Mushcamp talks about the defense

Ranger12

The numbers from the South Carolina game are frightening if you're an Auburn fan, especially when you realize that the Gamecocks don't boast the talent that several other teams left on the Tigers schedule do.

Auburn forced only one three-and-out, the first series of the night.

The Tigers gave up four drives of 66 yards or more and three drives of 10 or more plays.

Worse, though, is that even with Auburn's offense chewing up 15 minutes of the clock time in the third quarter, the Tigers still lost the time-of-possession battle.

"They gave us some different things they hadn't done before. We didn't really adjust well in the game, but we did what we had to do to win it," Muschamp said. "And when it came down to the time, critical third and fourth downs, we couldn't get off the field."

link

I agree the D didn't play well at all against USC - poor tackling, and even with rushing only 3 we didn't lock down on the recievers and lost containment of the QB. But, hopefully, they learned their lessons from this and will move forward. As a whole we still have a darn good D and I'll take and ugly win over a good statistical loss any day.

I agree the D didn't play well at all against USC - poor tackling, and even with rushing only 3 we didn't lock down on the recievers and lost containment of the QB. But, hopefully, they learned their lessons from this and will move forward. As a whole we still have a darn good D and I'll take and ugly win over a good statistical loss any day.

Agreed. I have confidence in CTT and his staff. In this article, it sounds like Muschcamp knows what happened and it will be straightened out. I don't like the way our defense played either, but Spurrier is one of the two best college coaches in football in looking at a defense and dissecting it. SC deserves more credit then they were getting and even though I wish our defense could have played better, I was happy with the fact that we could play like crap and come out with a win anyway. Lesser teams would have lost. Great teams find a way to win when they are playing bad. With that said, we can't play like that against Florida or we will walk away with a loss in that game. We will find out withing the next two games if those hole were fixed in the defense. I don't think CTT hired a dummy as a DC.

Agreed. I have confidence in CTT and his staff. In this article, it sounds like Muschcamp knows what happened and it will be straightened out. I don't like the way our defense played either, but Spurrier is one of the two best college coaches in football in looking at a defense and dissecting it. SC deserves more credit then they were getting and even though I wish our defense could have played better, I was happy with the fact that we could play like crap and come out with a win anyway. Lesser teams would have lost. Great teams find a way to win when they are playing bad. With that said, we can't play like that against Florida or we will walk away with a loss in that game. We will find out withing the next two games if those hole were fixed in the defense. I don't think CTT hired a dummy as a DC.

My thoughts exactly, good article thanks for posting.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Has anyone been keeping up with SC enough to know....have they been running a 5-wide offense all year? My impression is that they have not, and only since Newton has been starting have they been doing this?

I wonder if we were not fully prepared to defend that offense, because it is not really a traditional offense, and teams with a lot of talent usually don't run it.

It would not surprise me one bit if CSS pulled that out just for us. And the surprise factor really got us.

The one concern that I HAD with the D last Thursday night is that CWM did not adjust very well! More pressure would have been nice, but I am not on the coaching staff, and my three years coaching middle school and high school makes me a poor arm chair coach.

I do think you will see a much better approach on D the rest of the season.

I've been concerned all year with our tackling. They believe in the smaller and faster players and that's all well and good as long as they can tackle well. I also wondered why, even if only a few times, they played our corners on certain receivers....for example DI on Rice all game no matter where he lined up, left, right, slot, etc.. I somewhat understand the comment of the motion sometimes puts players out of positions they are used to, but arent they used to convering a receiver no matter where they are on the field? That's all I'm saying, because without trying it, if one corner is shutting down a big-play receiver, all they have to do is switch sides or stick him in the slot and try out a diff defender on him until he hits his stride. Having said all that, I also fully believe in our coaches and I think they will put it together when it counts.

WDE

Thanks for sharing this article.

Has anyone been keeping up with SC enough to know....have they been running a 5-wide offense all year? My impression is that they have not, and only since Newton has been starting have they been doing this?

I wonder if we were not fully prepared to defend that offense, because it is not really a traditional offense, and teams with a lot of talent usually don't run it.

It would not surprise me one bit if CSS pulled that out just for us. And the surprise factor really got us.

Listened to the usc after game radio show. Had CSS on. He staed that once he saw that we were in a 3 man front, it kind of surprised him and he had to go to a different game plan. From his comments, he basically changed his game plan on the sidelines during the first half and reacted to what we were doing.

Also, the radio hosts and fans all commented that this was the best usc qb performance that they had seen in over 5 years. They were all amazed that this qb had this ability in him.

