Bama coaches - Bonus $$ for 4 and 5 ***** recruits

Tigermike

Could there be any truth to this?

Tennstud

Posted on 3/7/2007 12:28 PM

Bonus $$ for 4 and 5 ***** recruits at Alabama??

If, and I will repeat, IF, what I was told this morning by a close friend of a coach in the NFL, Kacy Rodgers, then the U of Alabama will have a GREAT recruiting year next year. And, with Nick Saban, they were bound to, anyway. But, allegedly, in attempting to employ Kacy Rodgers as a dl coach at Alabama he was offered $325,000, more than he was making in the NFL. BUT, as part of the incentive package, he, and I assume others, were offered bonus $$$ for signing 4 and 5***** recruits. Kacy was offered, according to his friend,a $10,000 bonus for recruiting and signing a 5***** recruit and $8,000 for recruiting and signing a 4**** recruit.

Since we know, according to Logan Young quoting his long time close personal friend, Paul "Bear" Bryant, "Most coaches are so dumb and lazy that if they were out in the real world they couldn't earn the minimum wage" this is a sure incentive for coaches to work on recruiting!

Is this legal and ethical in the NCAA world of rules? The pay would have to come from some slush fund, which, if history is a guide, Alabama has some experience. There's NO way this could be kept quiet, if true!

I was told this by a close friend of Kacy so accept at your own risk!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=7#S=7&F...08116&FIX=1

So much for coaches not looking at the recruiting rankings.

Which brings up the question, will the bonus's be paid on ***** rankings before or after they commit to Bama?

If it is true, it would be cheaper than what was paid in Memphis for Albert. And since it would be considered a performance based incentive for the coaches, it may not be against the NCAA rules. But I could see the HS coaches wondering why they are not getting a piece of the pie.

I'm all for it. I think this will do more harm to their program than good. The assistants will be concentrating more on stars than anything else. Good job Bammer.

If true, then who is to regulate stars? Rivals? Scout? Who is in place to make sure that the head of Rivals isn't getting a cut from Bama boy's $10k bonus for bumping a fat DL up to a 5 star?

I don't buy it.

You guys totally missed this one:

5 Star Recruit: "So, I see you get $10K for my signature. I want $8k or you dont get it."

I think the :sec: will need the NCAA on speed dial before CNS takes his next job. :yes:

5 Star Recruit: "So, I see you get $10K for my signature. I want $8k or you dont get it."

I think the :sec: will need the NCAA on speed dial before CNS takes his next job. :yes:

That's exactly what I thought.

I didn't think about that....

I can't wait to hear the bammer spin on this.

This is merely a rumor designed with the intent to hurt Saban's awesome recruiting abilities.

I hope it is true, though. If it is true, it will kill UAT's recruiting.

This is basically the equivalent of putting a large sales commission on recruits. Do HR Depts in the business world work like this? Do HR Reps that pull in some hot-shot exec. get an extra check at the end of the year?

This is merely a rumor designed with the intent to hurt Saban's awesome recruiting abilities.

I hope it is true, though. If it is true, it will kill UAT's recruiting.

This is basically the equivalent of putting a large sales commission on recruits. Do HR Depts in the business world work like this? Do HR Reps that pull in some hot-shot exec. get an extra check at the end of the year?

My thoughts exactly. If you do something like this in sales it makes you look desperate, and needy. Oh wait, bama is desperate and needy. :roflol:

Do HR Depts in the business world work like this? Do HR Reps that pull in some hot-shot exec. get an extra check at the end of the year?

The HR guy doesn't but the headhunter does. Anyway you cut it, it is one step away from brokering services which I thought UAT already found out is a bad way to go. Especially for DL.

So this is like a bird-dog fee then? Is that what we are saying?

Man, a bird-dog fee on someone's son. That cant look good from a distance...

I don't think the NCAA would have a problem with coaches getting incentive money...but I agree it opens a whole new can of worms, or temptations, when "bounty" money is poured into recruiting. I also suspect it would be determental in the long run: They could end up losing/pi##ing off a lot of 2-3 * talent , which may be the backbone of a team in terms of depth, if they focus exclusively on 4-5* "superstars". ...don't think it would be very good for team morale or team unity either.

However, until I see more confirmation I'll keep this in the "unconfirmed rumor" file. Tennstud gets a good inside information sometimes, but he's also full of BS sometimes. If true, however, it shouldn't be hard to confirm once recruiting season hits its peak. Presumably, since UAT is a state institution, any form of compensation to coaches would have to be a matter of public record. Also, while paying such incentives may not break any NCAA rules, I imagine it would violate NCAA regs to not report any source of coaches' money. So we should know for sure soon enough, providing things are done by the book.

[Yeah, I know "Bama...by the book" is something of an oxymoron. <_< ]

Guest Tigrinum Major

Is it true that Kevin Steele has grown his hair long, put a few seashells in it, married a big breasted blonde chick, moved to Hawaii, picked up a nasty nicotine habit, started a business with some scruffy looking relatives and changed his name to "DOG"?

Is it true that Kevin Steele has grown his hair long, put a few seashells in it, married a big breasted blonde chick, moved to Hawaii, picked up a nasty nicotine habit, started a business with some scruffy looking relatives and changed his name to "DOG"?

No, that's Shula's new job......

If true, this smacks of slave trade. Rival recruiters will have a field day with this and rightly so (if true).

G2, dont worry about being true. Evidently he did this at LSU too. I have too many confirming it now as well.

Publicly stated by ex-SEC players who are involved with recruiting. I would give this a 99-100%. The main guy is an ex- :au: player and very well known. Most he says is taken at face value to be correct. So far no one that knows him has challenged this.

Archived