UF's Tebow leads Heisman poll

JohnDeere

Bullentin Board Material......Thanks Scripps News Service for the motivation.

gatorsports

Scripps Howard News Service

12:00 am, September 26, 2007

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has surged into the lead in this week's Scripps Howard Heisman Trophy poll.

With an impressive 427 yards of total offense with 2 TD passes, and 2 TD runs in a 30-24 win at Ole Miss, Tebow replaced Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, last week's leader who has been hurt by consecutive losses by the Razorbacks. A sophomore, Tebow would have to overcome long odds to win as no sophomore has ever won the Heisman.

Compiled by The Rocky Mountain News in Denver, the Scripps Heisman poll is the longest-running weekly Heisman poll in the country, in its 21st year. The final poll taken in December correctly has predicted the Heisman winner in 17 of the previous 20 seasons. There are 10 voters, all college football writers and two from each voting region, who vote for five players each week. The tabulations are made on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc. First-place votes are in parentheses.

This week's poll, with statistics from last week:

1. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, 20-of-34, 261 yards passing, 2 TDs; 166 rushing, 2 TD runs, 35 (4)

2. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas, 173 rushing, TD run, 27 (4)

3. Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky, 21-of-39, 265 yards, 2 TDs, 18

4. John David Booty, QB, USC ,28-of-35, 279 yards, 4 TDs, 15 (1)

5. (tie) Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon, 27-of-36, 367 yards, 4 TDs, 12 (1)

5. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College, 35-of-51, 356 yards, 3 TDs, 12

5. Pat White, QB West Va., 18-of-20, 181 yards, 2 TD passes, 42 rushing, 2 TD runs,12

Bullentin Board Material......Thanks Scripps News Service for the motivation.

gatorsports

Scripps Howard News Service

12:00 am, September 26, 2007

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has surged into the lead in this week's Scripps Howard Heisman Trophy poll.

With an impressive 427 yards of total offense with 2 TD passes, and 2 TD runs in a 30-24 win at Ole Miss, Tebow replaced Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, last week's leader who has been hurt by consecutive losses by the Razorbacks. A sophomore, Tebow would have to overcome long odds to win as no sophomore has ever won the Heisman.

Compiled by The Rocky Mountain News in Denver, the Scripps Heisman poll is the longest-running weekly Heisman poll in the country, in its 21st year. The final poll taken in December correctly has predicted the Heisman winner in 17 of the previous 20 seasons. There are 10 voters, all college football writers and two from each voting region, who vote for five players each week. The tabulations are made on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc. First-place votes are in parentheses.

This week's poll, with statistics from last week:

1. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, 20-of-34, 261 yards passing, 2 TDs; 166 rushing, 2 TD runs, 35 (4)

2. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas, 173 rushing, TD run, 27 (4)

3. Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky, 21-of-39, 265 yards, 2 TDs, 18

4. John David Booty, QB, USC ,28-of-35, 279 yards, 4 TDs, 15 (1)

5. (tie) Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon, 27-of-36, 367 yards, 4 TDs, 12 (1)

5. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College, 35-of-51, 356 yards, 3 TDs, 12

5. Pat White, QB West Va., 18-of-20, 181 yards, 2 TD passes, 42 rushing, 2 TD runs,12

He'll never win it as a sophomore.

Tebow right now deserves the hype

The problem is...Tebow is just now heading into the tough part of his schedule

If he has great games against AU, LSU, UGA, and USC....giving it to him may not be that bad of an idea

Tebow right now deserves the hype

The problem is...Tebow is just now heading into the tough part of his schedule

If he has great games against AU, LSU, UGA, and USC....giving it to him may not be that bad of an idea

That was my thought too.

All this is, is evidence to the crap field available to vote from this year. Might as well give it Booty by the USC wins everything default rule.

The schedule will hash out, and we'll all know for sure in the relative near future if he deserves any recognition at all, but for me, there's NO way he's the most talented, or most important player in college football so far this year. PERIOD.

As far as WHO is? Don't know, but not the sophmore benifactor of a offensive scheme and otherwise mediocre opposition.

As far as WHO is? Don't know, but not the sophmore benifactor of a offensive scheme and otherwise mediocre opposition.

I have to disagree with this statement. I don't think Tebow is by any means the best player this season (so far). However, no players are just a benefactor of an offensive scheme. It takes a special player to be able to consistently execute an offensive scheme and it takes a special offensive scheme to help a player look good - no matter the age. I think Tim Tebow is doing a phenomenal job this season. Considering the hype surrounding him since he was 16, I think he's really developed into the player everybody was expecting.

As far as my opinion, it's between Darren McFadden and Mike Hart. These two guys are on average teams but are the ONLY reason why their teams are competing in football games. But, wins count - not performance and leadership.

I have to disagree with this statement. I don't think Tebow is by any means the best player this season (so far). However, no players are just a benefactor of an offensive scheme. It takes a special player to be able to consistently execute an offensive scheme and it takes a special offensive scheme to help a player look good - no matter the age. I think Tim Tebow is doing a phenomenal job this season. Considering the hype surrounding him since he was 16, I think he's really developed into the player everybody was expecting.

As far as my opinion, it's between Darren McFadden and Mike Hart. These two guys are on average teams but are the ONLY reason why their teams are competing in football games. But, wins count - not performance and leadership.

That's fair. I agree more with your candidates. If you say DMac, you almost certainly could include his counterpart, Felix Jones. He's been equally impressive. Mike Hart is in a tough position, but the single REAL offensive weapon Michigan has. As far as Tebow, I don't doubt his talent, but I'd like to see more than week opposition that can't stop a quarterback draw. Allllll I'm saying.

I'd like to see Auburn be that team to step up and stop the "hype" so far... B)

Archived