Commander-in-chief thanks father for son's service

TexasTiger

Bush has never made a personal sacrifice for anyone else and never would. And the truth is he doesn't really respect those that do.

Son also rises in testy Webb-Bush exchange

By Emily Heil

President Bush has pledged to work with the new Democratic majorities in Congress, but he has already gotten off on the wrong foot with Jim Webb, whose surprise victory over Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) tipped the Senate to the Democrats.

Webb, a decorated former Marine officer, hammered Allen and Bush over the unpopular war in Iraq while wearing his son’s old combat boots on the campaign trail. It seems the president may have some lingering resentment.

At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon.

“Jim did have a conversation with Bush at that dinner,” said Webb’s spokeswoman Kristian Denny Todd. “Basically, he asked about Jim’s son, Jim expressed the fact that he wanted to have him home.” Todd did not want to escalate matters by commenting on Bush’s response, saying, “It was a private conversation.”

A White House spokeswoman declined to give Bush’s version of the conversation.

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/...ome/112906.html

The man can't give a straight answer to a simple question. Of COURSE he's a Democrat! Duh !

He served his country proudly and he's elected to the Senate. Of course he's a Democrat!

So, let me get this straight TT. You think Bush is being a jerk by his comment, but you don't think Webb was being a jerk by his reply to the President's question? Seems to me that the President was trying to be sincere in asking Webb how his son was doing and Webb tried to make a political statement out of it. Why did he just not rely "My son is doing fine and I can't wait until he gets home". Nope, instead the democrat had to be an a-hole first. So, I don't blame Bush for getting upset when he was trying to be cordial and instead he gets a petty reply. Of course, reading this article, this is all just all "according to a source" crap. Depends on what side the aisle you sit own will depend on how you think the conversation went down.

BTW...nice classy topic header. Just shows that you liberals only respect the office when one of your guys are in it. As much as I could not stand Clinton and I hold him accountable for some military blunders I was involved in while serving under him, I never would make remarks like that to disgrace the office. Regardless of who is holding that position, whether I agree with them or not, I still respect the office.

Most Libs are pretty much d*ckheads anyway, so what do you expect?

They are as short on logic and reason as they are on class.

As much as I could not stand Clinton and I hold him accountable for some military blunders I was involved in while serving under him, I never would make remarks like that to disgrace the office. Regardless of who is holding that position, whether I agree with them or not, I still respect the office.

Good for you. That makes you a rare Republican. I remember the Clinton years.

Any "military blunders" Clinton was involved in really pale in comparison to the current guy, don't they?

So, let me get this straight TT. You think Bush is being a jerk by his comment, but you don't think Webb was being a jerk by his reply to the President's question? Seems to me that the President was trying to be sincere in asking Webb how his son was doing and Webb tried to make a political statement out of it. Why did he just not rely "My son is doing fine and I can't wait until he gets home". Nope, instead the democrat had to be an a-hole first. So, I don't blame Bush for getting upset when he was trying to be cordial and instead he gets a petty reply. Of course, reading this article, this is all just all "according to a source" crap. Depends on what side the aisle you sit own will depend on how you think the conversation went down.

BTW...nice classy topic header. Just shows that you liberals only respect the office when one of your guys are in it. As much as I could not stand Clinton and I hold him accountable for some military blunders I was involved in while serving under him, I never would make remarks like that to disgrace the office. Regardless of who is holding that position, whether I agree with them or not, I still respect the office.

Alot of parents could have made the same reply. Would it be so difficult for the guy who made the decision to involve us in a war longer that WWII to say, "I understand why a parent would want that. I respect your son's service."

Alot of parents could have made the same reply. Would it be so difficult for the guy who made the decision to involve us in a war longer that WWII to say, "I understand why a parent would want that. I respect your son's service."

"We've been at war longer than we were in WWII"...well, gee, if we fought this war the way we fought WWII, I think we would have been done along time ago.

We've had troops in Germany and Japan for over 60 years. What's our exit strategy?

Sorry, I'm not buying this version of the way the discussion went down. We have an unnamed source giving the account:

said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

Really? Well, I have a friend who knows a girl who lives next to a guy that picks up the trash at Sen. Kerry's house who heard the Butler there tell the delivery guy Kerry was actually in on the plot to fly planes into the Pentagon because he hates the troops so much.

