Another Great Day on Capitol Hill

Justin5

Cocky Emanuel shows up to gloat

It's gotten so bad for House Republicans that Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) is giving them advice on their tarnished brand.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/cocky-...2008-05-14.html

Republicans turn up heat on Fossella

House GOP leaders, admittedly and visibly frustrated after their third-straight special-election loss, are turning up the pressure on Rep. Vito Fossella to declare his intentions, although not necessarily to decide it’s time to hang it up.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/republ...2008-05-14.html

House GOP mulls its options after Mississippi loss

House Republicans are scrambling to come up with answers after one of the most devastating electoral losses in recent memory.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/house-...2008-05-14.html

I wonder what we will do once all of the R's are gone. I'll miss them - they are actually pretty entertaining with all of the shouting and what not.

Well, since all things come and go in cycles, here's what will happen.

The Democrats will have one term in Congress, propelled into office by the collective repulsion of the American people at Bush and the drunken spending of Republicans, and will do their level best to overhaul the government along statist lines, completely forgetting the object lessons of the Great Society's failure.

The American people will begin to wig out and realize what Democrats really have in mind.

Meanwhile, the Republicans, having forgotten their party position of limiting government size and chastened at the polls because of it, will regroup and win the next round of elections. Hopefully, they'll tell the Christian Coalition to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Nevertheless, the Democratic grasp of Congress will be tenuous. After all, look what happened when Clinton and the Democrats swept into power in 1992.

Yeah, I know it goes in cycles. I'm just messing with yall.

Still, after these elections the D's will be in their second term in the majority.

Still, after these elections the D's will be in their second term in the majority.

Yup. Enjoy it while you can. Because it won't last very long at all.

And THAT is the whole problem with our government. WE really need a third party for the middle class......

I would practically bet money we stay in the majority until at least the 2014 elections. The Republican party needs to completely regroup and come up with a new message that people care about. Its too late for the 2008 elections, 2010 may just be everyone holding serve, 2012 could be the turning back but I doubt R's would pick up enough.

2014 is what R's should shoot for

Yup. Enjoy it while you can. Because it won't last very long at all.

Where are the Whig-Republicans going to win? Utah doesn't have 435 seats.

If you're being rejected in Mississippi and Louisiana, how are you going to retake Congress? The only possible way is a complete transformation from the slime that infects the party today. The national GOP is going to have to tell the followers of Citizens Council to play in the street if they want any meaningful representation in government in the upcoming decades.

Democrats ruled Congress from the 1940s to 1994. You can't act like the 2006 wipeout and upcoming 2008 beatdown are flukes. Republican control was an anomaly created by scare tactics and fueled by Monica Lewinsky's gums. Change, or it's over.

Archived