A Realistic View of $aban

Proud Tiger

While I think that college v pro is a big issue, it's not the only issue spinning inside his brain.

Obviously, he's not going to go coach the Golden Gophers for chump change. Money's still an issue. However, that's an issue that I don't see working against us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except our program doesn't fire people after 2 or 3 seasons. We give them a chance to prove themselves. Bama keeps firing people before they get a chance to "turn the corner." Everytime they change coaches they basically start all over. $aban has only been with the fins 2 years. And Huizenga realizes that you can't turn it around in 2 seasons. That's why he's a great owner to work for and that's what is making this decision for $aban so hard. If $aban stays he'll have it turned around soon enough. THat's how you turn a program around you stick with a coach until it fixes not fire him and keep thinking the next guy will immediately start winning.

That's right. That's why you'll know if $aban leaves, he doubted his ability to be successful.

IT'S THE SAME MONEY... DO YOU NOT SEE THAT??? I KNOW BAMA MATH IS PRETTY BAD DOWN THERE BUT GEEZE. If anything Miami is paying him more.

4.5 million from Miami > 4 million from Bama

Has is money deciding this? IT'S NOT.

I don't know if the mods did something but if I type $aban even without the $ it still shows up... And ya know while some people believe he's a sell out I don't and would prefer the $ sign not to show up in his name when I type it.

IT'S THE SAME MONEY... DO YOU NOT SEE THAT??? I KNOW BAMA MATH IS PRETTY BAD DOWN THERE BUT GEEZE. If anything Miami is paying him more.

You know how to multiply that figure by number of guaranteed years, don't you?

The cost of living between Miami and Tuscaloosa is like night and day.

Except our program doesn't fire people after 2 or 3 seasons. We give them a chance to prove themselves. Bama keeps firing people before they get a chance to "turn the corner." Everytime they change coaches they basically start all over. $aban has only been with the fins 2 years. And Huizenga realizes that you can't turn it around in 2 seasons. That's why he's a great owner to work for and that's what is making this decision for $aban so hard. If $aban stays he'll have it turned around soon enough. THat's how you turn a program around you stick with a coach until it fixes not fire him and keep thinking the next guy will immediately start winning.

You say that. . .

I remember November of '03, where CTT limped into the game against his arch-rival after a season of dissapointment. Going into that game, he had a 2-2 record against us at Auburn and a dismal overall record thanks to his days in Oxford. Your Paul Bryant Jr's and Drummond's weren't happy and we all know what threw down in the Bluegrass State. If Alabama had been able to come up with 6 more points that night, Tommy Tuberville would not be the head coach of Auburn right now. He would have been fired after a relatively short, 5 year stint as HC and we would not be having this discussion right now.

Dude seriously know what you are talking before you start speaking... I'm not talking about Auburn. I'm talking about Miami. Miami does not fire people every 2 or 3 seasons. We give them a chance. That's why I said Huizenga is a great owner to work for.

Sorry about that. "We" usually means "Auburn" on this board. Forgive me for not reading your mind.

Also, the word "program" is usually used in college athletics and "organization" in the pros. :)

Sorry about that. "We" usually means "Auburn" on this board. Forgive me for not reading your mind.

Also, the word "program" is usually used in college athletics and "organization" in the pros. :)

Reading my mind???? Did I not say Huizenga realizes?

I see that, although if it's 1:08 AM and you're just casually reading posts... that you could miss it.

Chillax. I've heard your 'Fins argument made many times in regards to AU. It's all good, though.

The cost of living between Miami and Tuscaloosa is like night and day.

That's cuz there's nice restaurants in South Beach and other stuff you may want to spend your money on. :poke:

I've been to South Beach. It does nothing for me.

I was afraid I was going to catch something just breathing that air. The actual city of Miami is, in my opinion, tetering on third world status.

Nothing is guaranteed at Bama. Hmmm let's see just last year Shula signed a 10 year contract and 1 year later he got the boot. What about this contract makes you think these 8 - 10 years are guaranteed? They would be guaranteed IF he wins right??? Hmmm you don't think Huizenga will offer CNS more years and more money if he's winning? Your argument holds no water.

That's just the thing. Right now, CNS isn't winning.

I hear that most Fin fans want him gone. Did anybody hear Miami's version of Finebaum today? Wow. Just know he didn't "hold back". . .

