Brad Lester

SCWarEagle

no clue. i actually thought this was the worst game borges has called since he came to auburn. there were very few times in the game where i thought we were even putting pressure on their defense, and we certainly didn't "lean on them" with the big guys up front. we had what? 2 or 3 running plays in the first ten? what kind of gameplan is that when you're working off a script? anyway, i thought not utilizing lester was just one of many weak moves by al. i love the guy, and everyone has an off day. he just better thank muschamp for covering his up.

The two times he did get the ball, he got stuffed. He's a speed guy and speed isn't going to beat that defense. Even when Irons was hit initially, he was breaking tackles so they went with the more physical guy.

He just did not fit the style of play we needed yesterday. Next few weeks, he may be perfect.

Boy, you can say that again. ( :poke: )

LSU's defensive line is the big reason we didn't see Lester get the ball more. The only way we win that game is to pass and use the running game just to keep them off balance.

Style of play, type of game, and speed of LSU were the big factors in this game.

Auburn will put 30 a game avg. on the rest of the schedule this season.

I need to come to Al's defense here. This was the best defense we will see all year, possibly the best in the nation. Al said after the game that they out thought themselves in the first half by trying to be TOO imaginative and not taking it straight at LSU. Still, there were times when we saw new wrinkles in the offense. The main one was the pass to Carl Stewart on the scoring drive. That was a brilliant play called at the perfect time. They also fooled everyone in the country by having Brandon run a sneak on the goal line. The offense didn't run up huge numbers, but I think that had more to do with LSU's D than bad game planning by Auburn.

Yea you can say that again...........out thought ourself. So, that's why we called 7 Student Body Rights In a Row..........then Lester came in, I told my buddy..........Watch this, Student Body Left. I'm not knockin' CAB, I'm just saying, that gameplan didn't resemble a gameplan that CAB had been working on since the Georgia game last year......I don't know, maybe he Highly underestimated their Overall Team speed and Strength on defense. Anyway, War "BY GOD" Eagle

seriously? the best defense people can come up with is "style of play"? i'm gonna pass on that one. if warrick dunn can run between the tackle in the national football league, brad lester can play in the sec. when exactly did he look like just a speed back against msu? i must be the only one that saw him take a linebacker right in the chest, bounce off, and run for a touchdown. the correct answer is: he didn't get the ball b/c we never got into any kind of rhythm on offense or playcalling so we just left kenny out there.

i love borges. i think he's one of the best coordinators in the country. he's the only one i think could've handled the caddy/ronnie duo as effectively. he just had a bad, bad outing. we came out throwing WAY too frequently, and it absolutely didn't work (zero first quarter first downs).

the best thing about al is his ability to adjust. he did that at half. we scraped the sissy act, went to the two tight end set, and ran the ball. that was the best way to start the game, and it would've given us a chance to use all of our best playmakers (irons, lester, taylor, and stewart) over the course of the game. al's a great coach; he just did a bad job of gameplanning and that hurt our ability to utilize our personnel.

One thing I didn't really understand is why we only ran one screen play the entire game.

I thought they tried to run it several times. The one where Kenny slipped was going to be

a huge gainer.

seriously? the best defense people can come up with is "style of play"? i'm gonna pass on that one. if warrick dunn can run between the tackle in the national football league, brad lester can play in the sec.

Warrick Dunn also has an NFL offensive line. Perhaps one of the best in the league. He also has a dual threat QB that defenses have to account for. And there are games when Dunn gets stuffed too and a power back like Duckett is more effective.

when exactly did he look like just a speed back against msu? i must be the only one that saw him take a linebacker right in the chest, bounce off, and run for a touchdown. the correct answer is: he didn't get the ball b/c we never got into any kind of rhythm on offense or playcalling so we just left kenny out there.

I disagree. MSU's defense is decent, but it isn't in the same area code as LSU's.

i love borges. i think he's one of the best coordinators in the country. he's the only one i think could've handled the caddy/ronnie duo as effectively. he just had a bad, bad outing. we came out throwing WAY too frequently, and it absolutely didn't work (zero first quarter first downs).

