Adam LaRoche traded to Pirates for Mike Gonzalez

CShine

The Pittsburgh Pirates, filling their need for a left-handed power bat, acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche from the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday for lefty reliever Mike Gonzalez. The Braves will receive another as yet unidentified player. Neither team would comment and an announcement is not yet scheduled.

The Pirates and Braves had been discussing a LaRoche-Gonzalez swap for weeks. Pittsburgh general manager Dave Littlefield was looking to upgrade an offense that ranked last in the National League with 141 home runs and a .397 slugging percentage.

LaRoche hit 32 homers and drove in 90 runs last season and finished in a tie for seventh in the National League with a .561 slugging percentage.

Gonzalez went 3-4 with 24 saves and a 2.17 ERA for the Pirates in 2006. Gonzalez should help improve an Atlanta bullpen that went 25-23 with a 4.39 ERA last season and blew a league-high 29 saves. Bob Wickman saved 18 games after coming over in a July trade with Cleveland, and the Braves picked up reliever Rafael Soriano from Seattle last month in a deal for starter Horacio Ramirez.

The Braves will go into 2007 with a new right side of the infield. Kelly Johnson and Martin Prado are the leading candidates to replace second baseman Marcus Giles, who signed with San Diego when the Braves declined to tender him a contract in December. Scott Thorman, who hit five homers in 128 at-bats with Atlanta last season, could replace LaRoche at first base.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2734082

Has anyone ever noticed that most of the homers in the state of alabama are braves fans. I guess the A on the hats are interchangeable from Baseball to Football Season. I just quit watching sports until Fall everyyear.

err im an advid braves fan. and have been my whole life. I think that's one thing auburn and alabama fans can relate to. Until one jerk starts comparing bobby cox to the buhr is when i have to step in

Back in the 80's when they had Ron Gant and Dale Murphy they averaged about 2500 people a gam. THey started winning and they have more bandwagon fans than any team I can think of. The cubs however fill every game regardless. I grew up with TBS and WGN and I chose WGN and Harry Carry, that's why the Cubs have a National Following.

Back in the 80's when they had Ron Gant and Dale Murphy they averaged about 2500 people a gam. THey started winning and they have more bandwagon fans than any team I can think of. The cubs however fill every game regardless. I grew up with TBS and WGN and I chose WGN and Harry Carry, that's why the Cubs have a National Following.

That's what happens at most professional team cities anyway. What makes ATL different?

I like the Braves, but I have been a diehard Pirates fan for years. We SUCK, so getting LaRoche is good thing at this point. B)

It makes me so mad to see the braves trade away talent or let them go as a free agent! LaRoche was a great young player that the braves could have built a team around to me this stinks who the hell is Mike Gonzalez anyway :puke:

Avid Braves fan here too. And I was one of those 2500 in attendance on several occasions. Hey, you pretty much got your pick of the seats at old Fulton County. :big:

The Braves quit spending money a few years back. They've shelled out the bucks to keep what they believe is the core of the team in Smoltz and the Jones boys. But, they've long since started a youth movement and I actually think it's kind of fun again. It's no longer a given that they'll win the penant and go out meekly in the playoffs. Guys like Francoeur and McCann, Thorman, Langerhans etc. are fun to watch.

And Gonzales will be a good addition. This guy has a real live arm.

If anyone cares, the Braves added 1B Craig Wilson via free agency. He and Scott Thorman will platoon at first base. It looks like Kelly Johnson will play 2B for the Braves, with Willy Aybar donning the Wilson Betemit-reserve spot.

If anyone cares, the Braves added 1B Craig Wilson via free agency. He and Scott Thorman will platoon at first base. It looks like Kelly Johnson will play 2B for the Braves, with Willy Aybar donning the Wilson Betemit-reserve spot.

I care thanks for the info!

Atlanta is a relatively young sports city. The teams got there in the 70's. Most of the people that live in the city or around it didn't grow up in Atlanta. The city boomed in the 70's and again in the 90's. That is why you don't have a diehard fan base like Chicago or Boston or where ever. I'm only 21 so I was very young when we were losing and started winning. I don't like Atlanta fans in any sport, but they are getting better. The Braves have a very young fan base right now (all the ones that grew up with us winning 14 straight). If you go to a game you can see there are more college age kids there than most other teams have.

Archived