Quarterbacking

Ronin

I want to make this clear before asking my question. I don't think there should be qb controversy. Brandon should start next week. He has the most experience, the best understanding of the offense and the leadership that the team needs to rebound from this week. I'm also not placing the blame for the loss on Brandon. If he wasn't getting sacked all day or the D had been able to stop UGA he might have pulled the game out.

Why didn't we see if there could be a spark from one of the other QBs when it was clear Brandon wasn't going to be effective TODAY. You could argue the time was right when Brandon was 1/6 with 2 interceptions but then we might not have scored the second TD. It was pretty clearly worth a try after the 3rd INT. I'm sure someone is going to write back that CTT isn't Spurrier or Richt and is staying loyal to his QB and that's fine. I'm glad he doesn't swap them in and out willy nilly but it seems like today would have been a good day to try something different.

I agree. I support Brandon, and also feel he is our starter next week, but are our other QB's SO bad that it wasn't even worth it to give them a shot? Cox was having a bad day, that happens, let someone else take a shot. If our backups are that bad, God help us if Brandon was to get hurt. Towards the end he was so rattled he couldn't even hit the screen passes.

The same should be said for our starting O-line.

I have no problem with him starting next week.

But the bowl game and going into next year is going to be interesting. I think many people are going to be pissed if we do not have some kind of quarterback "controversy" I use that term for lack of a better one.

My personal opinion is he is going to have a hard time getting the starting position back next year.

I could completely agree trying someone else in the second half. I think doing it in the first half would have been premature.

It is like this, CTT is loyal to his players and they respect that. That is one of the reasons he is building such a great program at AU. CTT is not the kind of coach to pull a player, especially the QB, in the fist half unless he is too injured to go. You are rarely going to see him not start his starter in the second half either unless they game is completely out of hand either way. Cox is a proven competitor that overcame a disease to be able to play, so of course he is going to say he can go no matter what, unless his ankle is dangling from his leg. CTT has to make that decision and CTT should know his QB better then any of us.

I do think that when the game was finally out of hand for sure, we should have put Fields in. Waiting until 2 minutes to go in this game was too late. We have not been able to give Fields alot of snaps this year because we could not get enough of a lead against weaker teams to do it. It think at least when Georgia scored that last TD, it would have been the best time to give him some snaps and let Brandon rest, because our defense was not going to let our offense into the game anyway.

do you guys really see cox not being the starter next year? i mean, i understand that he really has been subpar this year, but as a senior and with that loyalty factor everyone keeps bringing up, i think cox starts without question. and really, do we even know how good field and caudle are? i have no idea, since i've yet to see either one of them get any real pt.

I like BC and believe in him, he should be the started next year. Why do you think we got Kodi Burns, he will compete to start year after next, count on it.

I look forward to Kodi's mobility.

The rain procluded a QB change. Don't want to put in a young QB in the rain.

I didn't think of that and it makes sense.

I agree that CTT probable wouldn't pull a QB before the 2nd half but I'm not sure that he shouldn't.

You can find other threads where I've said CTT knows more than I do (and all the rest of you too). I hope it is true this time and that the rain is the reason. Otherwise, I have to worry about how bad our other QBs are,as GoAU said.

I thought so too. When down 30-7ish, what can it hurt. It was obvious that BC was having one of the worst outings he has had. No offense to the guy, but you gotta see if maybe the 2nd guy can come in and have a lucky hot streak or something.

I thought Blake Field should have come in in the 3rd quarter. Instead, we see him in the 4th with like 2:00 to go when there are like 1500 people left in the stadium. :(

How many of you guys think that we have improved all season long? I for one think that we have taken a step back in almost every phase. The Coaches are suppose to teach and improve during the year but I just can't see it by execution. When teams come out flat like they do it clearly points to not being prepared more then not being motivated.

Look, fellas and ladies, we all knew after watching a few games that we didn't have the same "it" we had in '04. We still have a great chance to end up at 11-2, even after struggling all season and never really playing as one unit. This being said, Brandon will be fine. He will be our starter next season. Our line will be more cohesive. Our backs will have one more year of experience, as will the recievers. Our D will have had one more year under the same coordinator, which hasn't happened in a while. Sounding somewhat familiar? Sounds kinda like '04. We had all the hype the year before we really did anything. CTT just keeps restocking our team. It is definitley a great time to be an Auburn Tiger!

I said this earlier and I say it again. BC will not be the starter his senior year.He has not progressed like he should. Remember he is a 23 yr. old soph.

