Nick Saban

WAR-GIGEM-EAGLE

Alabama's latest loss has coach Nick Saban searching for ways to motivate his team. Citing the 9-11 terrorist attacks and Pearl Harbor, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Monday his team must rebound like America did from a "catastrophic event." In this case, that would be an embarrassing 21-14 loss Saturday to Louisiana-Monroe.

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said during the opening remarks of his weekly news conference. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...s.ap/index.html

to put a football game on that level. disrespectful to the victims and families of 9/11, and as a veteran myself i'm not too thrilled to hear a ball coach compare his players to my comrades who paid the ultimate price, much less the greatest veterans IMO to ever walk the earth (WWII)

does the guy think before he says things to the media?

I'm not sure where this came from but it was forwarded to me in an email. I think it's someone's blog -

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Off The Reservation

Over the last 11 months, the in-state media in Alabama has acted as an extension on Alabama coach Nick "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach" Saban's press office. While the national media has given Saban a richly-deserved pummeling for his apparently endless reservoir of obnoxious attitude, empty aphorisms and utter lack of character, the in-state press and delusional Alabama fan base (please forgive the redundancy) motored along spouting happy talk about the "Great Saban," and seldom was heard a discouraging word.

Until today. Here's Kevin Scarbinsky, the feature sports columnist of the Birmingham News:

"I've never heard, and I hope I've never made, a statement about college football as outrageous, over-the-top and offensive as the one Nick Saban made at his weekly press conference/psychology lecture Monday.

Listen. These were his words. His exact words.

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said. "It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to a catastrophic event. Pearl Harbor got us ready for World War II or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event.

"And I don't think anyone in this room would've bet that we would lose back-to-back games to Mississippi State or ULM, no disrespect to either one of those teams."

That's right. The head football coach at Alabama included the lost lives in New York, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and Hawaii with the lost games against Mississippi State and Louisiana-Monroe in his very serious discussion of "catastrophic events."

What historical tragedy will he reference Saturday when Alabama loses a sixth straight game to Auburn? The Holocaust?"

Here's radio host and Mobile Press-Register columnist Paul ******** , who led the charge to hire Saban, and who's been a relentless advocate for "Flipper" since January, going so far as to call Alabama's loss to LSU "inspiring" in a remarkably silly (and well-parodied) column a few weeks ago:

"That sound you heard late Saturday afternoon was Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave. Nearly a quarter century after his death, his beloved football program has seemingly fallen and it can't get up.

On Saturday, against a directional school from northeast Louisiana, one who plays in a league whose champion earns an automatic berth into something called the New Orleans Bowl, the Tide(tanic) hit another iceberg, shredding this season into four million pieces and raising questions for the first time whether Nick Saban has a solid handle on his job as head football coach at Alabama.

Saban warned the Alabama faithful in the offseason that booing is bad for business. He repeated that admonition at every stop on the rubber-chicken circuit. However, based on Saturday's embarrassing scene, it appears the fans now pay about as much attention to him as his Alabama players.

Do you think Saban will be able to go into the home of top recruits and make a case that Alabama is a program built on class, integrity and discipline?

Saban also appeared to be throwing his senior class under the bus in his post-game comments by saying part of the problem could be a "pattern of personality." He said the problems now seem to be the same ones that cropped up in the past.

Translation: This is Mike Shula's fault.

Well, no it isn't, Nick. This has happened on your $32 million watch.

So what's the problem here?

Saban said he stressed all week that you can't take a team like this lightly. Well, apparently, they didn't listen. Why not?

Could it be the team has tuned out the master of the process? Could it be they don't care what he has to say any more? Or perhaps, they simply can't relate to a coach who makes so much money and who has crisscrossed the nation the last few years like an Amway salesman.

One could assume that's the case with DJ Hall, the team's most talented offensive weapon. Hall didn't play in the first half (Saban said he violated team rules), but with Alabama struggling at halftime, Saban suddenly decided that Hall's suspension was over.

Asked for an explanation afterward, Saban said: "It was what it was?"

