Keller's defamation lawsuit testimony

SCBusPilot

http://www.al.com/sportsflash/alabama/inde...orylist=alabama

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (AP) — An NCAA investigator testified that Alabama was not informed that Tide booster Logan Young had been fingered by at least six rival schools in the probe of illegal recruiting that landed the Tide football program on probation in 2002.

Rich Johanningmeier, the lead NCAA investigator in the Alabama case, said Alabama officials were not alerted to Young's apparent attempts to use cash to lure recruits because the late Memphis businessman "could have sabotaged the whole investigation."

"We had confidence in Alabama, but not confidence that anyone at Alabama could rein in Logan Young's influence," Johanningmeier said in a videotaped deposition.

His testimony was played Monday for a jury hearing former Alabama booster Ray Keller's defamation suit against the NCAA, The Birmingham News reported. Keller's attorneys, as they have through much of the trial, tried to show that Alabama was a victim unable to protect itself as the NCAA went after Young and swept in Keller in the process.

But Johanningmeier said the NCAA found Keller, a Stevenson businessman, was involved in the illegal recruitment of former North Jackson High prospect Kenny Smith, who signed with the Tide in 1996 but never enrolled because of academic problems.

NCAA attorneys also argued that Keller had long been a concern of Tide athletics directors, coaches and other boosters.

Recruiting analyst Tom Culpepper, who has been identified as a secret witness in the NCAA's case against Alabama, told Johanningmeier that while Young bragged of buying players to get them to attend Alabama, Keller "provided money once they got on campus."

Culpepper, in a taped interview played at the trial, said Keller considered that role his "Christian duty" and scoffed at NCAA regulations about providing extra benefits.

Johanningmeier, in his deposition played for the jury, said Culpepper first told the NCAA about parties for Tide football prospects, hosted by varsity players, that included strippers and "oral sex and sex of every kind" between the exotic dancers and prospects and players.

"http://www.al.com/sportsflash/alabama/index.ssf?/base/sports-12/1194369549267210.xml&storylist=alabama"

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (AP)  An NCAA investigator testified that Alabama was not informed that Tide booster Logan Young had been fingered by at least six rival schools in the probe of illegal recruiting that landed the Tide football program on probation in 2002.

Rich Johanningmeier, the lead NCAA investigator in the Alabama case, said Alabama officials were not alerted to Young's apparent attempts to use cash to lure recruits because the late Memphis businessman "could have sabotaged the whole investigation."

"We had confidence in Alabama, but not confidence that anyone at Alabama could rein in Logan Young's influence," Johanningmeier said in a videotaped deposition.

His testimony was played Monday for a jury hearing former Alabama booster Ray Keller's defamation suit against the NCAA, The Birmingham News reported. Keller's attorneys, as they have through much of the trial, tried to show that Alabama was a victim unable to protect itself as the NCAA went after Young and swept in Keller in the process.

But Johanningmeier said the NCAA found Keller, a Stevenson businessman, was involved in the illegal recruitment of former North Jackson High prospect Kenny Smith, who signed with the Tide in 1996 but never enrolled because of academic problems.

NCAA attorneys also argued that Keller had long been a concern of Tide athletics directors, coaches and other boosters.

Recruiting analyst Tom Culpepper, who has been identified as a secret witness in the NCAA's case against Alabama, told Johanningmeier that while Young bragged of buying players to get them to attend Alabama, Keller "provided money once they got on campus."

Culpepper, in a taped interview played at the trial, said Keller considered that role his "Christian duty" and scoffed at NCAA regulations about providing extra benefits.

Johanningmeier, in his deposition played for the jury, said Culpepper first told the NCAA about parties for Tide football prospects, hosted by varsity players, that included strippers and "oral sex and sex of every kind" between the exotic dancers and prospects and players.

Not naming names, but when one of my good friends in high school decided to go to uat in 2001 (he was a well-known player), I remember plain as day asking him why not Auburn.

"They just treated me better when I was down there."

This makes sense now.

Uh, this testimony is 7 years old. Why is it news now?

Well, the 'pinebox' comment is 9 years old and I hear it EVERY FRICKIN DAY!

Then stop bringing up Saban saying "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama"

;)

The two things that stand out to me are:

1. The testimony always refers to players (plural) that these guys paid. Logan Young used to buy the players then survey his livestock at Fall practice each year. It was never just about the Means case and paying that stiff and/or his coaches a six figure salary. You think Means was the only one receiving some spending cabbage in that class?