Webb's people won't comment on Bush's side of the conversation nor will Bush's people. I find it hard to believe that Bush or any President would make such a callous remark. This sounds like a good old fashioned Enquirer style story. One true libruls are all too willing to buy - hook, line and sinker.

As much as I could not stand Clinton and I hold him accountable for some military blunders I was involved in while serving under him, I never would make remarks like that to disgrace the office. Regardless of who is holding that position, whether I agree with them or not, I still respect the office.

Good for you. That makes you a rare Republican. I remember the Clinton years.

Any "military blunders" Clinton was involved in really pale in comparison to the current guy, don't they?

Not really. Now that we know the truth, 9/11 would not have happened had good ole Clintax just accepted Bin Ladin as a gift. Instead, Bush has to clean up a mess that should never have happened. Do not bring Clintax into any kind of military discussion. A leader must be judged by what he failed to do as much as what he did do.

A leader must be judged by what he failed to do as much as what he did do.

I hope you remember these words when there are discussions of President Bush.

No S$IT. We have those discussions every day. The problem is that nobody wants to give him credit for keeping your sorry whiney liberal ass safe for the last few years. He has done many good things that never get discussed. But all we get from your side is the negative with NO NEW IDEAS. You have the floor now, you and yours do something other than bitch. We are and will be waiting. Nobody on this board has agreed with everything Bush has done. But the military issues were dumped in his lap by another pussified democrat who let it slide. AGAIN. He tried to clean up SS, but your ilk opposed him. Anything meaningful he has tried to do, he was fought by your side. He even let ole "Teddy the bitch killer" help out with the education stuff. And now you dims call it all crap. Guess what, its your crap too.

Now is your time to put up or shut up. The Bush bashing will not help you create new ideas. But do not bring Clintax's sorry ass into the discussion when it comes to anything dealing with national security.

Bush has never made a personal sacrifice for anyone else and never would. And the truth is he doesn't really respect those that do.

President Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard. If giving his time to serve his country isn't " personal sacrafice " , then what is ? Fact is, you don't know what Bush has or hasn't done w/ respect to such sacrafice, and even if you did, you'd never recognize it anyway.

No S$IT. We have those discussions every day. The problem is that nobody wants to give him credit for keeping your sorry whiney liberal ass safe for the last few years. He has done many good things that never get discussed. But all we get from your side is the negative with NO NEW IDEAS. You have the floor now, you and yours do something other than bitch. We are and will be waiting. Nobody on this board has agreed with everything Bush has done. But the military issues were dumped in his lap by another pussified democrat who let it slide. AGAIN. He tried to clean up SS, but your ilk opposed him. Anything meaningful he has tried to do, he was fought by your side. He even let ole "Teddy the bitch killer" help out with the education stuff. And now you dims call it all crap. Guess what, its your crap too.

Now is your time to put up or shut up. The Bush bashing will not help you create new ideas. But do not bring Clintax's sorry ass into the discussion when it comes to anything dealing with national security.

After the first WTC bombing, President Clinton kept your sorry, hate-filled, racist ass safe for 7 years and 11 months. Not one word of thanks from you!!! :poke::moon::ucrazy:

President Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard. If giving his time to serve his country isn't " personal sacrafice " , then what is ? Fact is, you don't know what Bush has or hasn't done w/ respect to such sacrafice, and even if you did, you'd never recognize it anyway.

Wow. You misspelled "sacrifice" twice in the same sentence!!

A few facts-- and yes, I know how you hate facts. Bush pulled strings to get into the TANG at a time when those in the Air National Guard rarely ever went to Viet Nam. Of course, his administration routinely sends the Guard and Reserves for extended combat tours, but that was not his experience. In fact, that was the only reason he joined-- to avoid going to war. So he gets in, scores the lowest possible on the requisite tests, takes his tax-dollar paid million dollar training in an aircraft not being used in Viet Nam at the time and then failed his physical and was grounded. Then he stopped showing up and got special permission to get out early and go to Grad school. That's what we know. He won't release his medical records, so we don't know why he failed his physical, or why he was doing community service in Houston months later. He won't tell us.

Present day: while Bush's kids he is still supporting are partying in Buenos Aires-- with taxpayer secret service protecdtion, Jim Webb's son has joined the Marines and is off to Iraq putting his life on the line. He didn't have to, but that is what men in his family routinely do. So a concerned father says he would like to have his son home from Iraq. The snippy spoiled child that you consider to be some kind of sterling leader can't stand to be questioned, even when he makes bonehead decisions that result in the death and dismemberment of OTHER people's children.

