Should have used the Tallahatchee Bridge

Bridge jumper found alive 5 miles away

Friday, March 30, 2007

By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A New Brighton woman who jumped Wednesday night from the West End Bridge was found alive on Neville Island the next morning, police said.

Nicole Kraus, 22, walked onto Neville Island at 8:22 a.m. yesterday, about 13 hours after a witness saw her preparing to jump from the West End Bridge.

She was helped by a man who was working there near the Emsworth Lock and Dam, and she complained of being cold and having pain in her back, Neville police Chief Norbert Micklos said.

She also suffered scrapes to her legs and back, and her skin was discolored, the chief said.

"I think it's pretty amazing," Chief Micklos said. "From the West End Bridge to the back channel where the lock and dams meet, I'd say it has to be every bit of five miles," he said, wondering aloud how she survived two hours in the frigid waters.

The river temperature Wednesday night was 41 degrees and the water current was moving at about 2.5 mph, the National Weather Service reported.

Ms. Kraus was confused when interviewed by police. She told them she believed she had jumped from the McKees Rocks Bridge.

She also told police that she was depressed.

"She's got some problems and needs to get some help," Chief Micklos said.

Ms. Kraus was taken to Allegheny General Hospital.

Link

So what did Billie Joe McAllister throw off the Tallahatchee Bridge with the girl? My theory was always that it was a baby that Billie Joe and the narrator kept secret and the guilt associated with the act led Billie Joe to commit suicide.

Any other theories?

Archived