Take Two

WAR EAGLE!!!

NFL Suspends Vick

NFL suspends Vick after dog-fighting charges

Reuters

Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 Article tools

ATLANTA (Reuters) - The National Football League ordered star quarterback Michael Vick on Monday not to report to training camp with his Atlanta Falcons after he was indicted on dog-fighting charges.

Vick, 27, will receive full pay during the suspension, pending the league's own review of the indictment, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in an announcement.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility ... to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies," Goodell said in a letter to Vick.

Goodell told Vick the review would be completed as soon as possible and that his full cooperation was expected.

The Falcons open camp on Thursday, the same day Vick is scheduled to be arraigned in Richmond, Virginia, on charges he and three other men operated an illegal dog-fighting ring.

Vick, a three-time Pro Bowl selection with breakaway running speed and a powerful passing arm who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, was indicted last week by a federal grand jury.

He has denied direct involvement in the pit bull fights that the indictment said took place on property he owns in Virginia.

Vick faces up to six years in jail and $350,000 in fines if convicted on all of the charges.

The indictment said dogs sometimes fought to the death on Vick's property and some losers had been put to death by drowning, hanging, gunshots and electrocution. It also charged that Vick and his associates shot dogs that did not pass muster after tests of their fighting ability.

Since the indictment, the NFL and the Falcons have been under pressure to take disciplinary action against Vick, one of the league's most high-profile players.

The Falcons have called a news conference for Tuesday at owner Arthur Blank's offices in Atlanta.

Goodell asked the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action the team might have planned until the NFL's review of whether Vick violated the league's personal conduct policy or other rules.

Since last week's federal indictment, Vick's new Nike shoe line has been put on hold and animal rights activists from the PETA group have demonstrated outside NFL headquarters in New York and at Falcons' headquarters in Georgia.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So these guys should be punished in July...before we even know what the findings of the legal system are? You don't know if they are going to be suspended or not. It's JULY.

You guys are funny.

Thankfully, Michael Vick's bosses do not share your viewpoint.............

What viewpoint? Did I miss something? Have they announced a suspension for any games that Vick might play in?

He was directed not to show up for preseason camp this week. Since he was supposed to be the starting QB, most analysts think this will cause him to miss the first 1/4 of the season (at a minimum). It wasn't a suspension in verbage, but it certainly was in action.

edit: thanks supperclub - saw your post right after I posted my reply.

It's july so YOU DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE SUSPENDED. We don't play a game this weekend, so you don't know.

Did I say that???
says Coach Saban when pressed if there are gonna be suspensions.

I don't think Shula was stern enough on discipline. But I had no problem with him no announcing to the world what the punishments were. IT'S NONE OF YOUR GOSHDARN BUSINESS.

I'm so sick you people thinking that Nick Saban, CTT, or ANYBODY owes you an explanation of how they handle their team.

You all are bashing Saban and you don't even know the frickin punishment. It's july so YOU DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE SUSPENDED. We don't play a game this weekend, so you don't know.

Who in the hell made you people king? Saban doesn't owe you (@*!. Nor does he owe me an explanation. It will be easy to see if these guys get suspended come september. But you all would rather bash him for the next 2 months.

Yes, if I see Brandon Deaderick playing on Sept 1st, I will be very dissapointed. But since it's July, I can't see for myself what will happen.

If he does suspend these guys, are you all going to rescind your 3 pages of bashing? Hell no.

Aw, you're confused.

He's not suspending them, BG. He has announced that he is punishing them "in house". You yourself are defending this method.

Asked if suspensions were in order, Saban said, "Did I say that?"
if they keep doing those things, he said, they won't be suspended.
"These players have been given things they need to do, and they are doing them," said Saban, in his first appearance at SEC Media Days as the Crimson Tide's coach. "If they do them properly, they won't face any suspensions or anything that will affect their ability to perform on the field. However, if they don't do those things, then the consequences could affect their ability to represent the University of Alabama on the football field."

For the record, he defended Shula with the same BS after he had the 10 game winning season, and then when he went 6-6, he changed his stance and started bashing him for it.

You are misinformed.

Is he really?

Though around here, if Shula would have done anything short of cancelling the season next year for Juwan's mistake...you guys would crucify him.

Im telling you...there is nothing he could do short of kicking every player that has a hiccup off the team...to keep you guys from saying he's soft.

