Makes me want to puke, too!

JohnDeere

I would have dragged that heifer out back by her hair.

story_mug_jcarlson.jpg

And all these media types dogging Gundy........FOR WHAT? This column is over the line anyway you read it and all the a**hats defending her are showing their a*****. This entire column is crap. I'd love to see CTT go off on some idiot reporter.

Oklahoma

Reid is still the most talented signal-caller, but attitude is reason for change

By Jenni Carlson

The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.

It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.

Which brings us to the quarterback switch-a-roo at Oklahoma State.

Don't see the connection?

Let me explain. Cowboy coaches have gone full-speed ahead with the Zac Attack, opting to start Robinson over Reid a week ago, then sticking with him against Texas Tech today even after an embarrassing loss at Troy. Weren't we being told just last week that Reid was still the guy? All the weight with which Cowboy coaches were backing Reid has totally shifted to Robinson.

The change seems sudden.

Thing is, it may not be as abrupt as it looks. If you believe the rumors and the rumblings, Reid has been pushing coaches that way for quite some time.

Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern that hasn't always been pretty.

Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.

Reid's nerves have also been an issue. Earlier this year, he told our Andrea Cohen about his game-day emotions.

"I get sweaty palms. I get the butterflies in my stomach. I sweat lot,” he said then. "I've been playing this game for 15 years. And I can honestly say every game I've played in, I've been nervous. It's not so much me being scared; I just get to a point where I start worrying about a lot of things I can't control.”

A lot of guys get nervous, some even puke before games. Coming from a female that has never played one down of contact football. How you handle the nerves is important, though, and Reid hasn't always managed them well. He has gotten off to some extremely slow starts, putting the Cowboys in some holes. Some, they dug out of, with Reid often wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn't.

Then, there have been the injuries. No doubt some of Reid's ailments have been severe, including an injured shoulder that required surgery and forced him to redshirt. Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig. [/color]How would this heifer know?

Reid's injury against Florida Atlantic — whatever it was — appeared minor but just might have been the thing that pushed Cowboy coaches over the edge. Even though Mike Gundy said last week that Robinson got the nod because he had the better week of practice, insiders say that the coaches decided to bench Reid early in the week. The bottom line: The switch is less about Robinson's play and more about Reid's attitude.

"The coaches made a decision,” Reid told our Mike Baldwin after the Troy game. "I just have to go with it, get better and get back on the field.”

There's something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words. Does he have the fire in his belly?

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken? Who buys this garbage? Where is the NCAAP when you need them? This crap sounds more racist, then Gundy's reply sounds sexiest.

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid. A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public? Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll? The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

Reid is the most talented quarterback in Payne County, but he hasn't proven that he's the toughest. If you listen to the rumblings and the rumors, Cowboy coaches simply grew weary of it.

Who knows? There might come a day when they grow tired of something Robinson does, but for now, they appear willing to sacrifice a bit of talent for a lot of grit.

Imagine PF writing some sh** like this about Cox or Wilson.

Frankly, I don't see what the gender of the writer has to do with anything. I lot of male sportswriters have never played football either but that doesn't automatically make them unqualified to comment on it. She's apparently got some inside sources that are telling her some of this stuff about Reid's attitude. I think Gundy, while not being sexist, was way over the top about this article.

And the chicken comment? I fail to see the racism. Was his mother feeding him or was he feeding himself? Was it chicken or a hamburger? If indeed he was being fed by his mom and it was chicken she was feeding him, the comment is irrelevant.

Frankly, I don't see what the gender of the writer has to do with anything. I lot of male sportswriters have never played football either but that doesn't automatically make them unqualified to comment on it. She's apparently got some inside sources that are telling her some of this stuff about Reid's attitude. I think Gundy, while not being sexist, was way over the top about this article.

And the chicken comment? I fail to see the racism. Was his mother feeding him or was he feeding himself? Was it chicken or a hamburger? If indeed he was being fed by his mom and it was chicken she was feeding him, the comment is irrelevant.

The chicken in a box comment, Carlson stated was in reference to a box of Popeye's chicken. I bet if that was in the column Al Sharpton would be all over it.

Reid's mother said that was a completely false, she never brought him anything to eat.

As far as Carlson's gender or experience playing football......how many male writer's you see writing about female gymnasitcs or females writing about baseball for that matter?

The chicken in a box comment, Carlson stated was in reference to a box of Popeye's chicken. I bet if that was in the column Al Sharpton would be all over it.

Again, it doesn't matter. If it was in a box and it was chicken, it is truth, not racism.

Reid's mother said that was a completely false, she never brought him anything to eat.

Ok, then deal with her lying about it, if indeed that's what the writer did. But I have a hard time believing this writer would just make up something so peripheral out of thin air.

