Bammers ruin wedding reception.

townhallsavoy

Not exactly. But it was horribly embarassing.

I attended a wedding yesterday of two good friends of mine who are Auburn grads. The bride and her family are all from California and Pennsylvania, so needless to say, they weren't too aware of the SEC style of football. Her uncle even asked me about the Auburn-Alabama rivalry. I tried to explain it but couldn't do it justice.

Anyways, at the reception, the bar had two tvs on the Bama-LSU game. A bunch of people crowded around it, including about ten Bama fans who were congregating together. Included in this bunch was the groom's father. Everything was fine until Bama went up 27-17. The Bama fans erupted - IN THE MIDDLE OF CUTTING THE CAKE. Now, I know, I know. Cutting the cake oh gosh! But still, the audacity to scream like that in the middle of a wedding reception tradition was incredibly rude. But this wasn't the worst of it. They proceeded to start yelling, "You're next Auburn! You're next War Chickens!" As the game went on, their beer totals increased along with their profanity. After Arenas's punt return TD, one of the Bama guys loudly said, "You think them f-in' cajuns miss Saban now?"

When LSU took the final lead, a few of the Auburn fans (including me) said "War Eagle!" We hoped to antagonize the Bammers a bit, but what happened next was quite stunning. The older Bama fan, probably 60 years old, came over to us and said, "You f-in' Aubies ought to have a little respect for the bride and groom. Not to mention, the groom's father is an Alabama Crimson Tide fan. You want me to introduce you to him? He won't exactly like you acting the way you are." One of the guys standing near me said, "Yeah we recognized him when he screamed as loud as he could when his son and daughter-in-law were taking pictures in front of their wedding cake." The Bammer then grabbed the guy's arm and responded, "You watch your mouth, son."

After that I walked away just to get away from the drama.

Oh those Bammers!

Now I am never one to stand up for the boorish behavior of our dark pick clad rivals, but the blame lies solely with whomever scheduled a wedding during football season. That may wash in California and Pennsylvania, but in this part of the country it is unforgivable. There is nothing more vain, self-absorbed, egomaniacal, and narcissistic than to schedule a wedding during football season. It is a classic example of the Bridezilla syndrome that women get about "their day." Some how their wedding is more special if they know that every man present is being forced to miss a game because of her.

Sorry about the rant, but I just cannot stand autumn weddings.

Now I am never one to stand up for the boorish behavior of our dark pick clad rivals, but the blame lies solely with whomever scheduled a wedding during football season. That may wash in California and Pennsylvania, but in this part of the country it is unforgivable. There is nothing more vain, self-absorbed, egomaniacal, and narcissistic than to schedule a wedding during football season. It is a classic example of the Bridezilla syndrome that women get about "their day." Some how their wedding is more special if they know that every man present is being forced to miss a game because of her.

"Chapter One"

I agree. haha

I had to go to a wedding last year on IronBowl saturday. I was so mad. Two UGA grads. They couldn't wait a couple of weeks? It was a bye week for UGA so that's why they did it that week. I got to watch the first half before the ceremony but had to miss the second. Luckily the ceremony wasn't very long so I got to check the scores but I still missed the entire second half. I was just glad we won.

Is this book SEC football or Bammer football? If it is about bammer football, then I have Chapters 2 - 14. Bahr Bryant. There are exerts in chapter 15 on the correct way to inbreed.

Not exactly. But it was horribly embarassing.

I attended a wedding yesterday of two good friends of mine who are Auburn grads. The bride and her family are all from California and Pennsylvania, so needless to say, they weren't too aware of the SEC style of football. Her uncle even asked me about the Auburn-Alabama rivalry. I tried to explain it but couldn't do it justice.

Anyways, at the reception, the bar had two tvs on the Bama-LSU game. A bunch of people crowded around it, including about ten Bama fans who were congregating together. Included in this bunch was the groom's father. Everything was fine until Bama went up 27-17. The Bama fans erupted - IN THE MIDDLE OF CUTTING THE CAKE. Now, I know, I know. Cutting the cake oh gosh! But still, the audacity to scream like that in the middle of a wedding reception tradition was incredibly rude. But this wasn't the worst of it. They proceeded to start yelling, "You're next Auburn! You're next War Chickens!" As the game went on, their beer totals increased along with their profanity. After Arenas's punt return TD, one of the Bama guys loudly said, "You think them f-in' cajuns miss Saban now?"

