Mattress company rep tells soldier to "stick it"

Ranger12

Regardless of you stance on Iraq, if you claim to support the troops, you have to agree that what this mattress company did was nothing but total crap. The person who replied to that e-mail can in no way say they support they troops. Kind of sounds like the same crap Vietnam soldiers went through from some people back home.."blame or punish the soldier" for foreign policy.

Link

An American GI assigned to one of the harshest posts in Iraq had a simple request last week for a Wisconsin mattress company: send some floor mats to help ease the hardship of sleeping on the cold, bug-infested ground.

What he got, instead, was a swift kick from the company's Web site, which not only refused the request but added insult to injury with the admonition, "If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq."

Army Sgt. Jason Hess, stationed in Taji, Iraq, with the 1st Cavalry Division, said he emailed his request to Discount-mats.com because he and his fellow soldiers sleep on the cold ground, which contains sand mites, sand flies and other disease carriers.

In his email, dated Jan. 16, 2007, he asked the Web-based company, registered to Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim of Pakistani descent:

"Do you ship to APO (military) addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for ships to APO first."

On the same day, Hess received this reply:

"SGT Hess,

We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers

Discount-Mats.com"

Khetani on Monday told FOX News that the person responsible for the email reply had been fired. The Web site, meanwhile, has been temporarily taken down.

Hess emailed that he has since found two mat suppliers willing to ship to an APO address in Iraq.

Regardless of you stance on Iraq, if you claim to support the troops, you have to agree that what this mattress company did was nothing but total crap. The person who replied to that e-mail can in no way say they support they troops. Kind of sounds like the same crap Vietnam soldiers went through from some people back home.."blame or punish the soldier" for foreign policy.

Link

An American GI assigned to one of the harshest posts in Iraq had a simple request last week for a Wisconsin mattress company: send some floor mats to help ease the hardship of sleeping on the cold, bug-infested ground.

What he got, instead, was a swift kick from the company's Web site, which not only refused the request but added insult to injury with the admonition, "If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq."

Army Sgt. Jason Hess, stationed in Taji, Iraq, with the 1st Cavalry Division, said he emailed his request to Discount-mats.com because he and his fellow soldiers sleep on the cold ground, which contains sand mites, sand flies and other disease carriers.

In his email, dated Jan. 16, 2007, he asked the Web-based company, registered to Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim of Pakistani descent:

"Do you ship to APO (military) addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for ships to APO first."

"SGT Hess,

We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers

Discount-Mats.com"

Khetani on Monday told FOX News that the person responsible for the email reply had been fired. The Web site, meanwhile, has been temporarily taken down.

Hess emailed that he has since found two mat suppliers willing to ship to an APO address in Iraq.

Did this company claim to "support the troops?"

Clearly by their actions -- no. Maybe they'll come out with an actual pro-troops statement later. The firing announcement & taking the website down appears to be some kind of damage control, though. Not enough, IMHO.

Link

"SGT Hess,

Bargain Suppliers

Discount-Mats.com"

First, I never said the company claimed to support the troops, I said if "you" claim to support the troops you have to agree this was total bs. Try reading my post again.

Secondly, IMO, if you live in this country and you can't support our troops regardless of your political views, then you can move the $^&*! out of the country because it is those troops that maintain your right to hold the political views that you do. Without our military, you would be not have the right to be voice your opinion as a liberal or conservative. You may not even have the right to sell those mattresses at as much profit as you do.

First, I never said the company claimed to support the troops, I said if "you" claim to support the troops you have to agree this was total bs. Try reading my post again.

Secondly, IMO, if you live in this country and you can't support our troops regardless of your political views, then you can move the $^&*! out of the country because it is those troops that maintain your right to hold the political views that you do. Without our military, you would be not have the right to be voice your opinion as a liberal or conservative. You may not even have the right to sell those mattresses at as much profit as you do.

Actually, you kinda did:

The person who replied to that e-mail can in no way say they support they troops.

Link

"SGT Hess,

Bargain Suppliers

Discount-Mats.com"

Actually, you kinda did:

The person who replied to that e-mail can in no way say they support they troops.

Actually what he was saying was. If that leftists democrat ever says we support the troops, he/she is full of Shane.

Link

"SGT Hess,

Bargain Suppliers

Discount-Mats.com"

Actually, you kinda did:

Actually what he was saying was. If that leftists democrat ever says we support the troops, he/she is full of Shane.

I don't see where this company claimed to "support the troops." I see where ranger12 seems to have assigned that sentiment to it and then slam them for not only for their alleged assinine response, but, also for their perceived hypocrisy.

And you, in typical fashion, obediently paint anyone who disagrees with you with the broadest brush possible.

Pot meet kettle!

And you as usual are so blinded by the folks at moveon and the DNC, that you have to reflexively disagree with anything and everything anyone who disagrees with you says.

Still waiting on the draft, Al?

Pot meet kettle!

And you as usual are so blinded by the folks at moveon and the DNC, that you have to reflexively disagree with anything and everything anyone who disagrees with you says.

I didn't disagree with anyone. I asked a question. I think you're projecting your own faults onto me.

Guest Tigrinum Major

In answer to your question, Al, I don't know.

Ok, I have a question for you - do you agree or disagree that the person who wrote the email was wrong in their response?

The thing that really worries me is that the person who did so is a voter (or at least has the right to vote) and is so ignorant of the military and foreign policy that they thought an E-5 could just up and redelpoy.

Pot meet kettle!