So, no, he has never sacrificed. He is totally unfamilar with the concept. Bush is a spoiled failure of a man who has gotten everywhere with Daddy's help. He is the consumate selfish, loser. There are alot of mediocre men like him, but most of them don't have the power to screw so many things up that effect so many people.

A few facts-- and yes, I know how you hate facts. Bush pulled strings to get into the TANG at a time when those in the Air National Guard rarely ever went to Viet Nam. Of course, his administration routinely sends the Guard and Reserves for extended combat tours, but that was not his experience. In fact, that was the only reason he joined-- to avoid going to war. So he gets in, scores the lowest possible on the requisite tests, takes his tax-dollar paid million dollar training in an aircraft not being used in Viet Nam at the time and then failed his physical and was grounded. Then he stopped showing up and got special permission to get out early and go to Grad school. That's what we know. He won't release his medical records, so we don't know why he failed his physical, or why he was doing community service in Houston months later. He won't tell us.

Present day: while Bush's kids he is still supporting are partying in Buenos Aires-- with taxpayer secret service protecdtion, Jim Webb's son has joined the Marines and is off to Iraq putting his life on the line. He didn't have to, but that is what men in his family routinely do. So a concerned father says he would like to have his son home from Iraq. The snippy spoiled child that you consider to be some kind of sterling leader can't stand to be questioned, even when he makes bonehead decisions that result in the death and dismemberment of OTHER people's children.

So, no, he has never sacrificed. He is totally unfamilar with the concept. Bush is a spoiled failure of a man who has gotten everywhere with Daddy's help. He is the consumate selfish, loser. There are alot of mediocre men like him, but most of them don't have the power to screw so many things up that effect so many people.

Don't be such a prick to highlight typos in a response. It only shows how petty you are and your attempt to draw away from the issues.

Bush served in the TANG. That was the question YOU posted, when has HE ever sacrificed. So yes, he has sacrificed. He was doing community service in Houston? More sacrifice. That's 2 x's you were wrong. Guess that makes us equal.

Bush certainly respects those in the military far more than John Kerry or Charles Rangel. And Bush scored higher on intelligence test than did John Kerry, so there goes your 'lowest possible on the requisite test' claim out the window. A snippy a-hole of a father who was asked a sincere and direct question by his son's Commander in Chief should show the dignity of politely responding , instead of showing what a arrogant and petty little prick he is by saying " that's between me and my boy " .

Don't be such a prick to highlight typos in a response. It only shows how petty you are and your attempt to draw away from the issues.

Bush served in the TANG. That was the question YOU posted, when has HE ever sacrificed. So yes, he has sacrificed. He was doing community service in Houston? More sacrifice. That's 2 x's you were wrong. Guess that makes us equal.

Bush certainly respects those in the military far more than John Kerry or Charles Rangel. And Bush scored higher on intelligence test than did John Kerry, so there goes your 'lowest possible on the requisite test' claim out the window. A snippy a-hole of a father who was asked a sincere and direct question by his son's Commander in Chief should show the dignity of politely responding , instead of showing what a arrogant and petty little prick he is by saying " that's between me and my boy " .

Once is a typo. Twice in the same sentence, especially when the keys in question are typed with the opposite hand, means you can't spell. Don't blame messenger.

He served in the TANG to AVOID sacrifice. Many folks did back then, including friends and relatives of mine. For many at the time, their only interest in serving in the Guard was to avoid serving in Viet Nam. Today is obviously very different. You're so far up his butt you can't see it. Or anything else.

Kerry and Rangel are decorated combat veterans. Hate them all you want, but if you think Bush respects the military you're a fool.

You're too much of an idiot to make a valid point. Kerry is irrelevant to the fact that Bush made the lowest possible score to qualify for pilot training. Kerry could be a certified imbecile and that wouldn't change the factual accuracy of what I said. But as I also said, I know how you do hate facts. They confuse the hell out of you.

I doubt Webb considered Bush's question "sincere." I wouldn't either. Bush's response confirmed that it wasn't.

Once is a typo. Twice in the same sentence, especially when the keys in question are typed with the opposite hand, means you can't spell. Don't blame messenger.

