Is Talent the Only Problem?

rtftiger

This thread was inspired by thoughts on other threads and propigated by the Newspapers and Radio Talk Show hosts throughout Alabama.

Okay, so we keep hearing that Alabama's problem is talent. When Alabama loses to LSU, that makes alot of sense. However, when Alabama loses to Mississippi State, the problem has to be more than talent. Isn't it?

Or, are we saying that over that last four years, Mississippi State has outrecruited Alabama?

This thread was inspired by thoughts on other threads and propigated by the Newspapers and Radio Talk Show hosts throughout Alabama.

Okay, so we keep hearing that Alabama's problem is talent. When Alabama loses to LSU, that makes alot of sense. However, when Alabama loses to Mississippi State, the problem has to be more than talent. Isn't it?

Or, are we saying that over that last four years, Mississippi State has outrecruited Alabama?

I don't know. Why did AU lose to them?

BG, you were around for that. You know that we all said that coaching was to blame. Now, what was Alabama's problem?

BG, you were around for that. You know that we all said that coaching was to blame. Now, what was Alabama's problem?

I think it's a collection of problems. Mainly being that we had a freak turnover that went 103 yards for a TD. That play doesn't happen and we win the game. But JPW's such a head case right now, that throwing that INT pretty much knocked him out for the day.

Our defense played maybe the best it's played this year. Our kicking was absolutely the best it's been in years. Our running game managed 160 yards.

JPW just didn't bring it. Worst game of his career. I'm not as concerned about the INT as I was the 4 consecutive throw aways.

ALMOST time for uat to fire up the "Coach has gotta' go" talk....Almost....

Turnovers, just like you guys. Maybe they outrecruited both of us?

I think it's a collection of problems. Mainly being that we had a freak turnover that went 103 yards for a TD. That play doesn't happen and we win the game. But JPW's such a head case right now, that throwing that INT pretty much knocked him out for the day.

Our defense played maybe the best it's played this year. Our kicking was absolutely the best it's been in years. Our running game managed 160 yards.

JPW just didn't bring it. Worst game of his career. I'm not as concerned about the INT as I was the 4 consecutive throw aways.

We can understand. Cox had the worst game of his career yesterday, his other one was Miss. State, but I still think this was worse. He looked shocked at the end of the game. Our defense just fell apart!

As much as Cox struggled yesterday, his receivers didn't help him at all. That one INT bounced right off of Lester's hands and head. Should have been caught.

Exactly.

To me, it looked like Lester had already thrown in the towel. Looked pretty bad on his part.

We can understand. Cox had the worst game of his career yesterday, his other one was Miss. State, but I still think this was worse. He looked shocked at the end of the game. Our defense just fell apart!

The game against UGA last year far outweighs either game this year in terms of which was worse. I really dont even want to be discussing this, but the MSU game wasnt even as bad as the USF game IMO. The INT for TD against MSU really wasnt Cox's fault. But like I said, I dont really want to get into an argument about the worst games of Cox's career.

The problem UAT had is the same problem we had. If you make mistakes against MSU, they will make you pay (INT for TD and wins in each game.) Their QB made a boneheaded play. MSU counts on you to make mistakes, and when/if you do, they capitalize. They arent better than UAT or AU but they had a strategy that worked against both of us. Play mistake free football and wait for us to make a big mistake.

Easy...poor coaching. We sit on the ball every time we get a lead, even if it's a one point lead at the half. Pure and simple...poor coaching.

Now by that, I do NOT mean that I want to get rid of Tubs or anybody on the coaching staff...so don't start. But in the games we've lost, except for UGA, we arguably sat on the ball after we got the slightest lead.

:au::homer:

actually, we didn't sit on the ball against lsu (we scored on our last or second to last possession). we didn't sit on the ball against usf either (we score on our last possession in regulation). kinda hard to say we're sitting on the ball this year when the offense has scored late to get leads.

actually, we didn't sit on the ball against lsu (we scored on our last or second to last possession). we didn't sit on the ball against usf either (we score on our last possession in regulation). kinda hard to say we're sitting on the ball this year when the offense has scored late to get leads.

uh, i seem to remember us running out the clock with two timeouts and a minute or so to go in the usf game to take it to overtime. am i wrong?

uh, i seem to remember us running out the clock with two timeouts and a minute or so to go in the usf game to take it to overtime. am i wrong?

Do we seriously have to go back to this? We didnt even have a lead at the time anyway.

The loss to MSU might or might not have been poor coaching but it didnt have anything to do with sitting on a lead. We were down 13-0 before we knew what hit us.

ALMOST time for uat to fire up the "Coach has gotta' go" talk....Almost....

yeah, and when you start that thread then maybe you can talk all kinds of smack, then delete it when it doesn't happen. you seem to be pretty good at that.

Do we seriously have to go back to this? We didnt even have a lead at the time anyway.

The loss to MSU might or might not have been poor coaching but it didnt have anything to do with sitting on a lead. We were down 13-0 before we knew what hit us.

did i say anything about msu? in the usf game, i'm pretty damn certain i remember tubs deciding to play for overtime instead of trying to get points on the board and WIN THE GAME with about a minute left on the clock and two timeouts. i asked if i was wrong, because mcgufcm claims we didn't sit on the ball and that we scored on our last possession in regulation.

You didnt say anything about MSU. I was responing to SKCAUB's post in the 2nd paragraph.

FYI heres the last drive summary from the USF game

AU 4th A36 00:55 Kickoff A35 00:00 End of half 2--1 0:55

Form whatever opinions you want, but I just get tired of people arguing about stuff they can look up.

since that was indecipherable. here is the actual transcript of what we did with the ball.

Auburn at 0:42 USF AUB

1st and 10 at AUB 36 Brandon Cox pass incomplete to Tommy Trott. 20 20

2nd and 10 at AUB 36 Brandon Cox rush for a loss of 1 yard to the Aub 35.

End of 4th Quarter

we got it with 42 seconds. attempted one pass. missed. and decided to take it to OT. we were at least 30 yards away from being in field goal range, and we'd already turned it over 5 times. one was pick from basically the same place on the field earlier in the fourth that set them up inside the five yard line (they missed the 21 yard field goal).

maybe it's not the riskiest move, but it wasn't hyper-conservative. i wouldn't call that sitting on the ball. take a shot, if you don't get something going, don't kill yourself.

the turnovers and the kickoff return beat us in that one. not conservative playcalling. (35 pass attempts, 35 rush attempts).

Have to give ole Croom some credit where it is due - With two starting OL out, everyone who knows anything about Bama knows the right side has issues - Tubs sure knew it and exploited it in the Iron Bowl last year. This year the right side had been doing much better, but with the suspensions the same guys from last year are now filling in. Les Miles isn't a good enough coach to expoit it, Phat Fil wasn't smart enough to make a game time adjustment to go after it, but ole Croom took his shots! Both of the INT's came off pressure from the right side -

Why Bama lost... A depleted O-line, an average QB who had a bad day, and some questionable offensive play calling - both by the OC and by the QB not checking out of plays.

If Bama doesn't get the suspended players back for the Iron Bowl, the MSU game may look like a good game for Bama.......

The saddest part about all of this is that if MSU wins out against Arkansas (possible) and Ole Miss (very likely) they will actually finish second place in the west.... ouch

Archived