Saban recalls Bowden's offer

JohnDeere

link from Florida

Originally published September 25, 2007

Saban recalls Bowden's offer

By Steve Ellis

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

Nick Saban was a first-year graduate assistant at Kent State when his father died in West Virginia. A week or so later he received a phone call from the head coach at West Virginia, Bobby Bowden.

“He says, 'Nick, I don't really have a position,' '' Saban said. " 'But I know you're a graduate assistant (at Kent State). . . . If you need to come home and be around your mother, I'll create a position for you here so that you can be here, and you can be closer to home.'

“That's the kind of guy we're talking about here. When I talk about (the) coaching profession, people doing things the right way, this is the epitome of a man who has done it for a long, long time and has done it with a lot of class, a lot of character. Obviously, his program and accomplishments speak for themselves.”

So who has the advantage?

Alabama's defensive coordinator is Kevin Steele, who a year ago was FSU's linebacker coach and executive head coach. FSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher was Saban's offensive coordinator from 2000-2004. FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett served in that same capacity at LSU in 2000 and at West Virginia in the late 1970s when Saban was a secondary coach there. Alabama secondary coach Kirby Smart was a graduate assistant under Mickey Andrews at FSU and Alabama offensive line coach Joe Pendry was an assistant coach under Bobby Bowden at West Virginia. Alabama receivers coach Curt Cignetti was an assistant coach under Chuck Amato at North Carolina State. Cignett's father once worked for Bowden at West Virginia.

But Saban doesn't think all those connections will greatly affect the game.

“I think it's relatively insignificant because it comes down to the players' ability to execute on the field,” Saban said. “Whether you know the offense or they know the defense, they still don't know when you're going to do what. . . . There is enough diversity in what we all do. Even though you know what the other team does, you still have to be able to execute whatever they dial up either side of the ball.”

Fisher was asked if it will it be a wash when it comes to one staff having an advantage over the other with knowledge of the other.

“I guess so,” Fisher said. “He likes to do everything. There will be blitzing and coming from other looks and angles. And there will be something new in there he's created. So I guess it will be a wash.”

Fisher added of Saban: “He is not a conservative guy.”

A recruiting aid

Saturday's game against Alabama provides FSU with another chance to showcase its program in a Jacksonville area that has been important to the Seminoles. Three members of Jacksonville's First Coast High have already committed to FSU as part of the 2008 recruiting class.

Saban also sees this neutral-site game is a plus for Alabama as well.

“I think it can be effective relative to exposure especially in areas where you might recruit,” Saban said. “It's like a bowl game in a way. You're playing somebody out of conference. It's a national game. . . . We're playing in a neutral site where we both recruit quite a bit whether it's South Georgia or Florida.”

FSU may play a neutral game in Jacksonville next year after a possibility for one in the Georgia Dome failed to materialize. FSU and Florida Citrus Bowl officials in Orlando have been talking but an opponent has not been established according to FSU director of athletics Dave Hart.

The Seminoles will continue to play home-and-home series with national opponents. Oklahoma, West Virginia and Air Force are already inked and FSU hosts Colorado again as part of its three-game series.

Archived