Huh?

When a reporter challenged him, Saban silenced him like a stern father talking to a teenager asking for his car keys a second time.

At least Saban could been honest and said, "Hey man, I'm trying to win the stupid football game. Aight! That's what you people are paying me $4 mil to do."

Here's Huntsville Times columnist Mark McCarter:

"Not long ago I interviewed a former NFL player who was casually talking football with a friend on the 94th floor of a World Trade Center tower when the phone line suddenly went dead. "If there's a blessing, he never knew what hit him," the ex-player said of his friend, whose office was struck by the nose of a hijacked plane.

The ex-player lost his New York apartment near the World Trade Center and 150 people that he personally knew. I don't think he'd ever equate that with any games he lost.

Nick Saban did so on Monday.

Saban arrived with a rich reputation for his insensitivity. Usually it's directed toward media or minions.

On Monday, that insensitivity stretched well beyond the protected confines of his kingdom when he concocted such an insulting, ill-advised analogy. An experienced, expensive coach has to do better.

Maybe Saban was just too wrapped up in emotion and hyperbole. Maybe, like some fourth-and-two play, he didn't give it enough thought. Maybe it was dramatic effect. Maybe it was self-preservation, a bold statement to a fan base where some are already second-guessing the investment.

Whatever the reason, to borrow from his war-time comparisons, Nick Saban bombed."

Sounds like somebody has worn out his welcome. I'm guessing the off-season of 2008 just might be a bit different from the extended Nick Sucking honeymoon of 2007.

How many times has this line been written?

"That sound you heard late Saturday afternoon was Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave"

Why not just say he has spinning constantly for the last 25 years, it would be news if he wasn't.

Sounds like somebody has worn out his welcome. I'm guessing the off-season of 2008 just might be a bit different from the extended Nick Sucking honeymoon of 2007.

"Nick Sucking"? Now that's funny.

I'm glad we have ole Saint Nick to thank for having brought in Ole Satan Nick. And doesn't every little boy in Alabama grow up wanting to play for the tahd ? Seriously, I'm a retired Army Officer and I was shocked at his ass i nine comments. What a jerk and dummass.

I would hope that some people here have actually been to college and at least learned the difference between a direct comparison and the analogy that was made. Or maybe took enough time to actually read or watch what was said.

This is absolutely a continuation of the biggest overblown bunch of crap I have ever read, and I am not simply defending Saban because he is the Alabama head coach. If he had actually said something that was truly downgrading those events or overplaying the Alabama game, I would be pissed as well. The fact is that what he said isn't even remotely offensive.

He did not COMPARE a damned thing, or even equate the loss with the tragedies mentioned. What the man said was that catastrophic events often cause people to unite. People need to quit being offended by everything or we as a nation are going to be destroyed by semantics. Furthermore, Nick Saban is a football coach, not someone with the lives of the free world in his hands. Who honestly gives a crap?

I can understand why some on this board revel in anything that could be construed as negative for the University of Alabama, but please don't fall into this pile of crap reporting and spin on a harmless statement. I read people here constantly moaning about a perceived anti-Auburn media, or an anti-SEC/South media. The fact is, the media is anti-everyone. As long as they sell their precious papers and airtime they could care less about ethics, bias, context, or any other tenet of journalism. There are few journalists left in this world. There are mostly sensationalists, columnists, and hacks seeking attention.

I would hope that some people here have actually been to college and at least learned the difference between a direct comparison and the analogy that was made. Or maybe took enough time to actually read or watch what was said.

This is absolutely a continuation of the biggest overblown bunch of crap I have ever read, and I am not simply defending Saban because he is the Alabama head coach. If he had actually said something that was truly downgrading those events or overplaying the Alabama game, I would be pissed as well. The fact is that what he said isn't even remotely offensive.

He did not COMPARE a damned thing, or even equate the loss with the tragedies mentioned. What the man said was that catastrophic events often cause people to unite. People need to quit being offended by everything or we as a nation are going to be destroyed by semantics. Furthermore, Nick Saban is a football coach, not someone with the lives of the free world in his hands. Who honestly gives a crap?

