How can you tell if a politician is lying?

otterinbham

Democratic U.S. Senate hopeful Harold Ford Jr. referred to himself as a lawyer earlier this week, but the congressman has not passed the bar exam.

Michael Powell, senior adviser to the Ford campaign, said U.S. Rep. Ford took the Tennessee bar exam in February 1997 and failed. He said that was the only time Rep. Ford has taken the test.

Rep. Ford, of Memphis, got his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996, according to his congressional Web site.

He said Tuesday during a meeting with Chattanooga Times Free Press editors and reporters that Republican opponent Bob Corker has said the next senator should be a businessman and not a lawyer.

"I told Senator (Lamar) Alexander, I said, ‘I won’t hold it against you if I’m elected, and there’s two lawyers in the delegation who try their hardest to work through the issues," Rep. Ford said.

Corker campaign spokesman Todd Womack said, "If Congressman Ford will stretch the truth about his own resume, what else will he stretch the truth about?" Mr. Powell said it is his understanding that Rep. Ford was joking when he made reference to being a lawyer during Tuesday’s meeting.

"He has never held himself out as a lawyer," Mr. Powell said.

He said President Bush has referred to Rep. Ford as a lawyer.

"I think it makes sense to send somebody up to Washington who’s not a lawyer," President Bush said at a Nashville fundraiser in late August, according to a transcript. "Nothing wrong with lawyers, we got a lot of them up there."

Mr. Powell said the GOP is finding "petty" things to talk about.

"We’re a month out from the election, and the Republicans and Mr. Corker still are not talking about the issues," he said.

=====================

What? Is this guy stupid? Did he not think people would find out?

So you get a law degree and may not be a lawyer. Does that mean wit my math degree I am not a mathematician?

Maybe you are a lawyer, just not an attorney.

So you get a law degree and may not be a lawyer. Does that mean wit my math degree I am not a mathematician?

Maybe you are a lawyer, just not an attorney.

Ah. We're parsing words here. Just like our previous president, huh? A lawyer is somebody who practices law for a living.

Democratic U.S. Senate hopeful Harold Ford Jr. referred to himself as a lawyer earlier this week, but the congressman has not passed the bar exam.

Michael Powell, senior adviser to the Ford campaign, said U.S. Rep. Ford took the Tennessee bar exam in February 1997 and failed. He said that was the only time Rep. Ford has taken the test.

Rep. Ford, of Memphis, got his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996, according to his congressional Web site.

He said Tuesday during a meeting with Chattanooga Times Free Press editors and reporters that Republican opponent Bob Corker has said the next senator should be a businessman and not a lawyer.

"I told Senator (Lamar) Alexander, I said, ‘I won’t hold it against you if I’m elected, and there’s two lawyers in the delegation who try their hardest to work through the issues," Rep. Ford said.

Corker campaign spokesman Todd Womack said, "If Congressman Ford will stretch the truth about his own resume, what else will he stretch the truth about?" Mr. Powell said it is his understanding that Rep. Ford was joking when he made reference to being a lawyer during Tuesday’s meeting.

"He has never held himself out as a lawyer," Mr. Powell said.

He said President Bush has referred to Rep. Ford as a lawyer.

"I think it makes sense to send somebody up to Washington who’s not a lawyer," President Bush said at a Nashville fundraiser in late August, according to a transcript. "Nothing wrong with lawyers, we got a lot of them up there."

Mr. Powell said the GOP is finding "petty" things to talk about.

"We’re a month out from the election, and the Republicans and Mr. Corker still are not talking about the issues," he said.

=====================

What? Is this guy stupid? Did he not think people would find out?

To be fair, he didn't go around calling himself a lawyer. Coker's campaign and President Bush were making the lawyer comments, contrasting the supposed choice between a businessman (Coker) and a lawyer (Ford) for Senate. He was playing off what they were saying about him.

To be fair, he didn't go around calling himself a lawyer. Coker's campaign and President Bush were making the lawyer comments, contrasting the supposed choice between a businessman (Coker) and a lawyer (Ford) for Senate. He was playing off what they were saying about him.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying, Titan.

Archived