Enough with the late hit on Hester crapola

TitanTiger

LateHitMyArse.jpg

LateHitMyArse2.jpg

Hester was clearly in bounds and it was not helmet to helmet. The first shot shows it's his shoulder going into Hester's face and the second shows Hester is clearly in bounds.

LateHitMyArse.jpg

LateHitMyArse2.jpg

Hester was clearly in bounds and it was not helmet to helmet. The first shot shows it's his shoulder going into Hester's face and the second shows Hester is clearly in bounds.

Uh Titan i agree with the inbounds part but i am confused to how you conclude that he isnt planting his headgear on Hesters helmet. His shoulder is even with Hester's shoulder . So where exactly do you think the Auburns players head is at.

It is down and going right into Hester's chin.

It looks like his head is over Hester's shoulder and to the side of his helmet when taking both pics into account. If there's helmet to helmet contact, it's a side swipe at best...certainly nothing to be up at arms or demanding a penalty over.

LateHitMyArse.jpg

LateHitMyArse2.jpg

Uh Titan i agree with the inbounds part but i am confused to how you conclude that he isnt planting his headgear on Hesters helmet. His shoulder is even with Hester's shoulder . So where exactly do you think the Auburns players head is at.

It is down and going right into Hester's chin.

The shoulder doing the hitting is down in the LSU guys chest. The helmet also is clearly below the LSU guys helmet. If it is going right into Hester's chin, then Hester has a much longer chin than Jay Leno.

I get tired of candy-ass, ticky-tack interpretations of these kinds of rules. In the UT-UF game, a UT interception runback for a TD was called back for roughing the passer. Said he hit the QB in the head. Replay showed he was being blocked on one shoulder (and possibly held) and reached up with his other hand to try and deflect the pass. He didn't get the deflection and his hand came down and rather lightly made contact with Leak's helmet. It was obviously not intentional and certainly wasn't anything glaring or flagrant. That's ridiculous...just as calling a helmet to helmet hit here would have been.

I get tired of candy-ass, ticky-tack interpretations of these kinds of rules. In the UT-UF game, a UT interception runback for a TD was called back for roughing the passer. Said he hit the QB in the head. Replay showed he was being blocked on one shoulder (and possibly held) and reached up with his other hand to try and deflect the pass. He didn't get the deflection and his hand came down and rather lightly made contact with Leak's helmet. It was obviously not intentional and certainly wasn't anything glaring or flagrant. That's ridiculous...just as calling a helmet to helmet hit here would have been.

I guess according to you guys his head must be down by hesters crotch. Damn that Auburn player has a long neck.

I know i have Purple and gold glasses on but they are not near as bad as your prescriptions. LOL

I will just have to agree to disagree. Because you arent changing my mind and i am definately not changing yours.

Either way we lost and you won. Enjoy it cause next year in Baton Rouge is already marked on the calender.

Geaux LSU

I guess according to you guys his head must be down by hesters crotch. Damn that Auburn player has a long neck.

I know i have Purple and gold glasses on but they are not near as bad as your prescriptions. LOL

I will just have to agree to disagree. Because you arent changing my mind and i am definately not changing yours.

Either way we lost and you won. Enjoy it cause next year in Baton Rouge is already marked on the calender.

Geaux LSU

Obviously, you've never played before. This is definately a legal hit. Brock is hitting with his right shoulder pad under Hestor's chin -- textbook tackle. If he led with his head and it was a helmet-to-helmet contact as per your pansy-azz whine, Hestor's head would be snapped back instead of leaning forward as the photo shows. The ref is in perfect position and he isn't even reaching for his flag. Why do you think that is?

Geaux LSU

Obviously, you've never played before. This is definately a legal hit. Brock is hitting with his right shoulder pad under Hestor's chin -- textbook tackle. If he led with his head and it was a helmet-to-helmet contact as per your pansy-azz whine, Hestor's head would be snapped back instead of leaning forward as the photo shows. The ref is in perfect position and he isn't even reaching for his flag. Why do you think that is?

Well once again you dont know what your talking about.

I played in Jr. High not that that matters. Even though i had the football knowledge i didnt have the size, speed , and hit my growth spurts a year after everyone because i started school when i was four.

Oh and i guess growing up with a High School Football Coach and from the time i was three i spent every day on a football practice field all the way through paying for my college by working as a football manager to pay for it. That means every single day learning and watching College Coaches teach to college players.

