This rule needs to change

PChamp119

We all know about the new time changes but this is not where I am going with this (well kind of, but not really).

So I'm watching the FSU game and I am really suprised nobody caught this: NC State intercepts with 2:35 in the game. We all know the clock starts, but then NC State has a penalty for illegal substitution - ok. But then the 25 second clock started again!! I'm not saying FSU lost because of this, but that is a rule that needs to be changed and I am suprised nobody has mentioned it. The offense could keep getting penaltys until the game is over. Technically if you get the ball with like 3 minutes left and the other team has no time outs - 3 and out usually gets you the ball back with like 30 seconds left - but if you keep having penaltys, you can run more and more plays and run out the clock. Not just illegal substituion, but lets take an AU game for example. Auburn needed a first down against LSU towards the end of the game but didn't get it. Technically, I believe Auburn could've kept running the ball to Kenny and have our OL hold the DL and give Kenny a bigger hole to run through.

Accept the penalty: Auburn gets to run another play and run the clock because a penalty doesn't stop the clock. Decline the penalty and Auburn gets a big gain.

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I saw that and was wondering how they ran the clock out with that much time left on it. I thought they needed a 1st down. I don't like the clock running on change of possession. That's 25-45 seconds gone, right there. I do agree with running the clock when the chains are moved, that rule never made sense to me. Changing that alone sped up the games.

Personally, I'd like to see a 2 minute rule in CFB. That way, the teams get a free timeout to strategize and give their best shot at the last two minutes. The teams with the best strategery and execution wins (in close games). That would put an end to everyone saying this clock rule ruined comebacks - even though it really hasn't. It would also give the TV's one last commercial break so they wouldn't interrupt the last 2 minutes.

I do agree with running the clock when the chains are moved, that rule never made sense to me. Changing that alone sped up the games.

I'm not sure what you are referring too here. The clock would always start with the ready for play after a first down, provided the play ended in bounds..

Are you saying the clock should stay running AFTER the play even if the team gets a first down, instead of stopping to move the chains???

Yeah, I saw that and was wondering how they ran the clock out with that much time left on it. I thought they needed a 1st down. I don't like the clock running on change of possession. That's 25-45 seconds gone, right there. I do agree with running the clock when the chains are moved, that rule never made sense to me. Changing that alone sped up the games.

Personally, I'd like to see a 2 minute rule in CFB. That way, the teams get a free timeout to strategize and give their best shot at the last two minutes. The teams with the best strategery and execution wins (in close games). That would put an end to everyone saying this clock rule ruined comebacks - even though it really hasn't. It would also give the TV's one last commercial break so they wouldn't interrupt the last 2 minutes.

I like the college game for what it is and do not want to see it emulate the pro game. The clock is stopped on a 1st down only long enough for the chains to reset. Once the ref signals ready for play, the clock starts again. A smart team can use those breaks in the clock running to get quickly lined up for the next play & move the ball downfield better than any 2 min warning. The 2 min warning is an antiquated holdover for when they had those sweep second-hand type stadium clocks. It has nothing to do with strategy & everything to do with a built-in commercial break for the sponsors. With huge digital clocks counting down each seconds who really benefits from the "warning" anyways?

I don't like the clock auto starting on change of possessions -- there is no way an offense can get on the field fast enough to make use of any remaining time. All the rules changes have done is shorten the game by an average of what, 10-12 minutes from last year's average? Instead of 3 hrs 20 min, the average game is now about 3 hr 9 min. Whoop-dee-freakin-doo. The same "savings" could have achieved by shortening the quarters from 15 to 11 minutes.

I'm not sure what you are referring too here. The clock would always start with the ready for play after a first down, provided the play ended in bounds..

Are you saying the clock should stay running AFTER the play even if the team gets a first down, instead of stopping to move the chains???

Am I confused? I thought they used to stop the clock after a 1st down, then restart when the next play resumed. The clock should definately stop after the play so the chain gang can move.

sounds like we are both saying the same thing. The clock stops on a first down and restarts on the ready for play (provided the play ended in bounds).

I thought you were saying you wish the clock didn't stop on the first down and just kept running.....

We all know about the new time changes but this is not where I am going with this (well kind of, but not really).

So I'm watching the FSU game and I am really suprised nobody caught this: NC State intercepts with 2:35 in the game. We all know the clock starts, but then NC State has a penalty for illegal substitution - ok. But then the 25 second clock started again!! I'm not saying FSU lost because of this, but that is a rule that needs to be changed and I am suprised nobody has mentioned it. The offense could keep getting penaltys until the game is over. Technically if you get the ball with like 3 minutes left and the other team has no time outs - 3 and out usually gets you the ball back with like 30 seconds left - but if you keep having penaltys, you can run more and more plays and run out the clock. Not just illegal substituion, but lets take an AU game for example. Auburn needed a first down against LSU towards the end of the game but didn't get it. Technically, I believe Auburn could've kept running the ball to Kenny and have our OL hold the DL and give Kenny a bigger hole to run through.

Accept the penalty: Auburn gets to run another play and run the clock because a penalty doesn't stop the clock. Decline the penalty and Auburn gets a big gain.

Anyone else notice this?

Of course. I've said it since week one. A team can just have a Delay of Game and chew up 25 additional seconds without losing a down. I've asked everyone and the only answer I get is "the refs can choose to not let the play clock start." Having the result of a penalty be in the refs hands is ridiculous in my opinion. They call the penalty, and the result is black and white based on the rules, no decision to be made.

Archived