Here's a gem...

doesn't matter. alabama state law, is the driver is responsible for whatever is in the car, bumper too bumper, no matter who's it may happen to be, or who may be in posession. if 1 is busted, everybody is busted. i know this for a fact.

242436[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with how his actions are perceived in terms of punishment on for football. If we just went by the law...since he didnt get a felony charge, he shouldnt get much punishment at all...and i doubt you all would go for that.

I have never understood why rival fans think Shula OWES them an explanation of how he handles HIS team. People act like they need to be consulted for their approval or something...

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility ... to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies," Goodell said in a letter to Vick.

Now THAT is discipline being handed down. :thumbsup:

Shows that it's not only us AUBS here on this AUBURN BOARD that thinks this is the proper way to handle it.

BG, please man...you're TOOOOOO EEEAAASSYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime you post about these things, it's like...

sfiselfdestructrk0.gif

Complete self destruction...

...and I LOVE IT! :lol:

But why does that mean that he should be suspended? 1. you dont know what happened. 2. if he did have some disagreements with the staff...why does that warrant a suspension?

Its like shula is screwed either way. You have no clue as to what went on, and you are already going to crucify him if Hall doesnt sit out? How does that make sense?

Another classic...

I think Simpson's comments were out of frustration. He's tired of talking about it. He's already done interviews where he was apologetic and humbled. He, like everyone else, is ready for the season to start.

And for all the comments that suggest we are on the bring of losing control...its funny that if you look at Shula's term and CTT's in the same time span...there have been roughly the same amount of problems off the field (that have been reported).

In the past year we've had Juwan's thing, Simeon not making the grade, and JPW's DUI. While im not saying its ok to drink and drive, JPW blew the equivalent of about 3-4 beers. That doesnt indicate a guy whos out of control. Simeon has already righted himself and is a proven leader. I dont know what to think about Juwan's thing. I think he should be suspended, but Im not the coach. And I dont know what has already happened behind closed doors.

Its funny that in spite of our continued path of spiraling out of control...we seem to have fewer discipline issues than most programs in the SEC.

Shula has been here for going on 4 seasons...we've had 8 major problems:

JPW's DUI

Simeon's Grades

Hudson's weed thing

Brandon Avalos and his drug thing

Simpson's deal

And Britts crazy outburst on the strip

Curtis Dawson's partying

Earnest Nance's nightclub thing

Curtis, Nance and Brandon were excused from the team. Simpson has been here for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. Simeon one problem in 3 seasons. Hudson 1 problem in 5 seasons. Never did ANYTHING wrong after his run in. Britt didnt have another problem and graduated.

Yeah, we are out of control. UT has had, what 4 arrests since May? They had like 12 last year?

Reading is fundamental

Coach Shula arranges for athletes who have broken team rules to do hours at our place

Simpson also did community service at a childrens center. That was probably part of his court mandated community service.

But why does that mean that he should be suspended? 1. you dont know what happened. 2. if he did have some disagreements with the staff...why does that warrant a suspension?

Its like shula is screwed either way. You have no clue as to what went on, and you are already going to crucify him if Hall doesnt sit out? How does that make sense?

Nobody here EVER EVER EVER gives him credit. Fortunately, im used to it.

Another classic...

I think Simpson's comments were out of frustration. He's tired of talking about it. He's already done interviews where he was apologetic and humbled. He, like everyone else, is ready for the season to start.

And for all the comments that suggest we are on the bring of losing control...its funny that if you look at Shula's term and CTT's in the same time span...there have been roughly the same amount of problems off the field (that have been reported).

In the past year we've had Juwan's thing, Simeon not making the grade, and JPW's DUI. While im not saying its ok to drink and drive, JPW blew the equivalent of about 3-4 beers. That doesnt indicate a guy whos out of control. Simeon has already righted himself and is a proven leader. I dont know what to think about Juwan's thing. I think he should be suspended, but Im not the coach. And I dont know what has already happened behind closed doors.

Its funny that in spite of our continued path of spiraling out of control...we seem to have fewer discipline issues than most programs in the SEC.

