Truth about Saban's press conference...

townhallsavoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the mood around the Alabama football team as "toxic" as it seems? Sounds like there are a LOT of unhappy players in T-town...

?

FWIW, from what i understand (don't take this as the Gospel, WC probably knows more) i think that's fairly accurate. it boils down to players not wanting to put forth the level of effort they are being asked to put forth. they are wanting to put forth the level of effort that THEY might happen to feel like putting forth. but its not ALL of the players, and i think that was the source of some of the talk in the locker room after the MSU game. you have a group of players not wanting the team to be the way it has the past few years, welcoming new change, and then you have a group wanting to keep it the way it was and very laxed. that comes from a few alumni i know down here, so as i said, WinCrimson might have a little better idea.

I haven't necessarily heard anything about players being "unhappy." And those that are have been so for a while and will likely move on. I think it's fair to say that the entire team is frustrated, as they should be.

This Saturday will show us who has pride and who doesn't. Win or lose.

he was talking about people wanting to change and how a catastrophic event can change people and change their character or spirit, and then referenced 9/11 and Pearl Harbor about how those catastrophic events changed the character of Americans. as far as football goes, i believe you can classify losing to ULM as a catastrophic football event. hopefully it can change the spirit of our guys. but from what i understand, i don't think it will happen.

as a fan i can see the spirit of the team is nil since the LSU game. its pretty obvious, and i agree with what he said. they're going to find out who wants to be on the team, and the ones who don't will not be there. the ones that don't want to put in the effort should be gone, and i think they will be. i know you guys want to blame it ALLLLLLLLLLLL on the coaching, because you hate CNS. but realistically you can't, and you know it. its everybody's fault really. the coaches can't make a player go tackle somebody if they don't want to. they can't make a WR run his route crisp if he doesn't want to. he can't make a lineman block if he doesn't want to. if the ethic isn't there, it isn't going to happen. that goes for players and coaches.

I understand what you are saying here and normally I'd actually agree. BUT, there is one glaring fact that you are overlooking. Last Year: 09-16-2006 uat - 41 Louisiana-Monroe - 7. Third game of the season, Pretty much the same players with possibly a few minor exceptions. ULM comes in this season with a LOSING record and finished 4-8 last year. The biggest difference between the two teams in the head coach. No matter how you look at it, that's the reality of this particular situation. How do these same players that last year ripped ULM, just forget how to block or run a route? This was game 11. Are you one of those uaters that believe saban (uat) lost this game intentionally? It seems that way by what you are saying here.

Realistically Saban's lack of motivation, coaching, discipline, is the reason uat lost this game. PERIOD.

he was talking about people wanting to change and how a catastrophic event can change people and change their character or spirit, and then referenced 9/11 and Pearl Harbor about how those catastrophic events changed the character of Americans. as far as football goes, i believe you can classify losing to ULM as a catastrophic football event. hopefully it can change the spirit of our guys. but from what i understand, i don't think it will happen.

as a fan i can see the spirit of the team is nil since the LSU game. its pretty obvious, and i agree with what he said. they're going to find out who wants to be on the team, and the ones who don't will not be there. the ones that don't want to put in the effort should be gone, and i think they will be. i know you guys want to blame it ALLLLLLLLLLLL on the coaching, because you hate CNS. but realistically you can't, and you know it. its everybody's fault really. the coaches can't make a player go tackle somebody if they don't want to. they can't make a WR run his route crisp if he doesn't want to. he can't make a lineman block if he doesn't want to. if the ethic isn't there, it isn't going to happen. that goes for players and coaches.

I understand what you are saying here and normally I'd actually agree. BUT, there is one glaring fact that you are overlooking. Last Year: 09-16-2006 uat - 41 Louisiana-Monroe - 7. Third game of the season, Pretty much the same players with possibly a few minor exceptions. ULM comes in this season with a LOSING record and finished 4-8 last year. The biggest difference between the two teams in the head coach. No matter how you look at it, that's the reality of this particular situation. How do these same players that last year ripped ULM, just forget how to block or run a route? This was game 11. Are you one of those uaters that believe saban (uat) lost this game intentionally? It seems that way by what you are saying here.

