Back from Tuscaloosa

TigerMom

I just returned from a conference in Tuscaloosa and as it was my first visit to the "enemy camp", I thought I would share some things I heard and saw.

1. Saban was at the conference center last night, an acquaintance was thrilled to get his picture made with Saban. He is an Alabama fan. Most of us were Auburn folks and were disgusted by his actions.

2. We were in the mall - a manager at a card shop brought in 6 mini helmets signed by Saban. They were going to be sold for $500 a piece. He said they would be gone by the end of the day and would be "priceless" after they win the national championship next year!!!! :roflol::roflol: All I could think about was all the poor folks mortgaging their trailers to get some money to purchase this memorablilia.

3. Parked my car next to one that was painted with "We love you Nick, ROLL TIDE".

4. Alabama coeds are not the most attractive in the SEC. On my way in to the conference, one was sitting in her car clipping her toenails! YUCK!

5. I regret I didn't get to the Bear Bryant Museum. But I heard there was an admission cost and I was NOT giving the University of Alabama ANY more money than I had to.

6. Spoke to a nice young man in an Alabama shirt, I said "Oh, YOU'RE an Alabama fan, what is the story about the Crimson Tide?" He said although he worked for the university he was NOT an Alabama fan. He didn't say who he pulled for, but he was very nice when he found out I was from Auburn.

7. The conference center has an exhibit with various photos of Alabama football from this past year. Funny, there were NONE from the Iron Bowl! :roflol::roflol:

8. The fans I spoke to are CERTAIN they will win the National Championship NEXT YEAR. They were very serious!

9. I did see the mullets, toothless fans, and some scary looking ones. But, the students and faculty as a whole were very nice.

10. TUSCALOOSER is not paradise, give me AU any day. Their campus is spread out. I will say there were NO parking Nazis on duty like we have at AU.

11. On the way home today, listening to ESPN radio, a guy who covers the Miami dolphins referred to Nick $aban as the "master of the double talk". He also said he was a tyrant that Miami was thrilled to get rid of.

It was an interesting trip. Their conference and music facilities are top notch! I wish we had that at AU, but the town is not pretty, the campus isn't as pretty as AU. I was thankful my car wasn't keyed. The student newspaper went on and on about how N$ is a "recognized name" and that will help product sales and generate more $$ for the University (which they will need to pay $aint Nick).

8. The fans I spoke to are CERTAIN they will win the National Championship NEXT YEAR. They were very serious!

Grads and such on this board dont say that. But the dirt road alums at work....They are certain of it. If they dont win the 2007 Iron Bowl at least, there will be thousands of arrests for spousal abuse that day. ;)

I kid you not about the MNC in 2007 stuff. The more rational ones know better but the serious rank and file bunch are sold on the idea that Connelly and Shula were just holding back a team that is Top Ten at least, and maybe Top Five, in talent.

Grads and such on this board dont say that. But the dirt road alums at work....They are certain of it. If they dont win the 2007 Iron Bowl at least, there will be thousands of arrests for spousal abuse that day. ;)

I kid you not about the MNC in 2007 stuff. The more rational ones know better but the serious rank and file bunch are sold on the idea that Connelly and Shula were just holding back a team that is Top Ten at least, and maybe Top Five, in talent.

Agree with the grads not being as delusional. My two best friends are former athletes and UAT grads, one still lives in Northport, and neither really think Saban is going to turn things around as quickly as the toothless masses think. Heck one of them thinks he was the wrong hire altogether and both agree he will not be there for no more then 4-5 years.

TigerMom, you described Tuscaloosa as it is, not somewhere you want to live. When I lived in Northport for a few months with my buddy, he even joked how you can tell where town ended and the school started. Like you said, UATs campus is not bad, not as good as AU, but it is spread out all over the place. You speak of no "parking Nazis" at UAT, now that I think about it, I hardly ever remember even seeing campus police around the UAT campus and I was there on a daily basis during two different spring semesters.

It was an interesting trip. Their conference and music facilities are top notch! I wish we had that at AU, but the town is not pretty, the campus isn't as pretty as AU. I was thankful my car wasn't keyed. The student newspaper went on and on about how N$ is a "recognized name" and that will help product sales and generate more $$ for the University (which they will need to pay $aint Nick).

You were afraid of getting you car keyed? Are you kidding me? Its not like you were in down town Atlanta. Your not the only Auburn fan that has come through Alabama.

You were afraid of getting you car keyed? Are you kidding me? Its not like you were in down town Atlanta. Your not the only Auburn fan that has come through Alabama.

There are folks on this board that live in Tuscaloosa and they can tell you of near daily harassment. I will let them speak on the board or in PMs themselves.

Yeah, my first impression of AU wasnt great either. I had been on campus for 3 minutes and noticed a guy literally walking his pet goat.

I later found out that it was a professor at AU.

Yeah, my first impression of AU wasnt great either. I had been on campus for 3 minutes and noticed a guy literally walking his pet goat.

You got something against goats?

Nah...just doubt they make great pets. And since when do they need "walking"?

Its the only way they get excersise. You see they have to stay on a chain or they will tear up your yard.

Its the only way they get excersise. You see they have to stay on a chain or they will tear up your yard.

I think the point is, why have a goat? He was saying that it is kinda redneck........anyway you slice it, Bama and AU have their redneck sides.

Why is having a goat anymore redneck than having a dog? Unusual, I'll give you that, but why is having a goat "redneck"?

I think the point is, why have a goat? He was saying that it is kinda redneck........anyway you slice it, Bama and AU have their redneck sides.

:lol:

I love you guys arguing sometimes. Seriously, as someone not in ya'lls rivalry....the arguments you two have against each other are hilarious to read...

