BookGate

AUdad4kicks

I have no new info. In fact was told that the suspended players were practicing. For our resident uat insiders. Is that true? Is there any chance in them playing?

I ask not because it makes a huge diference in outcome, but because of the implications with the NCAA. If they can play then there must be nothing to BookGate.

It's my understanding the players have been practicing all along. :thumbsdown:

It's my understanding the players have been practicing all along. :thumbsdown:

they have been practicing 99.9% with the scout team. i think Caldwell took a snap or two with the first string while Capps fixed something wrong with his pads the other day, but other than that, they have all been on scout team. btw, this is well within NCAA rules. they have been practicing with the team ever since they were suspended.

Any timeline on when a ruling (one way or the other) is expected? I thought that Bama official met w/ the NCAA before the Miss State game and news was supposed to follow shortly thereafter.

he said they might play against AU, but i honestly don't expect to see them again this season. they sound like they pretty much have it figured out, but i hope they will really really REALLY make sure before they make any decisions. i would rather lose every game we have left this season than play them and then that cause us some grief down the road.

NCAA Reinstates Eligibility of 5 Football Student-Athletes

Release: 11/17/2007

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama was informed this morning by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) that five football student-athletes who have been serving suspensions imposed by the University have had their eligibility reinstated effective at the conclusion of today’s game against the University of Louisiana-Monroe.

The five student-athletes – Marlon Davis, Antoine Caldwell, Chris Rogers, Glen Coffee and Marquis Johnson – were suspended by the University on October 20 due to improper receipt of textbooks. Earlier this week, the University submitted to the NCAA a report on an ongoing inquiry by the school regarding this situation. Today’s ruling was the NCAA’s response to that report.

-UA-

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D...;ATCLID=1321074

For me, it isn't necessarily an NCAA thing - it's Saban still allowing them to play. Letting cheaters/stealers play. Hmmmmm. Doesn't teach them much to let them play for the biggest game of the year IMO

How convenient.
The University of Alabama was informed this morning by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)

because the ncaa always does us favors.

I didn't say they did do you a favor. I simply commented on the convenience.

For me, it isn't necessarily an NCAA thing - it's Saban still allowing them to play. Letting cheaters/stealers play. Hmmmmm. Doesn't teach them much to let them play for the biggest game of the year IMO

I heard they smashed out a few police car windows with the textbooks they were selling. Oh wait that was that guy who headbutted the police car window. He still played, right?

Don't you know that its unfair to keep them from doing what they came to school to do? Just ask ol' Nicky.

these are college kids who took advantage of a system for a little extra cash something I am sure a large majority of college kids would of done themselves in a similar situation.

They did not holdup a bank or knock over a liquor store.

Don't you know that its unfair to keep them from doing what they came to school to do? Just ask ol' Nicky.

:slapfh:

these are college kids who took advantage of a system for a little extra cash something I am sure a large majority of college kids would of done themselves in a similar situation.

And another Bama fan says: "Its ok that they cheated."

And Albert Meins received just a little cash from a certain booster to make a little extra cash as well.

Don't make excuses - these kids know in advance that what they did was against the rules. They deliberately broke them on purpose. It's not like they got drunk and got arrested. That is not as bad because when you are drunk, you are having fun and just being stupid.

Holy cow, man.

No, they didn't hold up a bank or knock over a liquor store.

They just scammed the university that's letting them get a college education and play football for free. Wow, such an honorable offense.

Holy cow, man.

No, they didn't hold up a bank or knock over a liquor store.

They just scammed the university that's letting them get a college education and play football for free. Wow, such an honorable offense.

Although we still don't have an official explanation of what they did, the concensus opinion seems to be that they defrauded the system of money in some form or fashion. If so, it's still theft and theft from a government entity. It may not have the violent aspects of armed robbery (knocking off a bank or liquor store), but it's still a crime and, depending on the amount, could be a felony. Why isn't there more consideration of the legal ramifications instead of only the NCAA or internal UA/team violations?

Meanwhile, although these five can play again, the story's not over:

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20071117...17068/1016/NEWS

...Alabama is still investigating possible abuses by other athletes.

“There’s more to be done with the track [team] and other sports,” UA athletic director Mal Moore told The Tuscaloosa News. “It’s still an ongoing process.”

...looks like everything at UAT is a "process" these days. :big:

Why isn't there more consideration of the legal ramifications instead of only the NCAA or internal UA/team violations?

Because that would mean the school would press charges on their own football players. I'm pretty sure the BOT, Mal, and Saban would have something to say about that.

If they really did do the deed then they shouldn't be playing. It is as simple as that. I believe the NCAA has a rule on dollar amount of extra benefit when it comes to maintaining eligibility. They must have been under that. If so they just got lucky. There is no way they play this year. Maybe next, but not this year.

The other question has to do with the NCAA investigation issues. This has to put somewhat of a damper on the major violation talk.

But don't you remember, all they care about at uat is winning games. It doesn't matter that they have no integrity or discipline. Win at all costs. Why do you think he played Hall the second half yesterday? Likely cause hall's making too much money to make him sit on the bench. Wonder where the REC will put their stuffed elephants in Auburn saturday? payroll tide.

If they really did do the deed then they shouldn't be playing. It is as simple as that. I believe the NCAA has a rule on dollar amount of extra benefit when it comes to maintaining eligibility. They must have been under that. If so they just got lucky. There is no way they play this year. Maybe next, but not this year.

The other question has to do with the NCAA investigation issues. This has to put somewhat of a damper on the major violation talk.

Wll, at any other university they probably wouldn't be, but at uat discipline isn't exactly their strong point. In fact, they really haven't had any discipline at uat in the last 10 years or 5 coaches.

NCAA Reinstates Eligibility of 5 Football Student-Athletes

Release: 11/17/2007

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama was informed this morning by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) that five football student-athletes who have been serving suspensions imposed by the University have had their eligibility reinstated effective at the conclusion of today’s game against the University of Louisiana-Monroe.

The five student-athletes – Marlon Davis, Antoine Caldwell, Chris Rogers, Glen Coffee and Marquis Johnson – were suspended by the University on October 20 due to improper receipt of textbooks. Earlier this week, the University submitted to the NCAA a report on an ongoing inquiry by the school regarding this situation. Today’s ruling was the NCAA’s response to that report.

-UA-

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D...;ATCLID=1321074

It cracks me up that they were reinstated just in time for the Iron Bowl. I told my wife two weeks ago that they would become eligible "just in time" for the game. I have no idea what the situation was with Brad Lester, but it took nine months for him to regain eligilbility. Call it conspiracy theory if you want to, but it IS interesting.

Archived