Fresno State HC thought Saban had the wrong number

Ranger12

Okay, if they guy that you are currently coaching under thinks that a team inquiring about your services must have the wrong number, what does that say about you? What does this maybe say about the desperation in the choice?

Link

After two weeks of searching for an offensive coordinator, Alabama coach Nick Saban looked West and landed former Fresno State offensive coordinator Jim McElwain.

Saban announced the hiring Wednesday morning, and McElwain confirmed his status as Alabama’s offensive coordinator in a news conference later in the day.

Late last week, Saban called Fresno State head coach Pat Hill to inquire about McElwain’s services.

When Hill forwarded Saban to McElwain, he thought that Saban had the wrong person.

“The phone rang, I thought maybe they had the wrong number,” McElwain told The Fresno Bee. :blink:

McElwain said he had to think about the offer before finally making the decision. Fresno isn’t too far from his hometown of Missoula, Mont., and he had been with the Bulldogs for just one year. Just one month ago, McElwain turned down an offer to coach his alma mater of Eastern Washington State. But in the end, the tradition of Alabama outweighed the comfort of his current situation.

“When you think of the history, you think of the tradition, you think of what Alabama football is,” McElwain said. “The fact that they would think enough to come out to Fresno and take a look at some guy who grew up in Montana, that’s an unbelievable thing.”

Saban sounded equally enthused about the hire.

“Jim is a phenomenal coach, and we are thrilled to have him on board,” Saban said. “He did an outstanding job last year at Fresno State. Their improvement on offense, especially in the play of their quarterback, was tremendous.”

Last season, McElwain’s first at Fresno State, the Bulldogs averaged 419.5 yards a game, good for 38th nationally. They scored 32.9 points a game, 32nd nationally. In 2006, the Bulldogs averaged 338.2 yards and 23 points.

Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater improved his passing efficiency rating from 106.7 in 2006 to 140.5 last season. He had 2,654 yards and completed 62.6 percent of his passes.

“I never want to hold anyone back from better opportunities,” Hill said. “Jim did a great job for us, and we wish him and his family all the best.”

McElwain interviewed for the Tide job in Tuscaloosa on Sunday.

Rutgers offensive coordinator John McNulty interviewed Monday. Alabama also brought former Michigan quarterback’s coach Scot Loeffler to Tuscaloosa for an interview Jan. 18.

Saban tested the interest of other candidates, such as Louisville offensive coordinator Jeff Brohm, whom Saban interviewed last year for the offensive coordinator position. But Brohm quickly took his name out of the running.

“We talked to a large pool of coaches when we interviewed for this position, and Jim was absolutely the best candidate we spoke to,” Saban said.

From 1995-99, McElwain served as offensive coordinator and receivers coach at Montana State.

He then moved to Louisville in 2000 as the Cardinals’ receivers coach. He then went to Michigan State and was assistant head coach, receivers coach and special teams coach during 2003-05.

Before joining the Bulldogs, McElwain coached the Oakland Raiders’ quarterbacks in 2006.

When asked about Saban’s demanding nature as a coach as well as the challenge of coaching in the Southeastern Conference, McElwain said, “The SEC’s a big challenge. We’re excited to take that challenge, as coaches, as competitors.

“The challenge is the big thing. (Coach Saban) is a great guy. He’s a demanding guy, from what I can understand, and I’m looking forward to learning ball from him.”

I heard a bammer on the radio yesterday afternoon, and I swear that he said on radio for all to hear, that, "this guy was actually Saban's first choice, it just took a while to work out the details, so he must be really good". I just shook my head in disbelief.

I heard a bammer on the radio yesterday afternoon, and I swear that he said on radio for all to hear, that, "this guy was actually Saban's first choice, it just took a while to work out the details, so he must be really good". I just shook my head in disbelief.

They will believe anything.

Like Tony Franklin is a "guru"...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::roflol:

If you wrote the book, you are a guru. Just ask Ms. Spears.