When LSU took the final lead, a few of the Auburn fans (including me) said "War Eagle!" We hoped to antagonize the Bammers a bit, but what happened next was quite stunning. The older Bama fan, probably 60 years old, came over to us and said, "You f-in' Aubies ought to have a little respect for the bride and groom. Not to mention, the groom's father is an Alabama Crimson Tide fan. You want me to introduce you to him? He won't exactly like you acting the way you are." One of the guys standing near me said, "Yeah we recognized him when he screamed as loud as he could when his son and daughter-in-law were taking pictures in front of their wedding cake." The Bammer then grabbed the guy's arm and responded, "You watch your mouth, son."

After that I walked away just to get away from the drama.

Oh those Bammers!

But to try to start a fight is truly classless regardless of the thoughtless scheduling of the wedding.

A good friend of mine got married 9? years ago on the "third saturday in october" the year AU went undefeated (on probation). AU was playing florida was down (I think) 21 points at halftime. They had come back and the game was in the final minutes when it was time for the wedding the start. Both the brides and grooms father, the groom, the preacher, and the rest of us were all watching the game telling the extremely pissed off brides mother to just hang on for a couple of minutes. A couple of guys actually in the church sitting waiting on the ceremony to begin figured out why it was late starting and actually sought us out to catch the end as well..... AU won and the room started clearing out hastily - The Bama game was getting ready to kick off - the grooms father grabbed the preacher and said "you've got 15 minutes!" on the way out of the room.....

I really thought it was funny at the reception when we were all crowded around the tv watching the Bama game and the brides mother was "really" getting onto her husband about everyone watching the game and he said "I told you to plan the wedding after football season - its not my fault your so hard headed!!!!"

SEC football and their fans are the greatest!!

My old roomate from Auburn got married in Chattanooga on the weekend of the Auburn-Ole Miss game in 2004. His b*tch of a wife demanded that there be "no TV's during the reception", so we had no chance to watch the game.

We make our way to the bar area (which was separate from the big room with the food and band) and open a cabinet, only to find a TV. The bartender said "We have specific instructions for the TV's NOT to be turned on." We told the guy that he didn't have a choice, unless he didn't want to be tipped the rest of the night. He handed us the remote, and we turned the game on.

About 45 mintues later, when the bar was over-crowded and no one was on the dance floor, the bride comes in and raises hell, and makes the bartender turn off the TV. We (about 30-40 people) got so pissed we left the reception and walked down the street to a bar to watch the rest of the game.

We still give my buddy crap about it.

People not from the South just don't get it especially. I was talking to a co-worker the other day about people having weddings on fall Saturdays, particularly during game times or on big game days. She thought I was crazy to suggest that it was stupid to not plan around such things. That anyone who would be upset at missing a ball game over two people committing to each other for life is just messed up.

I just told her you can talk about the way you think the world should be or you can deal with how the world is. Go ahead and plan that October or November wedding with no regard for the football games and enjoy having half the attendance you hoped for and having half the ones that do show up leave early or be distracted the entire time. They're your memories.

I was at a wedding this weekend. The reception started right around the time of the uat-LSU kickoff.

We laid someone's phone on the table that apparently had a radio built in and listened to the first half on that.

Then we left before the whole bride & groom leaving thing to watch the second half at my house.

I would have to agree with this. I can say that living here in South Ga. that I have been lucky so far and haven't really had to witness this first hand. The reason is most of my buddies and fraternity brothers have never had a wedding during football season. (Big UGA fans) I haev even heard a couple of the bride-to-be's say the reason they didn't have a fall wedding was because they wanted to make sure nobody's football team was playing. That is funny but the truth at the same time.

People that aren't from around here (the South) don't understand and probably never will.

If she thinks she can make you not watch football before you even get married, it will be 10 times worse after you are married. Men need to stand up and put a stop to this crap. You know that if you marry a woman who does not accept this important part of your life that you are going to be miserable. Is that really what you want? So what would you rather do: let her do and say whatever she wants right now let her drive you crazy for the rest of your life or until you can't stand it anymore, or not get married in the first place?

Fortunately, my wife is as big of a football fan as me....she's just a uat fan. But, you can't win 'em all.

Funny story, even though it's not a wedding story.

Our next door neighbors moved to Birmingham from Massachusetts. Nice, nice couple, even if they are Yankees. So we were talking in the yard, and he asks about our peculiar brand of football fantacism. I just say to him, "Chris, do yourself a favor and just pick a team. And I hope it's Auburn."

