The call was right

AFTiger

Maybe this is the year that everyone gets the calls that were not called on Webster

Man, you might be right on that one!

In all seriousness I think the DB's rep effects the calls. Webster was a great DB and got the benefit at times, Irons is being hyped up (so perhaps he got the benefit), I'm sure you could probably think of a Alabama db, say like Langham that was excellent and had alot of hype around him, that got away with things.

Like the big time recievers, they seems to be allowed to push off more and get questionable PI's more so than a average reciever.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was PI, but it's over and done with. They got the call wrong on several occasions today. Wrong calls on both sides. Which ever team loses will magnify the calls that did not go their way.

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

Well you need to say more. Why don't you do what Bama fans have done for a decade now and hang prints of this all around your house and restaurants like they do with the supposed "catch in the endzone" in an Auburn win years ago. I guarantee it will do you exactly as much good as it does them.

You can't tell anything from that angle. To establish what "you're saying" you'd have to show the entire photo series frame by frame. What you see there is a ball that has been tipped away and an AU player wrapping up a receiver. You can't establish the timing of either, but it is pretty clear to me that the ball is well away from the receiver as he is being hit. So I guess based on that, what you're "saying" is good call?

Thanks. Looked good to me, too. And to the replay crew upstairs.

I thought the rule stated that the WR couldn't be touched before the ball go to them UNLESS it was tipped. Since he was tackled before it got tipped, isn't that PI?

Not if you are an AU fan.

Also, they shouldnt have been able to waive the flag unless the pass was ruled uncatchable...which it never was.

Wrong on several counts.

When there's a question like that, the crew on the field has to make the call otherwise it's not reviewable. If they DON'T make the call then they can't retroactively do so.

They HAVE to throw the flag and then discuss it if there is a question. There obviously was a question. They asked the ref with the best vantage point if the ball was tipped before contact. He said it was. The replay crew upstairs reviewed the play and saw no reason to change the call on the field. As the refs were discussing it, the replay crew was making sure at the same time.

Everything was done properly.

You might think they got it wrong, you might whine like a cat stuck in a sewer grate -- as some clearly are -- but the refs did exactly what they were supposed to do and got the call right.

A lot of the other ones you guys are suggesting were wrong were also right. The only thing I saw at all that was untoward was the holding call on AU away from the play. I couldn't find that one.

Congrats AU Fans. The better team definitey did not win today, but I guess home field gets the breaks sometimes. What I want to know is if the refs want to rule tipping the ball before the ball before it gets to the WR being not a penalty, then we got HOSED on that call 2 times. Even after the game Tim Brando and the other guy were saying the same thing. We intercepted the ball earlier in the game and they called it back b/c they called PI on LSU. That was the same type play except our player interfered after we intercepted the ball. The AU player on the last drive was definitely hanging all over Davis's legs before the ball even got there. I do not know if you AU fans want to admit it, but you definitely got lucky today. Beating a team that out gained you and out played you. I guess we had it coming though because you all might have slightly out played us last year (4 or 5 missed FGs). But at least it was not determined by the zebras.

Congrats AU Fans. The better team definitey did not win today, but I guess home field gets the breaks sometimes. What I want to know is if the refs want to rule tipping the ball before the ball before it gets to the WR being not a penalty, then we got HOSED on that call 2 times. Even after the game Tim Brando and the other guy were saying the same thing. We intercepted the ball earlier in the game and they called it back b/c they called PI on LSU. That was the same type play except our player interfered after we intercepted the ball. The AU player on the last drive was definitely hanging all over Davis's legs before the ball even got there. I do not know if you AU fans want to admit it, but you definitely got lucky today. Beating a team that out gained you and out played you. I guess we had it coming though because you all might have slightly out played us last year (4 or 5 missed FGs). But at least it was not determined by the zebras.

it's killing you isn't it, sac.

bless your heart...you need to go take a pill and lie down. you posted this at 4:35 am?

maybe you guys will win next year.

also, why didn't russell throw to the end zone on the last play? 5 yards further, and you' d have gotten lots more sleep.

Louisiana Native and former voice of LSU basketball Tim Brando? Even him?

