The call was right

AFTiger

OK I don't know nearly as much about rules as some people here do, but I found this out of the 2006 NCAA rule book, pg FR-103. linky

c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team

B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it

could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable

forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable.

Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is

thrown. It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-I, IV, V, IX-XI,

XIV and XV):

1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and

establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard

beyond the neutral zone.

2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and

bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of

either team have equal rights to the ball. (A.R. 7-3-8-XII).

3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass

is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-XIII).

4. When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation,

simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and

contact by a Team B player occurs.

I would think since Brock batted that pass, that counts as two players making an attempt at the pass (Doucet being the other), therefore no pass interference. Right?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy to win.. I hate that we have to win like this, with all the IFs and BS. Both teams made mistakes.. luckily, we won. Would have been nice to get the FG in the 2nd Q.

BTW.. On how the tipped ball works... ONCE THE BALL HAS BEEN TIPPED.. PI CANT BE CALLED. That is how I have always heard it.. and it was so close.. because our guy grabbed LSU's almost exactly when the ball was tipped.. probably a little bit before. Thank God we got the call. =D

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

Nice blindisde by Bowe to make his last reception.....or shall we talk about the NO call on AU's last possession. :no:

Now you are just making stuff up...

Actually he isn't, like I said I don't know if it was shown on TV, but I was in the stands watching for them to go right back to Bowe, and they missed the PI on a third down Auburn play (the one with the playfake) that would have kept that drive alive.

I also thought the LSU imcompletion should have been a fumble in the first half, but I couldn't tell well cause the players backs were to me.

Can say I'm making stuff up if you want, but if read I am being fair and pointed out several misses for both teams. And I'll stand by the way the defenses were playing noone was garunteed for Auburn or LSU of getting into the endzone no matter where the ball was spotted.

The big difference as far as penalties, where most of the bad calls against us were drive killers, most of Auburns really had no effect. The Pl call on Francis when we got the lNT was bogus, your WR was falling down and Francis was just on him so close that he tripped also. There was no push or contact that caused it. This game was horribly officiated, just sad that it had to happen like this and take the game out of the players hands on so many occasions. We made alot of mistakes, and should have struck while the lron was hot... but we didn't. So cheerish the win, until next year.

And the offensive PI call didn't take Auburn out of the red zone? and the missed one on third down didn't stop a crucial drive that could have made that final drive by LSU a moot point? And the Francis guy tackled Taylor and kept him from coming back to the ball.

Babies, just like 04, they screwed us and gave Auburn a shot at points with a penalty..... but never discuss how on 3rd and 14 from the 45 LSU was stopped but wait...... a 15 yard facemask away from the ball... which moved LSU into FG range.

Move Gilbert back a step so he doesn't touch Bowe...would the play have been a completed pass? No. Brock's tip would have happened anyway. LSU was no better or worse as a result.

img9664903.jpg

thats all lm saying...

That picture proves it's not PI b/c Brock is tipping it. Basically it could have gone either way, IMO. The timing was so close b/t the tip and Gilbert falling into the WR that it is really hard to call for sure.

I think it was without doubt PI

But, with that said, AU won the game and deserved the win so more power to them.

Both sides can agree that the refs are without doubt terrible. Not sure a single SEC team has not been affected by an absolutely terrible call

It's one thing to have bad calls (happens in every SEC college fb game) but to overturn a correct call turning it into a bad call with so much on the line is inexcusable.

Hester caught that pass in the first half. You can't tell me that the replay showed conclusively that he did not. If the ruling on the field would have been an incomplete pass I would have thought it may have been a catch but the ruling would stand because the replay was not conclusive enough to change the call. The ruling was a complete pass. How in the world was it overturned?

Thanks Slink for your honest non-biased opinion regarding the call. Why do you think AU deserved to win the game? What were the overall stats of the game? I honestly thought it was one of those games where both teams played hard and deserved to win. It's very frustrating and disappointing to see bad officiating play such a role in a hard fought game by both teams. The bad officiating no doubt played a role in the outcome of the game.