Also, the radio hosts and fans all commented that this was the best usc qb performance that they had seen in over 5 years. They were all amazed that this qb had this ability in him.

As was I. If that was his potential level of play, and not just a "lights out" night, then he is going to be SCARY!

Link

AU coordinator thinks he played right defense against South Carolina

AUBURN - Will Muschamp knew what to expect when he arrived at his office Friday morning, and he wasn't disappointed.

Waiting for Auburn's first-year defensive coordinator were numerous voicemail messages and e-mails offering advice on what he should have done differently in No. 2 Auburn's harrowing 24-17 escape against South Carolina.

The recurring theme was that he'd made a mistake by frequently employing a three-man rush against South Carolina quarterback Syvelle Newton on Thursday night.

The game tape, Muschamp said, told a different story. "We got pressure with three," Muschamp said. "We had two sacks rushing three guys. Really, from an efficiency standpoint, it was the most effective thing we did, other than when we max blitzed them, and you can't making a living doing that. They got their biggest plays when we rushed five."

Muschamp chuckled about the calls and e-mails. He said he wasn't offended, but he paid little attention.

"There are two stats that matter on defense," Muschamp said. "That's how many points you give up and whether you won or lost.

"I don't worry about the other stuff. Believe me, there are a lot of things out there to worry about other than what somebody thinks about a three-man rush."

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, coming off back-to-back games against lower-level teams, had plenty of surprises for Auburn. Starting in the second quarter, he went no-huddle and frequently had an empty backfield with five receivers. Muschamp said the Gamecocks had shown that formation on just four snaps in their previous four games. "A rule of thumb in coaching when you face an empty backfield is that the two best things to do are drop eight or blitz," Muschamp said. "We made a study when we were in the NFL looking at this stuff. You fill the zone up underneath."

Muschamp saw plenty he didn't like. He saw plays that could have been made that weren't, rushers going inside when they should have played contain, too many third- and fourth-down conversions.

"We had plenty of opportunities to make plays, regardless of what we called on defense," Muschamp said.

"We didn't adjust out well when they spread the field. That was disappointing. We made some adjustments at halftime, but when you build a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter, you feel like you have to make them earn it."

The Gamecocks almost earned it, but not quite. On the game's final play from the Auburn 5, Patrick Lee knocked a pass away from wide receiver Sidney Rice in the end zone.

"We max blitzed," Muschamp said. "Pat made a phenomenal play."

With the victory, the Tigers moved to 5-0 on the season and 3-0 in the Southeastern Conference. They play Arkansas (3-1, 1-1) next Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. and will be on CBS.

South Carolina, Muschamp said, was a far different team than the one that was shut out 18-0 by Georgia on Sept. 9 with Blake Mitchell at QB.

"I think, as the season evolves with what they are doing on offense and the quarterback they have now, they are going to score a lot of points," Muschamp said. "I would have loved to have played them three weeks ago."

Some of the blame for the USC game has to be due to execution. AU doesn't have a veteran secondary. In time they will. Games like this where they have to respond to the unexpected (5 WRs & no huddle) are great learning experiences.

Tackling, tackling, tackling!

This was especially lamentable after all the two-a-days with the stress on "hard-nose" and "tough mentally and physically".

Time after time we had a defender in the right place and he missed the tackle--and often the second guy!

Schemes and alignments don't mean beans if the guy isn't brought down.

Although our D had an off night and really at times looked overmatched against a lower tier SEC team they kept them out of the endzone when it counted. I have heard alot of people say the rushing three was the problem but I agree with Coach WM we got pressure with those 3. I think our youth showed we missed easy tackles and blew assingments. These are things a young defense will do from time to time. But I truly feel that SC is going to have a really good second half of the season if Newton plays like he did the rest of the way! IT WAS A TRAP!!! Set up by one of the best coaches of my time( I dont pretend to be old enough to remember Shug but I am in the Dye era). He set us up and pushed us down time and time gain. The way he completely toyed with Gilbert on that TD drive to end the first half was (not at the time) funny. But the real problem with our D has been stated Takle the ball carrier and we look good! Dont Tackle we look like sh%^cakes. I think the Coaches will get them straight. The diff bettween us and them is we go for 2 hrs in full pads the go for 90 min and no pads. Remember the summer "Physical"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets fry up some bacon folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE at a TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muschamp has been a DC for some time, in the collegiate ranks as well as the NFL. I'm sure that Spurrier, while innovative, did not invent the 5 reciever spread in last weeks game. If the USC TE, who was WIDE OPEN had caught the TD ball, it did hit him in the hands in stride, this discussion would be entirely different. Let's not spin the defense's performance last week, we were very lucky. We won the game. Let's hope that the defensive problems have been corrected because Arky has proven in the past that they are very capable of putting an unexpected "W" on the board against us.