LSU outgained AU when it was trying to come from behind. They gained 75 of that in the last minute. Auburn held the ball 7 minutes longer and had the most sustained drive of the game. It was all they needed. Just as in 1988 when LSU crossed the 50 yard line ONCE...but it was all they needed. Don't say congrats and be a sore loser whiner. Go somewhere else and whine with your own kind.

It was PI, but it's over and done with. They got the call wrong on several occasions today. Wrong calls on both sides. Which ever team loses will magnify the calls that did not go their way.

I agree with this in its entirety.

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

That picture proves it's not PI b/c Brock is tipping it. Basically it could have gone either way, IMO. The timing was so close b/t the tip and Gilbert falling into the WR that it is really hard to call for sure.

<_< Look. Congrats to you guys. Enjoy the win, it was a huge one for Auburn.

But do us all a favor and don't try to reinvent what happened. Respect the truth.

thecall.jpg

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

That picture proves it's not PI b/c Brock is tipping it. Basically it could have gone either way, IMO. The timing was so close b/t the tip and Gilbert falling into the WR that it is really hard to call for sure.

But do us all a favor and don't try to reinvent what happened. Respect the truth.

thecall.jpg

So, if a defensive back EVER touches a receiver it is pass interference? lol. I thought there was a rule that said if the ball was uncatchable then there was no interference. The contact in no way affected his ability to catch the ball. No harm, no foul. A good correction by the refs imo.

And don't worry we are enjoying it and will continue to do so.

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

thecall.jpg

You guys are crying about ONE play. I thought that LSU was an offensive and defensive juggernaut. How could a SINGLE play derail such a powerhouse? Russell was supposed to be all-world. LSU was averaging just over 43 pts over those last 3 games. LSU had not allowed a more than 3 pts to an opponent the previous 3 games as well. ONE play cost you guys the game???

Do yourselves a favor, MOVE ON.

As a former high school official, it was obviously pass interference. He was being held long before brock tipped the pass away....HOWEVER, that call nor the one reversed against LSU in the first half had any bearing on the game. To blame officiating because of a loss is just an easy excuse.

LSU lost that game because Auburn's defense was outstanding.... Auburn only scored 7 points because LSU's defense was outstanding...

LSU had many more plays to execute and didn't....those two plays, while (In my opinion) ruled incorrectly is not why LSU lost.... If those two plays go in LSU's favor it doesn't guarantee that they score or even gain another yard.

In addition, had the pi call had been allowed to stand, who is to say LSU would have gotten a touchdown. Had they gotten a touchdown, does anyone believe Tuberville and Co. would have played so conservatively after that? No way! There are bad calls in about every game. Personally, I always thought it was not pass interference if the ball was uncatchable. The ball was uncatchable because its projection was rerouted in the opposite direction of the receiver directly to the ground.

I thought there was a rule that said if the ball was uncatchable then there was no interference. The contact in no way affected his ability to catch the ball. No harm, no foul. A good correction by the refs imo.

Would be wrong on the rule then as aupcolatiger said above. If that were true, Auburn should not have been given the PI call before that series in which LSU clearly interfered with the AU WR. Whether he can catch the ball or not due to someone else being in front of him or around him makes no difference.

The tip happened after the interference. Should have been PI.

Same thing happend to LSU earlier in the game.....that guy for LSU picked off a ball and they still called a interference. I thought LSU got screwed over twice in that idea. BUT....LSU had plenty of chances early in that game to put points on the board.

you are totally right, there were plenty of blown calls in that game. SEC refs suck so bad.

There are many plays in a game, that if you looked at them frame by frame, you would/could find an erroneous call or no-call by an official. Probably every play. There were several plays in this game where the call could have gone either way. No matter which way the call went, there would be equal protesting by both sides. The game is done and one team the victor. Next game is Buffalo.

Arguing with the posters from the other schools is like beating your head against the wall. Will a doggy, bammar, or paper tiger ever side with us? Sometimes yes, but most likely only when their view will benefit their team. Reading their posts is fun but do I really care what an opposing school's fans have to say on our board when it comes to complaining about how AU got all the calls in a game that affected thier team. Not really. What do you expect them to say. They have a vested interest in seeing AU fail. All 3 teams have to play us and the winner may possibly eliminate the other from future seccg competition. Why should they be on our board complaing about why/how we won, when they have their own boards to discuss how/why AU won. Several bammar boards have more threads and responses dedicated to our game than all the posts related to their game. Who is obsessed with whom. Lsu boards are in meltdown about this game but that is understandable. Let's just get on with the next game................

