The call was right

AFTiger

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The appropriate question here is this.....

Assuming everything else in the play remains exactly the same except for Gilbert doesn't make contact with the reciever, is he able to make the catch?

if any of you wanna see the sequence here it is:

passinterferenceuw0.jpg

obviously no "tipped at the LOS" here

You can see the defender has made contact with Doucet before the ball is tipped. It is tough to say if Doucet could have made a play on it, but at the very least it was defensive holding which would have been a first down.

Just thought some of you would like to see the pics :cheers:

As a former high school official, it was obviously pass interference. He was being held long before brock tipped the pass away....HOWEVER, that call nor the one reversed against LSU in the first half had any bearing on the game. To blame officiating because of a loss is just an easy excuse.

LSU lost that game because Auburn's defense was outstanding.... Auburn only scored 7 points because LSU's defense was outstanding...

LSU had many more plays to execute and didn't....those two plays, while (In my opinion) ruled incorrectly is not why LSU lost.... If those two plays go in LSU's favor it doesn't guarantee that they score or even gain another yard.

Thanks for your honest opinion. While I agree the overruled catch probably didn't affect the outcome I'm not sure how you can say the same for the overruled interference call. I think that would have increased LSU's chances of scoring a TD profoundly. We are not arguing about a non-called interference call. That's hard enough to digest. The flag was actually thrown but then the call was overruled. It's only natural for LSU fans to be suspicious. I would expect AU to have the same reaction if the roles were reversed. Don't you agree?

The game was played in AU and all the overruled calls went AU's way. There was many obvious no calls and just about all those went AU's way too. Were all those just a coincidence?

Not trying to take anything away from AU. I've always felt if you lose a game because of a bad call you should have not put yourself into that position in the first place. However, there was so many bad calls and this was such a hard fought game it's just very disappointing. I believe all the non-AU and non-LSU fans that watched the game today could have been treated to an excellent hard nosed fought SEC football game but instead they were treated to a game which outcome was effected by poor officiating and that's a travesty.

Getting that call does NOT mean a score is automatic.... I'm sure you agree with that, right???

In spite of the calls, and whether you agree or disagree with the ruling, we were still treated to an absolutely fabulous football game by two of the best teams in the country..

I do agree 100% on both statements. Congrats on a terrific win and game. AU has a great football team once again to go along with a great coaching staff. The best of luck to ya'll.

"It is tough to say if Doucet could have made a play on it"

No actually it's easy to say, Brock tipped the ball away and the reciever wouldn't have made the catch regardless of whether he was hit early or not by Gilbert.

No actually it's easy to say, Brock tipped the ball away and the reciever wouldn't have made the catch regardless of whether he was hit early or not by Gilbert.

How could the receiver even have a chance at the ball since he was being tackled before the ball got there? The fact that the ball was tipped doesnt matter. Because the receiver was taken OUT of the play before the ball was tipped.

But J Russell lost the game for LSU. The refs just helped.

ESPN just got it right. Showed the play and said, "Contact irrelevant because it was a tipped ball."

If its not PI when AU knocks the ball away...then it shouldnt have been PI when LSU got an interception.

How could the receiver even have a chance at the ball since he was being tackled before the ball got there? The fact that the ball was tipped doesnt matter. Because the receiver was taken OUT of the play before the ball was tipped.

Bowe, Doucet or whoever it was already was running on that trajectory and jumped where he was before Gilbert touched him. Brock was too far in front of him for him to have made a play on the ball even without the contact. You can argue penalty or no penalty, but the results of the actual play were not changed by the contact. He would not have caught it because it was no where near him after Brock got to it.

That is actually easy, the reciever was running a post and was slanting toward the endzone. He chose to leave his feet as can be seen in the picture so that he could cradle the ball and wrap it up tight when it got to him.

He is good, but I doubt that with his feet off the ground (from his own jump) that he has the ability to change direction in mid-air and move in front of Brock. Even if there isn't PI the result would have been the same, Brock knocking the ball down and turnover on downs.

Doucet could have been standing by himself behind Brock and he still wouldn't have caught it because it never would have made its way back there.

How about David Irons mugging the ever loving crap out of that LSU receiver in the end zone earlier in the game? I think he batted at the ball right after he form tackled him...maybe thats why they didnt call PI on that one either... ;)

"How about David Irons mugging the ever loving crap out of that LSU receiver in the end zone earlier in the game?"

I agree with you on this one. That was a bad non call.

How about David Irons mugging the ever loving crap out of that LSU receiver in the end zone earlier in the game? I think he batted at the ball right after he form tackled him...maybe thats why they didnt call PI on that one either... ;)

I can play this all night. How about Courtney Taylor and the CB swatting at each other halfway down the field, but only Taylor gets called for PI on a catch that put us deep into LSU territory?

I can play this all night. How about Courtney Taylor and the CB swatting at each other halfway down the field, but only Taylor gets called for PI on a catch that put us deep into LSU territory?

we can all lay this game but if there was anything to call it would have been defensive holding because you can see the CB has grabbed Doucet's legs before the ball has been touched by brock. nonetheless nothing will be called now as the game has been over about 5 hours now. :big:

That big win over Monroe got you all puffed up? ;)

Maybe this is the year that everyone gets the calls that were not called on Webster, don't jinx it cause you might just need it when Alabama plays them.

Webster hits Mix in the back on 4th and goal in 04. He dragged down a Oregon State reciever in OT in front of the ref on a 3rd down play, and on the next series OSU got called for exactly what Webster did and right in front of the same ref. Don't think I have to telll you about the Alabama game.

Agreed. AU won the game whether or not the PI call is made

BUT, going back to it. I don't think anyone here is saying the LSU WR would have made the catch OR that LSU would have automatically scored with the PI call....I am simply asking whether the contact made by the AU Defensive player on the LSU WR BEFORE THE BALL GOT THERE was PI. I think the pictures and replays shows the LSU WR was in fact touched before the ball was tipped or gotten to him. I thought the rule stated that the WR couldn't be touched before the ball go to them UNLESS it was tipped. Since he was tackled before it got tipped, isn't that PI?

I thought the rule stated that the WR couldn't be touched before the ball go to them UNLESS it was tipped. Since he was tackled before it got tipped, isn't that PI?

Not if you are an AU fan.

Also, they shouldnt have been able to waive the flag unless the pass was ruled uncatchable...which it never was.

BamaGrad03:

Problem with this notion is that the ball was tipped, which kept it from making it to the receivers hands....HE NEVER HAD A CHANCE AT IT!

This game was full of calls/no calls. That's what happens when two teams are fighting like hell and keeping each other from making plays. MICROSCOPE

Problem with this notion is that the ball was tipped, which kept it from making it to the receivers hands....HE NEVER HAD A CHANCE AT IT!

Neither did the AU WR who PROPERLY got the PI call since the LSU Defensive player knocked him down before the ball got to him in the 4th Q. There was another LSU defender there who INT'ed it...even if the first LSU guy hadn't knocked the AU WR down...would he have caught it? Not a chance, imo.

Whether the LSU WR would have caught it or not makes no difference. It is strictly a question of whether he was tackled before the ball got to him. I think looking above at the pictures show he was....

AGAIN, I am NOT SAYING LSU should have won...AU won it and deserved to win it.

I understand, Southlink. You know I am a fan of you in regards to respect.....no explanation needed.

Archived