"Saban needs to put up or shut up"

quietfan

Word:

Nobody asked me, but I have some stern and succinct advice for Alabama coach Nick Saban -- shut up already.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some duct tape. Carry it around with you at all times. The moment you see a reporter, tape it across your mouth. Do not go to press conferences. Do not give interviews. Don't give speeches. Your mouth has become a deadly weapon. It is slowly killing your credibility.

...when it comes to dealing with the news media, you're a train wreck. You're a disaster waiting to happen. You are college football's version of Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl all wrapped into one.

You had a wonderful opportunity this week to calm down the Alabama Nation. You had a shot at delivering a strong and effective message about discipline. The program had just suffered through seven horrible days that saw one player arrested on two counts of armed robbery and a popular senior team captain picked up at 2:55 Saturday morning and charged with disorderly conduct.

If you're scoring at home, that makes eight arrests vs. only seven wins for the Saban era at Alabama.

So what do you do?

You show up at a press conference and make matters worse. Instead of staying on message, you scattershoot from A to Z, leaving bird droppings all over the room.

First, the small stuff like your attire.

At $4 million a year, I presume you can afford a nice suit off the rack at any department store or outlet mall. Frankly, I am told you have a clothing contract (so use it!). Ditch the light gray suit you've been wearing since you touched down 14 months ago at the Tuscaloosa airport. Get a dark blue suit, a crisp white shirt and a somber tie (crimson if you must!) and look like you're serious and authoritative.

Instead, you wear a crimson mock turtleneck that makes you look like you're heading out to a disco on a Saturday night in the early '80s. If you want to resemble Sonny Crockett in an old episode of "Miami Vice," go back to South Beach. :roflol:

If you want to be taken seriously, at least, look the part because you certainly don't sound very convincing.

Secondly, say what you mean and mean what you say.

When you wag your finger at reporters, talking down to them, saying you are not going to talk about confidential matters in relation to your players and their arrests -- don't. Let the reporters ask questions until they're blue in the face. But don't start pontificating and preaching with all kinds of juicy details about a player's GPA, the number of games players have been suspended for (close to a new NCAA record, you said), and admitting your senior captain will not be suspended out of one side of your mouth and then lecturing everyone about due process out of the other.

The sad part about Saban's public relations nightmare is the guy is very bright and when he is on message, he can be deadly -- as effective and persuasive as any coach I've ever met. (I must have missed that day.-qf)

However, in front of a live microphone, with reporters as guinea pigs, Saban has become downright pathetic to watch.

And one more suggestion. Quit swaying and stand still when talking at the podium.

Saban becomes fidgety and anxious and starts throwing little nervous and annoying "aights" in there, which I'm sure are bridges to other streams of consciousness. And he is absolutely wrong when he talks down to reporters and berates them.

I know for most of you, this is pure joy and entertainment, to watch the Fourth Estate get a weekly beatdown from Saban. I must admit that I've laughed as some young and immature reporters (glad I was never among them) ask stupid questions just before another Saban smackdown.

The scene is usually like out of the movie "Animal House" when Chip, during the Omega initiation, grabs his ankles again after getting paddled and yelps out, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

Usually, after the beatdown, Saban smiles a toothy grin and says, "Hey, I'm just kidding."

All of this aside, the worst part about what Saban did this week was turning a bad situation into an even worse situation. He made a one-day story the topic of conversation all week.

So what's the answer?

Does Saban need professional PR help? And even if the school brought in the best and the brightest political spinmeisters from K Street in Washington or Madison Avenue in Manhattan, would it really do Alabama's head football coach any good?

To deal with a problem, Saban would first have to admit he has one. Then, he would have to sit still long enough to listen.

So until that day comes, assuming it ever does, I hope Saban will take this small bit of advice from me -- shut up already. Please. Do it before you inflict even more damage to yourself and the program.

(...and now the link. I was afraid if everyone saw the author's name up front, nobody would take time to read the article:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pf...amp;thispage=1)

Wow, I can't believe this coming from Slimebaum. Looks like the honeymoon with St. Nick may be over.

It's just typical Finebaum. He's done the same exact thing since he got his own radio show.