As far as Carlson's gender or experience playing football......how many male writer's you see writing about female gymnasitcs or females writing about baseball for that matter?

Utterly irrelevant.

First, the number of female writers and commentators is far less than the number of men in that field. But the ones that are there report on all kinds of sports from baseball to football to basketball. They don't just confine themselves the LPGA and WNBA. Plus, men's sports overall are more popular than women's sports. So if you're a woman, and a reporter and want to work in sports, you will mostly likely be covering men's sports at least some of the time if not all of the time.

Second, there are plenty of male writers and commentators covering women's tennis, soccer, gymnastics and figure skating.

Third, you simply do not have to have played a sport to study it, understand strategy, learn the intricacies of it and report on it. Frankly, I'd rather listen to Suzy Kolber break down an NFL game over a ton of the male morons they stick in a chair or give a column to just because they strapped on a helmet before. She knows her stuff. Andrea Kramer is a good sideline reporter and generally asks a much better grade of question than your average sideline person.

Again, it doesn't matter. If it was in a box and it was chicken, it is truth, not racism.

Ok, then deal with her lying about it, if indeed that's what the writer did. But I have a hard time believing this writer would just make up something so peripheral out of thin air.

So if it had read, "Reid's mother brought him a some fried chicken, collard greens, and a watermelon to eat before the game." That's alright? Even if it is a complete LIE?

Sharpton and the NAACP, and whoever wants to jump on the 'race train' are giving this FEMALE writer a free pass. WHY? because she is a FEMALE.

So if it had read, "Reid's mother brought him a some fried chicken, collard greens, and a watermelon to eat before the game." That's alright? Even if it is a complete LIE?

Sharpton and the NAACP, and whoever wants to jump on the 'race train' are giving this FEMALE writer a free pass. WHY? because she is a FEMALE.

First, you didn't initially say anything about the mother disputing the story, so my point was that if he was eating chicken and his mother was feeding it to him, it's not racist to mention that indeed he was eating chicken and his mom was feeding it to him.

Now if it is a lie, then that is a problem. But as I said, I have serious doubts that a reporter would just pull something like that out of thin air and throw it into a column. If you made me bet one way or the other, I'd bet the mom is lying to make her son look better. I could be wrong but that's my gut instinct.

She seems like a complete idiot just from reading that. I dont need to know that shes a woman to know that she knows nothing about football. I dont see Gundy being wrong to stand up for Reid because there are a lot of personal attacks on him in that article that are all based on a bunch of crap. If Gundy didnt say something then there would probably be some people out there accepting what she said as truth. I feel like the media has a responsibility not only to refrain from the personal attacks but to refrain from making up stories with no credibility. I also agree with Gundy that the editor was crap for allowing it. Both of them are to blame.

She seems like a complete idiot just from reading that. I dont need to know that shes a woman to know that she knows nothing about football. I dont see Gundy being wrong to stand up for Reid because there are a lot of personal attacks on him in that article that are all based on a bunch of crap. If Gundy didnt say something then there would probably be some people out there accepting what she said as truth. I feel like the media has a responsibility not only to refrain from the personal attacks but to refrain from making up stories with no credibility. I also agree with Gundy that the editor was crap for allowing it. Both of them are to blame.

But no one has established that she made the account up or that she's not reporting things that sources within the athletic dept. gave her.

But no one has established that she made the account up or that she's not reporting things that sources within the athletic dept. gave her.

It is just like Gundy put it, "I don't want to debate the facts of this, it is over". Why sift through this garbage, trying to pick out facts? It a direct vicious attack on a college athlete. Just like the freakin rules of this board, why even go into debating about the personal character of a 19 year old kid, especially in the national media? It is garbage. So he belittled this female in front of her peers to teach her a lesson and she needs to pick up and move on, just like every other media talking head/reporter who is jumping on Gundy's case every chance they get.

Titan, Gundy said the article was 75% in error.

Titan, Gundy said the article was 75% in error.

I did hear that vague assertion. But he didn't give any details as to what was in error and certainly didn't offer any proof. That's not "established", that's "he said/she said."

Look, I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here. The reporter stands by her story and the facts she reported in it. The coach obviously thinks she's wrong. None of us know the truth. But my point in doing this was to react against automatic assumptions about the reporter simply because she's a female reporter, hasn't played the game, isn't to be trusted because she's in the media, insinuations of racism simply because the word "chicken" appeared in conjunction with a black person in the article. That's nonsense.

I think his reaction was over the top and was the wrong way to handle the situation. I think she could have done a better job of critiquing a college kid than the hatchet job she did. But automatically kneejerking to take one side or the other is just as dumb, especially since none of us know jack crap about what the truth really is.

Archived