Saban being Saban again

quietfan

Still hasn't sunk in that PR IS a part of his job:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in....xml&coll=3

-- QUOTE TO REMEMBER: "I try to protect the time I think you need to spend on coaching your players, developing your players, and recruiting to have a chance to be successful. The people at LSU had a tremendous amount of respect for this: 'That guy's the coach and that's what we want.' They didn't care about you playing golf in Louisiana. I only played in two (golf events) the whole time I was there. I've already played in six here, and turned down 50 others, and no one seemed to get it. Well, how can I go recruit and do the things I need to do when you have me doing all this stuff?" -- Saban, as told to The Sporting News' Tom Dienhart during a recent one-on-one interview in Tuscaloosa.

Oh I thought he had won another conference championship or something.

wishful thinking bg. Or, is uat now counting the championships saban won AT LSU to add to their fake titles? Have to understand the rules, since uat plays by their own and they seem to change so quickly.

Oh I thought he had won another conference championship or something.

wishful thinking bg. Or, is uat now counting the championships saban won AT LSU to add to their fake titles? Have to understand the rules, since uat plays by their own and they seem to change so quickly.

It was a joke man.

He's gonna bail soon man. Bammers are driving him crazy. Now, in the Bammer's defense, if they were paying me 4 million a year, I'll be on the golf course when necessary. This was a statement made by a frustrated man that's realizing that his college return wasn't to the same place like LSU.

I'm tellin' ya man...

Tick tick tick tick tick........

I just think it's funny to hear him reference LSU over and over and over again...."When I was at LSU...we did this at LSU...my players at LSU understood...to be successful like I was at LSU, we must...LSU, L-S-U....cmon, everybody now, L - S - U !!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, from day one it's been like this. If I was a Bama fan (thank you dear Lord for your favor and your grace and your guidance in my life), I would be absolutely fed up with it by now. We get it dude, you won a championship at LSU. But...psst...stop trying to compare that with your new home. Maybe come up with a code word or something.

Side note: Tubs may have his flaws, but dude, I've always respected him and I only like him more now that Saban has come along. Two totally different guys. Different philosophies of coaching, different philosphies in handling the media.

I thought maybe he had failed miserably in the discipline department yet again.

OH,......nevermind.

I just think it's funny to hear him reference LSU over and over and over again...."When I was at LSU...we did this at LSU...my players at LSU understood...to be successful like I was at LSU, we must...LSU, L-S-U....cmon, everybody now, L - S - U !!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, from day one it's been like this. If I was a Bama fan (thank you dear Lord for your favor and your grace and your guidance in my life), I would be absolutely fed up with it by now. We get it dude, you won a championship at LSU. But...psst...stop trying to compare that with your new home. Maybe come up with a code word or something.

Side note: Tubs may have his flaws, but dude, I've always respected him and I only like him more now that Saban has come along. Two totally different guys. Different philosophies of coaching, different philosphies in handling the media.

How can we feel that way. We wanted to hire him, because he won a championship at LSU, so how can we get mad if he tries to tell us how he did it there. I personally don't care if he never plays in a golf tournamant, or some of the other appearances. If he wins games, the boosters/fans will still back him, and he will be able to recruit.

It is interesting to see the TOTALLY different philosophies that Saban and Tuberville have. My brother has worked all of the summer camps for the last three years and the thing that impresses him most about Tuberville is his approachability. He mentioned that at the last camp, Tubs stood out in nearly 100 degree weather for HOURS shaking hands, signing autographs, posing for pictures, ect. with every camper, family member, friend, you name it. He was the first one to arrive and the last one to leave and every one recieved his full attention. Apparently, this is not an isolated incident, as I have heard that he is this way whenever and wherever you see him.

This is the reason Borges called his the best assistant coaches job in America. Tubs understands that you hire great, self motivated people and let them do their job. Then, the HC can spend more of his time being "the face of the Auburn Tigers", rather than walking the halls making sure the assitants are at work at a certain time. I'd much rather work for someone who treats his staff like adults rather than two year olds. Obviously, Saban has been successful in the past, but it seems that he would be better served if he spent less time micro managing. I can't help but believe this attitude will wear thin with the fan base at Bama at some point wins or not.