Nothing is guaranteed at Bama. Hmmm let's see just last year Shula signed a 10 year contract and 1 year later he got the boot. What about this contract makes you think these 8 - 10 years are guaranteed? They would be guaranteed IF he wins right??? Hmmm you don't think Huizenga will offer $aban more years and more money if he's winning? Your argument holds no water.

$aban's in the driver's seat. No guarantees, no deal. BTW, Shula is owed money for the years remaining. That's how contracts typically work. Your arguments hold no argument.

He just seems worn out from the schedule an NFL coach has to put up with. With all the comments about "When will I get to talk to my wife?" I think he wants to get back in the college game but he's torn by the fact that he made a promise to the dolphins. It's his family vs. his word and a lot of people would have trouble with a decision like that. I would look for $aban to turn down the deal turn Miami around and get back into a college HC job as soon as possible.

I'm not sure a college coach's schedule is any less demanding. The season may be a few games shorter, but then you've got the recruiting trail, spring training, alumni & booster meetings, fund-raising appearances, etc., not to mention keeping rein on your kids' behavior and academics year round and dealing with their parents. Also, seems like college fans feel they have a much greater right to intrude on a coach & team than in the pros--college fans want to attend practices, tour offices & facilities, have more real input into the program, etc., particularly if they're big donors or have a famly legacy with the program.

As for time with the wife--I think the PR duties and pressures on a coach's wife are much more intense at a school like Bama than in the pros. Being the "First Lady" of Crimson Tide football is almost a full-time PR job itself.

Regarding hypocracy: I can't defend CTT's comments at Ole Miss, but Bama fans sure were full of righteous indignation when Franchione "sabaned" them for Texas A&M. ...guess "holding the rope", honesty, and keeping one's word isn't as important now.

Nothing is guaranteed at Bama. Hmmm let's see just last year Shula signed a 10 year contract and 1 year later he got the boot. What about this contract makes you think these 8 - 10 years are guaranteed? They would be guaranteed IF he wins right??? Hmmm you don't think Huizenga will offer $aban more years and more money if he's winning? Your argument holds no water.

$aban's in the driver's seat. No guarantees, no deal. BTW, Shula is owed money for the years remaining. That's how contracts typically work. Your arguments hold no argument.

Let's see Shula got like a 4 million dollar buyout clause for his troubles right??? Hmm... So let's say Nick $aban gets 7 million buyout clause or even 10 million. That's not the 40 million he's promised if they keep him for 8 - 10 years. Bama thinks they are slick by offering this huge 10 years deals with boat loads of money know they are going to make good on these offers.

Let's see Shula got like a 4 million dollar buyout clause for his troubles right??? Hmm... So let's say Nick $aban gets 7 million buyout clause or even 10 million. That's not the 40 million he's promised if they keep him for 8 - 10 years. Bama thinks they are slick by offering this huge 10 years deals with boat loads of money know they are going to make good on these offers.

I don't think either of us have read the terms of the contract, but I'm sure Nick's lawyer, agent and Nick himself are making sure they are comfortable with it-- just like he did when he negotiated a great deal with Miami.

I haven't heard anyone comment yet on the three years/$15 million left on $aban's Miami contract should he leave. Can he get out of that so easily? If a buyout is involved, would that come out of $aban's pocket or would Bama pony up for that also?

Did I say that??? All I'm saying is If he wins at bama or he wins at Miami is is gonna make the same if not more with Miami. If he loses. Miami will give him his 3 years left on his contract I strongly believe that. If he does win at Bama. Whatever the Buyout clause is I really doubt it will be more than the 13.5 million he will make with Miami in the next 3 years even if he doesn't start winning.

I haven't heard anyone comment yet on the three years/$15 million left on $aban's Miami contract should he leave. Can he get out of that so easily? If a buyout is involved, would that come out of $aban's pocket or would Bama pony up for that also?

He's free.

We'll owe Miami nothing if CNS decides to board that plane.

Here's "a" source. I can find another one if you like?

http://slam.canoe.ca/CPSportsTicker/CANOE-...hins-$aban.html

$aban agreed to a five-year contract worth at least US$22.5 million with Miami on Christmas Day 2004. He'll celebrate the second anniversary of that deal Monday night, when the Dolphins -- 6-8 this season and 15-15 in their two seasons under $aban -- host the New York Jets.

Just in case 22.5 million/5 years = 4.5 million/year

Archived