Tyrone Prothro

CircleDrill

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere. I hope we can keep this thread classy.

I thought it was really cool that they had Prothro run out the game ball in full uniform before the game. I was standing and clapping for him. What an accomplishment.

That being said, I also felt a gut wrenching sorrow for him when he limped out there. While it was great to see him back up, it was truly sad to see him after more than a year, still barely able to walk. While I'm sure that this got their fans fired up, all I could do was feel sincerely sorry for this kid.

I wondered if he would ever run without pain again, much less play D1 college football. But what a great guy to do what he has had to do. It must be a monumental challenge for him to stay motivated and stay positive when progress comes in such small steps.

I wish him all the best of luck and hope that he makes a full recovery and achieves all of his dreams in life.

Agreed! Was happy to see him able to move on it but heartstricken that how badly he could move on it after a full year. Hope the best for him!

As I posted a few weeks ago...I was standing next to him as I walked my daughter out, and he walked his brother out for Senior Night at Cleburne County HS (Heflin). He still had a sort of boot on and was limping badly.

He told me he was coming back for sure, but he did not look good walking. I think he had just had another corrective surgery, so it may just be the pain from the lingering after effects of that. I hope so. He made the greatest catch I've ever seen...and it would be a shame if he doesn't make it all the way back.

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

I hope he gets his college education paid for, uses his connections to start a successful business and makes more money that he ever would have in a pro football career.

Prothro was a great player. Notice I said "was"

Tyrone will never play a down of football again. Mark it down.

Yeah, it's a shame, but I just can't see him coming back to prior form. Or anything close to it.

Guest BoStillKnows

I was glad to see him walking; but, having him in uniform seemed liked desperate exploitation of the kid. If the fans could not get fired up for the game without something like this, shame on them.

If he had been in street clothes I think I would have felt differently. There was just something really lame about him being in uniform.

Lame like it has mean a TON to Pro that he has been able to suit up and dress for practice the last two weeks?

If you were at the game, youd know we didnt need any help to get fired up. And youd know how much it meant to Pro...

i think it's perfectly fine they dressed him out for the game. it's a stunt to get the crowd AND the players really fired up and i'm sure it worked. one play of a big game and the kid is ruined for life as far as athletics go. let him get his kicks in and don't be a dick about it. it obviously had no impact on the outcome of the game, and couldn't have hurt anything.

Guest BoStillKnows

i think it's perfectly fine they dressed him out for the game. it's a stunt to get the crowd AND the players really fired up and i'm sure it worked. one play of a big game and the kid is ruined for life as far as athletics go. let him get his kicks in and don't be a dick about it. it obviously had no impact on the outcome of the game, and couldn't have hurt anything.

I really didn't think I was being a dick about it. He looked like he was really having trouble jogging on the field. If he is well enough to practice and can walk and run without pain, then I am happy for him and he deserves to suit up. Otherwise, I don't see any other school doing the same.

I really didn't think I was being a dick about it. He looked like he was really having trouble jogging on the field. If he is well enough to practice and can walk and run without pain, then I am happy for him and he deserves to suit up. Otherwise, I don't see any other school doing the same.

i just think it's silly to even be worried about whether he was dressed out or not. he was a playmaker for that team and it's a big deal that his career ended the way it did. it was plain to see that he was not ever going to be in the shape it takes to play ball again, but it's just a consolation to him to allow him to feel like a part of the team again. i don't see what that hurts, and i definitely don't see why that's a particularly bammeriffic thing to do. no harm done, just a crowd pleaser for a team that definitely needed to do SOMETHING pleasant this season.

I can't imagine what it must have felt like for him to suit up and run out on that field after a full year of surgeries and rehab.

I'm glad they suited him up. As bittersweet of a sight as it was I was thinking how great it must have felt for him to do that.

On the one hand I know first hand how frustrated an athlete can be when his athletic life (@ least the high level of performance) is probably over and it's good to see him getting the props.

On the other hand, IMHO Tyrone Prothro is the most overrated college football player since Brian Bosworth. Nice catch...last year...against Southern Miss... that ESPN plays over and over and over

My moma always said "If you cannot say anything good don't say anything at all"

I am glad to see him walking and maybe one day he can play a down or two for the Capstone.

He was not overrated as you can see Bama went downhill last year after he was hurt. If he did not get hurt last year can you imagine having to defend against him this year? We may be the ones with our feelings hurt.

God Speed Tyrone.