2. The NCAA was concerned that Bama couldn't rein in LY's influence. Translation: Leave Logan alone and don't rock the boat. This guy could throw the whole program under the bus.

7 Years ago Logan Young was the man, but you can be sure he has been replaced

by smarter quieter bag men who try to stay away from salad bowls. :poke:

The NCAA cares nothing about double jeopardy, due process, etc. This dark pink dirty laundry cannot be good for the Utaters.

It's not "new" dirty laundry. These testimonials are what we got put on probation for to begin with.

I thought that was obvious.

The more you stir #$*^, the more it stinks! Keller needs to quit stirring...that's all I'm sayin'

That's what I was thinking today as I read the article (Well...Not really, I was reading it hoping to hear about more Untold Cheating)...Because, I have never heard of the Illegal Recruiting on bammer's part with the Orgy Parties before today. That was a first for me... Wasn't that the same thing that got Colorado put on probation? I wonder what else Keller's going to vomit up?

The more you stir #$*^, the more it stinks! Keller needs to quit stirring...that's all I'm sayin'

That's what I was thinking today as I read the article (Well...Not really, I was reading it hoping to hear about more Untold Cheating)...Because, I have never heard of the Illegal Recruiting on bammer's part with the Orgy Parties before today. That was a first for me... Wasn't that the same thing that got Colorado put on probation? I wonder what else Keller's going to vomit up?

Those parties were mentioned specifically in the original NCAA ruling/report. It was also mentioned by whats his nuts when he did the whole "staring down the barrel of a gun" speech.

None of this trial will affect Bama unless a witness blurts out, "And it's still happening today!"

you know you don't want a kid when he's seriously wooed by tuscaloosa trim.

Trim was Southside Trim, btw.

The players hosting these things were NFL Players coming back to T-Town. They were hosted in apartments kept by Fernando Bryant and Antonio Langham. That was at least what one grad school student told me. He was good friends with one of the coaching staff and heard and saw it too.

Is there anyone here that really believes these antics have ceased at UAT? :thumbsdown:

3...2...1...BOOOM! :big:

Carroll testifies Keller paid him

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

By ALAN CLEMONS

Times Sports Staff alan.clemons@htimes.com

Ex-Tide linebacker says he received four payments

SCOTTSBORO - Video testimony from NCAA investigator Richard Johanningmeier included taped interviews with Tom Culpepper, Vicki Smith Dagnan and former Alabama linebacker Travis Carroll, all of whom provided details about disassociated Alabama booster Ray Keller of Stevenson.

Keller, a timber businessman from Stevenson, is suing the NCAA for defamation and invasion of privacy. That stems from the NCAA's investigation into the late 1990s recruitment of Albert Means of Memphis and Kenny Smith Jr., formerly of Stevenson. Keller is one of three boosters later disassociated by Alabama and the NCAA. Logan Young of Memphis, who died in 2006, and Wendell Smith of Chattanooga, are the others.

The trial in Jackson County Circuit Court is in its 12th day. More video testimony from former NCAA enforcement director Mark Jones and live testimony from former NCAA enforcement chief David Swank is expected today and Thursday.

Carroll saw significant playing time at linebacker in 1997, his freshman season, but was hampered by injuries and other issues. He transferred to the University of Florida. During an interview with Johanningmeier, he told about older Alabama players - primarily Fernando Bryant, who previously has been linked with Keller - who steered underclassmen to friendly boosters.

"I was always the tag-along," Carroll said, mentioning going to boosters' homes for meals. "Fernando was in touch with all of them. He pretty much knew everything that went on, with coaches or whatever. I know he was taken care of."

Carroll said Young was the "big cheese" in Memphis and that Keller gave him $400 in four separate incidents. Three were at Keller's daughter's apartment and one was at the Sheraton Four Points hotel, the team hotel at home games in Tuscaloosa where Keller and his family stayed. Keller has denied giving any money to Carroll or other players.

Culpepper, a former recruiting analyst from Chelsea, was the so-called "secret witness" who provided information to Alabama officials and Johanningmeier. Keller's attorneys are hammering on the NCAA's rule that anonymous or secret testimony cannot be used. The NCAA maintains that Culpepper was identified to Alabama officials during the investigation and no special exemptions were made.

During Johanningmeier's testimony, Culpepper indicated Keller introduced Young to Smith and also was helping players at Alabama.

"I don't think he was interested in helping a tuba player in the band," Culpepper said.