Realistically Saban's lack of motivation, coaching, discipline, is the reason uat lost this game. PERIOD.

i agree, we stomped ULM last season and we should have done so this season. if we could do it the third game of the season last year, we should certainly be able to do it now. i am not saying they forgot to block or run a route. what i am saying is that perhaps some players do not want to put the effort forth to block and run those routes. as i said, from what i was told, the effort being put forth is lackluster at best by certain players, and then others are working their asses off welcoming change. if they don't want to play well, they won't. also true, the coach should have a part in motivating them. but until THEY want it, then that is sort of useless. you can't hold a gun to their heads and tell them to care. i'm certain some players don't like CNS. i don't think that is a completely abnormal thing when you have a coaching change. where the strife occurs is when you have players who are welcoming new ways with open arms, because they are tired of losing. there is no unity in a situation like that.

i agree, we stomped ULM last season and we should have done so this season. if we could do it the third game of the season last year, we should certainly be able to do it now. i am not saying they forgot to block or run a route. what i am saying is that perhaps some players do not want to put the effort forth to block and run those routes. as i said, from what i was told, the effort being put forth is lackluster at best by certain players, and then others are working their asses off welcoming change. if they don't want to play well, they won't. also true, the coach should have a part in motivating them. but until THEY want it, then that is sort of useless. you can't hold a gun to their heads and tell them to care. i'm certain some players don't like CNS. i don't think that is a completely abnormal thing when you have a coaching change. where the strife occurs is when you have players who are welcoming new ways with open arms, because they are tired of losing. there is no unity in a situation like that.

So last year, under Mike Shula, they "wanted" to win to ULM, and this year under Saban they didn't? Wouldn't you surmise then that Saban is a worse coach than Shula? At least in terms of being a motivational leader?

So last year, under Mike Shula, they "wanted" to win to ULM, and this year under Saban they didn't? Wouldn't you surmise then that Saban is a worse coach than Shula? At least in terms of being a motivational leader?

i don't know if i'm just not coming across clearly, or if you're trying to slant it whatever way you want. the team wants to win. certain members of the team want pie in the sky and do not want to put forth the level of effort that CNS wants them to put forth. they want to put forth whatever effort they feel like putting forth because that is just part of their character. before, they have never been made to put forth the effort they are now being asked to have under CNS. then you have others on the team who are tired of losing, tired of the mediocrity, bottom line tired of the BS and want to go out there and show everybody what they can do. this group of people have bought into the system and philosophies CNS is trying to instill in the team. they are buying into the tough mentality that he is bringing. yes, it is his job to be a motivational leader. unfortunately, there are some people on the team that are not very good "people" if that makes sense. if these certain players do not like CNS, then i don't know how effective of a motivator you expect him to be. and what aggrivates me is alot of the reason some players don't like him is because maybe, for example, an underclassman has a better work ethic, better practices, and in the opinion of the coaches better talent than an upperclassman. some are just so absolutely shocked they actually have to compete for PT and let the best man win. so then they want to take their ball and go home. and they may have that opportunity after the season.

oh, and to answer WarTiger earlier:

no, i am not one of the people thinking this game was lost on purpose. i want to vomit uncontrollably anytime i hear that. i've heard that we're "sandbagging", etc etc etc so we can really stomp AU.

doubleyou

tee

eff

i still say the "CNS doesn't like some of the players and vice versa" excuse is complete BS kool aid. If that was true then why didn't he suspend Deadrick? Surely he is one of the problems, if he's not then i'd be worried.

i still say the "CNS doesn't like some of the players and vice versa" excuse is complete BS kool aid.

if you do not believe that is actually part of the problem, then you are misinformed. certainly not the WHOLE problem, but a good chunk of it from what i understand.

Bottom Line = Saban does not care about what the players or anyone else think about him.

