Take Two

WAR EAGLE!!!

Saban handling punishment internally

Posted by Birmingham News sports staff July 26, 2007 9:09 AM

Alabama coach Nick Saban said Thursday that he is handling the punishment for the three players arrested on July 14 internally. He did not make public the specifics.

"Internally, we have all those players doing things that we feel can change their behavior," Saban said this morning in his first comments about the incident. "It'll be their responsibility to represent the University of Alabama in a first-class way. If that proves satisfactory internally, maybe it'll minimize punishment long-term."

Nearly two weeks ago, reserves Brandon Deaderick, Roy Upchurch and Brandon Fanney were arrested following a disturbance in front of The Legacy bar on the Tuscaloosa Strip. Fanney and Upchurch were charged with disorderly conduct. Deaderick was charged with giving a fake name to the police, criminal mischief and resisting arrest.

Asked if suspensions were in order, Saban said, "Did I say that?"

"It is what it is. When we have a player issue, it will not become public, how I handle it. But if they don't respond (to the punishment), we might have to question whether they should have the opportunity to represent the University. But they'll have the opportunity to prove it one way or another."

Ian R. Rapoport

Did I say that?
Seriously, do he just ask...DID I SAY THAT???? Heh...no coach, you didn't say anything. That was why there was a follow up question.

It looks like the same ole thing from the college on the capstone. Different coach, same BS. Just like it has been for the last 25 years.

The more I read about him the more or a pompous asshat I think he is...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe there are some Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Department vehicles that need washing. I heard that it's life-changing.

What was BG's thread called again? I believe that title is fitting here.

Oh yeah, I think it was...

BWAAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I wonder what Shane's going to backpedal in his next article.

So much for "Oh Shula didn't discipline these kids enough but Saban runs the tightest imaginable ship. Absolutely zero nonsense with Nick SaVior at the Helm."

Let me guess, BG. The internal "punishment" is sufficient because we don't know what it is but we can all assume it's worse than missing games.

Oh wait, let me guess, let me guess. Giving a fake name with the cops, resisting arrest, getting into a 5 man brawl with the cops, then trying to escape police custody by headbutting your way through the back of a squad car isn't all that serious.

Maybe Saban added some nestle syrup.

Haha.... this is hilarious. Stupid Saban and stupid bammers for thinking his discipline was unmatched (clearly... except by Shula)

I heard he took away their cell phones.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there. A little due process would be nice before considering such drastic measures. This is still America last time I checked.

if tubbs was easy on blackmon then this guy should probably miss the whole season right bammers?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Why don't you guys wait until the players actually get punished before you accuse Saban of being soft?

It is not our way or the way of our people.

Why don't you guys wait until the players actually get punished before you accuse Saban of being soft?

Looks like business as usual in T-Town. What's the old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I think that fits in this situation.

What does punishment meted out by the justice system have to do with that big ol softie, Nick "Did-I-Say-That" $aben?

Looks like business as usual in T-Town. What's the old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I think that fits in this situation.

Kind of like fans who think it's their RIGHT to know the business of the inner workings of football programs? Or fans who think it's their business to make 18 year old kids' business their own...

Kind of like fans who think it's their RIGHT to know the business of the inner workings of football programs? Or fans who think it's their business to make 18 year old kids' business their own...

So predictable.

First of all take off your Crimson shades for just one second.

Now. You KNOW that anything less than missing games is NOT punishment. Wah wah, he had to run extra laps?

Gimme a break. That is of course assuming the worst.

This was exactly your stance when Shula was around.

Now you can retroactively admit that Shula was soft.

Remember? Shula was a better X's and O's guys but the difference was that he didn't have any discipline on his team?

So what's the difference in then and now?

I guess you're going back to that original stance that what happens behind closed doors is sufficient punishment and fans "don't have the right to know" what that punishment may be.

Hysterical.

Lamest reply from you. Ever.

I head the player's had their ice cream cones taken away. They're now having to eat their ice cream out of a bowl. Oh the humanity!

Honestly, If any Auburn players got in a BRAWL with local police I would expect them removed from the team.

Getting arrested is one thing, the kids who resisted arrest and took swings wouldn't be at college anymore.

Looks like all you gotta do is play foosball at bamma to stay on the team. If they need you nothing like a rap sheet or a plea bargained assult and battery on a police officer charge will get in the way.

Look people, Jarijuana Simpson had to endure the embarassment of sitting out the second half of one of their film sessions before the Duke game last year. Commissioner Slive has come down hard on the administration at Bama for some of the cruel and unusual punishments meted out to players who commit very minor transgressions. Like, being pulled over for speeding and finding a gun and dope in the car. Or taking a swing at an officer. You know, trivial stuff that kids do.

Nick's hands are tied. Tied I tell ya.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/07/saban_...remain_pri.html

Saban any be the second coming of another Bama head coach, Mike Shula

Saban: Punishment to remain private

Posted by Paul Gattis July 26, 2007 11:15 AM

HOOVER -- Alabama coach Nick Saban said during his appearance Thursday at SEC Media Days that the punishment of three players arrested last week would remain a private affair.

"We will handle all discipline internally with our team," said Saban, sounding a refrain similar to the approach by former coach Mike Shula. "It will not be a public deal. These players have been given things they need to do and they are doing them."

Defensive linemen Brandon Deaderick and Brandon Fanney and tailback Roy Upchurch were arrested July 14 on misdemeanor charges stemming from an incident outside a Tuscaloosa bar. Deaderick was charged with giving a false name to officers, resisting address and criminal mischief. Fanney and Upchurch were charged with disorderly conduct.

Saban's comments Thursday were his first since the arrests.

"If they (serve their punishment) properly, learn from their mistakes, improve as people, then they won't face any suspensions or anything that will affect their ability to perform on the field," Saban said.

Shanes 180 will be that its important for Alabama to take care of their own problems privately to give these under appreciated kids a chance to get a degree with the mistakes they have made.

THey will be run pretty hard.

Guest Tigrinum Major

A mysterious gunslinger who drifts into a quiet western town, and quickly finds himself drawn into a conflict between simple homesteader Joe Starrett and powerful cattle baron Rufus Ryker, who wants to force him and every other homesteader in the valley off his land. Shane accepts a job as a farmhand, but finds Starrett's young son Joey drawn to him for his strength and skill with a gun. Shane himself is uncomfortably drawn to Starrett's wholesomely charming wife, Marian.

As tensions mount between the factions, Ryker hires Jack Wilson, a cold-blooded and skilled gunslinger. Joe Starrett decides to take it on himself to go kill Wilson and Ryker and save the town however he is stopped by Shane who insists on going himself. Starrett and Shane get in a fist fight where the winner will go on to face Wilson and Shane regretebly uses his gun to hit Joe over the head and knock him out, knowing this was the only way to prevent Joe from getting killed. Shane then goes to take on Wilson in a climactic showdown, killing him and Ryker, but being wounded in the shootout. After urging young Joey to refrain from a life of guns and violence, Shane leaves for parts unknown.

When Shane rides away, Joey calls after him, "Pa's got things for you to do! And Mother wants you. I know she does." The movie closes with Joey shouting "Shane! Shane! Come back!"

Due to the ambiguous nature of the final shot, there is some question as to whether or not Shane actually survives his wound.

Due to the ambiguous nature of the final shot, there is some question as to whether or not Shane actually survives his wound.

God, I hope not.

Archived