As a former high school official, it was obviously pass interference. He was being held long before brock tipped the pass away....HOWEVER, that call nor the one reversed against LSU in the first half had any bearing on the game. To blame officiating because of a loss is just an easy excuse.

LSU lost that game because Auburn's defense was outstanding.... Auburn only scored 7 points because LSU's defense was outstanding...

LSU had many more plays to execute and didn't....those two plays, while (In my opinion) ruled incorrectly is not why LSU lost.... If those two plays go in LSU's favor it doesn't guarantee that they score or even gain another yard.

As a former high school official, it was obviously pass interference. He was being held long before brock tipped the pass away....HOWEVER, that call nor the one reversed against LSU in the first half had any bearing on the game. To blame officiating because of a loss is just an easy excuse.

LSU lost that game because Auburn's defense was outstanding.... Auburn only scored 7 points because LSU's defense was outstanding...

LSU had many more plays to execute and didn't....those two plays, while (In my opinion) ruled incorrectly is not why LSU lost.... If those two plays go in LSU's favor it doesn't guarantee that they score or even gain another yard.

Thanks for your honest opinion. While I agree the overruled catch probably didn't affect the outcome I'm not sure how you can say the same for the overruled interference call. I think that would have increased LSU's chances of scoring a TD profoundly. We are not arguing about a non-called interference call. That's hard enough to digest. The flag was actually thrown but then the call was overruled. It's only natural for LSU fans to be suspicious. I would expect AU to have the same reaction if the roles were reversed. Don't you agree?

The game was played in AU and all the overruled calls went AU's way. There was many obvious no calls and just about all those went AU's way too. Were all those just a coincidence?

Not trying to take anything away from AU. I've always felt if you lose a game because of a bad call you should have not put yourself into that position in the first place. However, there was so many bad calls and this was such a hard fought game it's just very disappointing. I believe all the non-AU and non-LSU fans that watched the game today could have been treated to an excellent hard nosed fought SEC football game but instead they were treated to a game which outcome was effected by poor officiating and that's a travesty.

You didn't know all those refs are from Auburn? Maybe it was to make up for the holding calls they never called on the LSU OTs. I think CBS even mentioned how the AU DEs were getting held on to practically eery play.

bad calls went for and against both teams. fact is russell's poor game management at the end hurt us more than the overturned PI call.

what's done is done and we move on

bad calls went for and against both teams. fact is russell's poor game management at the end hurt us more than the overturned PI call.

The voice of reason....You are right. I think AU and LSU could very well both be in a BCS game in January!!!!

The voice of reason....You are right. I think AU and LSU could very well both be in a BCS game in January!!!!

I refuse to sully the war we witnessd today by blaming officials when both teams were hurt by terrible officiating.

So once again the LSU/Auburn game has the nation talking about SEC Football for a multitude of reasons, some good and some bad.

good luck

I refuse to sully the war we witnessd today by blaming officials when both teams were hurt by terrible officiating.

So once again the LSU/Auburn game has the nation talking about SEC Football for a multitude of reasons, some good and some bad.

good luck

The AU Tigers will be rooting for the LSU TIgers the rest of the way. Well, at least this particular Auburn man!!!!!!

Thanks for your honest opinion. While I agree the overruled catch probably didn't affect the outcome I'm not sure how you can say the same for the overruled interference call. I think that would have increased LSU's chances of scoring a TD profoundly. We are not arguing about a non-called interference call. That's hard enough to digest. The flag was actually thrown but then the call was overruled. It's only natural for LSU fans to be suspicious. I would expect AU to have the same reaction if the roles were reversed. Don't you agree?

The game was played in AU and all the overruled calls went AU's way. There was many obvious no calls and just about all those went AU's way too. Were all those just a coincidence?

Not trying to take anything away from AU. I've always felt if you lose a game because of a bad call you should have not put yourself into that position in the first place. However, there was so many bad calls and this was such a hard fought game it's just very disappointing. I believe all the non-AU and non-LSU fans that watched the game today could have been treated to an excellent hard nosed fought SEC football game but instead they were treated to a game which outcome was effected by poor officiating and that's a travesty.