:au:

Muschamp has been a DC for some time, in the collegiate ranks as well as the NFL. I'm sure that Spurrier, while innovative, did not invent the 5 reciever spread in last weeks game. If the USC TE, who was WIDE OPEN had caught the TD ball, it did hit him in the hands in stride, this discussion would be entirely different. Let's not spin the defense's performance last week, we were very lucky. We won the game. Let's hope that the defensive problems have been corrected because Arky has proven in the past that they are very capable of putting an unexpected "W" on the board against us.

AMEN!!

No spinning here that I can find.

Spurrier exploited us and almost handed us our rear end. I don't think we were prepared for what he was doing. We looked bad.

Usually at the end of a game we win, everyone erupts into cheers! For the first time in my life...at the end of that game the entire Auburn fan base at the game simply SAT DOWN after the blocked end zone pass. Breathing a sigh of relief because we were so lucky.

Spurrier exploited us and almost handed us our rear end. I don't think we were prepared for what he was doing. We looked bad.

Usually at the end of a game we win, everyone erupts into cheers! For the first time in my life...at the end of that game the entire Auburn fan base at the game simply SAT DOWN after the blocked end zone pass. Breathing a sigh of relief because we were so lucky.

Right on but prepare for others to rip ya! :no:

Its funny because I have never been so "ticked off" after a win. I guess its a sign of good things.... that we have had such success recently that even when we win we look at the negative.

As I have had a chance to stop and think about it since Sat, and sitting down last night to watch the AU Review. Pure and simple CWM was outcoached by SOS and....hey it isnt the first time its happened and it wont be the last. I had said the whole week before the game that it was gonna be close, and I believed that (a little closer than I expected though). Im just happy we got out of there with a win, hopefully the players and Muschamp learned something and we can take it to the Hogs this week.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Its funny because I have never been so "ticked off" after a win. I guess its a sign of good things....

Or it could be a sign that we are becoming that which we despise.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Right on but prepare for others to rip ya! :no:

I prefer to look at it like this:

If a bunch of yahoos on an internet message board recognize the weaknesses in our defense, scheme, personnel or otherwise, the folks that are making six figures can recognize it also and make appropriate changes in said schemes and personnel to avoid a similiar result in the future. I have faith that they will do thos ethings in practice that will result in better tackling and closing up the holes in the defensive secondary.

Call me a sunshine pumper if it makes you feel better about your hopelessness. I'll continue to enjoy a number 2/3 ranking and an undefaeted season as long as it lasts. If someone does rip up in the future, I'll say good game and carry on with my life.

Its funny because I have never been so "ticked off" after a win. I guess its a sign of good things....

Or it could be a sign that we are becoming that which we despise.

I prefer to look at it that my blood pumps orange and blue....but yes I am a fanatic....

Hello Everyone my Name is Brian and "I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL"

I did not mean that the board was spinning the defensive play, but it seemed as though Muschamp was doing some damage control. SOS is, arguably, one of the best offensive minds to coach in college. He has made many a DC look silly. However, the Buffalo game coupled with the USC game made me concerned regarding Muschamp's defensive approach. Like I said, I hope that the problems have been addressed. BUT, Arky is not a pass oriented team, so we may not know until the UF game if the pass defense issues are a thing of past.

It's been a while but... Oct 20, 2001.

Auburn 48, Louisiana Tech 41 ...defended pass, in the endzone, to end the game in OT and preserve the AU victory.

Oh sure he was doing damage control. No way he would go out there and say we were not prepared for the genius of CSS. We got lucky today. He has to put the spin on it. You are right about that.

As far as anyone being "hopeless".... to the contrary. The close call with USC has put things into perspective for me. It reminds me of what is important. I went to South Carolina thinking about "style points." I will be there Saturday with a totally different perspective called "win the game at hand any way you can."

WDE!!!

Oh sure he was doing damage control. No way he would go out there and say we were not prepared for the genius of CSS. We got lucky today. He has to put the spin on it. You are right about that.

As far as anyone being "hopeless".... to the contrary. The close call with USC has put things into perspective for me. It reminds me of what is important. I went to South Carolina thinking about "style points." I will be there Saturday with a totally different perspective called "win the game at hand any way you can."

WDE!!!

I'm with you CD ... I'll take my points on the score board.

Archived