Early look at K-State

rebdawg

They have a stud DE named Ian Campbell (6‘4“, 240) who will be a junior this year. He lead the Wildcat D and the entire Big 12 in tackles for a loss (17.5) and a forced fumble. Campbell tallied eight tackles and three sacks in last year’s season opener. He was named a Hendricks Award Semifinalist Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year (Houston Chronicle), First-Team All Big 12 (KC Star; Coaches; AP; Houston Chronicle; S.A. Express-News; Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Waco Tribune-Herald), Second-Team All Big 12 (Rivals.com), First-Team Sophomore All-America (CollegeFootballNews.com), and Honorable Mention All-America (SI.com). In fact, the defense as a whole was especially good in takeaways averaging just over two a game including ten interceptions. Three were by S Marcus Watts (6’2” 190) and two by CB Byron Garvin (Miramar High School Pace, FL ) who also returned a fumble for a TD. Watts was named Second-Team All-Big 12 (KC Star; Coaches) and ESPN All-Mayday Team. Both will be seniors.

Offensively they were not consistent but they used a lot of youth. They started four different tailbacks with the leading rusher bring Freshman Leon Patton. Patton is just 5’8” but averaged 5.6 yards a carry and 50.8 yards a game. Patton was named Honorable Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches; AP), All-Big 12 Freshman Team (The Sporting News), Honorable Mention Freshman All-America (TSN; College Football News).

Another frosh starter was QB Josh Freeman (6-6, 240) who took the helm of the offense in game seven from senior Dylan Meier and started every game after that. He was the hero of the 31-27 comeback over Oklahoma State (winner’s of the Independence Bowl) when he ran 21 yards for the game winning TD. Freeman completed 51.9% of his passes for 1780 and six touchdowns vs. 15 interceptions. Freeman was a Sporting News Honorable Mention Freshman All-America.

Leading receiver Jordy Nelson is a big target at 6’3” 210 pounds. Nelson had 547 yards receiving on 39 receptions but only one TD. Nelson was named to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List and a Second-Team All-Big 12 (KC Star).

Special teams is where the Wildcats made their mark. CB Justin McKinney lead the team with 267 return yards averaging 26.7 yards per kick return with a long of 88 yards and a TD. He returns for his senior season. Patton averaged 32 yards a return with a long of 95 yards and a touchdown of his own. Running back James Johnson also had a kick-off return for a TD and averaged 52.5 yards per return. He, too, will be a senior this year.

Punt returns were really the onus of wide receiver Yamon Figures who averaged 12.2 yards a return with 2 TD’s including one against Rutgers in the Texas Bowl. Figures was a senior as was Jeff Snodgrass the place kicker who connected on 16-23 field goals with a long of 53. He was named an All-Big 12 Honorable Mention for his senior campaign. In all the wildcats scored seven special teams touchdowns and blocked three blocked kicks.

Kansas State is coached by second year head man Ron Prince. They averaged 22.8 points a game on offense while giving up 23.8. They gave up 1932 yards a game on the ground and 2561 through the air while the offense gained 1497 on the ground and 2601 passing. Rivals ranks their 2007 recruiting class 41st in the nation. Right between Louisville and Texas A&M. The highlight of their season was 45-42 win over defending National Champion Texas at Bill Snyder Stadium. They finished 7-6 last year after being picked to finish in the cellar of the Big 12 North and played in the inaugural Texas Bowl against Rutgers. It was K-state’s 12th bowl game in the last 14 years. They are 0-2 all time against the mighty Tigers of Auburn, AL.

Washington State Part II

Maybe, maybe not. I'm actually looking forward to this game, it is nice to see Auburn playing teams OOC they normally don't play, ie La Tech.

Im sure we will beat them but I dont understand why some of our first games of the seasons are agains teams like GA Tech and now K State. Why not play some smaller teams that are a sure win to kind of get our feet wet. This way we CTT would be able to find out what areas need work and what not. Just my 2 cents.

They have a stud DE named Ian Campbell (6‘4“, 240) who will be a junior this year. He lead the Wildcat D and the entire Big 12 in tackles for a loss (17.5) and a forced fumble. Campbell tallied eight tackles and three sacks in last year’s season opener. He was named a Hendricks Award Semifinalist Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year (Houston Chronicle), First-Team All Big 12 (KC Star; Coaches; AP; Houston Chronicle; S.A. Express-News; Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Waco Tribune-Herald), Second-Team All Big 12 (Rivals.com), First-Team Sophomore All-America (CollegeFootballNews.com), and Honorable Mention All-America (SI.com). In fact, the defense as a whole was especially good in takeaways averaging just over two a game including ten interceptions. Three were by S Marcus Watts (6’2†190) and two by CB Byron Garvin (Miramar High School Pace, FL ) who also returned a fumble for a TD. Watts was named Second-Team All-Big 12 (KC Star; Coaches) and ESPN All-Mayday Team. Both will be seniors.