There are some situations in which that is an admirable trait. However, when you are dealing with kids, in most cases it will lead to anything but success. He sees only the outcome of his decisions and has no regard for the people that are invovled. They are just parts of an equation and nothing more.

But he was not hired to care about anyone. Refer to my post back in August:

The TRUTH is, Alabama hired a NAME for the NAME. Period. It was a short-sighted, high-impact deal that was made for the IMMEDIATE "credibility" that Mal Moore felt like this would give your program. They don't give a rat's arse about 2 years from now.

It has NOTHING to do with winning games. It has NOTHING to do with winning championships. It has EVERYTHING to do with the surface-deep impression that your program is still a great program because that program could sign a great coach. And it has EVERYTHING to do with beating Auburn.

I'm sure Saban will win some games this year. But mark my words, if he does not beat Auburn this year or next year, he will be GONE the third year. That game is THE biggest game of the year for you guys. I don't care how much you guys deny it. If he loses to every other team and wins only one game...and that game is Auburn...then he has done what he was hired to do.

Pretty sad when you think about it. That much money for a NAME in high hopes to beat Auburn.

Bear Bryant was not a rockstar coach when he came to Alabama. He built his legacy over time. Right now, you guys are trying to hire and fire your way to a championship. Saban will be gone in 3 years.

Perfect timing to bring this back up for the Iron Bowl too.

Bottom Line = Saban does not care about what the players or anyone else think about him.

There are some situations in which that is an admirable trait. However, when you are dealing with kids, in most cases it will lead to anything but success. He sees only the outcome of his decisions and has no regard for the people that are invovled. They are just parts of an equation and nothing more.

But he was not hired to care about anyone. Refer to my post back in August:

The TRUTH is, Alabama hired a NAME for the NAME. Period. It was a short-sighted, high-impact deal that was made for the IMMEDIATE "credibility" that Mal Moore felt like this would give your program. They don't give a rat's arse about 2 years from now.

It has NOTHING to do with winning games. It has NOTHING to do with winning championships. It has EVERYTHING to do with the surface-deep impression that your program is still a great program because that program could sign a great coach. And it has EVERYTHING to do with beating Auburn.

I'm sure Saban will win some games this year. But mark my words, if he does not beat Auburn this year or next year, he will be GONE the third year. That game is THE biggest game of the year for you guys. I don't care how much you guys deny it. If he loses to every other team and wins only one game...and that game is Auburn...then he has done what he was hired to do.

Pretty sad when you think about it. That much money for a NAME in high hopes to beat Auburn.

Bear Bryant was not a rockstar coach when he came to Alabama. He built his legacy over time. Right now, you guys are trying to hire and fire your way to a championship. Saban will be gone in 3 years.

Perfect timing to bring this back up for the Iron Bowl too.

considering we just lost to ULM, i think that takes a bit of luster off of your "they only hired him JUST to beat AU" conspiracy theory. there are problems other than losing to AU going on right now. although the AU game is always a big game, and we obviously do not like losing 5 years in a row, i don't think he was hired for the sole purpose of beating only AU. now, what IF we did win this weekend? what if a team that lost to ULM at home came into JH Stadium and won? then will you be even more upset that he was hired?

now, what IF we did win this weekend? what if a team that lost to ULM at home came into JH Stadium and won? then will you be even more upset that he was hired?

I hate Alabama. I don't care who the coach is there I hate losing to Alabama in anything anytime.

So that is the answer from my perspective. The answer from the Alabama fan's perspective is if he beats Auburn, then he did what he was supposed to....you guys will be "back" and you will be talking about SEC Championships and National Championships again immediately.

Remember the whole: "We have an opponent in this state we will work 365 days blah blah" crap? Don't pretend like that is not objective #1 for Saban, especially since it was practically comment #1 out of his mouth when hired.

certain members of the team want pie in the sky and do not want to put forth the level of effort that CNS wants them to put forth. they want to put forth whatever effort they feel like putting forth because that is just part of their character.

