Coaches Vote

AUesquire

Saturday morning, I heard Jim Donnan on ESPN radio giving his "Expert analysis" of the upcoming games that day. The host posed the question to JD about Jim Tressel and the controversy surrounding his saying one thing and voting a different way. The "Donnan's a Tool" reference is because of his immediate response to the question, which was to snap back that we've got better things to talk about here. The host pushed further and the Coach said he was glad the coaches had a vote because it brought "Integrity" to the process.

Now, the problem I have is this. Donnan went on to defend Tressel (Mainly because they were interviewing him in a few minutes) by talking about how a coach has no time to do anything but worry about his own team. He spends every waking hour of every single day of the season, dealing with players, watching film, recruiting, giving speeches etc, etc, etc. He can't be expected to sit down and watch a ball game and know what other teams are doing.

WHAT??? :blink:

Funny thing, this is exactly what every coach in America will tell you. I only have time to worry about getting my team ready for the next game. So, my question is simple. WHY do coaches even have a vote if they all admit they have no clue what's going on around them? Integrity?

I'm with ya...Same goes for the media farts that vote in the AP. How many of them actually watch all or a majority of the games. There is no way to be honest to watch every game on any given Saturday. That is a bunch of games to watch in a period from basically noon Saturday to Sunday evening. You can't tell enough from just looking at the scores. ESPN box score is helpful in it gives the "gametrack" of who scored when. Like the TEnn/Cal game.....UT was up what 35-3 in the 4th. Final was 35-18 or something. Some might think fairly close game..late TD by UT, when in actuality it was Cal scoring some late TDs on the second team UT D to make it look closer than what it was.

I say take the media out of it FIRST. Then form a special committee (no current coaches) of past coaches and players to watch film and vote on teams. NO sorry cheating coaches who never really did anything with their career...i.e. Corso, Holtz. You get my drift.

Heck they could find 100 jor's like me and esquire that could do a better job of it than some of those boobs. I would do it for a lot less $$ than them also!!

Funny thing, this is exactly what every coach in America will tell you. I only have time to worry about getting my team ready for the next game. So, my question is simple. WHY do coaches even have a vote if they all admit they have no clue what's going on around them? Integrity?

That is why the coaches poll should be retired coaches. Like the poll Pat Dye, Gene Stallings, etc, etc, have started. Current coaches giving their ballots to the assistant athletic director or the mother of the water boy is inexcusable. Current coaches voting in a dishonest manner that would benefit their team is also inexcusable. But then what would you expect from a coach from Ohio State! Woody Hayes = asswipe, Jim Tressel = asswipe.

It's also why the media has such tremendous influence (bias) on the outcome of the polls.

The polls have effectively become a promotional vehicle for the media to pimp their upcoming properties. Polls are just one tool among many that are designed to ensure maximun advertising revenues.

i'm really not a fan of the coaches poll by any means.

also...take into effect, some coaches are coaching till 1am (est), have to deal with the post-game stuff, get a few hours of sleep...

THEN

they're supposed to rank all the teams based on some box scores and a couple espn highlights by sunday afternoon?

imo, someone changing a "coaches" poll and not telling the coach that they took the liberty to do it is a pretty big deal.

do recall, frank solich last year ranked lsu ahead of uga after uga beat lsu in the seccg. there are far too many discrepancies for the coaches poll that have any pull on the bcs.

And the bottomline is:

We need a playoff for the NC

Quit wasting your time on ESPN, ABC, Jim Donnan and all the rest of them. Each has it's own biases. Focus on getting the NCAA to get the balls to start a playoff.

Could we at least get Holtz to talk...EVER.

That would be a step in the right direction.

It is time to put Lou Holtz down

He was such a scumbag that he didnt even say anything nice after we embarressed his "USC will beat UGA by 2 TD" prediction

That is why the coaches poll should be retired coaches. Like the poll Pat Dye, Gene Stallings, etc, etc, have started. Current coaches giving their ballots to the assistant athletic director or the mother of the water boy is inexcusable. Current coaches voting in a dishonest manner that would benefit their team is also inexcusable. But then what would you expect from a coach from Ohio State! Woody Hayes = asswipe, Jim Tressel = asswipe.

I agree, and here is the link to the MCS poll.

http://www.mcspoll.com/

Woody Hayes = asswipe, Jim Tressel = asswipe.

Yes, but Woody had one hell of a right hook!

I agree with PT....WE NEED A PLAYOFF!

Archived