Offensively they were not consistent but they used a lot of youth. They started four different tailbacks with the leading rusher bring Freshman Leon Patton. Patton is just 5’8†but averaged 5.6 yards a carry and 50.8 yards a game. Patton was named Honorable Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches; AP), All-Big 12 Freshman Team (The Sporting News), Honorable Mention Freshman All-America (TSN; College Football News).

Another frosh starter was QB Josh Freeman (6-6, 240) who took the helm of the offense in game seven from senior Dylan Meier and started every game after that. He was the hero of the 31-27 comeback over Oklahoma State (winner’s of the Independence Bowl) when he ran 21 yards for the game winning TD. Freeman completed 51.9% of his passes for 1780 and six touchdowns vs. 15 interceptions. Freeman was a Sporting News Honorable Mention Freshman All-America.

Leading receiver Jordy Nelson is a big target at 6’3†210 pounds. Nelson had 547 yards receiving on 39 receptions but only one TD. Nelson was named to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List and a Second-Team All-Big 12 (KC Star).

Special teams is where the Wildcats made their mark. CB Justin McKinney lead the team with 267 return yards averaging 26.7 yards per kick return with a long of 88 yards and a TD. He returns for his senior season. Patton averaged 32 yards a return with a long of 95 yards and a touchdown of his own. Running back James Johnson also had a kick-off return for a TD and averaged 52.5 yards per return. He, too, will be a senior this year.

Punt returns were really the onus of wide receiver Yamon Figures who averaged 12.2 yards a return with 2 TD’s including one against Rutgers in the Texas Bowl. Figures was a senior as was Jeff Snodgrass the place kicker who connected on 16-23 field goals with a long of 53. He was named an All-Big 12 Honorable Mention for his senior campaign. In all the wildcats scored seven special teams touchdowns and blocked three blocked kicks.

Kansas State is coached by second year head man Ron Prince. They averaged 22.8 points a game on offense while giving up 23.8. They gave up 1932 yards a game on the ground and 2561 through the air while the offense gained 1497 on the ground and 2601 passing. Rivals ranks their 2007 recruiting class 41st in the nation. Right between Louisville and Texas A&M. The highlight of their season was 45-42 win over defending National Champion Texas at Bill Snyder Stadium. They finished 7-6 last year after being picked to finish in the cellar of the Big 12 North and played in the inaugural Texas Bowl against Rutgers. It was K-state’s 12th bowl game in the last 14 years. They are 0-2 all time against the mighty Tigers of Auburn, AL.

Good Lord, Were the scores of their games 567- 545? :poke: I kid, but I believe this will be a true test for our offensive line as well as our new WR's.

Im sure we will beat them but I dont understand why some of our first games of the seasons are agains teams like GA Tech and now K State. Why not play some smaller teams that are a sure win to kind of get our feet wet. This way we CTT would be able to find out what areas need work and what not. Just my 2 cents.

I think that same way, Kinda......You have your Pros and Cons, either way you look at it.

Pros of AU playing against Good to Great teams for the first game of the season; A Win (ie Washington State) will propel the team and give them a huge boost of confidence and at the same time the coaches will be able find out what areas need work and they can judge how good their team will be.

Cons of AU playing against Good to Great teams for the first game of the season; A Loss (ie USC twice and GT) will do the exact opposite of the Pro, even how they judge how good their will be.

Pros of AU playing against Horrible to Average teams for the first game of the season; A Win (ie La Tech) will somewhat falsely give the team a boost of confidence and at the same time it will be hard for the coaches to find out what areas need the work because the team that they played was so.......Bad. But hey, a win's a win.

Cons of AU playing against Horrible to Average teams for the first game of the season; A Loss (ie ?) will Destroy the teams' confidence that they might not get back until the end of the season, and it'll do the exact same thing as the Pro, except for the W.

So, listing the Pros and Cons of both, I'd rather play against good to great teams.

I am looking forward to the game as well. I won't say 40-14, but I'd guess AU by 10 if the game had been played last season. I think Coach Prince did a heck of a job in year 1, especially beating Texas. Should be a hard fought game when the men in purple come to the Plains.

I know what you are talking about with the Campbell kid, Rebdawg. I saw him causing chaos against Louisville when they played last year. About the only bright spot for them that game, probably. Hopefully he doesn't get back there to Cox. B)

Archived