Bobby Williams to coach at SPUAT

AU alum

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/01/bobby_...in_alabama.html

Bobby Williams to join Alabama staff

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport January 17, 2008 3:16 PM

Just a heads up on a story that will soon be on the Birmingham News' breaking new page. Alabama coach Nick Saban now only has one spot to fill on his coaching staff. He is expected to hire Bobby Williams.

Say hello to the newest coach

Here's the story:

TUSCALOOSA - Former Michigan State coach Bobby Williams is expected to join the University of Alabama coaching staff, The Birmingham News has learned.

Williams takes over for Ron Middleton, the former tight ends and special teams coach who left after one season to work at Duke. There has been no official announcement on the hire.

Williams worked under Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban with the Spartans. He also worked for Saban at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins. The 49-year old Purdue graduate interviewed with Saban in Tuscaloosa last Friday.

He was offered a chance to join Saban's Alabama staff last year, but declined. The Dolphins subsequently fired him when a new coaching staff arrived.

-- Ian R. Rapoport

Williams is most noted for a press conference in which when asked, "Do you still have control of your team?", he simply responded with, "I don't know."

nice

If this is who I'm thinking it is this guy will fit in quite nicely with Saban. If it is the one I'm thinking of hes worthless as a person

took over for saban when he left michigan state. got fired in the middle of a season...eventually made his way back to saban at lsu...the followed him to the dolphins. when saban got the bammer job he turned down saban's offer to join him at bammer...and then got fired by the dolphins last april.

Guys... do you even realize what we're seeing? This is history IN THE MAKING!

This is the first person previously under Saban to actually agree to come back for the punishment a second time!

Tubby beats Saban hands down when it comes to hiring assistants. I guess Saban wants at least one coach on the staff that likes him.

After Michigan beat Michigan St 49-3 in 2002, a reporter asked Williams:

"Do you still have control of your team?"

Williams responded:

"I don't know."

I don't know = It is what it is?

This is the first person previously under Saban to actually agree to come back for the punishment a second time!

He only took the job because he is currently unemployed. Saban offered him the job before and he turned him down. This guy had nowhere else to go and it sounds like he may be the only friend Saban has in the world.

Actually, Saban offered him the job while he was still employed at Miami. Even though he knew when a new coach came in, he would be fired, he chose that over coming to SPUAT w/Saban. Then when he was fired after the new coach came in, and was unemployed for a while, Saban asked again. He had no prospects, so he THEN came to Saban and SPUAT. Nothing better to do.

He only took the job because he is currently unemployed. Saban offered him the job before and he turned him down. This guy had nowhere else to go and it sounds like he may be the only friend Saban has in the world.

What about runswithscissors?

What about runswithscissors?

Ashandrei knows him too, I'm sure. It's well known that Williams would have hung out at the local Tuscaloosa Krystal's on McFarland waiting for the next commercial shoot... Ashandrei would have spotted to him and build a raport over a few chili cheese pups....

Kirby Smart coached under CNS. As did Bo Davis.

Kirby Smart coached under CNS. As did Bo Davis.

Not flaming, but I have not heard those names anywhere. What do they coach now at Alabama?

Not flaming, but I have not heard those names anywhere. What do they coach now at Alabama?

Secondary/Assistant head coach and Defensive Line respectively

Good GOD......how many Assistant and Associate Head Coaches does sabahr need??? Is sabahr really yall's coach?

Joe Pendry - Assistant Head Coach/Oline Coach/Co-OC (kinda)

Kirby Smart - Assistant Head Coach/Secondary Coach

Burton Burns - Associate Head Coach/Running Back Coach

Glad to hear that SOMEONE is gonna' attempt to "COACH" in west vance. They need it..................

Now the bammers, and even Saban, are saying that Williams is a huge improvement to the bama staff. This comes on the heels of all kinds of compliments for Ron Middleton and how big a loss it was for him to leave.

I can't wait to see the end of this process crap and see what mode Saban uses in his departure

Now the bammers, and even Saban, are saying that Williams is a huge improvement to the bama staff. This comes on the heels of all kinds of compliments for Ron Middleton and how big a loss it was for him to leave.

What do you really expect people to say? Middleton is a great coach and we will miss him, but do you really expect anyone to say anything different about a new hire? You don't hire someone and say, "well, he can't feel the shoes of the guys he's replacing but he's all we could get".

I'm not just talking football either. I'm talking ANY type of business. You ALWAYS compliment your new hire.

What do you really expect people to say? Middleton is a great coach and we will miss him, but do you really expect anyone to say anything different about a new hire? You don't hire someone and say, "well, he can't feel the shoes of the guys he's replacing but he's all we could get".

I'm not just talking football either. I'm talking ANY type of business. You ALWAYS compliment your new hire.

Sure you do but when I lost a good manager I always told the new guy he had some big shoes to fill. Saban, IMHO, could have been more diplomatic than in essence saying "we took the staff up a notch."

And of course the faithful chimed in and said "yes master."

I guess it doesn't matter since the milestone in the "process" tonight is to fire Mike Gotfried.

Archived