My thoughts on both campuses

Alabama - Been to Bama 3 times....once for UGA game in 2002 and visit friends in 2003 and 2004. I liked it really. I thought the campus was well put together and the city part was nice. I liked most of the buildings and I thought the stadium area was put in the right place AND the circle frat/sorority row thing was cool. Only thing I didnt like was how it was a little tough to get around some of the areas school wise.

Auburn - AU was the FIRST SCHOOL to accept me and the first non-Louisiana school that I visited...did you all know that? I didnt like the campus at all the day I visited AU....i guess I just wasnt used to the small-city atmosphere coming from a big city. Anyway, I loved the small-cityness during the UGA/AU games and I loved the houses that I partied at the night before the games. The campus goes well with trying to get around on school days....I didnt get lost really.

Slink, one of the reasons I like athens so much is the strip of bars there. Its a great atmosphere. Bama's got the same thing, but smaller. They split the bars up...half on the strip and half downtown. But the way they have it at UGA is sweet...and let me say...a LOOOOOOT of fun.

I especially like it Friday night BEFORE the game because you dont have people barkin in your face. You just have people out having a good time.

When it comes to fanbases, especially "sidewalk alumni", neither group likes to admit there really isn't that much of a difference.

Heck, practically every SEC school (Vandy might be the exception) has plenty of embarassing fans. I live in Tallapoosa County. The Auburn to Alabama fan ratio is probably 70% Auburn and 30% Alabama around here, with plenty being alumni of both schools. Any trip to a local Wal-mart or grocery store will give the observer lots of opportunities to see walking punchlines to Auburn/Alabama jokes.

Maybe I should start taking my digital camera and recording that kind of thing for posterity.

Worn out work trucks with four different types of tires proudly displaying their "War Eagle" stickers. A fat mulleted Mom and her sticky brood wearing Auburn sweatclothes. The 50 year old cart man who never even finished high school proudly sporting his crimson hat with a script A. They are all out there. Each side wants to believe that those folks are anomalies, but they are wrong. Late at night, when the visons of these poor and wretched figures dance through your nightmares, reminding you that one doesn't have to pass an exam or enroll in a class to be a fan, just remember...Arkansas :arky: and LSU :lsu: have twice as many weirdos sporting their stuff, and some of them are alumni. :o

Then, there is the Tennessee fan :homer::ut: . A subject best left for another post, another day.

She knows that and was going on their experience :poke:

So what's wrong with that? When I go to Tuscalooser, I see a lot of guys kissing pigs :)

:lol:

I love you guys arguing sometimes. Seriously, as someone not in ya'lls rivalry....the arguments you two have against each other are hilarious to read...yeah, kind of like reading Georgia, GT, and Florida boards

My thoughts on both campuses

Alabama - Been to Bama 3 times....once for UGA game in 2002 and visit friends in 2003 and 2004. I liked it really. I thought the campus was well put together and the city part was nice. I liked most of the buildings and I thought the stadium area was put in the right place AND the circle frat/sorority row thing was cool. Only thing I didnt like was how it was a little tough to get around some of the areas school wise.

Auburn - AU was the FIRST SCHOOL to accept me and the first non-Louisiana school that I visited...did you all know that?--no but now I'm blown away. :P

I didnt like the campus at all the day I visited AU....i guess I just wasnt used to the small-city atmosphere coming from a big city. Anyway, I loved the small-cityness during the UGA/AU games and I loved the houses that I partied at the night before the games. The campus goes well with trying to get around on school days....I didnt get lost really.

Georgia--Been there many times. It's not bad but nothing to writr home about, especailly Athens. It's not in my Top 10 of preferred campuses. The FB stadium is the best setting on campus.

The campus isn't bad at all at uat. The town is a true craphole. It's kinda like someone put a decent looking flower (campus) right in the middle of a pile of crap (tuscaloosa).

Georgia--Been there many times. It's not bad but nothing to writr home about, especailly Athens. It's not in my Top 10 of preferred campuses. The FB stadium is the best setting on campus.

Oh man, what the hell are we going to do then?

:roflol:

Slink, one of the reasons I like athens so much is the strip of bars there. Its a great atmosphere. Bama's got the same thing, but smaller. They split the bars up...half on the strip and half downtown. But the way they have it at UGA is sweet...and let me say...a LOOOOOOT of fun.

I especially like it Friday night BEFORE the game because you dont have people barkin in your face. You just have people out having a good time.

I remember the day I first visited UGA's campus. I drove through the downtown area on a Friday night with all the bars open and girls walking around and turned to my mother and said, "This is where I want to go"

I couldn't have asked personally for a better college social area like downtown Athens.

The reason I was concerned about my car getting keyed is because I was staying in Tuscalooser, at a not very great place AWAY from the campus. There was a sign posted in the parking lot which stated "the management will not be held responsible for any damage to vehicles parked in this parking lot". I drive a nice car with AU stuff on it - and I WAS concerned it could be damaged. I am not saying Alabama people go around destroying cars, I was simply stating I was concerned that it could happen. Alabama does have some FANATICAL fans, you know.

I remember the day I first visited UGA's campus. I drove through the downtown area on a Friday night with all the bars open and girls walking around and turned to my mother and said, "This is where I want to go"

I couldn't have asked personally for a better college social area like downtown Athens.

You were on a Friday-night date with your Mom? :poke:

You know it...we decided to drive 8 hours in the car for the date in Athens from New Orleans. :no:

Stopped for dates in Auburn, Clemson, South Carlina, College of Charelston, and Rhodes in Memphis

You know it...we decided to drive 8 hours in the car for the date in Athens from New Orleans. :no:

Stopped for dates in Auburn, Clemson, South Carlina, College of Charelston, and Rhodes in Memphis

The College of Charleston is a beautiful, compact campus in a great town.

Archived