The formula:

1. Bama gets a new coach. (Saban)

2. Finebaum worships Bama's new coach. (Breakfast with Saban at that news guy's house.)

3. Finebaum slanders Auburn coach. (Tuberville is looking at Texas A&M)

4. Bama coach has some issues. (Losses to Miss St, LA Monroe, Auburn's sixth straight.)

5. Finebaum bashes Auburn coach. (Tuberville is duck hunting instead of recruiting because he's going to Ark.)

6. Bama coach has more issues. (Issues with media. Almost loses bowl game)

7. Finebaum desperately tries to put spotlight on Auburn coach. (Tuberville wants out of AU)

8. Bama coach has even more issues. (Despite a great year in recruiting, the news reports are about arrests.)

9. Finebaum sees opportunity to bash Bama coach. (Saban still can't handle discipline or press conferences.)

10. Auburn still looks like a consistent program despite all that's happened. (The only news of Auburn is the high intensity spring practice)

What will happen over the next few years:

11. Finebaum questions Saban's ability to be a head coach.

12. Auburn has good season.

13. Bama loses games they shouldn't.

14. Bama has discipline problems.

15. Auburn wins seventh in row.

16. Finebaum bashes Saban.

17. Repeat for the third year of the process.

18. Finebaum's listeners begin to think Finebaum is right.

19. Bama nation wants new coach.

20. Bama gets new coach.

That, my friends, is the REAL process.

Wow, I can't believe this coming from Slimebaum. Looks like the honeymoon with St. Nick may be over.

It's just typical Finebaum. He's done the same exact thing since he got his own radio show.

The formula:

2. Finebaum worships Bama's new coach. (Breakfast with Saban at that news guy's house.)

4. Bama coach has some issues. (Losses to Miss St, LA Monroe, Auburn's sixth straight.)

5. Finebaum bashes Auburn coach. (Tuberville is duck hunting instead of recruiting because he's going to Ark.)

7. Finebaum desperately tries to put spotlight on Auburn coach. (Tuberville wants out of AU)

8. Bama coach has even more issues. (Despite a great year in recruiting, the news reports are about arrests.)

9. Finebaum sees opportunity to bash Bama coach. (Saban still can't handle discipline or press conferences.)

10. Auburn still looks like a consistent program despite all that's happened. (The only news of Auburn is the high intensity spring practice)

20. Bama gets new coach.

You left out a few steps:

11.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

12.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

13.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

14.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

15.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

...etc.

The formula:

20. Bama gets new coach.

You left out a few steps:

11.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

12.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

13.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

14.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

15.5. Finebaum bashes CTT to get Auburn fans to call in/listen.

...etc.

THAT is the process with Finebaum. His schtick is old, tired, and very predictable. I would add this tho.

From 2 days after the Tide A-Day Game until August First, you will hear PF bash the bama coach all summer long. AU folks dont listen to him during the summer. It will get the flames fanned higher for when the Bama BOT fires him/runs him off later on.

The formula:

20. Bama gets new coach.

Congrats. You have hit the old nail on the head. Straight to the heart of the matter.

The more things "change".......

That article is absolute gold and proves that it's not only "Aubs" recognizing the obvious travesty that's happening on the crimson grounds.

I hope that's sarcasm and I hope that you aren't actually saying that FB is being sincere here.

That article is absolute gold and proves that it's not only "Aubs" recognizing the obvious travesty that's happening on the crimson grounds.

I hope that's sarcasm and I hope that you aren't actually saying that FB is being sincere here.

No, I think that PF is loving how Saban is handling himself. Seriously.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Oh, he's loving it all right. It makes it even easier for him to do his AL-AU flip flop routine.

Do you think what he said was untrue? :roflol:

He made some good points...but then again, it was FB typing it...so I would venture a guess that 99% of it he doesn't actually believe.

The fact is, I don't think anyone (FB included) knows what FB actually thinks and who he actually pulls for.

His entire career is based on fip flopping between AL and AU and pitting them against eachother on the air. Why more people haven't realized it by now...well...you can't fix stupid (which is evidened by the type of people who call in...IE Shane, Mariner, I Man, Dawson etc.)

Saban is reduced to "handling" himself? :blink: Why?

I'm sure there is still a long line of would be bobo honkers (including a few on this board...cough...cough..."BP"...cough) ready to service him even if Finebaum has stopped for a breather.

Word:

Nobody asked me, but I have some stern and succinct advice for Alabama coach Nick Saban -- shut up already.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some duct tape. Carry it around with you at all times. The moment you see a reporter, tape it across your mouth. Do not go to press conferences. Do not give interviews. Don't give speeches. Your mouth has become a deadly weapon. It is slowly killing your credibility.

...when it comes to dealing with the news media, you're a train wreck. You're a disaster waiting to happen. You are college football's version of Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl all wrapped into one.