I heard that he just had another type of corrective surgury so I dont think what we saw was Tyrone just a few weeks ago. That being said it did seem a like they were parading him about. I mean if you want the kid to feel like part of the team running the ball out when hes got a bum leg isnt the way to do it..let him run out with the rest of the guys. So I dont buy the "were letting him be part of the team" stuff. Theyve tried a few things now to get their fans fired up to play us the last few years. This seemed kinda sad. Best of luck to him. I hope he can prove people wrong (including myself) and come back as his old self as long as we keep beating bama. I think we couldve handled him last year, but with the way our secondary played this year he would have probably had a big day. I think Nakita picked up the slack for him though.

prothro was the best receiver in the sec last year. no joke. size or no, i would've taken him over anyone else in the sec in a pro draft. he was a quicker version of santana moss. what happened to him is heart breaking no matter what uniform he wore.

i wish him the best. i just don't think he'll ever play again. broken bone complications like that seem to never go away, and the least take two to three years to heal. look at grant hill's ankles, amare stoudamire and kenyon martin's knees, joe theisman's leg... if he ever plays at all, i'd be shocked, much less plays at his former level. unfortunately, i think he's another ac carter. i hope he's focusing most of his time on his studies because that's where his future is.

Oh woah. I am not really hearing this am I? Having Prothro out as a stunt to get the crowd and that they exploited him? Please, it's fine to hate Bama and stuff but there's no reason for that kind of talk. The kid played his heart out for the team and pretty much lost his career for them, no reason to hate on a kid by calling him overrated and stuff. Things he did last year was amazing, and it doesn't matter which team he played against when he made that awesome catch.

By the way, someone please tell all college football teams to never do anything to get the crowd into the game, that includes the band, alumni, majorettes, flybys, etc.

My moma always said "If you cannot say anything good don't say anything at all"

I agree. Notice the first line of my original post. Guess some people don't read and they just start typing.

I second that, Circle! I thought it was a classy thing for him to be able to come out for himself and the team.

On the one hand I know first hand how frustrated an athlete can be when his athletic life (@ least the high level of performance) is probably over and it's good to see him getting the props.

On the other hand, IMHO Tyrone Prothro is the most overrated college football player since Brian Bosworth. Nice catch...last year...against Southern Miss... that ESPN plays over and over and over

Ridiculous...all you have to do is look at Bamar's "before and after" offensive production to know that's not the case. I watched that kid on Friday nights for 3 years, and he's a phenom.... Tubby's already admitted that he made a mistake not finding a scholly for him....

He was exploited . Just a cheap classless act before a game. This kid was harmed by coaches who wanted to pound UF and he got hurt when he shoulda been riding the bench. He'll probably never be cleared to play, so I hope he becomes a success in whatever field he chooses. Too bad he probably has been robbed of a small fortune by coaches who wanted to run up the score. That too is exploitation.

how is it exploitation if all he wants in the world is to dress out again and represent his university (however poor it might be)? i bet you he was really excited about it.

Let’s leave the poor guy alone. I am sure he agreed to what they did and probably asked to do it. It is not unusual to see hurt Athletes on the sideline in the schools uniform. Remember the kid from Miss State who was paralyzed and they rolled him out on the field in a wheelchair?

I hate Bama but this was not a bad thing they let Tyrone do.

He was exploited . Just a cheap classless act before a game. This kid was harmed by coaches who wanted to pound UF and he got hurt when he shoulda been riding the bench. He'll probably never be cleared to play, so I hope he becomes a success in whatever field he chooses. Too bad he probably has been robbed of a small fortune by coaches who wanted to run up the score. That too is exploitation.

I DO agree with that....

I second that, Circle! I thought it was a classy thing for him to be able to come out for himself and the team.

I agree. I thought it was wonderful. Am an emotional gal and had tears in my eyes when he hobbled out. It was very clear at 13 months since the injury that he's not going to play again. I didn't see it as a stunt at all.

The kid's been through heck; it must have been huge for him to experience some normalcy again. If it was a stunt and got the crowds excited, so be it; they're allowed to do that. I would imagine that it meant the world to that kid, period.

I have as much disdain for that school as any of you here, but I never saw it as a stunt. Every time they showed Tyrone on the sidelines all the rivalry stuff disappeared and my heart just hurt for him. Sappy girl stuff, probably, but it's how I felt when I saw him. I am just glad I can see past the rivalry and past Tyrone's jersey color; it thrilled me to see him there, walking around and cheering on his team.

Archived