Jason Campbell

WarEagleATL

A note from my fantasy football league source...

"Could We See Campbell Soon? We hear the Washington Redskins are extremely close to handing the starting QB job over to second year former Auburn star Jason Campbell…the team believes he has a better ability to throw the long ball, thus involving Santana Moss more, and opening up the field for Clinton Portis and the running game…Apparently many around the ‘Skins organization have been calling for Campbell for a while now, and with QB Mark Brunell missing practice this week with a strained rib muscle, we could see a change after the ‘Skins bye week."

That would be awesome. All the reports I read say that Gibbs is sticking w/ Brunell for a while longer, but I have been wanting JC to get his shot for a while now, and I was thinking the bye week would be a great time for it. I didn't realize Brunell was missing a week of practice...that just moves things further along in the right direction...

No one wants to write off a season this early, but at 2-5, the Skins don't have much of a realistic shot at the playoffs. Maybe even if we don't see Jason in the next couple of weeks, after a few more losses add up and the season can truly be called done, they will go ahead and put Jason in and plan for next year.

Hail to the Redskins!!

So for every sign that Jason might come in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6102501844.html

In Brunell's absence, another curious and possibly important event took place: For the first time in his young career, quarterback Jason Campbell took all the snaps with the first team on consecutive days. The move could be significant, a sign that the Redskins acknowledge that the disastrous events of the first seven games have accelerated their timetable for getting Campbell prepared to play. Or it could just mean that Campbell merely was filling in for Brunell and is no closer to being activated for his first NFL game, never mind his first start.

"I don't know if it means anything, but it's just good to get out there and be on the field," Campbell said. "It's one thing to read the plays and study the plays, and another to actually execute them, to do it and try to develop a rhythm for the offense."

There is a sign from Gibbs that it won't be soon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6102301237.html

Gibbs said the Redskins' remedy to losing five of their first seven games is not to remove quarterback Mark Brunell in favor of second-year reserve Jason Campbell, or any other major personnel move. Instead, he stressed hard work and the tinkering of the offensive and defensive schemes.

Brunell is the subject of criticism for the stalling of an offense that was expected to produce big numbers with its diverse array of talent. Instead, the Redskins produced just one offensive touchdown against the Colts while the game was competitive and have been inconsistent all season.

At 2-5, with a difficult schedule ahead and the playoffs fading, Gibbs's loyalty to Brunell has been tested.

"We love Jason, and I'm always talking to Jason. And we know that at some point, Jason's time is going to come," Gibbs said. "But right now, that's not something that's the focus of mine. So, we'll go on practicing as we've been practicing."

So for every sign that Jason might come in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6102501844.html

In Brunell's absence, another curious and possibly important event took place: For the first time in his young career, quarterback Jason Campbell took all the snaps with the first team on consecutive days. The move could be significant, a sign that the Redskins acknowledge that the disastrous events of the first seven games have accelerated their timetable for getting Campbell prepared to play. Or it could just mean that Campbell merely was filling in for Brunell and is no closer to being activated for his first NFL game, never mind his first start.

"I don't know if it means anything, but it's just good to get out there and be on the field," Campbell said. "It's one thing to read the plays and study the plays, and another to actually execute them, to do it and try to develop a rhythm for the offense."

There is a sign from Gibbs that it won't be soon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6102301237.html

Gibbs said the Redskins' remedy to losing five of their first seven games is not to remove quarterback Mark Brunell in favor of second-year reserve Jason Campbell, or any other major personnel move. Instead, he stressed hard work and the tinkering of the offensive and defensive schemes.

Brunell is the subject of criticism for the stalling of an offense that was expected to produce big numbers with its diverse array of talent. Instead, the Redskins produced just one offensive touchdown against the Colts while the game was competitive and have been inconsistent all season.

At 2-5, with a difficult schedule ahead and the playoffs fading, Gibbs's loyalty to Brunell has been tested.

