Any plans for celebration?

auburnspice

Does anyone know if there are any plans in place to celebrate with and honor this years team?

Something like we were able to do after the perfect season with the rally at Toomers?

At this point in Auburn history, we do not celebrate mediocre seasons anymore.

While the highs were high this year, we didn't even make a BCS bowl. That's not good enough for a celebration in my humble opinion.

While the highs were high this year, we didn't even make a BCS bowl. That's not good enough for a celebration in my humble opinion.

:blink:

and yall call us delusional. :poke:

Excuse me for asking.

Why would it be delusional to not plan a big celebration in a season without an SEC title or a BCS bowl? I mean, if we want to plan something for this senior class being the winningest in Auburn history, fine. But I wouldn't plan something just based on this season. He's right...it isn't good enough anymore. We have higher expectations. Not bammer style delusions of 1970s-era domination, just higher expectations.

My only issue is that an 11-2 season is far from mediocre. It was a really good year and quite an accomplishment all things considered.

I think we had a great season with a couple of bumps in the road. I will take this over any of the Barfield years.

Why would it be delusional to not plan a big celebration in a season without an SEC title or a BCS bowl? I mean, if we want to plan something for this senior class being the winningest in Auburn history, fine. But I wouldn't plan something just based on this season. He's right...it isn't good enough anymore. We have higher expectations. Not bammer style delusions of 1970s-era domination, just higher expectations.

My only issue is that an 11-2 season is far from mediocre. It was a really good year and quite an accomplishment all things considered.

I cant agree more... I think we had more people playing hurt than we realize... for that being said to go 11-2 we are very lucky indeed and thankful for good coaching.

thats what i'm talking about. it just sounded like a completely unappreciative statement, as if the team is not good enough for him to be a fan. 3 years ago AU was coming off an 8-5 season with an appearance in the Music City Bowl, and the 3 years before that were fairly mediocre. so after 3 seasons of doing very well yall are supposed to come out and be in a BCS bowl/win a MNC every year? seems kind of steep to me. but thats just my .02.

Right. And if old saint nick doesn't win big THIS season, you folks will be ready to call back flipper.

Right. And if old saint nick doesn't win big THIS season, you folks will be ready to call back flipper.

hey WT, spurrier is still a LOCK, right? :poke:

sorry man, i just had to say it.

and i don't think ANYTHING will make us want to call him back. he won one big game against UF, and thats it.

thats what i'm talking about. it just sounded like a completely unappreciative statement, as if the team is not good enough for him to be a fan. 3 years ago AU was coming off an 8-5 season with an appearance in the Music City Bowl, and the 3 years before that were fairly mediocre. so after 3 seasons of doing very well yall are supposed to come out and be in a BCS bowl/win a MNC every year? seems kind of steep to me. but thats just my .02.

Thanks for your .02.

I think when a 11-2 season with a bowl win is considered mediocre, that's sad. Yes, I was very disappointed with our two loses, especially the severity of them, but I will NEVER be disappointed with our team and what they did accomplish this season.

I suppose if there is some kind of event scheduled, some would consider anyone who attends to be idiots because they will be acknowledging "mediocrity". sheesh

Thanks for your .02.

I think when a 11-2 season with a bowl win is considered mediocre, that's sad. Yes, I was very disappointed with our two loses, especially the severity of them, but I will NEVER be disappointed with our team and what they did accomplish this season.

I suppose if there is some kind of event scheduled, some would consider anyone who attends to be idiots because they will be acknowledging "mediocrity". sheesh

This thread is quickly spiraling out of control.

Auburnspice, you asked if there was going to be a celebration for this team (11-2) like there was for the 2004 team (13-0, won the Sugar Bowl). I have not heard of any such celebration.

I think the point of the flamers was that while 2006 was a great season, it was not quite the same as 2004, which was a very rare occurrence. So I think they were saying that we are probably not going to celebrate 2006 as we did 2004 because they are not on quite the same level.

I don't think anyone is an idiot for thinking 2006 was a great season.

I am certainly proud of this team. They've accomplished quite a bit. As I said previously, the highs were quite high. The UF game may be one of my favorite AU games of all time. Superb individual performances were out there.

Had AU rolled out in the Cotton Bowl and showed offensive prowess, I might be able to dismiss the rest of the games as "our players were injured." However, we looked just as inept on O in the Cotton Bowl with Brandon Cox and Kenny Irons "healthy" again.

Our 2006 season is quite reminiscent (sp?) of Bama's 2005 season. We were LUCKY to win quite a few of them. This 11 win season was close enough to a 6 win season to give me some worry.

UF - Played to Potential

LSU - Played to Potential

WSU - Played to Potential

MSU - Played to Potential

Bama - Iron Bowl win, but underacheived on most facets

Nebraska - Under acheived on offense at least

Ole Miss - Under acheived

South Carolina - Under acheived

Tulane - Throw away game

Ark. State - Throw away game

Buffalo - Throw away game

So, of those 11 games, there are only 6 of which I am proud. Only four in which we looked like an elite team. How is that not mediocre?

Go team, rah, rah. etc. But lets not slip back into the 1999 state of mind. You don't hold a parade for 2nd place in the SEC west. You don't hold a parade for a Cotton Bowl victory. You don't hold a parade after getting pasted by UGA and Arky at home. This was the year we were uber-hyped by ESPN, and like Icarus, we flew too close to the sun.

I understand the reasoning somewhat for some of the comments being made. There were games we should have won BIG....no matter who was playing for Auburn. No doubt about that. I would say the team was mediocre in those games. I do not consider the season mediocre, however. I just thought how nice it would be to be able to show the guys how much we appreciate them and what they did accomplish this year.

I think we celebrate too much in today's society. A perfect season, yes. A championship, yes. But there has to be a third place team. And usually you don't overly celebrate third place. Not that it's not good, just that its not a good idea to celebrate good. Celebrations should be saved for the special times. I am very proud of this year's team. But to throw them a party would be like throwing the whole class party because one kid got an "A".

I've just taken the word celebrate out of my vocabulary. If you will notice, I also used the word honor in my original post, yet everyone wants to get all up in arms over the word celebrate. cripes

Archived