He served in the TANG to AVOID sacrifice. Many folks did back then, including friends and relatives of mine. For many at the time, their only interest in serving in the Guard was to avoid serving in Viet Nam. Today is obviously very different. You're so far up his butt you can't see it. Or anything else.

Kerry and Rangel are decorated combat veterans. Hate them all you want, but if you think Bush respects the military you're a fool.

You're too much of an idiot to make a valid point. Kerry is irrelevant to the fact that Bush made the lowest possible score to qualify for pilot training. Kerry could be a certified imbecile and that wouldn't change the factual accuracy of what I said. But as I also said, I know how you do hate facts. They confuse the hell out of you.

I doubt Webb considered Bush's question "sincere." I wouldn't either. Bush's response confirmed that it wasn't.

All the words I've typed here, and you say I can't spell because I typed an 'a' instead of a 'i' twice. Wow. Guess that means my degree from Auburn is worthless too,huh? That's the moronic logic you rely on, no wonder you can't deal w/ facts.

I find it kinda funny that you hate Bush so much, that you'd side w/ a Senator who is universally viewed by all those who know him of being a jack-a$$. I'm glad that something like that ruins your day every time you see PRESIDENT Bush.

You're a miserable piece of $hit, and it shows.

All the words I've typed here, and you say I can't spell because I typed an 'a' instead of a 'i' twice. Wow. Guess that means my degree from Auburn is worthless too,huh? That's the moronic logic you rely on, no wonder you can't deal w/ facts.

I find it kinda funny that you hate Bush so much, that you'd side w/ a Senator who is universally viewed by all those who know him of being a jack-a$$. I'm glad that something like that ruins your day every time you see PRESIDENT Bush.

You're a miserable piece of $hit, and it shows.

While your posts consistently show what a refreshing ray of sunshine you are. :P

Looks to me like TT put the issues right in your face and your response is John Kerry and Charles Rangel. :roflol:

Looks to me like TT put the issues right in your face and your response is John Kerry and Charles Rangel. :roflol:

How does TT put the issues right in my face ? By being WRONG ? Wow, that really puts me in my place. <_<

Kerry and Rangel are prime examples of how Dems hate the military. Kerry makes a 'botched' joke, and rightfully gets vilified for his assinine words. Then Rangel goes out and basically says the exact same thing, and hardly anyone bats an eye. Why? Because it's old news! The Dems have shown nothing but distain for our military, and it shows. Rangel has no interest in the nation's security, he just wants to relive his youth and socially engineer our country with some absurd, needless draft. This has nothing to do w/ protecting the nation or building up the defenses, and everything to do with 'making' everyone miserable. In Rangel's mind, only the poor minorities serve, and by making the sons and daughters of rich white kids serve, he hopes to force military life on those who otherwise would not. He's not looking to upgade the military, but instead

How does TT put the issues right in my face ? By being WRONG ? Wow, that really puts me in my place. <_<

Kerry and Rangel are prime examples of how Dems hate the military. Kerry makes a 'botched' joke, and rightfully gets vilified for his assinine words. Then Rangel goes out and basically says the exact same thing, and hardly anyone bats an eye. Why? Because it's old news! The Dems have shown nothing but distain for our military, and it shows. Rangel has no interest in the nation's security, he just wants to relive his youth and socially engineer our country with some absurd, needless draft. This has nothing to do w/ protecting the nation or building up the defenses, and everything to do with 'making' everyone miserable. In Rangel's mind, only the poor minorities serve, and by making the sons and daughters of rich white kids serve, he hopes to force military life on those who otherwise would not. He's not looking to upgade the military, but instead

Drunk again? This early? BTW, the word is "disdain", not "distain." Have a good day!

Dems hate the military

The ultra-liberal ones do.

Kerry and Rangel are decorated combat veterans

So what, I am too. Being given a medal on the battlefield (deservedly or not) doesn't make their opinion any more important than any other veteran. Kerry undid anything he accomplished by turning on his brothers in arms back in the early 70's. His name should never be associated with the military or "war hero" after the s**t he did.

Here's a question for you two democrat party bobo honkers. Why do democrats hate the National Guard so much?

Here's a question for you two democrat party bobo honkers. Why do democrats hate the National Guard so much?

Huh? :blink: It's the Republicans making the Guard do repeated extended combat tours. Why do Republicans hate military families so much?

Archived