Let me have your pedigree. Uh i played in high school Duh . I have watched alot of games Duh. There are many people that know more than me about football but i doubt that it is you.

Hell your team got the breaks . Be honest and greatfull because i wish my team had got them.

That is how football is and i will be the first to admit that the LSU player interfeared with your receiver on a missed call . Admit that they missed a few LSU's way too . And this is either Helmet to Helmet or it is spearing take your pick. It wasnt called and doesnt really matter now does it.

Congrats on the win and you have a hellofa team.

Oh and even though i dont like Tubberville he is one hell of a Coach and i cant believe you people almost got rid of him a few years back.

Enjoy the season and good luck.

I played in Jr. High not that that matters. Even though i had the football knowledge i didnt have the size, speed , and hit my growth spurts a year after everyone because i started school when i was four.

Oh and i guess growing up with a High School Football Coach and from the time i was three i spent every day on a football practice field all the way through paying for my college by working as a football manager to pay for it. That means every single day learning and watching College Coaches teach to college players.

Let me have your pedigree. Uh i played in high school Duh . I have watched alot of games Duh. There are many people that know more than me about football but i doubt that it is you.

Hell your team got the breaks . Be honest and greatfull because i wish my team had got them.

That is how football is and i will be the first to admit that the LSU player interfeared with your receiver on a missed call . Admit that they missed a few LSU's way too . And this is either Helmet to Helmet or it is spearing take your pick. It wasnt called and doesnt really matter now does it.

Oh and even though i dont like Tubberville he is one hell of a Coach and i cant believe you people almost got rid of him a few years back.

Nice dodge of my question of why the Head Linesman isn't reaching for his flag, btw. The central issue of this post was whether or not the (legal) hit on Hester was late or not. The photos clearly show Hester inbounds. Then, the issue of helmet-to-helmet contact was raised by you. And again, the photos clearly show otherrwise as Hester's head would be snapped back if the first contact was to the helmet. Now, you're backpedaling and falling back on the hit being a "spearing" infraction. And again, the photos clearly show Brock's hit being administered with his right shoulderpad under Hester's chin and not leading with his helmet. FYI: Rule 2-24-1 (defines Spearing:) Spearing is the use of the helmet (including the facemask) in an attempt to punish the opponent. Sorry, but from these photographs I see no evidence of Spearing per the official definition.

Re: football pedigree. You're right. I cannot match your 3-yr old child's perspective on the nuances of proper hitting technique. I coach proper technique for blocking & tackling because I don't want my sons or any of the kids on my team getting hurt. As a coach, it's my responsibility to know the rules to be able to teach them to my players. In this, I've studied the rule book enough to consider becoming a certified official. Perhaps later, but right now coaching is more fun. We do have a couple of posters on this board that are football officials: Aupcola & Tiger in Spain. Would you care to get their professional opinions on this possible infraction issue, or will you continue to rely on your vast knowledge gleaned from years of being not a player or a coach but, a football manager?

Obligatory Platitudes: None of this really matters. You have a hell of a team. Congrats on a great game. I wish you nothing but the best the rest of the season. Next time maybe your team will get ALL the calls to go your way. Good luck & enjoy the season. :rolleyes:

Nice dodge of my question of why the Head Linesman isn't reaching for his flag, btw. The central issue of this post was whether or not the (legal) hit on Hester was late or not. The photos clearly show Hester inbounds. Then, the issue of helmet-to-helmet contact was raised by you. And again, the photos clearly show otherrwise as Hester's head would be snapped back if the first contact was to the helmet. Now, you're backpedaling and falling back on the hit being a "spearing" infraction. And again, the photos clearly show Brock's hit being administered with his right shoulderpad under Hester's chin and not leading with his helmet. FYI: Rule 2-24-1 (defines Spearing:) Spearing is the use of the helmet (including the facemask) in an attempt to punish the opponent. Sorry, but from these photographs I see no evidence of Spearing per the official definition.

Re: football pedigree. You're right. I cannot match your 3-yr old child's perspective on the nuances of proper hitting technique. I coach proper technique for blocking & tackling because I don't want my sons or any of the kids on my team getting hurt. As a coach, it's my responsibility to know the rules to be able to teach them to my players. In this, I've studied the rule book enough to consider becoming a certified official. Perhaps later, but right now coaching is more fun. We do have a couple of posters on this board that are football officials: Aupcola & Tiger in Spain. Would you care to get their professional opinions on this possible infraction issue, or will you continue to rely on your vast knowledge gleaned from years of being not a player or a coach but, a football manager?

