Sugar Bowl

BZ770

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that was a jerk move. Hawaii down 35 points and they get a first down and Richt throws a challenge flag?

Classless to no end. I am reversing my opinion of the guy. I defended the Excessive celebration in the Florida game but I see what it is.

Richt is a jackass.

well, apparently he was right.

Apparently he is a tool.

He has a 38 -3 lead on Hawaii, they have made maybe 2 first downs all night, they are not doing ANYTHING on offense. You won 30 minutes ago. You don't challenge a rare first down. You don't throw pass patterns to the corner post.

Any coach with a shred of class runs the ball every down and punts until they see any life from their dominated opponent. Georgia is the far superior team, its time to pull the doggs off now. Its just low class to pour it on when its absolutely evident you have your opponent totally dominated.

Keep in mind who they are playing. UH has made some big come backs this year. It is very doubtful that they could come back, but the best defense against the flaming offense of UH is to keep them on the bench.

Now that was a jerk move. Hawaii down 35 points and they get a first down and Richt throws a challenge flag?

Classless to no end. I am reversing my opinion of the guy. I defended the Excessive celebration in the Florida game but I see what it is.

Richt is a jackass.

well, apparently he was right.

Apparently he is a tool.

He has a 38 -3 lead on Hawaii, they have made maybe 2 first downs all night, they are not doing ANYTHING on offense. You won 30 minutes ago. You don't challenge a rare first down. You don't throw pass patterns to the corner post.

Any coach with a shred of class runs the ball every down and punts until they see any life from their dominated opponent. Georgia is the far superior team, its time to pull the doggs off now. Its just low class to pour it on when its absolutely evident you have your opponent totally dominated.

Although it wouldn't be the way I would coach it - it's up to the defense to stop UGA. If I were Hawaii I would be more offended if someone pulled the dogs back on me than if they kept goin - it's more embarassing to have someone pull the "mercy" card on you than to be beat by 50.

exactly. its still the defense's job to stop you. have you stopped to think that maybe they're thinking ahead to next season? UGA is #5#4 right now. they're blowing an undefeated Hawaii team apart. they're losing MAYBE a handful of seniors after tonight. do the math. they're looking for a really good pre-season ranking, and i don't really blame them.

First - don't get me wrong. I'm loving that Georgia is whooping Hawaii, and I think it's great to see the SEC dominating a team that some said should have had a shot at the national title.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to bash Hawaii, point my finger at them, and laugh. Their conference sucks, and their out of conference schedule suck too. But there's no reason not to give some sort of compliment to the job June Jones and the Hawaii program has done. The year before June Jones got there, Hawaii went 0-12. The first year he was there, 9-4. He installed an unconventional system and got a team 5,000 miles away to compete with Division I football teams. Ole Miss and Vandy might be able to achieve the same results as Hawaii with the same schedule, but Ole Miss and Vandy are expected to compete with SEC teams. Hawaii is expected to compete with WAC teams, and they have. They went 12-0 and defeated a Pac-10 team. Kudos to Hawaii - they couldn't have done any better.

Hawaii is a prime example of why FBS or whatever it's called needs to be renovated. They need to narrow D-I down to around 60 teams. Whether it's based on athletic budgets, school population, booster money, tradition, etc, I don't care. But the fact that teams like 2004's Utah, 2006's Boise St, and 2007's Hawaii can go undefeated and have nothing to show for it isn't fair. None of those teams even got a shot at a national title.

Troy is more deserving. If Troy had gone undefeated this year, they would have been recognized.

If the teams you mentioned want a shot at the national title, they either need to really beef up their out of conference schedule, or drop down a notch.

It's not about doing whatever you can to get into the BCS national championship. How exactly was Hawaii supposed to know which out of conference teams would be good enough to schedule? It's not like NCAA on PS3. You can't just delete a team off of your schedule and schedule the preseason favorite. For all Hawaii knew, Washington could have been a top ten team this season.

And even if Troy had gone undefeated, I don't believe they would have gotten into the BCS title game. They would have definitely had a better argument, but do you really think they would have jumped Ohio St and LSU?

The fact is this - there are BCS conferences/schools, mid-major conferences and schools, and lower divisions of the NCAA. The BCS schools can compete with each other on a regular basis and have a national title to play for. The lower divisions can compete with each other on a regular basis and have a national title play for. The mid-major schools can compete with each other but have no national title to play for. Even if Troy had defeated Arkansas, Florida, and OK St, it would have been a hell of a battle for them to beat a #1 or #2 BCS team. The recruiting budgets are different, the facilities are different, and the support is different. There needs to be another division in the NCAA. I would have watched a Central Michigan-Hawaii national title game.

And as much as I hate it, pre-season rankings are extremely important in the screwy BCS system we have to deal with.

If they score 1 touchdown you can always turn the heat back up. I never expect a team to stop playing defense, but we even take it easy on Tennesee tech or New Mexico State in the end.

as we should. They are puny teams and are recognized nationally as a puny team. UH, on the other hand, is a puny team regarded as a a possible MNC competitor in the eyes of many. Even I believe Brennan is a good QB on a crappy team and he deserves credit for what he has achieved. The team has only beat two teams with winning records and year after year they schedule junk and whine when they don't get considered for big-time bowls. Well, this is the closest they have come and obviously cannot perform. This will (or at least should) shut the ball-washing media up and encourage UH to schedule a tougher OOC schedule (as TT and NMSU do). I say score as much as you can. Now, though, I'd take out my starters who aren't seniors after that nice return.

