Coaching Carousel

quietfan

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7496470

Going for a ride on the coaching carousel

JAMIE NEWBERG

Scout.com, Updated 15 hours ago

There is nothing like a good game of dominos. That's exactly what we're going to witness as we watch the coaching carousel chug along over the coming days and weeks in college football.

It's actually already begun, as Texas A&M and Ole Miss quickly found their new head coaches. That's the thing — if you make a move at the top, you better have a plan for who you want to bring in and execute it as quickly as possible because things are moving fast. Already there have been coaching moves at Arkansas, Ole Miss, Michigan, Baylor, Nebraska, SMU, Washington State, Georgia Tech, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois, Colorado State and Duke. And it's far from being over.

Let the games begin.

Arkansas

Out — Houston Nutt (75-48)

Nutt stepped down Monday after 10 seasons at the University of Arkansas. He took the Razorbacks to seven bowl games (would have been eight had he stayed). He is coming off a huge win over then-No. 1 LSU. In 15 seasons as a head coach, Nutt is 111-70. His Arkansas teams won or shared three SEC West titles. Nutt hopes his departure will help bring the Arkansas fans together once again after a poor start in SEC play this season and the off-the-field soap opera with former players and offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn.

Candidates — Butch Davis (North Carolina), Tommy Tuberville (Auburn), Mike Leach (Texas Tech), Paul Johnson (Navy), Will Muschamp (Auburn), Jimbo Fisher (FSU), David Cutcliffe (Tennessee)

It is apparent that the top two candidates at Arkansas are Butch Davis and Tommy Tuberville. Can the Hogs lure away one of these big fish? It's going to be difficult, although the Razorbacks will make it very difficult for Davis to say no. Davis played college football at Arkansas for Frank Broyles and would love to come back. But is the timing right right now? If not, look for the Hogs to make a big pitch for Leach. He was with Jeff Long (new Arkansas AD) at Oklahoma. Tuberville is also a possibility but his hefty buyout will make it a tough pill to swallow for anyone. If the Razorbacks strike out on Davis, Tuberville and Leach, they will work their way down the list.

Baylor

Out — Guy Morriss (18-40)

Morris was fired on November 8th, after Baylor's 12th consecutive losing season. The Bears also lost 12 consecutive Big 12 games. Baylor, with all the talent the state of Texas can produce, grossly underachieved under Morriss.

Candidates — Art Briles (Houston), Larry Fedora (Oklahoma State)

Baylor will talk with Art Briles on Tuesday. He is thought to be the leader at this time but he could also slow play the Bears. He would love the Texas Tech job, if Leach bolts for Arkansas or another job. Briles was in Lubbock before he became the head coach of the Cougars five years ago. The Bears would love to land former player Mike Singletary but he insists that he wants to stay in the NFL. Former Baylor assistant coach Larry Fedora could emerge as a strong candidate if Briles or the Bears go in another direction.

Duke

Out — Ted Roof (6-45)

Roof spent three-plus seasons running the show for the Blue Devil football teams. This is a good coach who recruited well for Duke but just couldn't get things going in Durham. The Blue Devils have lost 25 straight ACC games and have endured three consecutive winless seasons in league play since they upset Clemson in November 2004.

Candidates — Chan Gailey, David Cutcliffe, Terry Bowden, Steve Logan (Boston College offensive coordinator), Paul Johnson

Although it's still early, new names will appear with this job. They would like a guy with head-coaching experience.

Georgia Tech

Out — Chan Gailey (44-32)

How do you get fired after taking Georgia Tech to six straight bowl games and never having a losing record? That's what Gailey did for the Yellow Jackets, yet they fired him on Monday. AD Dan Radakovich wants Georgia Tech to take the next step and thinks there is someone out there who can do just that.