Culpepper said he knew nothing about Keller being involved with providing a car to players, with that "more from the rumor mill and nothing I had direct knowledge of." Johanningmeier said there was not enough specific evidence to link Keller with $20,000 given by Wendell Smith to Kenny Smith Jr.'s father.

But Smith's mother, Vicki Dagnan, said she secretly taped a conversation between her former husband, her son, Keller and Wendell Smith. The meeting supposedly happened after her son failed to qualify academically at Alabama and was being re-recruited.

Johanningmeier said higher-ranking NCAA officials decided to send the tape to a forensics lab to remove static and background noise. A transcript was shown to the jurors, with Wendell Smith allegedly telling Kenny Smith Jr., "You gonna be cared for" and offering about $15,000 a year if he re-signed with Alabama. Smith never played at Alabama or Tennessee, where he signed after qualifying.

Johanningmeier testified he believed Dagnan and her ex-husband to be credible enough because their accounts of dealings with Keller and Smith were consistent. Dagnan said her ex-husband primarily dealt with Keller and Wendell Smith, who she said was "not anybody I feel like you could trust. He talks two or three different ways to make people happy."

The part in RED is pure REC folks. From close personal information with several REC members that have admitted/bragged about it to me. Never thought I would see it in a newspaper though. Carroll better leave the state. There are a lot of Bammers gonna be after his blessed assurance. B) Its been a good day already...

How does the Travis Carroll (in late 90's) situation affect the Alabama Crimson Tide of today?

Help a brotha out here man.

It just exposes the real depth of the problem at bama. They might have got off light with the Logan Young crap. This lawsuit just blew up in their faces yesterday. If the NCAA had had this news back in 2002...

How does the Travis Carroll (in late 90's) situation affect the Alabama Crimson Tide of today?

It just exposes the real depth of the problem at bama. They might have got off light with the Logan Young crap. This lawsuit just blew up in their faces yesterday. If the NCAA had had this news back in 2002...

I hear ya. I'm sure if nothing else, it's like a general inspection in the military. All Alabama has done in their recent past, is GIVE the NCAA reasons to look closer.

When in an inspection, if you keep your nose clean consistently, clean your area and give them nothing to look at, they move on pretty easily and quickly. Give them ANYTHING to look at or put the white gloves on, and everything is getting scrutinized. Bama hasn't gotten that concept, and it's going to be a LONG time till thier out of it.

What in the hell are you talking about? It doesn't expose anything. THESE ARE ALL THE ALLEGATIONS THAT CAME OUT 8 YEARS AGO!

The Logan Young thing, the parties thing, and the Travis Carrol thing are all issues that you guys ragged us about 8 years ago.

Please stop acting like any of this is new information.

Good lord man.

What in the hell are you talking about? It doesn't expose anything. THESE ARE ALL THE ALLEGATIONS THAT CAME OUT 8 YEARS AGO!

The Logan Young thing, the parties thing, and the Travis Carrol thing are all issues that you guys ragged us about 8 years ago.

Please stop acting like any of this is new information.

Good lord man.

farkuskd2.jpg

"Cry little kid, Crrrryyyyyy!!!!" - Scott Farkus, "A Christmas Story"

CNN

2002 Alabama's Major Violations

Major findings cited by the NCAA Infractions Committee in imposing penalties on the Alabama football program Friday:

A recruit, identified in news reports as Kenny Smith, and his parents were given $20,000 in cash, lodging and entertainment by two Crimson Tide boosters beginning in 1995. The first payment of $10,000 was made in $100 bills delivered in a grocery bag. Smith signed with Alabama but couldn't meet academic requirements.

An Alabama booster previously identified as Logan Young of Memphis, Tenn., gave cash to a high school coach who was seeking $100,000 cash and two sport-utility vehicles in exchange for directing star recruit Albert Means to Alabama.

An assistant coach, former recruiting coordinator Ronnie Cottrell, received two loans totaling $56,600 from Young in violation of NCAA rules. The loan was not repaid until the case became known.

Two boosters involved in repeated rules violations were known to the Alabama staff, coaches and fans and often were seen at the team hotel during road games.

A recruit, identified previously as Travis Carroll, was given the use of a car in 1999 for agreeing to attend Alabama. The car

was repossessed when Carroll transferred to Florida.

CNN

2002 Alabama's Major Violations

Two boosters involved in repeated rules violations were known to the Alabama staff, coaches and fans and often were seen at the team hotel during road games.

We now know that it was 4 trips of $400 eachj if I am reading it right.

Archived