Obligatory Platitudes: None of this really matters. You have a hell of a team. Congrats on a great game. I wish you nothing but the best the rest of the season. Next time maybe your team will get ALL the calls to go your way. Good luck & enjoy the season. :rolleyes:

What a condescending jerk.

You think your gods gift to football because you read a referee book and you Coach some kids.

Well damn i bet they are looking to fire Tubberville now and install you as Coach, Genius.

And also do you expect him to reach for it in the still picture. You sure got me.

And even if he had thrown the flag based on what happenned in the rest of the game he would have been overruled.

It is funny that Auburn people are the only ones that think there was good officiating in that game. The game announcers didnt think so and neither does anyone else that doesnt have an Auburn pedigree.

Time to move on to our cupcakes.

You think your gods gift to football because you read a referee book and you Coach some kids.

Well damn i bet they are looking to fire Tubberville now and install you as Coach, Genius.

And also do you expect him to reach for it in the still picture. You sure got me.

And even if he had thrown the flag based on what happenned in the rest of the game he would have been overruled.

It is funny that Auburn people are the only ones that think there was good officiating in that game. The game announcers didnt think so and neither does anyone else that doesnt have an Auburn pedigree.

You've got ... ... nothing: no photographic proof of any infractions, no supporting evidence to buttress your feeble opinons, and most illuminating -- no ability to comprehend simple rules even when someone else looks them up & prints them out for you. And when you're exposed for the fraud that you are, you resort to namecalling. Nice.

The SEC head of officials has reviewed all LSU claims of "bad" officiating in the AU-LSU game and concluded that the on-field refs got all the calls right. Does that fact register with you at all? If you've got something to debate, then bring it. Otherwise, accept the fact that you've got ... ... nothing.

My interpretation, of course I am biassed and think they should have called anything possible, but all in all it is in bounds. And my firm belief that all this helemt to helmet bs is weaking the game, I do not think that was a bad hit.

From all of the friends I had that went to the game, they said that it was brutal, just a pure beating on both ends. I am compeltey depressed that LSU lost, but Happy as hell the rest of the country can see what the SEC is week in and week out. The ferocity does not stop here, it continues with LSU/FLA, LSU / Tenn, LSU /Bama , AU/FLA, AU UGA, AU/ Bama and on and on.

My interpretation, of course I am biassed and think they should have called anything possible, but all in all it is in bounds. And my firm belief that all this helemt to helmet bs is weaking the game, I do not think that was a bad hit.

From all of the friends I had that went to the game, they said that it was brutal, just a pure beating on both ends. I am compeltey depressed that LSU lost, but Happy as hell the rest of the country can see what the SEC is week in and week out. The ferocity does not stop here, it continues with LSU/FLA, LSU / Tenn, LSU /Bama , AU/FLA, AU UGA, AU/ Bama and on and on.

Good comments, geaux75. Anybody that watched that whole AU-LSU game last Saturday knows exactly how hard hitting it was.

Re helmet-to-helmet contact. It's a safety issue. Something had to be done to try to cut down on concussion-type injuries. I'm not opposed to the rule at all, especially after witnessing Junior Rosegreen's hit on the UGA receiver in the 2004 game.

I would agree whole heartedly nomatter who you were pulling for, that was one hard hitting game on BOTH sides!

Good comments, geaux75. Anybody that watched that whole AU-LSU game last Saturday knows exactly how hard hitting it was.

Re helmet-to-helmet contact. It's a safety issue. Something had to be done to try to cut down on concussion-type injuries. I'm not opposed to the rule at all, especially after witnessing Junior Rosegreen's hit on the UGA receiver in the 2004 game.

Auloggerhead, don't get me wrong, I agree that something should be done about blatant spearing and so forth, but I think sticking your hat in someone's #'s and following through is not too bad. I guess what I am saying is yes, I wish they would have called the helmet to helmet for the sake of LSU, but at the same token, if the roles were reversed I would have been proud that that refs "let them play". I cannot say anthing further for fear of incriminating myself with my LSU brethern.