"We love Jason, and I'm always talking to Jason. And we know that at some point, Jason's time is going to come," Gibbs said. "But right now, that's not something that's the focus of mine. So, we'll go on practicing as we've been practicing."

sounds like a coaching problem then

A 700-page playbook from Al Saunders get them to 2-5. An aging QB that is unwilling to take hits. A FIRST ROUND QB waiting in the wing eager to prove himself and the coach is not willing to make the change?

Yep. Definitely a coaching problem.

i'm from the DC area and redskin fans have been calling for campbell for a long time now. not necessarily as a full time starter for some, but he hasn't even taken an nfl snap yet, they want to at least see what he's got. everybody is getting sick of brunell sucking it up, then having a good game, then sucking again. i'm not a redskin fan, but i'll root for them when they start campbell.

I wish Gibbs would start Campbell. He'd be the first Auburn QB to start an NFL game in a long time, I'm sure. Anyone here know of the last time it happened?

After all, 1st-team QB's can be benched...happened to Bledsoe this week.

I wish Gibbs would start Campbell. He'd be the first Auburn QB to start an NFL game in a long time, I'm sure. Anyone here know of the last time it happened?

That's a good question. I know that Dameyune Craig played successfully in the NFL's European League (I think he broke some record), but I can't remember if he ever started in the NFL.

Daniel Cobb: Nope. Pat Nix: Nope (although hopefully he will have a good coaching career). I don't think Burger or Slack did either, but I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

The NFL is chock-full of Auburn running backs and linebackers. A good many linemen, recievers, secondary, etc, also but not so much w/ the QBs.

Jason Campbell-QB- Redskins Oct. 26 - 7:21 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Jason Campbell is taking all the first-team reps in practice during Washington's Week 8 bye.

Mark Brunell currently has hurt ribs, but Schefter says the Redskins are using his injury and the bye-week practices to get Campbell ready, possibly to be the team's starting quarterback in Week 9.

:au:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...um=&id=3137

:cheer:

:au: Long time Redskins/Auburn fan...

About one third of the NFL teams currently have guys starting at QB that came in the same year as Jason or are rookies now, what do these coaches know that Gibbs can't figure out? Get your guy in there, the future is now!

Leinart-Arizona

Smith-SF

Wallace-Seattle

Gradkowski-TB

Romo-Cowhumpers

Walter-Oakland

Croyle-KC (I feel sorry for Jason, never lost to this guy-beware the thumb!)

Young-Tenn

Frye-Cleve

Add in third year guys that really haven't played before

Losman-Buff

Rivers-SD

About one third of the NFL teams currently have guys starting at QB that came in the same year as Jason or are rookies now, what do these coaches know that Gibbs can't figure out? Get your guy in there, the future is now!

Leinart-Arizona

Smith-SF

Wallace-Seattle

Gradkowski-TB

Romo-Cowhumpers

Walter-Oakland

Young-Tenn

Frye-Cleve

Add in third year guys that really haven't played before

Losman-Buff

Rivers-SD

KC is starting Croyle :blink: How has he been doing?? Did he earn it or was their injury?? I don't really follow NFL games, other than watching maybe the Bucs, Dolphins, or Redskins play.

:au:

It might be tough for Jason to see Croyle already starting but I'm sure on pay day he feels much better than Croyle.

Well, even though I am ready to see JC as the starter, I also don't question a coach of Gibb's caliber. Those other coaches may be playing the same QBs that came in with Jason or a year later, but I bet not many of those coaches have the Super Bowl rings that he has. Not to mention the NASCAR championships he has as an owner. Gibbs is a proven leader that does not rush to decisions based on what us fans want. He makes the move when he is ready. That is what makes him the leader of champions that he is. Like I said, I have been looking forward to JC finally getting some gametime snaps, but I have not been screaming at Gibbs to start him because I trust a proven winner like Gibbs to have what is in JC's best interest. Even before the season started, Gibbs said that JC will probably be the starter next year for sure, if not by the end of the season. Looks like he is holding true to that plan.