It's like your wife can't shut up about how great things were in her previous marriage.

"When I was with Michael, we always...Michael never forgot to...Michael understood that..."

Good luck with that marriage made in hell.

It's like your wife can't shut up about how great things were in her previous marriage.

"When I was with Michael, we always...Michael never forgot to...Michael understood that..."

Good luck with that marriage made in hell.

Remind me to relay Sam Kinison's philosophy on this to you when I see you. I try to live by it and it has served me well.

How can we feel that way. We wanted to hire him, because he won a championship at LSU, so how can we get mad if he tries to tell us how he did it there. I personally don't care if he never plays in a golf tournamant, or some of the other appearances. If he wins games, the boosters/fans will still back him, and he will be able to recruit.

Let me correct you.....The UAT BOTs wanted to hire a bunch of other guys. See December 2006 thru January 2007 threads at various Bama message boards. UAT had to settle for Saban.

BTW.....if doesn't play in golf tournments and make appearances........the contributions start to dry up.

Nice try at spinning the truth. The TRUTH is, Alabama hired a NAME for the NAME. Period. It was a short-sighted, high-impact deal that was made for the IMMEDIATE "credibility" that Mal Moore felt like this would give your program. They don't give a rat's arse about 2 years from now.

It has NOTHING to do with winning games. It has NOTHING to do with winning championships. It has EVERYTHING to do with the surface-deep impression that your program is still a great program because that program could sign a great coach. And it has EVERYTHING to do with beating Auburn.

I'm sure Saban will win some games this year. But mark my words, if he does not beat Auburn this year or next year, he will be GONE the third year. That game is THE biggest game of the year for you guys. I don't care how much you guys deny it. If he loses to every other team and wins only one game...and that game is Auburn...then he has done what he was hired to do.

Pretty sad when you think about it. That much money for a NAME in high hopes to beat Auburn.

Bear Bryant was not a rockstar coach when he came to Alabama. He built his legacy over time. Right now, you guys are trying to hire and fire your way to a championship. Saban will be gone in 3 years.

... the thing that impresses him most about Tuberville is his approachability. He mentioned that at the last camp, Tubs stood out in nearly 100 degree weather for HOURS shaking hands, signing autographs, posing for pictures, ect. with every camper, family member, friend, you name it. He was the first one to arrive and the last one to leave and every one recieved his full attention.

BTW.....if [he] doesn't play in golf tournments and make appearances........the contributions start to dry up.

This is the point that the some Bama fans (and Saban himself) miss when they say "The coach is just here to coach...not to make friends off the field." Not only will the contributions shrink if he refuses to meet the fans & boosters, but recruiting will also take a hit as family, friends, high school connections, etc., begin to take offense at his arrogance and reclusiveness. Public Relations is a BIG, BIG part of college football, and probably nowhere as much so as uat!

Nice try at spinning the truth. The TRUTH is, Alabama hired a NAME for the NAME. Period. It was a short-sighted, high-impact deal that was made for the IMMEDIATE "credibility" that Mal Moore felt like this would give your program. They don't give a rat's arse about 2 years from now.

It has NOTHING to do with winning games. It has NOTHING to do with winning championships. It has EVERYTHING to do with the surface-deep impression that your program is still a great program because that program could sign a great coach. And it has EVERYTHING to do with beating Auburn.

I'm sure Saban will win some games this year. But mark my words, if he does not beat Auburn this year or next year, he will be GONE the third year. That game is THE biggest game of the year for you guys. I don't care how much you guys deny it. If he loses to every other team and wins only one game...and that game is Auburn...then he has done what he was hired to do.

Pretty sad when you think about it. That much money for a NAME in high hopes to beat Auburn.

Bear Bryant was not a rockstar coach when he came to Alabama. He built his legacy over time. Right now, you guys are trying to hire and fire your way to a championship. Saban will be gone in 3 years.

Absolutely SPOT ON!!! Great post!

Absolutely SPOT ON!!! Great post!

Good gravy! EXACTLY. Holy crap batman. Two dead on statements:

"It has everything to do with the surface-deep impression that your program is still a great program because that program could sign a great coach."

"...you guys are trying to hire and fire your way to a championship."

Thanks. That perfectly sums up what's going on here.

Archived