UF player used deceased woman's credit card

SouthLink02

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3388268

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida Gators safety Jamar Hornsby has been kicked off the team after turning himself in Friday to answer charges he allegedly used the credit card of a woman killed six months ago in an accident that also killed a teammate.

SportsNation

Hornsby, 21, a sophomore from Jacksonville, faces a third-degree felony count of fraudulent use of a credit card for more than $100, and a misdemeanor charge of credit card theft.

"He is not a part of our program," Florida coach Urban Meyer said in a news release.

Hornsby allegedly used a credit card issued to Ashley Slonina, a University of Florida student who died in an October 2007 motorcycle accident that also took the life of Gators walk-on Michael Guilford. It was not known how Hornsby obtained the card.

The story was first reported by The Gainesville Sun.

Alachua County Sheriff's Office spokesman Stephen Maynard said the card was used 33 times in Alachua County and another 37 times in Jacksonville, for $3,000 in charges, the Sun reported.

"I would love to hear the explanation for utilizing the card of a deceased person," Maynard said, according to the report.

Hornsby is accused of using the card starting Oct. 13, 2007, the day after the woman's death, the newspaper said.

WOW

I wonder if they are trying to determine if he was involved in her death (and for that matter, the teammate's death). Sounds as if Urban considers it a distinct possibility.

he started using it the day after? Something is definitely suspicious about all that!! If the motorcycle crash wasn't suspicious then how in the world did he get it? How stupid do u have to be to be using it!!!

I hate it when the refer to motor vehicle crashes as accidents. Sure there was probably no intent to cause the wreck, but someone made a mistake to cause said wreck, i.e. following to close, speeding, not looking, etc.

Meyer kicked him off the team and I see the UF boards talking about how strict he is....what a joke

He had no choice.

One of the worst damn things I have seen a college player do

Meyer kicked him off the team and I see the UF boards talking about how strict he is....what a joke

He had no choice.

One of the worst damn things I have seen a college player do

It was a gas card. Cuz need some gas money to get to class. Cutting him a break ThUGA fan.

Archived