"CBS Evening News" last week recorded its smallest audience maybe ever.

DKW 86

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

Nielsens: Real Bad Week for Katie Couric

May 8 04:57 PM US/Eastern

By DAVID BAUDER

AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - It surely wasn't what CBS dreamed about when Katie Couric was hired: the "CBS Evening News" last week recorded its smallest audience since and probably many years before that.

It also didn't help that the average of 6.05 million viewers came at the beginning of the important May ratings "sweeps."

Meanwhile, ABC's "World News" recorded its widest advantage in viewership over NBC's "Nightly News" since the week Peter Jennings died in August 2005. The victory, ABC's ninth in 13 weeks over NBC, adds to the sense that Charles Gibson is eclipsing Brian Williams as the nation's favorite network news anchor.

"World News" averaged 8.1 million viewers last week (5.7 rating, 12 share). NBC's "Nightly News" had 7.5 million viewers, its fourth- lowest figure since at least 1987 (5.3, 12), and CBS had a 4.3 rating and 9 share. The year 1987 is a benchmark because that's when Nielsen began using its "people meter" technology.

Those are worrisome numbers for networks heading forward, since news viewership normally drops off in the summer. Major news events, of course, could dramatically change things.

In prime time, Fox found itself in an unusual position while "American Idol" is airing—third place in viewership. CBS won, while ABC recorded its best non-Oscar week since last fall, helped by the two- hour "Grey's Anatomy" special last Thursday.

CBS averaged 11.2 million viewers in prime time (7.3 rating, 12 share), while ABC had 10.7 million (7.0, 12). Fox averaged 10.1 million (6.1, 10), but won among the 18-to-49-year-old viewers it considers most important. NBC had 7.5 million viewers (4.9, 8), the CW had 3.1 million (2.0, 3), My Network TV had 880,000 (0.6, 1) and ION Television had 560,000 (0.4, 1).

Among the Spanish-language networks, Univision led with 3.6 million viewers (2.0, 3), Telemundo had 940,000 (0.5, 1), TeleFutura had 590,000 (0.3, 1) and Azteca had 90,000 (0.1, 0).

A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 111.4 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

Perhaps having the "Happy Talk Half-Hour" with Katie Twinkie fall flat on its ass will demonstrate to the network executives that we want real news, not infotainment or opinion pieces. Tell me the news; I can make up my own mind as to what effect it will have on my life. I sure don't need some overpaid, out of touch, airheaded bimbo telling me. I want news. I don't want to be told what to think or to be indoctrinated into some cult religion.

Is reporting the news such a difficult concept?

What an expensive lesson for a network to have to learn. Just think of all the Katrina victims that money could have been better spent helping !!

So in a sweeps month CBS was swept. I guess it's safe to say Katie isn't Americas Idol.

The broader implication is to the liberal left, for which this chipmunk was a flag bearer. They're not the majority, they're just the loudest. Big difference. When (if) the majority ever wakes up and quits listening to these twits and starts voting instead of conceding defeat and roiling in despair because of what the media and polls say, there will be an epochal change in direction. I hope it's coming.

So in a sweeps month CBS was swept. I guess it's safe to say Katie isn't Americas Idol.

The broader implication is to the liberal left, for which this chipmunk was a flag bearer. They're not the majority, they're just the loudest. Big difference. When (if) the majority ever wakes up and quits listening to these twits and starts voting instead of conceding defeat and roiling in despair because of what the media and polls say, there will be an epochal change in direction. I hope it's coming.

You're funny. Liberals can't stand Couric. She's just incompetent.

I think the problem isn't ideological. It has more to do with the "CuteNews" philosophy that had apparently infected CBS, formerly a respectable news organization. Couric was just the most visible symbol.

I think the problem isn't ideological. It has more to do with the "CuteNews" philosophy that had apparently infected CBS, formerly a respectable news organization. Couric was just the most visible symbol.

The only more incompetent person at CBS is the idiot who hired her for $15 million a year.

The only more incompetent person at CBS is the idiot who hired her for $15 million a year.

Well, you'd think the guy would have taken the temperature around the organization. Say what you will about CBS, but they have some really distinguished people on their staff, and they practically had open revolt when Couric was hired. Basically, it downgraded the entire reporting to the level of a decent local newscast.

Yeah, walk away from her now after years of sucking her toes. That's the politcally savvy move.

