LSU gives Miles permission

TigerOne

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Michigan athletics officials asked for and received permission from LSU to meet with Les Miles about the Wolverines' head football coaching vacancy.

LSU athletic director Skip Bertman granted the request on condition that Michigan representatives wait until after Saturday's Southeastern Conference championship game in Atlanta before starting negotiations, LSU spokesman Herb Vincent said

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/11/lsu_gr...mission_to.html

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Michigan athletics officials asked for and received permission from LSU to meet with Les Miles about the Wolverines' head football coaching vacancy.

LSU athletic director Skip Bertman granted the request on condition that Michigan representatives wait until after Saturday's Southeastern Conference championship game in Atlanta before starting negotiations, LSU spokesman Herb Vincent said

Talked to my LSU son tonight and he said everyone down there thinks he will get the job and leave. They say that Rich Rodriguiz (sp) is tops on their list if Miles leaves. Said RR said that if he ever left WV it would be for LSU and one other school but I can't remember which one. He said the talk shows down there are all over this and saying the same thing too.

They haven't liked Les Miles until the end of last season. This season gave Miles the chance to "prove his worth" to LSU fans. Two losses later, they're very ok with him leaving.

I've never thought Les Miles was a bad coach. He makes some bonehead decisions, but he's by no means mooching off of Nick Saban. Michigan will do well with him. I think LSU's expectations of Miles were way out of whack.

As for Rich Rodriguez going to LSU, that scares me. Perriloux is a very athletic quarterback and we all know they have a slew of talented running backs returning. I think Rodriguez would be able to come in and be immediately successful as his style of players are already there.

Talked to my LSU son tonight and he said everyone down there thinks he will get the job and leave. They say that Rich Rodriguiz (sp) is tops on their list if Miles leaves. Said RR said that if he ever left WV it would be for LSU and one other school but I can't remember which one.

I think it was Louisiana-Monroe

As for Rich Rodriguez going to LSU, that scares me. Perriloux is a very athletic quarterback and we all know they have a slew of talented running backs returning. I think Rodriguez would be able to come in and be immediately successful as his style of players are already there.

That is what the son says too. Rich does the spread offense and Perriloux is tailor made for that kind of offense. He is probably more likeable than Miles too.

Do you think CRR will really go through another episode like the one last year? Especially since their team will likely be playing for a Nat'l Championship. I get the feeling that if LSU comes knocking, he's not going to answer.

I kind of look at the Rich Rod rumors like Spurrier ones....rumors that have no basis but make for a better rumor or news article.

I just don't think RR leaves WVU...Bama threw everything at him and he said no...I think he would do the same to LSU

I kind of look at the Rich Rod rumors like Spurrier ones....rumors that have no basis but make for a better rumor or news article.

I just don't think RR leaves WVU...Bama threw everything at him and he said no...I think he would do the same to LSU

I thought Rodriguez had originally agreed in principle to take the Bama job. He then changed his mind and stayed.

I can see him leaving WVU for LSU. WVU is that last choice for the NC. The only reason why they have a shot is because so many teams have lost. I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more ESPN experts calling for Ohio St to go instead of WVU if Missouri should win this weekend.

I thought Rodriguez had originally agreed in principle to take the Bama job. He then changed his mind and stayed.

I can see him leaving WVU for LSU. WVU is that last choice for the NC. The only reason why they have a shot is because so many teams have lost. I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more ESPN experts calling for Ohio St to go instead of WVU if Missouri should win this weekend.

Actually, if they hadn't blown it against USF, they would have been the obvious choice.

Agreed but I think that since RR is a WVU Alumni and his wife is from WVU that they both want to stay there for the long-haul.

WVU is gaining more and more national respect every year that they stay up in the rankings, imo.

Awesome that we got to jump start that :puke:

Actually, if they hadn't blown it against USF, they would have been the obvious choice.

Actually, if they had won every game for the last five years, they'd be considered one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

BUT, they lost one game to USF and were out of the national title talk until about two weeks ago. If LSU, Kansas, Ohio St, Boston College, Oregon, Arizona St, and hell, even Oklahoma - if any of those teams didn't lose within the last three weeks, WVU would be an afterthought. Think about how many teams in the top ten lost since week 6. From week 6 to week 11 WVU moved up from 9th to 7th. Sound like the obvious choice? It wasn't until LSU, Oregon, Kansas, and Oklahoma lost that WVU moved up to #2.

Actually, if they had won every game for the last five years, they'd be considered one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

BUT, they lost one game to USF and were out of the national title talk until about two weeks ago. If LSU, Kansas, Ohio St, Boston College, Oregon, Arizona St, and hell, even Oklahoma - if any of those teams didn't lose within the last three weeks, WVU would be an afterthought. Think about how many teams in the top ten lost since week 6. From week 6 to week 11 WVU moved up from 9th to 7th. Sound like the obvious choice? It wasn't until LSU, Oregon, Kansas, and Oklahoma lost that WVU moved up to #2.

Well, sure, if he was in the SEC and went undefeated he'd be a lock for the MNC...uh, nevermind. B)

The flipside is, he's more apt to lose in the SEC even with more talent. But the more success he has, the more talent he attracts to Morgantown-- he got Noel Devine.

It's tough to win the MNC anywhere. It's also tough to live with unreasonable expectations. LSU, Bama, UF, and increasingly AU, have unreasonable expectations. He's on the cusp of achieving mythical status in WVA. The goodwill he earns will buy him forgiveness there-- the success he's had at WV only buys him expectations anywhere else.

I think he'd be a fool to leave for LSU. But he may tell himself he can achieve even more there. We'll see...IF that job opens up.

We only offered him a little over 2 million. You can bet if we would have offered him 3 or 4, he would be our coach today. We only offered him because we panicked and didn't think Saban wanted to leave Miami. It is all about money these days......

We only offered him a little over 2 million. You can bet if we would have offered him 3 or 4, he would be our coach today. We only offered him because we panicked and didn't think Saban wanted to leave Miami. It is all about money these days......

:roflol:

You would have been better off with RR.

:roflol:

'cause Rich don't get out of bed for less than 3 mil....

Rich Rodriguez is one of the top ten college coaches in the country, IMO. For the last several years, LSU is always a scary. With him at the head, it would be even worse. With him as head coach this year, LSU is MNC.

LSU is a great job. Fan expectations are high, but no more so than at other top schools. I think it is one of the top jobs in the country...BUT as others have noted, RR is a WV man and so is his wife. If I were them, I would stay put and enjoy the success there in Morgantown.

RR didn't go to Bama because he didn't want to. Money was not the issue

Let's suppose for a minute that Miles does go to Meeeechigan, and RR takes the LSU job.

Isn't there a prominent coach that is from West Virginia that I have heard a little about lately?

If we offered the money we offered Saban, he would have come. Fact.

If we offered the money we offered Saban, he would have come. Fact.

He and his wife would still be scared of the fanbase though. The extra millions would just make it that much easier to replace the broken windows.

Archived