Candidates — Will Muschamp, Jimbo Fisher, Randy Edsall (UConn), Doug Marrone (New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator), Chris Hatcher (Georgia Southern)

The theme here could be prior relationships, as Radakovich came to Georgia Tech from LSU. So he has a relationship and comfort level with two young coordinators out there in Will Muschamp and Jimbo Fisher, who were both Tigers while Radakovich was at LSU. Add to the fact that Tech doesn't have a ton of money like some other schools and it makes sense that they will go get an up-and-comer. Edsall and Marrone have ties to the Georgia Tech program, as they were both assistants for George O'Leary while he was there. There is also some thought that they want an offensive-minded guy and Hatcher could be a nice fit in Atlanta.

Michigan

Out — Lloyd Carr (121-40)

Carr has decided to retire after 13 seasons in Ann Arbor, winning one national championship and five Big 10 titles.

Candidates — Les Miles (LSU), Bob Stoops (Oklahoma), Kirk Ferertz (Iowa), Brian Kelly (Cincinnati), Mike Trgovac (Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator), Ron English (Michigan offensive coordinator), Mike DeBord (Michigan offensive coordinator)

The Wolverines interviewed current Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English on Monday and were scheduled to speak with current offensive coordinator Mike DeBord on Tuesday. It has been common knowledge that LSU coach Les Miles would like to become Carr's successor, but Miles may not be the top target — at least not just yet. There is some speculation that Michigan may make a run at Bob Stoops, but he will likely stay at Oklahoma. Brian Kelly is well respected in the state of Michigan with the job he did while at Central Michigan and he could emerge as a top candidate. Mike Trgovac, the current defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers, played at Michigan and coached there in the mid-80s and he could be a strong possibility as well. It is also rumored that Michigan may want a chance to speak with Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. But I truly believe that Michigan will go out and get a big name and I think when the dust settles it will likely be Miles, especially with LSU out of the national title picture.

Nebraska

Out — Bill Callahan (27-22)

Callahan was a disaster in Lincoln, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Two of his four seasons were below .500 and, at Nebraska, that's simply not acceptable.

Candidates — Bo Pelini (LSU defensive coordinator), Turner Gill (Buffalo), Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

Pelini is the hot name in Lincoln. Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne and Pelini have already met in Baton Rouge. The Cornhuskers would like someone who knows the program and what it takes to be successful at Nebraska. Pelini was there as an assistant. It would be quite a coup if Osborne could attract both Pelini as his head coach and Gill as his offensive coordinator. Jim Grobe would be a great hire in Lincoln, as his schemes and style would be a great fit at Nebraska. After Osborne and Pelini met in Baton Rouge, he flew to Atlanta, where it is believed Osborne interviewed Gill and Grobe a few days ago.

Ole Miss

Out — Ed Orgeron (10-25)

Coach O only had three seasons in Oxford. He brought in a lot of talent but couldn't get it done on the field. The Rebels went 0-8 this season in SEC. Recent off-the-field problems with players also contributed to his demise.

New Head Coach — Houston Nutt

I always said that if Ole Miss let Coach O go, someone would inherit a talented football team. Enter coach Nutt, who looks like he will be a nice fit in Oxford. He brings experience and he knows the SEC. Nutt also did a nice job of developing talent while at Arkansas.

SMU

Out — Phil Bennett (18-48)

Bennett was fired midway through his fifth season at SMU.

Candidates — Terry Bowden, Dirk Koetter (Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator), Paul Johnson, Gary Barnett

Steve Orsini, SMU's AD, will likely want to attract a big-name coach. You will hear former Auburn coach Terry Bowden's name a lot in the coming days and weeks and this could be his destination. Dirk Koetter, Paul Johnson and Gary Barnett are other possibilities right now.

Southern Miss

Out — Jeff Bower (119-82-1)

Bower's long-time marriage with Southern Miss is now over and it doesn't appear that it ended well with his resignation Monday. He spent a total of 29 years at Southern Miss as a player and coach. He was their head coach for 17 years. Bower had 14 consecutive winning seasons at Southern Miss.

