Mlb Hall of Fame 07

jumbo

Hof 2007

I was a little surprised the Mark Mcgwire only got 23 percent of the vote, he may never get into the hall! He could be the next pete rose

Congrats to Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr!

I really think Big Mac will get in next year. I think a lot of voters said no this go around for how much a coward he was in front of Congress.

Hof 2007

I was a little surprised the Mark Mcgwire only got 23 percent of the vote, he may never get into the hall! He could be the next pete rose

Congrats to Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr!

Pete admitted he did it, so at least he has that going for him. I obviously don't know if Mcgwire took anything, so I won't speculate, but he chose to refuse speaking of the past, which is how voters base the decisions.. past accomplishments. As for him never making it... I believe there was a player that got only 16% of the voth the first year he was eligible, and eventually made it, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Gossage needs to be in too.

I wish Mark would NEVER get in but I do agree that at one point in the next 2-3 votes....he will get in. Ashame such a liar will be put into the HOF.

My thing is, until it is proven he cheated, how do you not let him in? His numbers are definitely good enough.

Ty Cobb is in the HOF and if you will read memiors of players and journalists back then, you will find that he was accused by many of being the dirtiest player in the game, but he was never proven to be a cheater.

Do I think McGwire was juicing? Sadly I must admit he probably was. But, suspecting that he was and actually knowing that he was is not the same and he should not be kept out because of what we think we may know.

Do I think McGwire was juicing? Sadly I must admit he probably was. But, suspecting that he was and actually knowing that he was is not the same and he should not be kept out because of what we think we may know.

Keep in mind, it also wasn't illegal then. The difference, in my mind, between him and Bonds is that Bonds was (allegedly) doping AFTER steroids became a banned substance.

Hitting HR still requires as much talent as strength - or else some Iron Man dude could break the record. It should be left to on-field activities. The sad thing about Bonds is that he was having a HOF type career WITHOUT the roids - but got jealous of Sosa and Mac and went overboard.

look at pics of sosa and mcgwire as a rookie and even bonds and they are twice as big now and you cant do that without steroids especially all muscle

Jenny reminds us of a good point, it was not illegal in the sport. So, at the time, they were playing within the rules of the game. So, do you not have to let him in if he was not breaking any rules? If not, then we are getting into an argument about ethics then. So, again, though we suspect that McGwire has violated some sort of unwritten code of ethics, we do not have proof of that.

However, using anabolic steroids in a non-prescribed manner in the United States has been against the law for quite some time now. So, even though juicers were not doing anything against the rules according to MLB, they were still breaking the law by using a controlled substance in an illegal way. That is why McGwire would not say anything to incriminate himself at those hearings.

My thing is, until it is proven he cheated, how do you not let him in? His numbers are definitely good enough.

Ty Cobb is in the HOF and if you will read memiors of players and journalists back then, you will find that he was accused by many of being the dirtiest player in the game, but he was never proven to be a cheater.

I guess my response would be that McGwire's Congressional testimony was in fact his admission to juicing.

I guess the question should be, does doing something illegal make you ineligible for the hall of fame? Or is it just some "unforgivable" crimes???? Such as Rose gambling or McGuire juicing, which he never admitted, he just refused to incriminate himself. I just think people like Darryl Strawberry or others with sketchy pasts will get in, but others have unforgivable crimes. I think we either have to punish everyone, or punish no one. I would say everyone's out thats been convicted of felony. That would still let McGuire in.

I guess the question should be, does doing something illegal make you ineligible for the hall of fame? Or is it just some "unforgivable" crimes???? Such as Rose gambling or McGuire juicing, which he never admitted, he just refused to incriminate himself. I just think people like Darryl Strawberry or others with sketchy pasts will get in, but others have unforgivable crimes. I think we either have to punish everyone, or punish no one. I would say everyone's out thats been convicted of felony. That would still let McGuire in.

After Rose admitted it WHILE trying to make money on a book AND he denied it for years...I hope the scumbag never comes close to the HOF

After Rose admitted it WHILE trying to make money on a book AND he denied it for years...I hope the scumbag never comes close to the HOF

I was saying McGuire never admitted guilt.

You never really answered the question. Does doing something illegal make you ineligible???

If Mark used the roids during his last few years in the bigs (which I think he obviously admits by the way he dealt with the Congressional hearings), then yes...I would not let him in to the HOF

I hate it that Mcgwire looked like a idiot on tv with his bs testimony I was a huge fan of his and watched everyday when he and sosa were chasing Maris in 98 I think it really saved baseball and brought the fans of baseball back! Its sad to find out bad things about your hero's kinda like finding out there is no Santa!!!

I laugh at the Missouri guy asking McGwire if he could go home and tell his constiutients that Mark played the game fairly and McGwire gave his stupid repeat statement.

Archived