EVERYBODY knows she's a screaming liberal shill. She's Rosie O'Donnell with a worse grill and pepper-spray eyes. Rationalize it any way you want, but the rejection of Couric is a rejection of liberal ideology.

What's funny, is all these networks are so freaking impatient. They nuke good shows like "How I Met Your Mother", "Studio 60", and "The Class"...because if it isn't an overnight competition for Idol, they don't want it.

But it turns out, these execs are COMPLETELY out of touch with the individual viewers. They can blame it on DVRs or daylight savings time. But at the end of the day, the programming is just ass.

I'm especially upset with CBS because two of the afforementioned three shows belong to CBS. And they are talking about not picking them up in the fall...but they also made the worst move in TV history when they cancelled "Love Monkey", which could have been a show that would be beyond kick ass.

What's funny, is all these networks are so freaking impatient. They nuke good shows like "How I Met Your Mother", "Studio 60", and "The Class"...because if it isn't an overnight competition for Idol, they don't want it.

But it turns out, these execs are COMPLETELY out of touch with the individual viewers. They can blame it on DVRs or daylight savings time. But at the end of the day, the programming is just ass.

I'm especially upset with CBS because two of the afforementioned three shows belong to CBS. And they are talking about not picking them up in the fall...but they also made the worst move in TV history when they cancelled "Love Monkey", which could have been a show that would be beyond kick ass.

Fox made the worst move in TV history when it passed on The Sopranos. Although, actually, that may have been the best move in TV history because it forced the show to HBO where it was allowed to blossom creatively. Network TV would have drained it of all the things that make it compelling.

Fox made the worst move in TV history when it passed on The Sopranos. Although, actually, that may have been the best move in TV history because it forced the show to HBO where it was allowed to blossom creatively. Network TV would have drained it of all the things that make it compelling.

I agree The Sopranos would hardly be worth watching on network TV.

You watch it on A&E? It's not quite the same.

You watch it on A&E? It's not quite the same.

I tried twice.

Yeah, walk away from her now after years of sucking her toes. That's the politcally savvy move.

EVERYBODY knows she's a screaming liberal shill. She's Rosie O'Donnell with a worse grill and pepper-spray eyes. Rationalize it any way you want, but the rejection of Couric is a rejection of liberal ideology.

Never liked her. You live in the land of assumption. Hard facts would be...just too hard for you to deal with.

The Republicans just lost the House, the Senate, Bush is in record low approval territory and you see the failure of a very bad non-journalist former cheerleader morning show person in a job requiring a certain level of gravitas to be a clear rejection of liberal ideology. BTW, her numbers have dropped from where Bob Schieffer's numbers were-- and he admits his two favorite Presidents were Clinton and LBJ. Anyhow, I guess that makes Charlie Gibson the next Ronald Reagan, since he's doing so well.

I'm amazed how such an obviously intelligent guy can say such informed, stupid things sometimes.

Never liked her. You live in the land of assumption. Hard facts would be...just too hard for you to deal with.

I'm amazed how such an obviously intelligent guy can say such informed, stupid things sometimes.

Couric is right there with Streisand, Baldwin and the rest of those hacks. YOU may not have liked her, but she was definitely one of yours. She's as far from republican or conservative as you can get. She's also an airhead.

Just because what I think doesn't fit with your world view doesn't make it "stupid." That's a very liberal left thing to say. Sounds like something that bag of turds Michael Moore would say. Christianity, heterosexuality, honor, duty, country, faith, family.... all "stupid".

Just because what I think doesn't fit with your world view doesn't make it "stupid." That's a very liberal left thing to say. Sounds like something that bag of turds Michael Moore would say. Christianity, heterosexuality, honor, duty, country, faith, family.... all "stupid".

Actually, I have no problem with any of those things. My problem is with the illogical, baseless crap you just spewed. There you go assuming again and putting words in my mouth. Join the world of factual reality, leave your fantasy bubble.

Actually, I have no problem with any of those things. My problem is with the illogical, baseless crap you just spewed. There you go assuming again and putting words in my mouth. Join the world of factual reality, leave your fantasy bubble.

I didn't put words in your mouth. I was just making a comparison.

Michael Moore is in constant attack mode. Unless you agree with whatever ridiculous position he supports, you're degraded as ignorant, backward, stupid or regressive. I have a problem with that. Attitudes like his obstruct honest discussion.

When you dismissed my opinion as stupid you at least peeked down the same path that Moore tramples. Anything else you inferred was unintentional.

Archived