Okay, if they guy that you are currently coaching under thinks that a team inquiring about your services must have the wrong number, what does that say about you? What does this maybe say about the desperation in the choice?

Link

After two weeks of searching for an offensive coordinator, Alabama coach Nick Saban looked West and landed former Fresno State offensive coordinator Jim McElwain.

Saban announced the hiring Wednesday morning, and McElwain confirmed his status as Alabama’s offensive coordinator in a news conference later in the day.

Late last week, Saban called Fresno State head coach Pat Hill to inquire about McElwain’s services.

When Hill forwarded Saban to McElwain, he thought that Saban had the wrong person.

“The phone rang, I thought maybe they had the wrong number,” McElwain told The Fresno Bee. :blink:

McElwain said he had to think about the offer before finally making the decision. Fresno isn’t too far from his hometown of Missoula, Mont., and he had been with the Bulldogs for just one year. Just one month ago, McElwain turned down an offer to coach his alma mater of Eastern Washington State. But in the end, the tradition of Alabama outweighed the comfort of his current situation.

“When you think of the history, you think of the tradition, you think of what Alabama football is,” McElwain said. “The fact that they would think enough to come out to Fresno and take a look at some guy who grew up in Montana, that’s an unbelievable thing.”

Saban sounded equally enthused about the hire.

“Jim is a phenomenal coach, and we are thrilled to have him on board,” Saban said. “He did an outstanding job last year at Fresno State. Their improvement on offense, especially in the play of their quarterback, was tremendous.”

Last season, McElwain’s first at Fresno State, the Bulldogs averaged 419.5 yards a game, good for 38th nationally. They scored 32.9 points a game, 32nd nationally. In 2006, the Bulldogs averaged 338.2 yards and 23 points.

Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater improved his passing efficiency rating from 106.7 in 2006 to 140.5 last season. He had 2,654 yards and completed 62.6 percent of his passes.

“I never want to hold anyone back from better opportunities,” Hill said. “Jim did a great job for us, and we wish him and his family all the best.”

McElwain interviewed for the Tide job in Tuscaloosa on Sunday.

Rutgers offensive coordinator John McNulty interviewed Monday. Alabama also brought former Michigan quarterback’s coach Scot Loeffler to Tuscaloosa for an interview Jan. 18.

Saban tested the interest of other candidates, such as Louisville offensive coordinator Jeff Brohm, whom Saban interviewed last year for the offensive coordinator position. But Brohm quickly took his name out of the running.

“We talked to a large pool of coaches when we interviewed for this position, and Jim was absolutely the best candidate we spoke to,” Saban said.

From 1995-99, McElwain served as offensive coordinator and receivers coach at Montana State.

He then moved to Louisville in 2000 as the Cardinals’ receivers coach. He then went to Michigan State and was assistant head coach, receivers coach and special teams coach during 2003-05.

Before joining the Bulldogs, McElwain coached the Oakland Raiders’ quarterbacks in 2006.

When asked about Saban’s demanding nature as a coach as well as the challenge of coaching in the Southeastern Conference, McElwain said, “The SEC’s a big challenge. We’re excited to take that challenge, as coaches, as competitors.

“The challenge is the big thing. (Coach Saban) is a great guy. He’s a demanding guy, from what I can understand, and I’m looking forward to learning ball from him.”

in other interviews McElwain's coach also said he is a great coach and will be a great head coach one day. but this story is amusing, nonetheless.

Saban's ego is incredible. He says "Jim was absolutely the best candidate we talked to." Well duh....several candidates he called first weren't even interested. The the one who accepted turned out to be.....surprise.....the best. Anyone with a brain could see that whoever ended up accepting would be proclaimed the best. Saban truly belongs at bama, he is a perfect fit.