But isn't it the job of the head coach to decide who to play? I mean, if you got a guy not giving effort, why play him? Send him a message to either get his act together, or he's riding the pine. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the whole excuse for losing to ULM as the players fault. This is all on Saban.

certain members of the team want pie in the sky and do not want to put forth the level of effort that CNS wants them to put forth. they want to put forth whatever effort they feel like putting forth because that is just part of their character.

But isn't it the job of the head coach to decide who to play? I mean, if you got a guy not giving effort, why play him? Send him a message to either get his act together, or he's riding the pine. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the whole excuse for losing to ULM as the players fault. This is all on Saban.

Agree, this whole players with attitudes excuse was used under shula. Are you telling me that the majority of the starters for Alabama don't have character and the will to win? Then we repeat, why doesn't he play some younger players who have fire and better attitudes? Or are they problems as well. This all boils down to Bama blaming Shula for their problems, if its not probation, then it must be shula. Well what's it gonna be next?

The Associated Press was probably doing some head scratching too -- they got a "clarification" from CNS's spokesman about the comments... in case anyone missed it:

Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event."

If the comparisons seem over the top, well, it is Iron Bowl week.

Saban didn't compare the embarrassing 21-14 loss to Louisiana-Monroe to those events, but picked those historical references to illustrate that this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9-11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

"What Coach Saban said did not correlate losing a football game with tragedy, everyone needs to understand that. He was not equating losing football games to those catastrophic events," football spokesman Jeff Purington said in a statement to The Associated Press. "The message was that true spirit and unity become evident in the most difficult of times. Those were two tremendous examples that everyone can identify with. "

Yeah, that sure "clarifies" it for me --- note to spokesman: he WAS comparing it to those events!

The Associated Press was probably doing some head scratching too -- they got a "clarification" from CNS's spokesman about the comments... in case anyone missed it:

Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event."

Saban didn't compare the embarrassing 21-14 loss to Louisiana-Monroe to those events, but picked those historical references to illustrate that this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9-11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

"What Coach Saban said did not correlate losing a football game with tragedy, everyone needs to understand that. He was not equating losing football games to those catastrophic events," football spokesman Jeff Purington said in a statement to The Associated Press. "The message was that true spirit and unity become evident in the most difficult of times. Those were two tremendous examples that everyone can identify with. "

Yeah, that sure "clarifies" it for me --- note to spokesman: he WAS comparing it to those events!

Wrong. He repeatedly talked about catastrophic events and how people change after catastrophic events, comparing his the players' loss to Pearl Harbor and 911. Sorry but, people were not jumping out of 38th floor windows on Saturday.

Wrong. He repeatedly talked about catastrophic events and how people change after catastrophic events, comparing his the players' loss to Pearl Harbor and 911. Sorry but, people were not jumping out of 38th floor windows on Saturday.

no, but they did jump out of double wides

Mark McCarter of the Huntsville Times believes Satan comparing the loss to

those events also. :au:

i don't know if i'm just not coming across clearly, or if you're trying to slant it whatever way you want. the team wants to win. certain members of the team want pie in the sky and do not want to put forth the level of effort that CNS wants them to put forth. they want to put forth whatever effort they feel like putting forth because that is just part of their character. before, they have never been made to put forth the effort they are now being asked to have under CNS. then you have others on the team who are tired of losing, tired of the mediocrity, bottom line tired of the BS and want to go out there and show everybody what they can do. this group of people have bought into the system and philosophies CNS is trying to instill in the team. they are buying into the tough mentality that he is bringing. yes, it is his job to be a motivational leader. unfortunately, there are some people on the team that are not very good "people" if that makes sense. if these certain players do not like CNS, then i don't know how effective of a motivator you expect him to be. and what aggrivates me is alot of the reason some players don't like him is because maybe, for example, an underclassman has a better work ethic, better practices, and in the opinion of the coaches better talent than an upperclassman. some are just so absolutely shocked they actually have to compete for PT and let the best man win. so then they want to take their ball and go home. and they may have that opportunity after the season.

First of all, if the problem lies in the players who are "shocked that they actually have to compete for PT" wouldn't this be the players who aren't getting PT??? So how did they lose the game from the bench?

