With all the talk of Pork...

MDM4AU

here is an article from last year prior to the elections.

Pork for Dems re-elections

I for one don't like all the pork that comes out of Washington, regardless of which side of the aisle it comes from! If a project needs the funds and the project is legitimate, that is one thing. But as a Conservative, there needs to be more responsibility here.

But it seems today that the Libs want to act as though it is just the Republicans in Congress that do this. None of those crying the most on here mentions the fact that Dems have benefitted from the projects recently as well or that many of the projects receive BIPARTISAN support.

Now we can argue about this until the cows come home but it is more of a "my girls friend isn't as ugly as yours" kind of thing.

It's got to be reigned in, but to try and spin and blame one party is more like worrying about the spec in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in your own.

BUMP!

There are a few on here that continue to post about Pork and such so I thought I would just bump this up to be seen again. I feel they have either not read it or just plain ole refuse to acknowledge.

Sorry to those looking for a real reply here!

I have been waiting patiently to see the resident libs response to this. Nothing but silence, which is what usually happens on here when they are confronted with facts that rebuke their propaganda from the democratic underground.

I have been waiting patiently to see the resident libs response to this. Nothing but silence, which is what usually happens on here when they are confronted with facts that rebuke their propaganda from the democratic underground.

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. Another way is that when I started this post, the thread had been viewed 29 times and had 3 posts, 2 of which were from the author, MDM, and the other one from you. Doesn't seem like it's a very sexy topic no matter your political affinity!!!

I was reading in the paper the other day about how money for this project or that one in Alabama was being held up in Washington. One that was being held up was funding for the Riverwalk project in Montgomery. Considering how all of our elected officials in Washington are republican except two in the House, seems to me that both parties are equally guilty of trying to get funds for pet projects at home.

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. Another way is that when I started this post, the thread had been viewed 29 times and had 3 posts, 2 of which were from the author, MDM, and the other one from you. Doesn't seem like it's a very sexy topic no matter your political affinity!!!

I was reading in the paper the other day about how money for this project or that one in Alabama was being held up in Washington. One that was being held up was funding for the Riverwalk project in Montgomery. Considering how all of our elected officials in Washington are republican except two in the House, seems to me that both parties are equally guilty of trying to get funds for pet projects at home.

I'm sorry you couldn't read my handwriting.

Here it is typed out for you, AL...

I for one don't like all the pork that comes out of Washington, regardless of which side of the aisle it comes from! If a project needs the funds and the project is legitimate, that is one thing. But as a Conservative, there needs to be more responsibility here.

But it seems today that the Libs want to act as though it is just the Republicans in Congress that do this. None of those crying the most on here mentions the fact that Dems have benefitted from the projects recently as well or that many of the projects receive BIPARTISAN support.

Now we can argue about this until the cows come home but it is more of a "my girlfriend isn't as ugly as yours" kind of thing.

It's got to be reigned in, but to try and spin and blame one party is more like worrying about the spec in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in your own.

My point being that both sides are equally guilty regarding PORK, yet some wish to insist that it is only Republicans. You only proved my point.

BTW, you were not necessarily the one at which this was originally aimed yet your response makes me reconsider.

I'm sorry you couldn't read my handwriting.

Here it is typed out for you, AL...

Now we can argue about this until the cows come home but it is more of a "my girlfriend isn't as ugly as yours" kind of thing.

My point being that both sides are equally guilty regarding PORK, yet some wish to insist that it is only Republicans. You only proved my point.

BTW, you were not necessarily the one at which this was originally aimed yet your response makes me reconsider.

And I was replying to Tiger in Spain, not you.

MDM4AU, I've never said it was limited to one party, but one man has final say over the budget and that's George W. Bush. In a time when our nation is swimming in red ink, it would be simple to follow through on a campaign pledge of the Republican's Contract With America and simply tell the Congress to go back and eliminate all but the essential budget items. I understand that there is pork aimed at Democratic districts as well as Republican districts, but if you're going to have tax cuts, at some point and time you're going to have to curtail spending. Our estimated budget deficit for the next fiscal year is a half trillion dollars!! Someone is going to have to pay that and I don't see giving billions of dollars in gifts wrapped in legitimate legislation just as political payback to campaign donors. We simply can't afford it.

MDM4AU, I've never said it was limited to one party, but one man has final say over the budget and that's George W. Bush. In a time when our nation is swimming in red ink, it would be simple to follow through on a campaign pledge of the Republican's Contract With America and simply tell the Congress to go back and eliminate all but the essential budget items. I understand that there is pork aimed at Democratic districts as well as Republican districts, but if you're going to have tax cuts, at some point and time you're going to have to curtail spending. Our estimated budget deficit for the next fiscal year is a half trillion dollars!! Someone is going to have to pay that and I don't see giving billions of dollars in gifts wrapped in legitimate legislation just as political payback to campaign donors. We simply can't afford it.

Fair enough, but I ask you to look back at some of your posts and the accusations you make does nothing but point a finger at the "Republican Controlled Congress." Almost all of your posts seem to insinuate that it is solely a "Republican" phenomenon. That is spin.

Fair enough, but I ask you to look back at some of your posts and the accusations you make does nothing but point a finger at the "Republican Controlled Congress." Almost all of your posts seem to incinuate that it is solely a "Republican" phenomenon. That is spin.

As the majority, they are the ones who ultimately are responsible for the budget and all the pork that's in it. Just for a quick reference, who did the Republicans blame the Reagan-Bush deficits on? The Democratically controlled Congress. Fair enough?

DB:

Did you read the article? As of the last election, before the Republicans took over, dems were doing this. This is my point. Both sides, regardless of majority or minority, are doing it and getting BIPARTISAN support. They are all working together on this. I know it is hard for you to acknowledge that Dems do anything wrong. But they are guilty, as well. It's called politics, my friend.It has gone on for as long as there has been a congress.

You point out who blamed whom 20 years ago but that has nothing to do with this post. To make the insinuations you continue to make are ludicrous.

Al, I was one of the first to admit that pork is a vote buying tactic used by BOTH parties. Proof

What we, the conservatives of the board, jumped on was Donut's assertion that pork barrel politics is a tactic used exclusively by the evil republican's to thwart the democrats gallant attempts to fight for the little guys of the country.

Al, I was one of the first to admit that pork is a vote buying tactic used by BOTH parties. Proof

What we, the conservatives of the board, jumped on was Donut's assertion that pork barrel politics is a tactic used exclusively by the evil republican's to thwart the democrats gallant attempts to fight for the little guys of the country.

But, see TIS, the difference is, the pork projects WE try to fund are actually worthy projects. YOURS...are not!!! :D

Just kidding with ya!!! I know what you're talking about.

Archived