Saban's ego is incredible. He says "Jim was absolutely the best candidate we talked to." Well duh....several candidates he called first weren't even interested. The the one who accepted turned out to be.....surprise.....the best. Anyone with a brain could see that whoever ended up accepting would be proclaimed the best. Saban truly belongs at bama, he is a perfect fit.

so please let us in the loop on your inside info and tell us all about the search.

so please let us in the loop on your inside info and tell us all about the search.

It's a matter of public record unless all the bama beat writers consistently had the wrong info. But hey, it's OK, we all knew what the ultimate outcome would be.

So you mean to tell me Brohm, Hatcher, the QB coach at Michigan and the guy from Nebraska just made up Bama's interest in them? <_<<_<

All of the other "candidates" were just leaked to the media as a smoke screen. This way cns could get his FIRST choice and not have to pay the highest $'s ever paid for an OC and not have other schools in competition for him. By the way, was this new OC ever considered for any other openings this year????

All of the other "candidates" were just leaked to the media as a smoke screen. This way cns could get his FIRST choice and not have to pay the highest $'s ever paid for an OC and not have other schools in competition for him. By the way, was this new OC ever considered for any other openings this year????

I've never claimed he was the first choice. I am just happy with the hire.

Sums it up.

What's in a name when coaches hired?

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The search is over. Alabama has its new offensive coordinator-quarterback coach, and it's ... Jim McElwain?

Come on. Norm Chow you've heard of. Tom Clements you know. Chris Hatcher, Scott Loeffler, maybe even John McNulty.

But Jim McElwain?

Who knew? College football insomniacs addicted to late night, West Coast games might have realized McElwain was the offensive coordinator-quarterback coach at Fresno State last year.

And the year before that, he was with the Oakland Raiders.

The year before that, it was Michigan State.

If for some reason the guy doesn't know offense, he certainly understands the housing market.

Tide fans who dreamed of a "big name" to come in with his own offensive system and fix everything that was perceived as being wrong with the Alabama offense forgot one thing.

There is room for only one "big name" at Alabama.

Nick Saban.

He made that clear from his first day. When it comes to Alabama football, he said there would be one voice, and it would be his.

And there will be only one "system," and it belongs to him.

That is not a conducive atmosphere to hiring "big name" coordinators, who earned their "big name" by not only coaching with success but, because of that success, earned the right to talk about what they do, how they do it, and get credit for doing it.

The only "system" Saban seems to believe in is having better players than everybody else. And when asked, a few college coaches who have been in the business long enough to know said McElwain has a reputation for being a good recruiter.

Really, did you expect anything less of anyone hired by Saban?

There could be at least one more change coming. Saban's reputation is that every year, whether his teams go 13-0 and 0-13, you can count of him having at least three openings on his staff. He's had two this year, but Kevin Steele's name is very much in the conversation as a potential head coach for South Alabama's new football program, meaning the turnover in Tuscaloosa may not be over.

Saban has a reputation for going through a lot of coaches, but not because he fires them. Rather, he just doesn't seem to inspire tremendous loyalty from his assistants. When he left Michigan State for LSU, he sent back a plane to pick up everyone on his staff that wanted to join him in Baton Rouge, and the plane came back empty.

Even the guys who seem to keep showing up on his staff, like Bobby Williams, go off to work for somebody else but wind up coming back when they are either out of work or in need a better job.

And yet, it seem like just about every coach that works for Saban says they are better coaches for the experience, even if it is an experience they might prefer not to go through again.

Throughout this process, Saban has seemed either slightly amused or slightly annoyed - with him, sometimes its hard to tell the difference - with the fixation on who he might hire.

In his mind, Alabama has Nick Saban.

Isn't that enough?

Ray Melick's column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com

Why couldn't Saban just say that?

He might.....if you ask him.

I don't think I've ever heard a coach say, in public, "Well, he isn't our first choice..."

Sums it up.

What's in a name when coaches hired?

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The search is over. Alabama has its new offensive coordinator-quarterback coach, and it's ... Jim McElwain?