So later that fall, we invite our neighbors over for our Auburn/Alabama football watching party (which is Auburn fans only). The wife knows so little about football, that she had to look up the rules online before coming over. So we all are enjoying the pre-game chit chat, when the game comes on.

Suddenly, all these nice, upper middle class people come down with a raging case of Tourette's Syndrome. We're all cussing and yelling at the television without respite.

They left at halftime.

However, the next year, after Auburn's "sack Brodie" game, Chris met me in the yard. As it turns out, he went to an Alabama football watching party. How did he like it? "Oh, I see what you mean about Alabama fans. I wouldn't have believed it, but those guys were far worse than you Auburn fans."

Well let me just throw this one out there - I have my grandmother's 85th b-day party this Saturday from 2-4. Luckily the game doesn't come on until 3:30 here in my neck of the woods, other wise I may have been dubbed the black sheep of the family from here on out.

The coolest part about it is my mom, who doesn't watch any kind of football, said that I could possibly leave a little early if I came and set-up. Apparently she knows hom much I love Auburn football and how much this game means to me just from hearing me talk about Auburn non-stop over the years.

War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we were planning our wedding, it wasn't even an option for us to get married during the fall. However, my brother and his wife did get married this fall, her family is are huge Notre Dame fans (I know, strike one, two and three) so of course they got married on Notre Dame's bye weekend, unfortunately with no consideration for the rest of us who may be fans of a team who was playing!!

When we were planning our wedding, it wasn't even an option for us to get married during the fall. However, my brother and his wife did get married this fall, her family is are huge Notre Dame fans (I know, strike one, two and three) so of course they got married on Notre Dame's bi weekend, unfortunately with no consideration for the rest of us who may be fans of a team who was playing!!

bi weekend? seriously?

My in-laws are Au season ticket holders, when I got married last year we had to pick and away game(Oct 28 Ole Miss). I love my in-laws

Ok, I'll admit it...

Hi, my name is Tiger 1992, and I had a fall wedding.

My wife is from New York and went to a school that didn't even have a football team, so she obviously had no clue at the time of the importance of college football. We got engaged in the fall and she wanted to get married the next fall. She didn't want to get married in the summer due to the heat (Georgia). Ok, can't blame her there. I asked her to consider the following spring but she didn't want to wait that long. (Not that I can blame her - who wouldn't want to be married to me as soon as they could?)

Anyways...I tried to schedule it on our off weekend, but it was in November and she was afraid of what the weather might be like. I told her the only other option was the Auburn-Vandy game at Vandy, since I knew my friends and I wouldn't travel to that game anyways. I lucked out (so to speak) because the game wasn't on tv either. If I recall, UGA and Tech didn't have major games that weekend either so it worked out well for the non-AU invitees. And for the record, and I am biased, but our wedding reception was the best one I've ever been to - even my married friends have said the same and that's including their receptions. Gotta love the open bar.

Since then, my wife has come to understand the importance I place on football season even if she doesn't quite get it herself. Our anniversary this year was the same day as the Auburn-Florida game. So we went out for a nice dinner and a night to ourselves, right? Hell no - we went to a game viewing party at a friends. She didn't even flinch at the suggestion.

This past Saturday Mobile was blessed with a visit from Food TV Chef Bobby Flay. Bobby did two shows – on at 11AM that was mostly Bama fans and a 3PM show that was mostly Auburn fans. The city was also observing its annual Greek Festival and on either side of the music stage were giant screen TV’s that were showing the LSU game.

This one isn’t funny, but it’s true.

My grandmother died the week that Tubs was making his coaching debut at Auburn. The funeral was scheduled for that Saturday and we told some friends to take our tickets and go to the game.

At the wake, my mother came over and told me that my grandmother would have wanted me to go to the game. I told her I couldn’t do something like that. My mom said that her mother loved college football as much as I did and that it would honor her memory if we went.

My wife and my brothers got into the car with me and we drove to Auburn.

It wasn’t the most fun that I have had a game, but I’m still glad that I went. I’m sure my grandmother was happy too, even though she was an Alabama fan.

My wife agreed to be a hostess at a wedding & reception on Iron Bowl Saturday this year. She said, "you can tape it". I said, "I won't be at the wedding, and I'll see you at the reception... AFTER the game." We're not close friends with these folks anyway, my wife works with the Mother of the groom.

Archived