Anyone need a good laugh?

vatz22au

Link

AU at #8

I dont like how SOS also counts where the game is played. I believe AU's schedule is much more harder than USC's and Florida easily has the hardest schedule in the nation... but not according to this.

The fact Texas is ranked before us is a complete joke. Cal at #10 before Tenn.

Hey, it is all SOS with Sagarin and his ranking is screwed anyway. His is a poll that only is good for "academic" arm chair quarterbacking.

I've never understood his rankings or how his computer works. They say that they are unbiased...thats a bunch of crap!

Those polls are invalid until later in the season. My understanding is that the rankings are stll use some of last year's games so they aren't too weighted on such a small amount of games. For example I'm sure Auburn's loss to Wisconsin still factors in, as well as Tennessee's loss to Vandy.

I like how he has cal over tennessee although they thumped them on opening weekend. Hey Jeff maybe you need to tweak your poll a little.

GIGO...you technical types know exactly what that stands for.

Don't laugh too hard at this. Jeff Sagarin's computer ranking system is 1 of 6 used in the BCS. If you embrace the BCS concept of polls & computer ranking systems, then you must embrace Sagarin's rankings because it's an integral part of it. We don't want any hypocrites complaining about the polls now. Link

Sagarin's the one that retroactively awarded the 1942 MNC to Bama right?

Note: he did it in the late 70's, Bama was shut out by both Miss. State and Vandy in 1942 (and finished around 15th in the AP poll in 1942).

Interesting how Montana is ranked #40 and is a AA school. I wonder how our conference ranks in his system. In 04 the SEC was rated 4th best conference or lower I believe. So far this season, the SEC has clocked the PAC 10 with LSU, AU, and UT all coming out with dominate victories over top 25 PAC teams. I guess were just candidates for homecoming fodder.

All Contents Copyright © 2006 Jeff Sagarintm. All rights reserved.

Funniest part of the whole thing...he actually thinks people are going to rip this off. Ha! :lol:

Those polls are invalid until later in the season.

They better get valid quick, the BCS starts next week.

I think the BCS starts so late because the computer polls need time to work.

The computer polls are somewhat valid in the objectivity department. My only problem is how they calculate SOS. They really look at it from an average SOS as if everyone had to play them. For example: Schedule A of #50 and #51 and schedule B of #1 and #101. For top teams, schedule A is easier. For bottom teams, schedule B is easier. This is very obvious. The computers don't recognize this though.

Auburn is ranked 6th - not 8th - at least for the BCS purposes and that'll all change down the road if UF loses and when the Oregon/USC (aka oregon) loses and when OSU/UM (aka UM) loses

Don't laugh too hard at this. Jeff Sagarin's computer ranking system is 1 of 6 used in the BCS. If you embrace the BCS concept of polls & computer ranking systems, then you must embrace Sagarin's rankings because it's an integral part of it. We don't want any hypocrites complaining about the polls now. Link

ILMAO nice pull :big:

ILMAO nice pull :big:

If there is a poll out there someone will be complaining. Like I said it is all academic with Sagarin anyway.

My problem with SOS is lets take Buffalo on Auburn's schedule and Stanford on USC's. Buffalo (1-3) is ranked 143 and Stanford (0-5) is 109. Now Stanford is probably ranked higher because they have a higher SOS than Buffalo even though they haven't won all year.

Is it more difficult for USC to beat Stanford than it is for Auburn to beat Buffalo. I would think we would all say no both games are easy wins. So why does Auburn get penalized for this.

I made this argument during the 2004 debacle. Was it more difficult for Oklahoma to beat Houson (3-8) than it was for Auburn to beat the Citadel. Of course not. Then why give Auburn such a hard time about having them on the schedule. Both teams were gimmes. One just happend to not be in 1A.

IF you don't think Sagarin's poll is biased, look at the SOS rankings. Here is the top 25:

1 Notre Dame - Ind.

2 Rice -

3 Stanford - Pac10

4 So. Cal - Pac10

5 Ohio St - Big10

6 Iowa - Big10

7 Fresno St

8 Marshall

9 Penn St - Big10

10 California - Pac10

11 Washington - Pac10

12 Arizona - Pac10

13 La Tech

14 Oregon - Pac10

15 Michigan - Big10

16 N. Carolina - ACC

17 Florida Atlantic

18 Ole Miss - SEC

19 Washington St - Pac10

20 Minnesota - Big10

21 Tennessee - SEC

22 Miss St - SEC

23 Temple - Big East

24 Air Froce

25 Colorado - Big12

There are 7 Pac10 teams in his top 20 of SOS. There are 5 Big 10 teams in his top 20. There is 1 SEC and 1 ACC team in his top 20. There is 1 Big 12 team in his top 25. So basically, the Pac 10 and Big 10 get bonuses for playing each other, even when the Pac10 has only 3 in the ESPN coaches poll top 25, whereas the SEC has 5 in the top15, 4 of which are in the TOP 10!! The Big 10 has 3 in the top 25. The ACC has 3 in the top25. The Big East has 2 in the top 10.

I think that shows the Pac10 and Big10 slant more than anything. I would love to know how he gets the ratings for each team that determines the schedule difficulty?? Anybody got his e-mail, I want to ask him.

Archived