How exactly was Hawaii supposed to know which out of conference teams would be good enough to schedule? It's not like NCAA on PS3. You can't just delete a team off of your schedule and schedule the preseason favorite. For all Hawaii knew, Washington could have been a top ten team this season.

You tell me the last time you remember N Colorado, UNLV, Charelston Southern, Idaho, Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico State, or Nevada being having a nationally successful team? I'll give you Washington & Boise State...........and make a stretch for Fresno State & La Tech.

They can schedule a SEC, Big Ten, ACC, or (not bottom of the barrel) in the PAC 10. Then I'll give them some credit. If they do that and are successful I'll say the deserve a better bowl and/or listen to them whine if they get left out.

Regardless, I hope they loose by the largest possible margin b/c of the jackass players, cocky coach, and irrational fans. (as on SI.com and confirmed my family in HI)

4th and Goal and UGA goes for it?!?!?!

and they didn't even give it to Lumpkin, classless.

Starters aren't in................ so do it. Let the younger guys do something.

How exactly was Hawaii supposed to know which out of conference teams would be good enough to schedule? It's not like NCAA on PS3. You can't just delete a team off of your schedule and schedule the preseason favorite. For all Hawaii knew, Washington could have been a top ten team this season.

You tell me the last time you remember N Colorado, UNLV, Charelston Southern, Idaho, Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico State, or Nevada being having a nationally successful team? I'll give you Washington & Boise State...........and make a stretch for Fresno State & La Tech.

They can schedule a SEC, Big Ten, ACC, or (not bottom of the barrel) in the PAC 10. Then I'll give them some credit. If they do that and are successful I'll say the deserve a better bowl and/or listen to them whine if they get left out.

Regardless, I hope they loose by the largest possible margin b/c of the jackass players, cocky coach, and irrational fans. (as on SI.com and confirmed my family in HI)

I'm just curious, what do you think the point of my comment was? The main one.

So you hope they lose because of their jackass players/coach/fans? Do you see the team they are playing? UGA is up 41-10 with 8 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and they're still finding ways to thug it out.

Georgia could have shut this down a while ago. Passing on 4th down? Late hits? We are so lucky to having the coaching staff we have today. This year I lost all my respect for Mark Richt and his new style. I am not happy with the two chop blocks from us this year but I don't believe these players did it on purpose. I think the lineman being freshman contributed to the play.

First - don't get me wrong. I'm loving that Georgia is whooping Hawaii, and I think it's great to see the SEC dominating a team that some said should have had a shot at the national title.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to bash Hawaii, point my finger at them, and laugh. Their conference sucks, and their out of conference schedule suck too. But there's no reason not to give some sort of compliment to the job June Jones and the Hawaii program has done. The year before June Jones got there, Hawaii went 0-12. The first year he was there, 9-4. He installed an unconventional system and got a team 5,000 miles away to compete with Division I football teams. Ole Miss and Vandy might be able to achieve the same results as Hawaii with the same schedule, but Ole Miss and Vandy are expected to compete with SEC teams. Hawaii is expected to compete with WAC teams, and they have. They went 12-0 and defeated a Pac-10 team. Kudos to Hawaii - they couldn't have done any better.

Hawaii is a prime example of why FBS or whatever it's called needs to be renovated. They need to narrow D-I down to around 60 teams. Whether it's based on athletic budgets, school population, booster money, tradition, etc, I don't care. But the fact that teams like 2004's Utah, 2006's Boise St, and 2007's Hawaii can go undefeated and have nothing to show for it isn't fair. None of those teams even got a shot at a national title.

Troy is more deserving. If Troy had gone undefeated this year, they would have been recognized.

If the teams you mentioned want a shot at the national title, they either need to really beef up their out of conference schedule, or drop down a notch.

It's not about doing whatever you can to get into the BCS national championship. How exactly was Hawaii supposed to know which out of conference teams would be good enough to schedule? It's not like NCAA on PS3. You can't just delete a team off of your schedule and schedule the preseason favorite. For all Hawaii knew, Washington could have been a top ten team this season.

And even if Troy had gone undefeated, I don't believe they would have gotten into the BCS title game. They would have definitely had a better argument, but do you really think they would have jumped Ohio St and LSU?

The fact is this - there are BCS conferences/schools, mid-major conferences and schools, and lower divisions of the NCAA. The BCS schools can compete with each other on a regular basis and have a national title to play for. The lower divisions can compete with each other on a regular basis and have a national title play for. The mid-major schools can compete with each other but have no national title to play for. Even if Troy had defeated Arkansas, Florida, and OK St, it would have been a hell of a battle for them to beat a #1 or #2 BCS team. The recruiting budgets are different, the facilities are different, and the support is different. There needs to be another division in the NCAA. I would have watched a Central Michigan-Hawaii national title game.