Come on. Norm Chow you've heard of. Tom Clements you know. Chris Hatcher, Scott Loeffler, maybe even John McNulty.

But Jim McElwain?

Who knew? College football insomniacs addicted to late night, West Coast games might have realized McElwain was the offensive coordinator-quarterback coach at Fresno State last year.

And the year before that, he was with the Oakland Raiders.

The year before that, it was Michigan State.

If for some reason the guy doesn't know offense, he certainly understands the housing market.

Tide fans who dreamed of a "big name" to come in with his own offensive system and fix everything that was perceived as being wrong with the Alabama offense forgot one thing.

There is room for only one "big name" at Alabama.

Nick Saban.

He made that clear from his first day. When it comes to Alabama football, he said there would be one voice, and it would be his.

And there will be only one "system," and it belongs to him.

That is not a conducive atmosphere to hiring "big name" coordinators, who earned their "big name" by not only coaching with success but, because of that success, earned the right to talk about what they do, how they do it, and get credit for doing it.

The only "system" Saban seems to believe in is having better players than everybody else. And when asked, a few college coaches who have been in the business long enough to know said McElwain has a reputation for being a good recruiter.

Really, did you expect anything less of anyone hired by Saban?

There could be at least one more change coming. Saban's reputation is that every year, whether his teams go 13-0 and 0-13, you can count of him having at least three openings on his staff. He's had two this year, but Kevin Steele's name is very much in the conversation as a potential head coach for South Alabama's new football program, meaning the turnover in Tuscaloosa may not be over.

Saban has a reputation for going through a lot of coaches, but not because he fires them. Rather, he just doesn't seem to inspire tremendous loyalty from his assistants. When he left Michigan State for LSU, he sent back a plane to pick up everyone on his staff that wanted to join him in Baton Rouge, and the plane came back empty.

Even the guys who seem to keep showing up on his staff, like Bobby Williams, go off to work for somebody else but wind up coming back when they are either out of work or in need a better job.

And yet, it seem like just about every coach that works for Saban says they are better coaches for the experience, even if it is an experience they might prefer not to go through again.

Throughout this process, Saban has seemed either slightly amused or slightly annoyed - with him, sometimes its hard to tell the difference - with the fixation on who he might hire.

In his mind, Alabama has Nick Saban.

Isn't that enough?

Ray Melick's column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com

You sure McElwain's 1st name isn't Bobby (as in Petrino)? He sure does move around alot.

I don't think I've ever heard a coach say, in public, "Well, he isn't our first choice..."

That is true and likewise only an egotistical few need to expressly make a point of saying "we got the best man" when they finally got somebody. Saban fits in that category as he just demonstrated.

Because he'd be telling the truth.....or whatever, aight?

That is true and likewise only an egotistical few need to expressly make a point of saying "we got the best man" when they finally got somebody. Saban fits in that category as he just demonstrated.

according to CNS' press conference, they interviewed 5 people. so apparently he had at least 5 people that wanted it and he picked who he wanted. he also stated that there were plenty of folks who the media reported were candidates, that it was news to him that they were looking at. if who we hired was the best out of the 5 people interviewed, then so be it. i don't see why you're so upset that we hired somebody. i'm not saying he's a world beater and we will win every single game. i'm just saying if he says that he was the best candidate out of the 5 that interviewed, then i'm fine with that. i'm not unhappy about the hire at all.

His copyrighted offensive system has been implemented by roughly 275 high school and college programs throughout the nation
Franklin was named one of the top 10 recruiters in the South

Looks like he is not only a recruiting guru, more importantly an offensive guru. <_<

Why are you so worried about Saban?

Why are you so worried about Saban?

Where did I say I was worried about St. Nick? On the contrary, he and you bama fans provide me almost daily entertainment. I relish the belief that he will one day shoot a bullet into your hearts that will result in a wound that may never heal.

Archived