"As a former high school official, it was obviously pass interference. He was being held long before brock tipped the pass away....HOWEVER, that call nor the one reversed against LSU in the first half had any bearing on the game. To blame officiating because of a loss is just an easy excuse".

As a former MAC official, IMHO opinion his being "held" (actually interfered w/ since the ball was in the air) is irrelevant in this college ball scenario and it was not illegal interference for the following reasons. Unlike high school ball, college has the "uncatchable" factor for pass plays. Brock's play is exactly analogous to an overthrown ball where the receiver is interfered with BEFORE the ball gets there. If in the official's judgement the ball was not catchable BECAUSE of the interference before the ball got there, it's still interference, but if the ball could not physically have been caught (e.g. it's thrown into row 60), then the (otherwise) interference is nothing. (It still could of course be another penalty like a personal foul if the interference was unnecessarily violent). Now to our scenario. Although Gilbert was all over the receiver BEFORE the ball would otherwise have reached him, the LSU receiver IF NOT INTERFERED WITH still could not physicall have caught a ball batted 3 yards before it got to him. Correct call.

The officials DID screw up their mechanics on that play, leading to this confusion. Any official seeing the tipped ball (synonymous w/ batted in this instance) is obligated to demonstratively run up brushing the tips of his fingers to show the ball was tipped. I did not see anybody do that. The white hat should also probably have confered w/ his backjudge on such an important play before making his initial call declaration, just to be safe.

The call was not correct, It should have been defensive holding. I am not here to argue though, just present a different side. I know I am not going to change any minds. Au has a very good Football team and played their hearts out, as did LSU. My only regret is that LSU was not allowed the chance to decide the game on the field. Before you say we had other chances look at this. LSU had 10 possesions, 3 of which had blatantly bad calls that stopped the drive. when 30% of your production is killed by the refs you can only do so much.

Auburn has some calls go against them, I saw 2 that were arguable. Even these though were not deep in LSU territory and drive killing. LSU outplayed AU in every phacet besides rushing. LSU could have easily won this game without the Ref's interference in the game. this pick says it all.. Defensive holding. Not even arguable

016066628.jpg

#1) The game was decided on the field. That's the only way it can be decided.

#2) No official's decision kept Russell from throwing in the end zone on the final play.

#3) Any upset LSU fans can go cry into their '2003 National Champion' T-shirts. At least they have that bloody luxury.

The call was not correct, It should have been defensive holding. I am not here to argue though, just present a different side. I know I am not going to change any minds. Au has a very good Football team and played their hearts out, as did LSU. My only regret is that LSU was not allowed the chance to decide the game on the field. Before you say we had other chances look at this. LSU had 10 possesions, 3 of which had blatantly bad calls that stopped the drive. when 30% of your production is killed by the refs you can only do so much.

Auburn has some calls go against them, I saw 2 that were arguable. Even these though were not deep in LSU territory and drive killing. LSU outplayed AU in every phacet besides rushing. LSU could have easily won this game without the Ref's interference in the game. this pick says it all.. Defensive holding. Not even arguable

016066628.jpg

No WAY its defensive holding....Defensive holding is only called UNLESS the ball is in the air. Once the ball is in flight, its NOT defensive holding, its pass interference...

016066628.jpg

Go whine on your own forum. I'm getting sick of guys like you. LSU did not outplay AU in every FACET of the game (you spell like a corndog). Auburn was slightly ahead on yards when LSU started their last two drives. LSU got 75 yards in the last minute when AU was only trying to keep LSU out of the endzone. JR's stats were pretty mediocre until AU went into a prevent. After going ahead, AU chose to not take many risks and leave it up the defense. LSU's running game was non-existent. Auburn's kicking game (punting/kickoffs) was superior except for one field goal off the goal post. Both defenses were superb. I don't think there is much overall difference in the two teams. LSU is a very good football team that should win the rest of its games, as long as the players do a better job of getting past this game than fans like you have. LSU had a couple of key drives extended with penalties on 4th down. Brock tipped this ball away. It would not have been caught. Get over it. Get therapy if necessary, but get over it. If you can't get over it, go whine somewhere else.

Archived