Troy did beat Ok. State-- badly. If they had also beaten Florida, Georgia and Arkansas, there would have been a groundswell of opinion that they were more deserving than a two loss LSU team to play for the MNC. Now there is a reason they did not beat those SEC schools. Just as there is a reason Hawaii is getting embarrassed now. But if a team wants a legitimate gripe about being left out of the BCS bowls, play the type of schedule Troy plays. That's all I'm saying.

Troy did beat Ok. State-- badly. If they had also beaten Florida, Georgia and Arkansas, there would have been a groundswell of opinion that they were more deserving than a two loss LSU team to play for the MNC. Now there is a reason they did not beat those SEC schools. Just as there is a reason Hawaii is getting embarrassed now. But if a team wants a legitimate gripe about being left out of the BCS bowls, play the type of schedule Troy plays. That's all I'm saying.

Gotcha. And I meant to type Georgia, not OK St.

Granted, Georgia is going to win this game by a ridiculous score - however, I don't remember anyone whining about Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC or others doing the same to lesser opponents. I don't believe in running up the score - but I do think UH is WAY overarated and now it shows. I also find it interesting that McFadden, Tebow and now this UH quarterback - all Heisman guys have not played well today.

So you hope they lose because of their jackass players/coach/fans? Do you see the team they are playing? UGA is up 41-10 with 8 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and they're still finding ways to thug it out.

I do see your main point, just hoping you weren't using that as a defense for UH. I have no problem with UGA passing, going for it on 4th, or whatever as long as they aren't doing it with their starters. Seriously, if we were up on a team and the backups were in you'd want to restrict everything they did? If you are going to restrict what you do, keep the starters in. If you want to play backups, don't hold them down, let them do their thing too.

I do see your main point, just hoping you weren't using that as a defense for UH. I have no problem with UGA passing, going for it on 4th, or whatever as long as they aren't doing it with their starters. Seriously, if we were up on a team and the backups were in you'd want to restrict everything they did? If you are going to restrict what you do, keep the starters in. If you want to play backups, don't hold them down, let them do their thing too.

Yeah, you're right. Richt is definitely letting them do their thing. That late hit was a great learning experience for the backups. I love seeing closeups of the UGA players after each play and see their jaws moving. Think they're giving out chewing gum? I bet that's nice.

I'd want to go out with a little class, yes. It's one thing to run a bit of the offense to get some game experience for the younger guys. But going for it on fourth down when you can easily run out the clock? Why? Do young guys really take a huge step forward from that?

Late hit was uncalled for.

All of them have been jawing since kickoff. I don't agree with that, but most players on both sides are doing it. (not justifying it)

Go for it on 4th to keep the ball and run the clock out.

I guess UGA is classless for taking a knee at the end then?

**Not directed specifically at you THS, but I think a lot of these ill feelings for UGA are the spawn of them whipping us up and down the field this and last year. I don't like it, but it happened. UGA is a good team and I still like them and Richt and will continue to pull for them.

All of them have been jawing since kickoff. I don't agree with that, but most players on both sides are doing it. (not justifying it)

Why would you guess that?

Why would you guess that?

b/c of all the "Richt is an a-hole" and "UGA is so unclassy" talk in the past two pages of this thread.

Granted, Georgia is going to win this game by a ridiculous score - however, I don't remember anyone whining about Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC or others doing the same to lesser opponents. I don't believe in running up the score - but I do think UH is WAY overarated and now it shows.

My sentiments exactly.

Hawaii is a joke and apparently their coach is too. Look at the thugs on that team. Whatever we saw when we played at Georgia pales in comparison to the thuggery displayed by Hawaii's players and fans throughout the year. Georgia was celebrating good play on their own part. They did not play dirty or talk trash to Auburn players. The Hawaii players are a bunch of thug rejects that got kicked off mainland teams plus a few Hawaiians.

Did everyone see the cheap shot dirty play by #29 on the first punt of the game that gave #27 for GA a concussion? That seemed so obviously planned to me. #29 celebrated for 15 seconds on the field afterwards not caring that he had received a 15 yard penalty (why wasn't he thrown out?). When he went to the sidelines, no coach said anything to him about it (indicating to me that he was told to do something of the sort to set the tempo).

So, after a stunt that looked to be premeditated and other thuggery and trash talking by Hawaii, I would hope that my own team would rub Hawaii's nose in every bit of the crappiness that they are.

If you are suggesting that we compliment a coach, that takes known thugs and allows them to thugarize all over the place and allows them to have the lowest graduation rates of any bowl team, just because they win, then I must tell you that you are wrong. Keep in mind that celebrating by dancing Soulja Boy is much different than the type of behaviour demonstrated by Hawaii.

I agree with you about the renovation of FBS, except I would include everyone from the BCS conferences and make everyone in the FBS division schedule only other BCS conference teams for non-conference games.

I agree with you about the renovation of FBS, except I would include everyone from the BCS conferences and make everyone in the FBS division schedule only other BCS conference teams for non-conference games.

Except that scheduling only BCS opponents would kill the lesser schools. They depend on the tv and game money to keep their programs afloat.

Archived