Profiles in courage

Tigermike

On Tuesday, Senators brought their PJs, blankets and teddy bears to the U.S. Capitol Building for an all-night “debate” on the future of the war in Iraq. Despite Democrats’ best efforts to win one for our enemies, the troop-withdrawal amendment was defeated 52-47 (it needed 60 votes). Harry Reid (D-Searchlight) says he will not pursue any more measures to withdraw troops... for now. Furthermore, when given the opportunity to propose an alternate strategy for victory, Democrats responded with nary an idea. No wonder the latest Zogby poll has Congress’ approval rating at 14 percent.

Some Democrats remain defiant, however. “I think we accomplished what we wanted to,” said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) proudly. “We wanted to show the people who sent us and really gave us the reins of power in the Senate that we are willing to stay up through the night, work through the night to start bringing this war to a close and changing the mission of our troops.” Obviously, Boxer was so tired from staying up all night (which, apparently she thinks she was elected to do), that she didn’t realize the night was a total failure for her party.

But wait—Boxer didn’t stay up all night. “Yes, it is true that Harry [Reid] was going to have a vote every three hours, and some of the women senators appointed me... to go... beg to have about four and a half or five. But I slept in my office right down from here... curled up on my little couch. So I did get about four hours...ut here’s the deal: We were up all night.”

Archived