Dems threaten Lieberman,,,,,,,,

Tigermike

,,,,,, then back down and spin things differently.

Reid: Lieberman could lose his chairmanship

By Manu Raju

Posted: 05/12/08 06:50 PM [ET]

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) could be stripped of his chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee after the next election, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has said.

Speaking to MSNBC host Keith Olbermann on Friday, Reid suggested the former Democrat, who lost to a (far) left-wing primary challenger in 2006 and has now endorsed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for the presidency, is not guaranteed to keep his prestigious chairmanship.

Olbermann asked Reid if there was "anything that he could do that would make you move to take his leadership position away on Homeland Security." The majority leader responded: "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate. (Other than fall on his sword and endorse Obama, what else would the great real estate investor mean?)

Democratic aides cautioned not to read too closely into Reid’s comments, saying stripping Lieberman of his chairmanship remained a very unlikely scenario. (Until the dims win the White House and pick up several house and senate seats.)

"Sen. Lieberman votes with Democrats 85 or 90 percent of the time, except when it comes to Iraq and some national security issues," Jim Manley, Reid’s spokesman, said. (But he is not in lock step with the far left loonies running the show now.)

Reid has a close relationship with Lieberman, and stood by him after he was spurned by a number of fellow Democrats in 2006. Lieberman later won back his seat, running as an Independent, and agreed to caucus with Democrats to give them their narrow two-seat majority. Lieberman was awarded the chairmanship this Congress, but some have speculated that his leadership spot on the panel could be in jeopardy if Democrats don’t need him to keep their majority if they pick up more seats this November. (See what did I tell you.)

A staunch supporter of the Iraq war, Lieberman told The Hill that he would be willing to speak or even keynote the Republican National Convention if asked by McCain.

In Friday’s interview, Reid voiced criticism of Lieberman’s decision to support and campaign for McCain.

"I think it’s wrong what he’s done, and I told him that," Reid said.

But, as he has done before, Reid praised Lieberman as being "very good on issues," except for the war. (In reality Reid is usually wrong on everything. Except his real estate investments.)

Lieberman told The Hartford Courant last month that he and Reid have spoken a few times, and that "he knows there will be talk" of his losing the chairmanship if Democrats have more than 51 Senate seats next year.

But Lieberman added: "As far as he is concerned, I will retain my seniority, et cetera, no matter how many Democrats there are next year."

"Sen. Reid has made it clear that the chairmanship is absolutely not in jeopardy," a Lieberman aide said.

link

goodness, i guess you have to think exclusively like Reid and the gang to be liked. Can't have party disagreements anymore huh?

Maybe he'll give Obama the same treatment he's giving Lieberman, since Obama wants to bring the country together (both democrats and republicans) and work across the aisle. :rolleyes:

Obama is as far left as Michael Moore, yet he wants to "cross the isle" and bring America together with his staunch record of "bringing Washinton together"....;)

goodness, i guess you have to think exclusively like Reid and the gang to be liked. Can't have party disagreements anymore huh?

Maybe he'll give Obama the same treatment he's giving Lieberman, since Obama wants to bring the country together (both democrats and republicans) and work across the aisle. :rolleyes:

:lmao: Good one! Next thing you are going to tell me is that Karl Rove invited the Clintons over for dinner. :lol:

By Manu Raju

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) could be stripped of his chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee after the next election, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has said.

Speaking to MSNBC host Keith Olbermann on Friday, Reid suggested the former Democrat, who lost to a (far) left-wing primary challenger in 2006 and has now endorsed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for the presidency, is not guaranteed to keep his prestigious chairmanship.

Olbermann asked Reid if there was "anything that he could do that would make you move to take his leadership position away on Homeland Security." The majority leader responded: "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate. (Other than fall on his sword and endorse Obama, what else would the great real estate investor mean?)

[/b]

link

Olberman asked if there was ANYTHING that he could do. That is what you are basing this whole point on. Maybe he meant got caught hooking up with a guy in the restroom. Maybe being accused of killing a man. This is ridiculous. This is news?!?

By Manu Raju

[/b]

link

Olberman asked if there was ANYTHING that he could do. That is what you are basing this whole point on. Maybe he meant got caught hooking up with a guy in the restroom. Maybe being accused of killing a man. This is ridiculous. This is news?!?

You forgot the typical phrases....."could be", "suggested", "but some have speculated". Meaning, I'm just really making all this s&^t up

By Manu Raju

[/b]

link

It's not news to you? You knew all about this? Where did you read about it?

Reid suggested the former Democrat, who lost to a (far) left-wing primary challenger in 2006 and has now endorsed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for the presidency, is not guaranteed to keep his prestigious chairmanship.

Olbermann asked Reid if there was "anything that he could do that would make you move to take his leadership position away on Homeland Security." The majority leader responded: "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate.

OK what exactly do you think Reid meant when he said "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate.

By Manu Raju

[/b]

link

Reid suggested the former Democrat, who lost to a (far) left-wing primary challenger in 2006 and has now endorsed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for the presidency, is not guaranteed to keep his prestigious chairmanship.

Olbermann asked Reid if there was "anything that he could do that would make you move to take his leadership position away on Homeland Security." The majority leader responded: "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate.

OK what exactly do you think Reid meant when he said "Yes, of course," but did not elaborate.

I suspect if Joe became a republican that'd do it.

By Manu Raju

[/b]

link

I suspect if Joe became a republican that'd do it.

You are correct there is little doubt that would do it. But I think it is plain that the point of Reids "threat" non threat was that Lieberman's endorsement of McCain would be reason enough to take the chairmanship away.

Archived