You had a wonderful opportunity this week to calm down the Alabama Nation. You had a shot at delivering a strong and effective message about discipline. The program had just suffered through seven horrible days that saw one player arrested on two counts of armed robbery and a popular senior team captain picked up at 2:55 Saturday morning and charged with disorderly conduct.

If you're scoring at home, that makes eight arrests vs. only seven wins for the Saban era at Alabama.

PLEASE, when PF can tell anyone how to dress, and talk to the public, it will be a very COLD day in hell. Look at the guy, look what he wears, and how does that make him such a fashion plate.

Listen to how he talks to the public every afternoon, and especially the female callers. He insults us everyday by the way he talks to us or about women in general. If I were his wife, I would just slug him everyday when he got home, just on general principal, because you know he insulted us at sometime today.

It is his primary job to be able to deal with the public and media, and it is not Coach Saban's primary job to deal with the media. He has to do it, but you can tell it is not his favorite thing.

I must admit that I do not like how he talks to the media, but hey I understand in a way. Look at how the press has treated him, even if deserved. I don't think that I would trust or want to talk with them either.

If he only has a press conference to tell the public things, I wish that he would have the public relations dept. handle this for him.

How can Auburn fans even repeat what PF has written. Look at the way that he has insulted your coach and fans. He is the one thing that Bama and Auburn fans should be united about. Paul Finebaum is a jerk.

So what do you do?

You show up at a press conference and make matters worse. Instead of staying on message, you scattershoot from A to Z, leaving bird droppings all over the room.

First, the small stuff like your attire.

At $4 million a year, I presume you can afford a nice suit off the rack at any department store or outlet mall. Frankly, I am told you have a clothing contract (so use it!). Ditch the light gray suit you've been wearing since you touched down 14 months ago at the Tuscaloosa airport. Get a dark blue suit, a crisp white shirt and a somber tie (crimson if you must!) and look like you're serious and authoritative.

Instead, you wear a crimson mock turtleneck that makes you look like you're heading out to a disco on a Saturday night in the early '80s. If you want to resemble Sonny Crockett in an old episode of "Miami Vice," go back to South Beach. :roflol:

If you want to be taken seriously, at least, look the part because you certainly don't sound very convincing.

Secondly, say what you mean and mean what you say.

When you wag your finger at reporters, talking down to them, saying you are not going to talk about confidential matters in relation to your players and their arrests -- don't. Let the reporters ask questions until they're blue in the face. But don't start pontificating and preaching with all kinds of juicy details about a player's GPA, the number of games players have been suspended for (close to a new NCAA record, you said), and admitting your senior captain will not be suspended out of one side of your mouth and then lecturing everyone about due process out of the other.

The sad part about Saban's public relations nightmare is the guy is very bright and when he is on message, he can be deadly -- as effective and persuasive as any coach I've ever met. (I must have missed that day.-qf)

However, in front of a live microphone, with reporters as guinea pigs, Saban has become downright pathetic to watch.

And one more suggestion. Quit swaying and stand still when talking at the podium.

Saban becomes fidgety and anxious and starts throwing little nervous and annoying "aights" in there, which I'm sure are bridges to other streams of consciousness. And he is absolutely wrong when he talks down to reporters and berates them.

I know for most of you, this is pure joy and entertainment, to watch the Fourth Estate get a weekly beatdown from Saban. I must admit that I've laughed as some young and immature reporters (glad I was never among them) ask stupid questions just before another Saban smackdown.

The scene is usually like out of the movie "Animal House" when Chip, during the Omega initiation, grabs his ankles again after getting paddled and yelps out, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

Usually, after the beatdown, Saban smiles a toothy grin and says, "Hey, I'm just kidding."

All of this aside, the worst part about what Saban did this week was turning a bad situation into an even worse situation. He made a one-day story the topic of conversation all week.

So what's the answer?

Does Saban need professional PR help? And even if the school brought in the best and the brightest political spinmeisters from K Street in Washington or Madison Avenue in Manhattan, would it really do Alabama's head football coach any good?

To deal with a problem, Saban would first have to admit he has one. Then, he would have to sit still long enough to listen.

So until that day comes, assuming it ever does, I hope Saban will take this small bit of advice from me -- shut up already. Please. Do it before you inflict even more damage to yourself and the program.

(...and now the link. I was afraid if everyone saw the author's name up front, nobody would take time to read the article:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pf...amp;thispage=1)

Archived