... Auloggerhead, don't get me wrong, I agree that something should be done about blatant spearing and so forth, but I think sticking your hat in someone's #'s and following through is not too bad. I guess what I am saying is yes, I wish they would have called the helmet to helmet for the sake of LSU, but at the same token, if the roles were reversed I would have been proud that that refs "let them play". I cannot say anthing further for fear of incriminating myself with my LSU brethern.

Actually, ... what you described: "sticking your hat in someone's #'s and following through is not too bad" could be considered a spearing violation. It's an old discarded tackling technique called "face tackling" that led to a lot of serious spinal injuries, especially when the tackler used the top of his helmet instead of his facemask. The counterpart on the offensive side is called "butt blocking" where the blocker leads with his helmet. These techniques can cause "axial loading" of the spine and can result in crushed vertabrae & severed spinal cords. The proper way to tackle is to hit with your shoulder with your head leaning to the other side. In the AU-LSU game, Will Herring had a perfect open field tackle on one the LSU RBs in the 1st half using this technique.

You've got ... ... nothing: no photographic proof of any infractions, no supporting evidence to buttress your feeble opinons, and most illuminating -- no ability to comprehend simple rules even when someone else looks them up & prints them out for you. And when you're exposed for the fraud that you are, you resort to namecalling. Nice.

The SEC head of officials has reviewed all LSU claims of "bad" officiating in the AU-LSU game and concluded that the on-field refs got all the calls right. Does that fact register with you at all? If you've got something to debate, then bring it. Otherwise, accept the fact that you've got ... ... nothing.

On this impartiality your talking about on the SEC refering to the people that reside in Alabama at the SEC office.

One thing i will say about the Pac 10 over the SEC is they at least are honest.

Evidently it isnt just little ol me that disagree's with you there Genius.

It is the professional announcers at the game. It is all people who know anything about football. The most used words in the broadcast were "Auburn sure got away with one there".

If you want : come over to the Tigerforums and they did a partial list of videos showing all the right calls in the game. It didnt even include this horrible non call and even the most fervent of Auburn fans will see the light. That is if your honest.

If not then no amount of talking is going to convince you. And i didnt start the namecalling there Genius.

There will come a time when the Refs make a questionable call against Auburn . But i doubt it will be a home game !!!

... On this impartiality your talking about on the SEC refering to the people that reside in Alabama at the SEC office.

One thing i will say about the Pac 10 over the SEC is they at least are honest.

Evidently it isnt just little ol me that disagree's with you there Genius.

It is the professional announcers at the game. It is all people who know anything about football. The most used words in the broadcast were "Auburn sure got away with one there".

If you want : come over to the Tigerforums and they did a partial list of videos showing all the right calls in the game. It didnt even include this horrible non call and even the most fervent of Auburn fans will see the light. That is if your honest.

If not then no amount of talking is going to convince you. And i didnt start the namecalling there Genius.

There will come a time when the Refs make a questionable call against Auburn . But i doubt it will be a home game !!!

I waste enough of my time on this board. I don't need to add to it by visiting rival fan boards. But let me take a guess which plays the pictures are about:

1. non-PI call on the play involving Early Doucet.

2. PI call on the play involving Courtney Taylor which nullified an LSU interception.

3. Incomplete pass ruled on apparent catch & fumble by LSU's Hester.

4. Completed pass & down ruled on AU's Smith apparent catch & fumble.

1. & 2. were correct calls ACCORDING TO THE RULES. If the posters that spend all their time gathering/posting all the photo evidence would spend 5 minutes looking up the applicable rule, there would be zero controversy as they then would understand exactly why the refs ruled as they did. The same goes for the opinionated "professional" fools in the TV studios. The rules are right there written in black & white. If you don't ever bother to read or understand them, then you will always remain purposfully ignorant of them. Same goes for every freakin' Div-1A head coach getting paid +$1M/year, including Les "I-guess-I-need-to-get-a-better-understanding-of-the-rules" Miles, current points leader for the Understatement of the Year Award.

3. & 4. These two plays are the only refs' decisions where I can think of that a reversal could have been called. Trouble is, they didn't reverse the call even after review -- which tells me there wasn't ENOUGH evidence on the replay to overturn the initial ruling. Oh, well. You can't get calls to go your way all the time. AU has been on the losing side of close calls in the past, so it's time they got a few to go their way. Too bad for LSU. Yea for AU. It won't be like this for every game, but that's football for ya. It was a close game and AU came out on top -- this time. No apologies for that. :au:

Archived