Candidates — Larry Fedora, Tyrone Nix (South Carolina defensive coordinator), John Thompson

It's early, but two names you may hear are Tyrone Nix and Larry Fedora. Nix, the former USM player and coach, is now the defensive coordinator at South Carolina. Fedora is considered one of the bright, young offensive minds in the game and he's currently the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State.

Texas A&M

Out — Dennis Franchione (32-28)

What a disappointment coach Fran was while at A&M. Food for thought was that he would turn the Aggie program into a big-time winner. It never happened as Texas A&M underachieved under his regime. Coach Franchione didn't help matters with his secret newsletters that were sent to prominent boosters.

New Head Coach — Mike Sherman

Sherman had two stints in College Station (1989-93, 1995-96) as an offensive line coach under R.C. Slocum. He spent the last two seasons as the Houston Texans offensive coordinator. Sherman became the Green Bay Packers head coach in 2000. They went 59-43 and won three NFC North titles in his six seasons. The Aggies hope this move will be as good as what happened in Boston College this past season, as they hired Packer offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. With the game being dominated by high-powered offenses, especially in the Big 12, this appears to be a nice move by Texas A&M.

Washington State

Out — Bill Doba (30-29)

It was believed that Doba was on the hot seat entering this season, after finishing 6-6 last year. Doba's best year was his first in Pullman, when he went 10-3. Since then he went 20-26 overall and 17-25 in Pac 10 play.

Candidates — Mike Price, Ken Gregory (Cal. defensive coordinator), DeWayne Walker (UCLA defensive coordinator), Bobby Hauck (Montana), Roby Akey (Idaho)

The big talk right now at Washington State is getting back former Cougar coach Mike Price. Is there any truth to that happening? We will find out shortly. Other possibilities are Ken Gregory (Cal defensive coordinator), DeWayne Walker (UCLA defensive coordinator), Bobby Hauck (Montana Head Coach), and Roby Akey (Idaho Head Coach).

Other coaching notes

There is some speculation that Kentucky coach Rich Brooks could step down and retire. If that happens, Wildcat offensive coordinator Joker Phillips could be the next UK coach... It appears UCLA's Karl Dorrell will coach his last game Saturday at USC. He has had five mediocre seasons for the Bruins. Early names for the UCLA job, if it opens, are Chris Peterson (Boise State), DeWayne Walker (UCLA defensive coordinator), Mike Leach (Texas Tech), Mark Mangino (Kansas) and Steve Mariucci.

I'm far more nervous that GT & Arkansas want Muschamp than Tubs.

Ar-Kansas' Rivals site says their 2 front runners are CTT and Lane Kiffin, both of which i find highly unlikely. they don't have CWM under their "also under strong consideration" section even, but i don't see why not. i had heard that neither CWM or CAB would be back after this season, but it wouldn't be because they were fired or asked to leave by AU, it would be to pursue other opportunities. what are your thoughts on the chances of that actually happening?

I'm far more nervous that GT & Arkansas want Muschamp than Tubs.

Ar-Kansas' Rivals site says their 2 front runners are CTT and Lane Kiffin, both of which i find highly unlikely. they don't have CWM under their "also under strong consideration" section even, but i don't see why not. i had heard that neither CWM or CAB would be back after this season, but it wouldn't be because they were fired or asked to leave by AU, it would be to pursue other opportunities. what are your thoughts on the chances of that actually happening?

I'm not saying it won't, but I doubt it. I could see Muschamp leaving for a head coaching job, but I don't see Borges going anywhere. Pretty much the entire offense next year will be players recruited under Borges. From all accounts, when Kodi Burns committed, Borges was as happy as a kid at Christmas. He has always wanted a mobile QB with a big arm and he has it now. I think he gets a years reprieve to develop an offense around Burns. If our production next year is in the same ballpark as this year, I think he'll have the moving van in his yard and won't have to worry about it.

Archived