I can understand why some on this board revel in anything that could be construed as negative for the University of Alabama, but please don't fall into this pile of crap reporting and spin on a harmless statement. I read people here constantly moaning about a perceived anti-Auburn media, or an anti-SEC/South media. The fact is, the media is anti-everyone. As long as they sell their precious papers and airtime they could care less about ethics, bias, context, or any other tenet of journalism. There are few journalists left in this world. There are mostly sensationalists, columnists, and hacks seeking attention.

If you can put a spin on this that will actually hold water then the University of Alabama's media relations department is looking for a few hundred good men.

Actually they have come out and explained Nick's comments. If you have to have your PR guys spin it has to be in bad taste.

All Nick needed to say is I told you before the game that we could not overlook these guys while looking ahead to Auburn. Instead he just made Mike Prices's handling of room service look like a donation to under-privileged women.

No, he doesn't have the lives of the free world, he only has the lives of the 17 to 22 year old young adults in his hands. And he is setting a fine example by being an ASS everytime a reporter asks him something he doesn't like and playing suspended players because the game is close. All this then he goes off about reporters and fans making it all about winning instead of doing the right thing. Jeez, give me a break.

You think we are bad, you should have watched ESPN 2 minute drill today and several other sports shows, they were harder on CNS than any of us have been. Seems like he needs to think before he talks. No reference should ever have been made to these catastrophic events, he could have just said bad times can have a positive effect on people and cause them to unite. He got himself into this by not using his brain.

No he does not...His problem is that he is used to hero worship so since he is considered a god like figure he thinks he can say or do anything.

I almost agree with you. I'm so close to agreeing with you that I could damage my relationship with my fellow Tigers. So close that I could fall out of the Saban Fiesta on this board.

But there's one problem. Catastrophic events DO cause people to unite. There was nothing "catastrophic" about ULM. That's the problem. If he would have said, "sometimes you have to hit the lowest of the low before you realize what the real problems are," then I'd be defending him right now. If he would have said, "sometimes it takes the worst possible scenario to make people wake up," then I'd be on his side. But he didn't. He goes on a rant about catastrophies bringing people together, and he only insinuated that ULM should bring the team together.

Another potential problem is the fact that Saban has thrown his players under the bus, which tells me he doesn't give a damn if an actual catastrophe does happen to them. He doesn't want unity - I think he wants chaos. I think he wants his team to be in such shambles that he has the ability to run a bunch of them off. Then he starts over from scratch.

I understood his message very clearly. The message wasn't bad. It was just poorly delivered. Maybe he should hire a speech writer? Saban obviously hasn't learned the valuable lesson of "keep your damn mouth shut" from Belichek.

He did not COMPARE a damned thing, or even equate the loss with the tragedies mentioned. What the man said was that catastrophic events often cause people to unite.

Sorry, dude, but he did COMPARE them. He did not EQUATE them. It was stupid to do either.

Nick Saban is a football coach, not someone with the lives of the free world in his hands. Who honestly gives a crap?

Well, the sporting world gives a crap because you morons made him the HIGHEST PAID football coach. Too bad the "he's just a football coach" logic didn't carry the day when you guys engaged in that pathetic courtship of him last year.

regardless of Saban's intent, the message received by the public offended many of them.

a simple heartfelt apology would go a long way toward helping.

a question for you:

is this worse than the "coon-***" comment in terms of bad PR?

regardless of Saban's intent, the message received by the public offended many of them.

a simple heartfelt apology would go a long way toward helping.

a question for you:

is this worse than the "coon-***" comment in terms of bad PR?

And remember, when I said after the coonass statements that he was showing a pattern of embarrassing your university that I didn't predict would end soon or end nicely? Look at how mild his offenses at that time seem in comparative retrospect. I was right then, and I firmly believe that he's going to embarrass you ten fold in the future. It will be a constant downward spiral. And I will enjoy every minute of it.

$4 million well spent, bammers.

Archived