I think we saw today(not just at Auburn) that something isn't quite right in the replay system. Whoever was looking at the replays today in Auburn, the Vanderbilt game, and in oregon, must have had too much to drink before the game. Not sure how that many calls actually got REVIEWED and were still missed...

We got huge breaks today on several calls....but i'm not going to appologize for it. We've been the victim far too often in the past for me to ever appologize when we actually get the break.

As far as the flag being thrown and then picked up, it happens all the time. If you have watched a lot of football like I'm sure you have, you see that all the time. Now, not in the same type of circumstances, but there are SEVEN officials on the field. Not ONE of them can see everything that happens. They all have very specific areas they are responsible for. Most tipped passes occur at the line of scrimmage where the umpire will come into play and motion the pass was tipped...HOWEVER, an official covering two opposing players 20 or 30 yards downfield isn't going to have any idea that the pass was tipped at all...why?? he's not looking there.

I say the same thing for the over ruled Pass Interference call, because LSU could have just as easily turned the ball over on the next snap as they could have scored... Getting that call does NOT mean a score is automatic.... I'm sure you agree with that, right???

In spite of the calls, and whether you agree or disagree with the ruling, we were still treated to an absolutely fabulous football game by two of the best teams in the country..

Here is the quote from the NCAA rulebook:

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a

Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious

and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable

forward pass.

Seems to me that by that definition its NOT pass interference. The contact could NOT prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving the pass, since the pass never arrived.

What am I missing :blink:

good luck

A very smart and classy LSU fan has just spoken.

Bad calls were made against both teams. We only see the missed ones where the ball is going. We don't see all the missed hold calls, illegal block calls, etc. Every play can probably be nitpicked in which a call could have been missed.

The PI call that was reversed could have easily gone either way because it was so close. Heck, it was close in slow motion, so how do you think it looked at regular speed. It was overturned, not by the official that threw the PI flag, but probably by another official or two that thought they say the ball tipped either before or at the same time the LSU player was hit. When that happens, a play like that can be overturned if the official throwing the flag did not see the tip and only saw the PI. Then he has to take the word of his peers when they say it was tipped before or at the same time.

Refs are human and the action is so fast, that they will miss things at times that we see on TV. There were a couple of times I saw illegal blocks in the back by LSU players that helped open up a couple of big runs. But, I understand that stuff happens and I am not going to say that it cost us the game if we would have lost. Like aupcolatiger said, if LSU would have gotten those calls, there is not guarantee they still would have scored. You can play the "what if" game all you want, but there will always be a human aspect of the game and if you can't deal with that, then you may need to stop watching sports altogether.

Here is the quote from the NCAA rulebook:

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a

Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious

and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable

forward pass.

Seems to me that by that definition its NOT pass interference. The contact could NOT prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving the pass, since the pass never arrived.

What am I missing :blink:

Upon review of the rulebook, I found this item on page 52 (link:NCAA Rules)

Catchable Forward Pass

ARTICLE 4. A catchable forward pass is an untouched legal forward

pass beyond the neutral zone to an eligible player who has a reasonable

opportunity to catch the ball. When in question, a legal forward pass is

catchable (A.R. 2-19-4-I and II and A.R. 7-3-8-XVIII).

This rule seems to be pretty clear. You can't rule interference on an uncatchable ball, right?

Still, a tough call if you are a LSU fan. I always hope for a clean game with no calls like this to create controversy.

The appropriate question here is this.....

Assuming everything else in the play remains exactly the same except for Gilbert doesn't make contact with the reciever, is he able to make the catch?

It seems to me that refs usually always give the receiver the benefit of the doubt that he could've made the catch. For instance tonight, on Ainge's second possible INT, his receiver wasn't in place to make the catch yet he was pushed, and the PI call was made anyways.

The appropriate question here is this.....

Assuming everything else in the play remains exactly the same except for Gilbert doesn't make contact with the reciever, is he able to make the catch?

No, and that's why the 'no call' is not a big deal, it would be like calling holding on a player 30 yards behind the play, it did not affect the outcome of the play at all...

Archived