Anyone see this play in the Texas/ASU game?

SouthLink02

Watching it, but to be honest, I can't believe the ref found "irrefutable" evidence to overturn the call. I didn't think the guy actually touched it. I feel sorry for the guy.

He may not have touched it but he shouldn't be on the field.

Watching it, but to be honest, I can't believe the ref found "irrefutable" evidence to overturn the call. I didn't think the guy actually touched it. I feel sorry for the guy.

Absolutely. Just a jacked up play any way you look at it.

What happened?

Yes, please fill me in also. I am watching the game now, but what happened during this particular play?

What happened?

Yes, please fill me in also. I am watching the game now, but what happened during this particular play?

Texas is up 21-0...3rd down...ASU is driving....they throw a screen which is behind the line of scrimmage....but it looks like rudy had thrown it to the ground as he was tackled so this Texas ball boy thought the play was done and went after it....refs ruled it was a live ball STILL and Texas picked it up and ran it back 30-40 yards

Refs looked at video and said he had touched it thus ASU got the ball back and scored on the next play to make it 21-7

ESPN kept going towards a picture of the kid and said he would cost them the game, etc...

Felt bad

ESPN kept going towards a picture of the kid and said he would cost them the game, etc...

It didn't cost them tonight. That PAC-10 defense is doing its usual - bleeding.

What makes it even more ridiculous is who made the ruling in the game. None other than the *SEC Officiating Guru* :drippingsarcasm7pa: Penn Wagers. The same guy that called the ALA/UM, AU/LSU, and many other controversial games this season.

Tell that to the other coach and the two players on the field w/o their helmets. Exactly what does it take for Texas to get a sideline flag on this play? :no:

It didn't cost them tonight. That PAC-10 defense is doing its usual - bleeding.

Wagers is jinked. His crew gave UAT the 2007 Ole Miss game.

al.com

PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [s40].

Illegal Interference

ARTICLE 4. a. No substitute, coach, authorized attendant or any person

subject to the rules, other than a player or official, may interfere in any way

with the ball or a player while the ball is in play.

PENALTY—15 yards from the basic spot. The referee may enforce any

penalty he considers equitable, including awarding a score.

**Note to Kirk Herbstreit and those on this board that repeat what he spews on TV.......It doesn't say anything about touching the damn ball. The idiot was on the effing field about to pick up a live ball.

Illegal Interference

I think the referee should have enforced a penalty he considered equitable. IF the Texas guy touched the ball, then he would have only prevented the ball from going out of bounds. So, the worst case for Texas would have been that the ball went out of bounds at that spot. Arizona State should have kept the ball at the touched location, not 25 yards forward towards the end zone.

Illegal Interference

I think the referee should have enforced a penalty he considered equitable. IF the Texas guy touched the ball, then he would have only prevented the ball from going out of bounds. So, the worst case for Texas would have been that the ball went out of bounds at that spot. Arizona State should have kept the ball at the touched location, not 25 yards forward towards the end zone.

Not neccessarily true. The ball could have kept rolling toward the Texas goal and ASU recovered it.

By the way the "kid" involved is Texas Coach Mack Brown's step-son.

Illegal Interference

Not neccessarily true. The ball could have kept rolling toward the Texas goal and ASU recovered it.

By the way the "kid" involved is Texas Coach Mack Brown's step-son.

The ball was rolling farther and farther backwards from the ASU standpoint. They could have recovered the ball (unlikely since there were no ASU players near), but since the worst situation would have been the ball for ASU at the touched location that should have been the penalty/decision made. ASU should have received the ball at the touched location as if they had recovered it there.

Archived