I didn't disagree with anyone. I asked a question. I think you're projecting your own faults onto me.

Keep on deflecting.

I don't see where this company claimed to "support the troops." I see where ranger12 seems to have assigned that sentiment to it and then slam them for not only for their alleged assinine response, but, also for their perceived hypocrisy.

And you, in typical fashion, obediently paint anyone who disagrees with you with the broadest brush possible.

From Mr. Innocent.

Ok, I have a question for you - do you agree or disagree that the person who wrote the email was wrong in their response?

I think the person's response was very callous and it wouldn't be my response to the soldier's e-mail.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Callous, malicious, misinformed and misguided.

Fair enough?

The company probably knew nothing about it until after the fact and is apparently taking steps to correct the problem.

If nothing else, it was bad business. How many folks will now NOT buy something from this company because of this person's faux pas?

Actually, you kinda did:

Umm.....again...I kinda didn't. You will note that I said the "person" that replied can in no way say they support the troops. There is a reason why I used the word "person" and not the word "company".

Also notice in the title of my topic, I used the term "rep" of a company instead of just saying the company did it. I read the whole article and saw that apparently the company did not take the stance of the employee, thus firing them. Therefore, in my post, you never saw me reference the company as a whole entity when it came to supporting or not supporting the troops.

Attention to detail my friend.

Callous, malicious, misinformed and misguided.

Fair enough?

The company probably knew nothing about it until after the fact and is apparently taking steps to correct the problem.

If nothing else, it was bad business. How many folks will now NOT buy something from this company because of this person's faux pas?

I agree.

What I was trying to get at earlier was businesses that actually DO claim through advertisements to "support the troops." I drill in Mobile and one of the hotels I stayed at, the Red Roof Inn in Tillman's Corner, had posted on their sign, "We Support Our Troops." My first thought was that I could get a discount for being a "troop." I asked if they had a military discount and was told no. I politely asked the manager why not, when they obviously claim to support us.

Another business in Mobile, Trax Tires, on Government Blvd., has the same message posted on their sign. I asked their manager how much his military discount was, since he "supported the troops." He said they didn't have one.

On the other hand, many businesses that claim to support the military actually do give discounts. Mellow Mushroom in Montgomery and Moe's in Mobile give military personnel a 10% discount and Cingular gives a 19% discount on its' services.

So, my question is, exactly how do these other businesses "support" the troops, as they claim? In what way? I'm sorry, but if the sum of their "support" is to offer an empty, feel-good, politically correct slogan, then that is as meaningless to me as a magnet ribbon on a car.

Umm.....again...I kinda didn't. You will note that I said the "person" that replied can in no way say they support the troops. There is a reason why I used the word "person" and not the word "company".

Also notice in the title of my topic, I used the term "rep" of a company instead of just saying the company did it. I read the whole article and saw that apparently the company did not take the stance of the employee, thus firing them. Therefore, in my post, you never saw me reference the company as a whole entity when it came to supporting or not supporting the troops.

Attention to detail my friend.

Umm.....again.....you kinda did. You said, "Regardless of you stance on Iraq, if you claim to support the troops, you have to agree that what this mattress company did was nothing but total crap." Are you now saying that the company's firing of the employee was total crap? I didn't think you were, either.

I read the whole article, too, and it never uses the word "rep" in talking about the company. It says the offender was the web site. "Web Site Kicks Sand in Faces of GIs" and "...swift kick from the company's Web site." And the web site would be who??? The "rep?" Not likely. The web site is the company. It was you who introduced the idea of a "rep" being responsible, aside from the line at the end of the article which seems to be more of an afterthought than anything else. The term "rep(resentative)" doesn't seperate the person from the company. In fact, it does the opposite. The person IS the company.

But, as TigMaj pointed out, the company fired the employee (hopefully for poor customer relations skills and not for not "supporting the troops"), their website's down and they will probably go out of business.

However, when I saw the owner of the company's name and description, Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim, and the source, FoxNews, I suspected there was more going on here than just a soldier being yanked around.

TA, what part of my post do you not understand? I tried to clarify and pointed out to you in two different places that my post was towards the individual and not the company, but instead you point out one spot where I failed to put the proper "wording" in and you totally turn it into something else. So what? I mistyped one part of my post that did not make sense to two other parts of my post and thus I tried to clarify that part. Apparently that is good enough for you and you would rather basically accuse me of being a liar and tell me what my intentions must have been.

If I meant to blame the company as a whole, I would not be debating that point with you right now. I would have just said "yeah, TA, I am blaming the company" or something like that. It is not like I have stock in the company and have any interest in defending them or not. Like it was said, it seems like sometimes you just want to find something to disagree with me about.

You ask where does it say the company or individual said the support the troops? Usually it is a given that if you live in this country, you support the troops and do not have to announce that. When is the last time you heard somebody say they do not support the troops? I would bet you anything that the person who sent that e-mail would tell you that he/she supports the troops, but their actions show that they don't give a rat's ass about the troops. In case you have not noticed, there are several lin Washington that are acting exactly like that right now..."Oh, we support the troops, but because we don't like what Bush is doing in Iraq, we are going to pull the rug out from under the troops and cut their funding".

I think, in summation: when you really dont have a thing to say, just keep asking petty questions and you can burn a whole server up and have effectively said nothing.

There, that was today's lesson.

I think, in summation: when you really dont have a thing to say, just keep asking petty questions and you can burn a whole server up and have effectively said nothing.

There, that was today's lesson.

And that is REALLY what you are the absolute king of!

Archived