Secondly, the fact remains that the only tangibly differing factor between this year and last year is the head coach. You would have no problem seeing this if the season turned out better, but because it turned out worse you have to find another scapegoat. So you throw the players under the bus.

Sad.

Just posted this on JohnDeere's thread, but realized it could go here too:

His exact words as quoted in the Huntsville Times:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil....xml&coll=1

Saban opened his press conference by saying, "Changes in history usually occur after some catastrophic event."

"It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to a catastrophic event," Saban said. "Pearl Harbor got us ready, you know, for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event. I don't think anybody in this room would have bet that we would have lost back-to-back games to Mississippi State and ULM, no disrespect to either one of those teams, and there is really a reason for that."

Even when resorting to such hyperbole, he then seems to diminish the significance of those two events with his bland modifiers: 9/11 "sort of" changed our spirit, Pearl Harbor got us ready for WWII "or whatever". If his talks to the team are equally muddled, no wonder they seem so dispassionate on the field.

oh, and to answer WarTiger earlier:

no, i am not one of the people thinking this game was lost on purpose. i want to vomit uncontrollably anytime i hear that. i've heard that we're "sandbagging", etc etc etc so we can really stomp AU.

doubleyou

tee

eff

First, I agree with my Tiger brethren that if a guy isn't putting forth 100%, WHY PLAY HIM? As a coach (especially the highest paid in the country) you should have the guts to make those tough decisions. Why do you think we are starting three true freshmen on the offensive line? There was a question of motivation among the upper classmen. CTT and Hugh Nall decided to go for attitude over experience. It is the COACH'S JOB (especially the highest paid in the country) to identify the problems and take steps to fix them. Not whine like a little five year old girl about the guys not putting out for him.

My second point would be, how much talent should it have taken to beat these guys in the first place. These players (even the ones with a bad attitude) should have been able to beat this team blindfolded with one hand tied behind their backs. I would say (regardless of what your savior Saban would have you believe) that this was a malfunction on all levels. This was a poor job of playing and coaching. Forget what you hear, it looks like the players have given up on the coaches and the coaches have given up on the players.

The only real excuse that would have worked is if he came out and said that they spent all last week putting in the game plan for the Auburn game. However, even then, they should have been able to win this game.

For this you guys paid $4million????

He did compare it to 9-11 and also to Pearl Harbor. He made the point that Pearl Harbor was in WWII. Like there was a question about it.

He is also over the history department. Gotta get all the mileage out of those commas that they can.

Maybe he took the movie "Animal House" too literally.

Stabler: Games over, man. ULM dropped the big one.

Saban: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Eli: Germans?

Hackbaum: Forget it, he's rolling.

Saban: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard]

Saban: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

Thanks Bluto...that was SOOOO inspiriing.... B)

:au::homer:

That was Eric Stratton, rush chairman...he was dam* glad to meet ya!

of course its AAAAALLLLLL on Saban....because you just want it to be. i don't expect you to understand, because i know you don't want to. the problem is when you have someone behind that bad apple that say is a freshman and really does not have the skill to play, you are kind of between a rock and a hard place. but then you have certain positions where you never know who is starting that game because there is a player with good skill behind that bad apple. then the bad apple gets all fussy because an underclassman deserves to play. some positions you just don't have the skill to put in front of that bad apple. if you think hard about a few positions on the team, you could probably figure out some of the folks who might not be around next season. bookmark this thread and lets revisit at a later time if you don't believe me. even when riding the pine players can be poisonous to the morale of the team. i'm not saying its ALL on the players. the coaches certainly share some of that blame. but as it is not right to 100% blame the players, it is not 100% the coaches fault either. try to be at least a little bit objective.

Oh, no I understand perfectly. And again, I ask, why play them if they are a "bad apple"? Wouldn't you want to play the guy who wants to play? How else will they get "skill" to play? And if he's such a bad apple, toss him.

And I am a firm believer that if the team wins, the coach gives credit to the players. If the team loses, the coach should be a man, and accept fault.

Edit to remove quotes.

Archived