Good article from a writer that is usually a UAT homer

Ranger12

But if you're an Auburn fan, worried that this game served as a warning of worse times to come, don't sweat it so much.

During the course of a long college football season that stretches from the last days of summer to early winter, great teams don't always play great. If Auburn's worth as a national championship contender is worth debating at the end of the season, the definition won't hinge on winning a road game over a decent South Carolina team by "only" seven points.

Thursday's game exposed a weakness in Auburn's defense, but there's time to fix it. And it's uncertain there's a lot that needs to be fixed.

Link

This was Auburn's best chance to impress people who hold votes in the USA Today coaches' poll and Harris rankings. Those voters had no games of their own to take up their attention, but the Tigers might've wasted an opportunity to draw more support for their cause.

I know I should not let this bother me, but it does slightly. We seemed unprepared for this game, similar to the Arkansas game a few years back where they ran rough-shot over us. It seemed at times like there was no Plan B. Our achilles heal this year may be the scrambling quarterback; Newton ate us up with his eluding the nearby rusher. It seemed to me that we only seemed to rush 3 or 4 guys 90% of the time, much different than the first four games. Any ways, I feel our schedule speaks volumes, and if we can win out, and that is a big if, I think it speaks for itself.

We seemed unprepared for this game, similar to the Arkansas game a few years back where they ran rough-shot over us.

True, but we won last night. I'll take an ugly win any day of the week over a loss.

We seemed unprepared for this game, similar to the Arkansas game a few years back where they ran rough-shot over us.

True, but we won last night. I'll take an ugly win any day of the week over a loss.

True, it says a lot that about the team that they can still get the win even without there best play. To make another comparison, USC has pulled a few of those out over the last three or four seasons against middle of the road PAC-1 teams.

Their quarterback was the real deal. Not only was he quick, but he threw what, two bad passes all night? Playing as we did last night, Florida will give us fits. We still beat everyone else on our schedule. :au:

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said his team scrapped its offensive game plan when his staff realized that Auburn was playing a "soft cover-2" defense. In other words, Auburn guarded heavily against the deep pass, which South Carolina has used well at times this year.
That surprise onside kick in the third quarter that led to Auburn's last touchdown saved the game. Also, in retrospect, it was an exceedingly obvious call for Auburn's Tommy Tuberville to make, considering how lazy South Carolina got on kickoff returns, expecting Matt Clark's kick to boom out of the end zone. It showed again that Tuberville manages a game much better than most.

These two comments should defuse some of the "we were unprepared" comments. USC had show the game plan which Auburn had prepared for, when spurrier seen it wasn't working for the first two drives he dumps it. Starts playing calling on the run which he is good at really good at, Newton played the best game of his collegiate career while he nickeled and dime us all over the field. CTT said after the game about noticing the lax way USC was taking to kickoffs and had set up that onside kick all week, which shows PREPARATION. CTT and staff were prepared for the game took there game plan away from them and they adjusted to calling plays from the hip faster than we did period.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said his team scrapped its offensive game plan when his staff realized that Auburn was playing a "soft cover-2" defense. In other words, Auburn guarded heavily against the deep pass, which South Carolina has used well at times this year.
That surprise onside kick in the third quarter that led to Auburn's last touchdown saved the game. Also, in retrospect, it was an exceedingly obvious call for Auburn's Tommy Tuberville to make, considering how lazy South Carolina got on kickoff returns, expecting Matt Clark's kick to boom out of the end zone. It showed again that Tuberville manages a game much better than most.

These two comments should defuse some of the "we were unprepared" comments. USC had show the game plan which Auburn had prepared for, when spurrier seen it wasn't working for the first two drives he dumps it. Starts playing calling on the run which he is good at really good at, Newton played the best game of his collegiate career while he nickeled and dime us all over the field. CTT said after the game about noticing the lax way USC was taking to kickoffs and had set up that onside kick all week, which shows PREPARATION. CTT and staff were prepared for the game took there game plan away from them and they adjusted to calling plays from the hip faster than we did period.

Isn't this the same complaint we have had in the past about coaches? Spurrier saw that what he had planned would not work...SO HE CHANGED IT. We did not change our plan. That is my only issue. The defense can play and play well....with the right plan.

But you can't go to a gunfight with a BB gun. If you show up with the BB gun, you MUST go and get the real thing. It's OK to coach during the game and not just before.

I agree with CCTAU. That is my only complaint. If they make adjustments and are doing something that we were not even close to stopping, why not do something about it? Especially at half-time, come out and try something different.

Isn't this the same complaint we have had in the past about coaches? Spurrier saw that what he had planned would not work...SO HE CHANGED IT. We did not change our plan. That is my only issue. The defense can play and play well....with the right plan.

But you can't go to a gunfight with a BB gun. If you show up with the BB gun, you MUST go and get the real thing. It's OK to coach during the game and not just before.

I was more talking to the point some were stressing during the game that we looked unprepared and lost. Yes we were lost at times because Spurrier was calling back yard football on us. Which he is good very good at.

I will add this to ponder had CWM reworked the D for stopping the little running plays when we lost containment by putting 4 on the line and a LB spy on newton we would have had to leave the WR more open to catching a deep ball. With the way Newton was playing do you really want to give him the 4-7 yard run or a 35 yard deep pass play. He was playing spot on, maybe we stayed content to give the 4-7 yard run since CWM seen our secondary was having trouble with Mckinley and Newton was just simply on fire.

But if you're an Auburn fan, worried that this game served as a warning of worse times to come, don't sweat it so much.

During the course of a long college football season that stretches from the last days of summer to early winter, great teams don't always play great. If Auburn's worth as a national championship contender is worth debating at the end of the season, the definition won't hinge on winning a road game over a decent South Carolina team by "only" seven points.

Thursday's game exposed a weakness in Auburn's defense, but there's time to fix it. And it's uncertain there's a lot that needs to be fixed.

Link

Amen....

:au::homer:

i think if mitchell hadn't gotten in that bar fight then we woulda beaten them by 3 TD's... that QB was incredible

Yeah, it seems obvious to me that Newton is a better fit for what Spurrier likes to do then Mitchell is.

I think the defense did a great job, along with Muschamp, by guarding against the big play. Momentum changers have a way of discouraging players and usually have disappointing results, and big plays have that affect on young players. The whole coaching staff gets kudos from Bottomfeeder. Congrats on a great job to the football team and coaches of Auburn University.

War "Damn" Eagle!

One at a time.

Archived