When I watch the Redskins' offense.. I see a mixture of the QB not being able to make the plays and the play calling. They are constantly throwing underneath to the RB for a 3 yard gain. Gets old quickly. I have the feeling that they will call those same plays with JC.

That's a good question. I know that Dameyune Craig played successfully in the NFL's European League (I think he broke some record), but I can't remember if he ever started in the NFL.

Daniel Cobb: Nope. Pat Nix: Nope (although hopefully he will have a good coaching career). I don't think Burger or Slack did either, but I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

The NFL is chock-full of Auburn running backs and linebackers. A good many linemen, recievers, secondary, etc, also but not so much w/ the QBs.

I decided to do a little research and it seems Auburn has only had 8 QBs to play in the NFL or old AFL.

Jason Campbell – Washington Redskins 2005-Present

Lloyd Cheatham – Chicago Cardinals 1942

Dameyune Craig – Carolina Panthers 1998-01

Reggie Slack – Houston Oilers 1990-91

Pat Sullivan – Atlanta Falcons 1972-75

Travis Tidwell – New York Giants 1950-51

Stan White – New York Giants 1994-97

Dick Wood – San Diego Chargers 1962, Denver Broncos 1962, New York Jets 1963-64, Oakland Raiders 1965, and Miami Dolphins 1966

According to pro-football-reference.com here’s their career stats. (The site notes that statistics are not available for most who played before 1960.)

Jason Campbell – No Stats

Lloyd Cheatham – No Stats

Reggie Slack – No Stats

Stan White – No Stats

Travis Tidwell – No Stats (According to the NY Giants site here’s how he did in 1950-51 note: his was the second leading passer to Charlie Connery both years)

1950 – 55 att. 25 comp. 45.5 % 338 yards 6.1 avg. 3 int. 4 tds.

29 rushes 133 yards 4.6 avg. 54 long 2tds

1951 – 21att 8 comp. 38.1% 155 yards 7.4 avg. 4 ints. 1 td

Dameyune Craig - 8 games 4/8 for 34 yards 0 int. 0 td 24 yards rushing 0 td

Pat Sullivan - 30 games 93/220 for 1155 yards 5 td. 16 int. 55 yard rushing 0 td

Dick Wood - 60 games 522/1194 for 7153 yards 51 td 71 int 45 yards rushing 4 td

I decided to do a little research and it seems Auburn has only had 8 QBs to play in the NFL or old AFL.

Dick Wood – San Diego Chargers 1962, Denver Broncos 1962, New York Jets 1963-64, Oakland Raiders 1965, and Miami Dolphins 1966

According to pro-football-reference.com here’s their career stats. (The site notes that statistics are not available for most who played before 1960.)

Reggie Slack – No Stats

Stan White – No Stats

Travis Tidwell – No Stats (According to the NY Giants site here’s how he did in 1950-51 note: his was the second leading passer to Charlie Connery both years)

Pat Sullivan - 30 games 93/220 for 1155 yards 5 td. 16 int. 55 yard rushing 0 td

Very interesting. Thanks for the research. That is a pretty unimpressive collective body of work for Auburn QBs. I hope Jason changes all that.

Even if Gibbs thinks Jason is not ready to start, you would think he would at least get him some snaps. Been very frustrating to watch Brunell have two terrible performances then one decent to hold onto the job...everyone knows he is not the future and the Skins are not winning games, so why not start building toward next season?

Reggie Slack – No Stats

Stan White – No Stats

Very interesting. Thanks for the research. That is a pretty unimpressive collective body of work for Auburn QBs. I hope Jason changes all that.

Even if Gibbs thinks Jason is not ready to start, you would think he would at least get him some snaps. Been very frustrating to watch Brunell have two terrible performances then one decent to hold onto the job...everyone knows he is not the future and the Skins are not winning games, so why not start building toward next season?

They don't call :au: Running Back U for nothing!! :lol: Definitely not QB U!

Archived