Shula has been here for going on 4 seasons...we've had 8 major problems:

JPW's DUI

Simeon's Grades

Hudson's weed thing

Brandon Avalos and his drug thing

Simpson's deal

And Britts crazy outburst on the strip

Curtis Dawson's partying

Earnest Nance's nightclub thing

Curtis, Nance and Brandon were excused from the team. Simpson has been here for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. Simeon one problem in 3 seasons. Hudson 1 problem in 5 seasons. Never did ANYTHING wrong after his run in. Britt didnt have another problem and graduated.

Yeah, we are out of control. UT has had, what 4 arrests since May? They had like 12 last year?

"ONLY 8?" ...."MAJOR PROBLEMS"....

Nothing like learning from your mistakes...huh BG? sfuntonguestuckiw9.gif

Then suddenly you can admit Shula was soft...

He got fired, because that improvement wasn't because of good coaching. It was because the breaks we didnt get in the early years, we got in 05. He got fired because he lost complete control and respect of his players.

Dubose had the same problem Shula did. He was a friend to the players, didnt discipline them, and the weightroom was OPTIONAL.
You KNOW that if CTT wouldn't have made any changes in his first 4 years at Auburn, he wouldn't be there today. You KNOW none of the players respected Shula. You KNOW Shula had a discipline problem.

Here's the reasons we fired him:

0-18 when trailing in the 4th quarter

Combined 0-8 against Auburn and LSU

1-3 against UT

1-3 against Arkansas

Refused to discipline players

Players had outwardly made note that they didn't respect him as a coach

Teams got worse as the game went on

Teams got CONSISTENTLY worse as the season went on

Played favorites in terms of playing players (see Ken Darby and Chris Capps)

Lost to MSU. Barely beat Duke, Vandy, and Ole Miss

Refused to make weightlifting mandatory

Why do you ignore the fact that his players had no respect for him? When asked about him leaving, many of his players said they were happy he was gone. Why did Mike Shula not even know all the names of the players on his team?

Why did CMS refuse to discipline his players?

IT'S NONE OF YOUR GOSHDARN BUSINESS.

I'm so sick you people thinking that Nick Saban, CTT, or ANYBODY owes you an explanation of how they handle their team.

You all are bashing Saban and you don't even know the frickin punishment. It's july so YOU DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE SUSPENDED. We don't play a game this weekend, so you don't know.

Who in the hell made you people king? Saban doesn't owe you (@*!. Nor does he owe me an explanation. It will be easy to see if these guys get suspended come september. But you all would rather bash him for the next 2 months.

Wow...I think the blood that is rushing to your head during your contortions is beginning to affect your reason. Poor guy, I think you're wound up a little too tight.

Aw, you're confused.

He's not suspending them, BG. He has announced that he is punishing them "in house". You yourself are defending this method.

He didn't say he WASN'T suspending them either. He just didn't appreciate people putting words in his mouth.

As far as comparing this to Vick's situation, when any of our players are under Federal Indictment, you let me know. If Vick was in trouble for a misdemeanor disorderly conduct, do you think he'd be in camp right now? Of COURSE he would.

And quoting what I said last year doesn't matter. I stand by what I said last year. Punishing internally is fine with me. Not announcing to the world what they are doing is fine with me. As long as they are punished.

Like I said before, if Deaderick plays on Sept 1st, I will be quite dissapointed.

BG, from where I'm sitting, it looks like if they don't F up again they should all be good to go for the opener:

Asked if suspensions were in order, Saban said, "Did I say that?"
if they keep doing those things, he said, they won't be suspended.
"These players have been given things they need to do, and they are doing them," said Saban, in his first appearance at SEC Media Days as the Crimson Tide's coach. "If they do them properly, they won't face any suspensions or anything that will affect their ability to perform on the field. However, if they don't do those things, then the consequences could affect their ability to represent the University of Alabama on the football field."

Now...

Now that I finally got that quote feature mess cleared up, can you tell me...

What is different about the way Shula handled discipline issues, and how Saban has just proven that he handles his?

How can one be a God and the other the sole target of all your recent woes when they handled it THE EXACT SAME WAY (ice cream)?

Again, let's wait and see. He may not even be talking about Brandon. We don't know.

Do you refuse to read?

HE FLAT OUT SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT MISS A GAME UNLESS THEY MESS UP AGAIN!!!

How are you failing to comprehend this still?

BG, what you didn't get about me posting that sentence about Goodell's discipline, is that he made a great point.

