CTT makes comments

saniflush

Some folks need to read this VERY closely IMO!

Auburn's Tuberville not interested in style points

9/29/2006, 1:33 p.m. ET

By JOHN ZENOR

The Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Auburn coach Tommy Tubercle doesn't care if another too-close-for-comfort win fails to impress poll voters or the national media.

Tuberville found himself once again answering questions about the second-ranked Tigers following a 24-17 victory at South Carolina that wasn't over until the Gamecocks' final pass into the end zone fell incomplete

"We're not going to turn our season into apologizing every week that we won by one or two points," he said Friday in a teleconference.

The Tigers (5-0, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) certainly aren't piling up style points along with the victories. There was the 7-3 win over LSU, the victory over Buffalo that was fairly close until the fourth quarter and now another survival contest against an underdog team.

But the laid-back Tuberville got a little testy amid questions about the outsiders' take on his team.

"If they think that wasn't a tough ball game to play, they need to come watch an SEC game," he said. "I saw the two teams in front of us (in the Harris Interactive poll) play close games last week, too.

"It's not about style points. It's about winning games. I could care less what they're looking for, to be honest with you. We're not going to get the respect anyway, for some reason. We're going to earn it. We're going to keep playing like we're playing. We're not in this business to impress anybody, other than our fans and our football team."

The Tigers had trouble stopping the passing and running of quarterback Syvelle Newton.

Newton threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Jared Cook to bring the Gamecocks to within a touchdown. He then led them back down the field. Auburn didn't secure the win until Patrick Lee tipped away Newton's fourth-down pass to Sidney Rice in the end zone on the final play.

"We learned a pretty good lesson," Tuberville said. "We've got to contain a quarterback like that and make him stay in the pocket, and we didn't do that."

He said he wasn't surprised the game was so close. Regardless, with the win, "I've got a smile on my face."

But the Thursday game also leaves him with some time Saturday to check out No. 1 Ohio State and No. 3 Southern California, the two teams ranked ahead of Auburn in the Harris poll, a component of the BCS rankings.

"I'd be interested to see some games this weekend, some of these so-called high-ranked teams," Tuberville said. "I like our football team. We've got some less than strong points in some areas. I'm not going to say weaknesses, because I don't think we've got a whole lot.

"If the SEC has to prove anything to anybody around the country, then something's wrong."

The Tigers host Arkansas and No. 5 Florida in the next two weeks.

LINK

But the Thursday game also leaves him with some time Saturday to check out No. 1 Ohio State and No. 3 Southern California, the two teams ranked ahead of Auburn in the Harris poll, a component of the BCS rankings.

"I'd be interested to see some games this weekend, some of these so-called high-ranked teams," Tuberville said. "I like our football team. We've got some less than strong points in some areas. I'm not going to say weaknesses, because I don't think we've got a whole lot.

Apparently CTT watches the polls too...Just like I said he would.

I agree with him

1) We got the win.

2) We have to take a learned lesson from all of this.

I agree with CTT and I love the way he handles the media, you can tell that some don't like it. Where was the talk of style points in 2002 when Ohio State won 6 games by a touchdown or less?

Archived