I'll agree with this. I think the strategy was to soften up LSU a little since they'd be loaded for bear to stuff Irons. But that only works if you're making completions.

the best thing about al is his ability to adjust. he did that at half. we scraped the sissy act, went to the two tight end set, and ran the ball. that was the best way to start the game, and it would've given us a chance to use all of our best playmakers (irons, lester, taylor, and stewart) over the course of the game. al's a great coach; he just did a bad job of gameplanning and that hurt our ability to utilize our personnel.

I think it was a combo of gameplan and execution. I would have preferred establishing the run first, but I can see the logic in the other approach. It just didn't work. Hindsight and all.

I would have liked to see us start the game off or change to earlier, the double TE sets. If LSU was playing man to man and had the box stacked to stop the run, we needed to offset that. They have a bunch of new folks in the front 7 at LSU, and it is a tribute to LSU's coaching and recruiting that they are that good already, but we should have made more of an effort to run it at them and wear them down. We came out almost conceding the run and trying to throw the short dinky stuff. Just my opinion, but the play action stuff is more effective and the blitzing less likely when you are running it at them more.

All that said, we did enough to win and did make those changes in the 2nd half...especially on the TD drive.

The thing I noticed...and we're supposed to have the whole O in now...is that there's none of that AUsome motion and everything that we saw in 2004. Where's that? And the bunch formations, etc. Saw a little of that, but not much, and not imaginatively used.

:au::homer:

Althoug it is easy to Sunday morning QB a game plan - the thing that I most enjoy about CAB is that he can, and does, adjust. In the past I could tell you whether we were going to be effective on "O" after the first couple of possessions.

On a positive note, this shows that the team is perfectly capable of winning a "gut check" game. This could be the catalyst we need to take the next step - just like the 2004 season.

Given that this was such a defensive oriented game and that LSU was not moving the ball effectively on us, do you think it's possible that CTT told Borges not to take unnecessary risks and play field position? The defense was playing lights out and Bliss was punting them back to the Stone Age.

Althoug it is easy to Sunday morning QB a game plan - the thing that I most enjoy about CAB is that he can, and does, adjust. In the past I could tell you whether we were going to be effective on "O" after the first couple of possessions.

On a positive note, this shows that the team is perfectly capable of winning a "gut check" game. This could be the catalyst we need to take the next step - just like the 2004 season.

I think you've nailed it -- Borges is truly adaptable to the situation. This is such a relief to watch someone who knows what he's doing.

Given that this was such a defensive oriented game and that LSU was not moving the ball effectively on us, do you think it's possible that CTT told Borges not to take unnecessary risks and play field position? The defense was playing lights out and Bliss was punting them back to the Stone Age.

This is highly probable...also what you said about softening up the defensive front with the passing game to open up the game. Except LSUs secondary turned out to be much better than anticipated with a couple of new guys in there???

Not Sunday am quarterbacking, just curious why they waited until halftime to make the adjustment. It all worked out and I'm not being critical of CAB, I love the guy. All year long, we were going to run the ball and be physical vs anybody, and we didn't do that in the 1st half. Like I said, it looked like we were conceding that we wouldn't be able to run and were throwing the short dinky stuff instead. Maybe they saw something on film they felt that we could exploit, but when the LSU defensive plan became apparent on the field, it seems like they would have reacted sooner rather than later.

It was a great win for us and I am enjoying giving these LSU folks over here in TX some grief...cuz lord knows they were giving it to me for weeks before the game!

Just a Thought but may be this was a day for the DEFENSE and the game plan was to beat them with the D not the O...after all this was Coach M day to shine against his former employeer. We are gonna have a lot of opportunities to use our offence this year..FLORIDA come to mind then GA then BAMA. Maybe the game plan sat vs LSU was let the O do what it could to win the game in which it did But I think the game plan was set for the D and Kicking Game...Just my Opinion..

Well, I don't buy that. We went in wanting to move the ball and score points. But once the game got going, it was apparent that the defenses were really fast and strong and the game could come down to one play. So once we realized our D wasn't handling them, we played the field position/don't make a killer mistake game. But I don't think for a second that we planned it this way the whole time.

Archived