Wow, look guys! Coach Tuberville is posting on the board now! <_<

How many of you guys think that we have improved all season long? I for one think that we have taken a step back in almost every phase. The Coaches are suppose to teach and improve during the year but I just can't see it by execution. When teams come out flat like they do it clearly points to not being prepared more then not being motivated.

Oh MY God! Somebody slap me! I thought I was on a Bama site there for a minute

Look, fellas and ladies, we all knew after watching a few games that we didn't have the same "it" we had in '04. We still have a great chance to end up at 11-2, even after struggling all season and never really playing as one unit. This being said, Brandon will be fine. He will be our starter next season. Our line will be more cohesive. Our backs will have one more year of experience, as will the recievers. Our D will have had one more year under the same coordinator, which hasn't happened in a while. Sounding somewhat familiar? Sounds kinda like '04. We had all the hype the year before we really did anything. CTT just keeps restocking our team. It is definitley a great time to be an Auburn Tiger!

I think we are all just upset that we are not getting the coaching we thought we would get. Its one thing to coach a great team to greatness. It's much harder to caoch a good team to greatness. But it can be done. You just have to work at a little more creatively. I'm not sure offensively we are getting that. Sometimes you have to fit the system to the players.

Defensively. Sure we are disappointed, but it is a new DC/scheme. So what do you do.

But we all felt the Offense would carry us this year. From day one we knew what we would see, Kenny, Kenny, Kenny. There did not seem to be a plan B. At this level, that just won't fly.

I think we are all just upset that we are not getting the coaching we thought we would get. Its one thing to coach a great team to greatness. It's much harder to caoch a good team to greatness. But it can be done. You just have to work at a little more creatively. I'm not sure offensively we are getting that. Sometimes you have to fit the system to the players.

Defensively. Sure we are disappointed, but it is a new DC/scheme. So what do you do.

But we all felt the Offense would carry us this year. From day one we knew what we would see, Kenny, Kenny, Kenny. There did not seem to be a plan B. At this level, that just won't fly.

I understand that. I just wanted to bring a little sunshine...

If I remember correctly, some of these very same comments were being made during J Campbell's junior year. We were wanting to see someone different for his senior year. He just wasn't the qb that could lead our team and we needed a change. Does this sound familiar. Seems like JC and the coaches got it right in 2004. Let's not even concern ourselves about nest year. We still have 2 more game to go - with one of those THE most important game of the year.

Let's be realistic: Blake Field is not capable of being a starter. BC is the best Auburn has - even when he is off. Even when AU was down 24-0, the coaches did the smartest thing: Run the ball. If it wasn't for BC's 3rd INT at the end of the half, we may have been right back in it going into the half. Even down 30-7, AU was basically down, but not completely out and the coaches did not want to change anything. BC had a half to cool off and AU scored to make it within 15. With so much time left in the game, you have to keep your starter in because Auburn doesn't have that premier backup.

I know it had nothing to do with the decision making, but it also may have sent a message to Kodi Burns: "Hey, if you struggle, we aren't just going to pull you if you are our main guy." BC will start the next (and last) 15 games of his career - 16 if he starts playing to his ability.

The only problem I had a quarterback was that I saw a QB that lost his composure. Your offensive leader cannot be getting personal fouls called on him. To be honest, I was really surprised to see him back on the field after that play. I realize we scored a TD after that, but at the time, nothing was looking promising at all. I believe he is definitely our starter and I was just a little troubled by that yesterday.

If you were having a bad day and then a DL litereally grabbed you and threw you around his body, I bet you'd be pissed off and defending yourself as well

I have no problem with him starting next week.

But the bowl game and going into next year is going to be interesting. I think many people are going to be pissed if we do not have some kind of quarterback "controversy" I use that term for lack of a better one.

My personal opinion is he is going to have a hard time getting the starting position back next year.

He could take the whole summer off and they would still start him.

Let's be realistic: Blake Field is not capable of being a starter. BC is the best Auburn has - even when he is off. Even when AU was down 24-0, the coaches did the smartest thing: Run the ball. If it wasn't for BC's 3rd INT at the end of the half, we may have been right back in it going into the half. Even down 30-7, AU was basically down, but not completely out and the coaches did not want to change anything. BC had a half to cool off and AU scored to make it within 15. With so much time left in the game, you have to keep your starter in because Auburn doesn't have that premier backup.

I know it had nothing to do with the decision making, but it also may have sent a message to Kodi Burns: "Hey, if you struggle, we aren't just going to pull you if you are our main guy." BC will start the next (and last) 15 games of his career - 16 if he starts playing to his ability.

BF has looked good when I have seen him and players agree he is talented.

Honestly, it was 100% out of reach at 17-0.

Archived