His responsibility comes before the indictment, or before the law takes effect. His job is to ensure the perception, integrity and status of his league and teams come first. It's a suspension, not a ban. This means, if things got cleared up, he could come back.

I'm happy to hear you'll be disappointed if he plays on September first, but do you think this has anything to do with the ailing relationship that Satan, I mean Saban, is building with the local and national media.

That's just pathetic in light of everything this University needs to do to get itself back on a pedestal of respect.

What you don't understand, and never will, is that you whine, moan, b_tch and complain about how WE AUBS talk about him.....This is nothing compared to what the national media and other media will start doing if he continues this black-out he thinks is so neat and great. They'll dig and dig and dig till they find something to make him talk. Usually those things dug up, aren't positive.

Right now, he's burying things used to build a perception that there's much more to hide, than there is to brag about. That's not a great approach. Anyone could see that. Bama needed a coach that would endear himself to the public at least a few more notches than this demon seed is. It's just more bile that Bama can't process, and it's going to be ugly before to long.

:thumbsup:

One more quote to aid your comprehension:

Although Saban deflected questions about any potential punishment for the three players  Brandon Deaderick, Roy Upchurch and Brandon Fanney  recently arrested outside of a Tuscaloosa club, their teammates did share some insight.

“Those guys were in the wrong place at the wrong time,†junior center Antoine Caldwell said.

“I don’t know what they’re doing [for punishment], but it’s been handled and it’s been taken care of,†senior cornerback Simeon Castille said. “We’re just trying to get ready for the season.â€Â

What is different about the way Shula handled discipline issues, and how Saban has just proven that he handles his?

Because we don't know how Saban has handled it. The only discipline problem I had with Shula was how he handled the JS deal. I think he did ok with the others.

As far as Saban, I've said it 1000 times...I'm honestly tired of repeating myself. I wish to wait until Sept 1st to see if Deaderick is playing. Is that ok? Or do I need to check with you guys on how I should handle how I FEEL about it?

I'm not willing to crucify someone before I know the score. Saban knows more about these kids' case than I do. I wasn't there.

IF Deaderick did all that he's accused of, and IF he's not suspended for it...I will be very dissapointed. But I'm not sooooo eager to slam Saban that I'm willing to judge 2 months before the season starts.

Why is that so unreasonable?

Because we don't know how Saban has handled it. The only discipline problem I had with Shula was how he handled the JS deal. I think he did ok with the others.

As far as Saban, I've said it 1000 times...I'm honestly tired of repeating myself. I wish to wait until Sept 1st to see if Deaderick is playing. Is that ok? Or do I need to check with you guys on how I should handle how I FEEL about it?

I'm not willing to crucify someone before I know the score. Saban knows more about these kids' case than I do. I wasn't there.

IF Deaderick did all that he's accused of, and IF he's not suspended for it...I will be very dissapointed. But I'm not sooooo eager to slam Saban that I'm willing to judge 2 months before the season starts.

OH MY GOD, READ BG!!!

BASED ON THE SITUATION AT HAND, THOMAS CROWN IS NOT BEING SUSPENDED!!!

HE WILL ONLY "POSSIBLY" BE SUSPENDED IF HE CONTINUES TO HAVE DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS

OH MY GOD, READ BG!!!

BASED ON THE SITUATION AT HAND, THOMAS CROWN IS NOT BEING SUSPENDED!!!

HE WILL ONLY "POSSIBLY" BE SUSPENDED IF HE CONTINUES TO HAVE DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS

So I'm being unreasonable because I want to wait until our first game to see if Brandon is suspended?

No you’re the one that's funny. Everything you guys bashed Shula for (discipline wise) you’re applauding and defending Saban for doing the same thing. You guys all said that Shula taking a relax effort in discipline killed your season last year but yet you defend Saban for the same thing?

Bama fans = the biggest hypocrites in the world. Take a side and stay on it.

I don't think Shula was stern enough on discipline. But I had no problem with him no announcing to the world what the punishments were. IT'S NONE OF YOUR GOSHDARN BUSINESS.

then why do you continue to leech onto this board?

So I'm being unreasonable because I want to wait until our first game to see if Brandon is suspended?

What are you waiting on?

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not yet, but SABAN HAS ANNOUNCED THAT HE WILL NOT BE SUSPENDED FOR THIS INCIDENT!!!

Archived